Discussion: Media, The Press, Journalism, Cable News, Media Bias, and Other Media Issues

Al Jazeera to launch rightwing media platform targeting US conservatives | Al Jazeera | The Guardian

Oh boy just what the world needs more rightwing slanted or lying news media. And good luck getting the racist whites to watch anything from something called Al Jazeera, even if it's called "Rightly".

Eh... The Righties got over their antipathy to the Russkies pretty fast and embraced RT and Putin once they saw that a space was provided to spew their rhetoric with no care for editorial control of any kind that hewed to journalistic standards.

I think if AJ does similar then they'll get over the Middle East, Muslim thing.

Interestingly AJ has a relatively good rep for honesty in their reporting from what I have gathered over the years. Going the Newsmax route to snag American/English language reactionaries feels like a shift to me.

And not a positive one.

I think if AJ does this we'll see that "Near Enemy/Far Enemy" dynamic. Yeah... There is no love for Muslims on the Right but... The reactionary focus in America now is on the "near" enemy.

The cognitive dissonance...

And you know what? There will be people online and in public who have spread this **** for years who will in a blink of an eye put that all in the memory hole or win gold medal at mental gymnastics to act as though this isn't so.

This is EXACTLY the fascist play book.

Because power for the purposes of punishing the "enemy" is all that these people are concerned with so truth, sober analysis, or just sticking to your own loudly and publicly distributed principles can all go take a hike.

And there are far to many just willing to go along with it.

This is not the best angle to take. Some of his supporters were probably chanting QAnon with this coming out on a TV behind them embarrassing them. I love it when they get their wires crossed like Blame Antifa for the riots - no it was only us patriots at the Capitol saving democracy! Wait, whoops.

It does bring up the issue of why it’s so damn difficult to go solar. When I did it only took a month or something like that but I didn’t have to build a shed. Bill’s probably got a nicer house than I do though.
Two people across the street from me just put panels on their house this week. Yay, Massachusetts? :p

If you can help do PR propaganda for your brother, you can damn well cover how much of a POS he is.

Can any of the anchors on these 24/7 news channels really be considered journalists? They just give their commentary now rather than reporting the actual news.

Can any of the anchors on these 24/7 news channels really be considered journalists? They just give their commentary now rather than reporting the actual news.

The likes of Chris Cuomo, Don Lemon, Lawrence O’Donnell etc are definitely monologuing commentators.

The Conversation - Misinformation-spewing cable companies come under scrutiny
If its services help deliver misinformation to your home, what responsibility does Comcast have for that?

Looking at political violence in the U.S., a New Jersey state legislator sent a text message to an executive of cable television giant Comcast: “You feed this garbage, lies and all.” The cable channels Fox News and Newsmax were “complicit” in the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol insurrection, the lawmaker, Assemblyman Paul Moriarty, said. Like other cable companies, Comcast brings those channels into American homes. What, Moriarty asked, was Comcast going to do about them in the wake of the assault on democracy?

A few days later, Washington Post columnist Max Boot suggested Comcast might soon “need to step in and kick Fox News off,” as a consequence of its assistance to Trump’s incitement of insurrection. A similar suggestion by Democratic members of Congress ignited considerable controversy and became a subject of contention at a subsequent hearing on “disinformation and extremism in the media.”

A CNN media reporter, Oliver Darcy, observed that Facebook, Twitter and Google have faced significant pressure to curb disinformation on their platforms – especially since Jan. 6. But, Darcy said, “somehow [cable providers] have escaped scrutiny and entirely dodged this conversation,” even though they are also “lending their platforms to dishonest companies that profit off of disinformation and conspiracy theories.”

As a researcher who studies both television news distribution and how profit motivates the spread of falsehoods, I’m curious about whether it’s feasible – or wise – for cable companies to play moderator to the channels they carry.

Hi all, I'm not sure this is the right place for the below clip. It does involve the media and bias, sort of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"