• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

World Spider-Man: DTV animated series

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
Looks like a new, straight-to-dvd Spider-Man cartoon series is being developed by Sony Films. It will be 13 episodes. I guess they’re aiming for next year to release this. Since this will be straight-to-dvd, there presumably won’t be any production issues with network restrictions—so maybe the action can be a lot more intense, and closer to the comics.
No word on if they’re going to ‘continue’ from the previous MTV show, or start over again.

hopefully they start over.... maybe retell his origins in a revamped 2 part episode premiere? they never really did that for spidey in the 90s like they did with the rest of the toons. except that one episode where he meets the little girl in season 3

I have a feeling that this one will be screwd up too. Why? Because they're not making this series out of a sincere desire to create a decent spidey cartoon that improves on the weaknesses of the previous animated shows. This is merely done to cash in on the release of the 3rd movie and for no other reason at all.

You make a lot of sense. And that should be their goal, if they want people to demand more episodes on DVD. I wonder if they'll show this on TV/Cable at all. But I'll still check it out.

Yeah definately. I'll be buying this if it looks good but I hope my fears dont come true and sony actually put in the effort to make a very interesting and enjoyable series. If that is the case and people respond well to it, I dont see why we shouldn't get more episodes.

I'm pretty excited to hear about this.:up: I'm just wondering if it's going to be like Avengers, and be based on the Ultimate line. I wouldn't mind it, but I would prefer a regular universe Spidey, especially with a Romita look to it. I hope they get the the Peter Parker look right also, he looked way off in the 90's series.

Im pumped for this, i've been wanting a new series ever since the fox episodes got cancelled. I didnt like the mtv episodes they were so bland.

Hopefully this one will be more stylised and the lack of restrictions are shown in the final product. mainly i want more violence, thought that was always lackin in every spidey cartoon.

I think it's a very good sign they are doing a direct to DVD. Usually the only reason they do that is because it's too mature to be put onto a Fox 4 Kids lineup.

GhostPoet said:
I think it's a very good sign they are doing a direct to DVD. Usually the only reason they do that is because it's too mature to be put onto a Fox 4 Kids lineup.

Thats still no excuse. We had the 90s TAS, x-men, x-men evolution, batman tas, justice league etc. There have been some pretty impressive shows, spider-man deserves the same treatment of handeling and care that doesn't hinder it from being aired on tv.

I would put Spider-Man TAS as one of the best, even if censored to death and some poorly written episodes here and there.

Do I think we should get another close to the comics? Sure. Will it be made only for money, yep just like all cartoons are really.

i am as pumped as anyone here to learn that a new spidey DVD is being produced, but my question is, why don't they also release the 90s cartoons as well. they have released 4 (i think) DVD of the 90s cartoon, why don't they release them ALL!??!

theyve released 5 or 6

Ultimate Villain Showdown
Return of the Green Goblin
Spider-Man Vs. Daredevil
Spider-Man Vs. Doc Ock
The Venom Saga

If Sony had any sense, they'd snatch up Bruce Timm, who just finished up the excellent Justice league cartoon.

They should just hand the show completely over to HIM, and let him go totally ape-****, like he did with Batman: TAS....i think with Timm in charge of a new Spidey toon, the 90's series would quickly become a distant memory.

Anyway, as long as it's not an adaption of the Ultimate version, i'll probably check it out.

hmm.. Isnt timm supervising WB animations justice league/superman DTVs right now though?

SsM said:
hmm.. Isnt timm supervising WB animations justice league/superman DTVs right now though?

Not sure. I wonder if he could do both?

hes bruce timm OF COURSE he could :/ but I know they revealed at comicon that hes "overseeing" some WB animation projects.

I hope they don't use the thin & lengthy Spider-Man from the Mtv series. I want to see a bulkier Spider-Man like he was in the 80's & 90's cartoon series only in the costume from the movies.

I hope they don't make up villains in this series.

Its a testament to just how uninspired and poorly planned the mtv show was that it could get cancelled so quickly at a time when Spiderman is at his most popular ever. For some reason execs think anime style is the only thing kids want to watch, but they never put anything else out there to test that theory. A DTV series? That doesnt even make sense, just make movies..

I'll be getting it,but I do hope it's not based on the Ultimate line

as long as they used the kid that voiced peter/spidey in the USM game to do peter.. I would be fine with an ultimate cartoon.. it would go well with the ultimate avengers movies....

SsM said:

Even if thats the case, all sony have to do is wave a fat-ass pay cheque thats too big to turn down, which in turn is peanuts compared to the returns they'll get.

13een said:
I wonder if its based on 616 or Ultimate.

If its 616 spidey, I'd love for either zach Braf (sp?) or Will friedel to do the voice of peter/spidey.

If its ultimate, well they can get any teenage punk kid to do the voice, most of them sound the same anyway.

Wasn't there a Hobgoblin 3-D clip that someone was working on that was suppose to be for this show?If it was,then it looks like there not going to do ultimate,which is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"