Disney in talks to buy Fox: X-Men Homecoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a non-issue and a skewed way of presenting the situation to suit a narrative IMO. If Fox want out then they are gone anyway. Almost seems like it's trying to blame Marvel for getting the rights back.

No. X-Men is a Marvel property. X-Men is not an IP that Fox created on its own.

The world that X-Men inhabit can coexist alongside those of the Avengers. It just so happens, however, that if X-Men needed to--it can stand on its own with no help from Marvel whatsoever.

To say that getting the rights back to their own IP is tantamount to getting lower quality films, is downright insulting given the absolutely fantastic track record that Marvel has.

I mean seriously, guys. Who wrote the book on X-Men mythology and lore? I can tell you it certainly not Fox... and they sure as hell didn't know what to do about Apocalypse.

Once again, these are still Marvel's characters. Let's also not pretend that Fox is like some benevolent entity delivering us the best in quality entertainment. Look, I love Deadpool. Logan was a very good film. But News Corp. is a for profit, publicly traded company. They aren't in it for the art. They aren't in it for offering diversity in entertainment.

Did Deadpool being different help work in that movie's favor? Most definitely. But Fox put Deadpool on the shelf for over six years. People may have forgotten, but I haven't how much of a joke it became that the movie was languishing in development hell for that long. The talk of this awesome script being around lasted for years, and the awesome test reel. Yet Fox still wouldn't pull the trigger.

And also once again, look how long it took for us just to get a movie like Deadpool after so many false starts and after they've held the rights for years. I guess my point is that we shouldn't automatically credit Fox just because they made Deadpool and Logan. It took a lot of struggling and hand-wringing for those types of projects to happen as well as a lot of failures.

Last edited:

The world that X-Men inhabit can coexist alongside those of the Avengers. It just so happens, however, that if X-Men needed to--it can stand on its own with no help from Marvel whatsoever.

To say that getting the rights back to their own IP is tantamount to getting lower quality films, is downright insulting given the absolutely fantastic track record that Marvel has.

I mean seriously, guys. Who wrote the book on X-Men mythology and lore? I can tell you it certainly not Fox... and they sure as hell didn't know what to do about Apocalypse.

giphy.gif

:up:

Once again, these are still Marvel's characters. Let's also not pretend that Fox is like some benevolent entity delivering us the best in quality entertainment. Look, I love Deadpool. Logan was a very good film. But News Corp. is a for profit, publicly traded company. They aren't in it for the art. They aren't in it for offering diversity in entertainment.

Did Deadpool being different help work in that movie's favor? Most definitely. But Fox put Deadpool on the shelf for over six years. People may have forgotten, but I haven't how much of a joke it became that the movie was languishing in development hell for that long. The talk of this awesome script being around lasted for years, and the awesome test reel. Yet Fox still wouldn't pull the trigger.

And also once again, look how long it took for us just to get a movie like Deadpool after so many false starts and after they've held the rights for years. I guess my point is that we shouldn't automatically credit Fox just because they made Deadpool and Logan. It took a lot of struggling and hand-wringing for those types of projects to happen as well as a lot of failures.

You two said it best.

no. X-men is a marvel property. X-men is not an ip that fox created on its own.

The world that x-men inhabit can coexist alongside those of the avengers. It just so happens, however, that if x-men needed to--it can stand on its own with no help from marvel whatsoever.

To say that getting the rights back to their own ip is tantamount to getting lower quality films, is downright insulting given the absolutely fantastic track record that marvel has.

I mean seriously, guys. who wrote the book on x-men mythology and lore? i can tell you it certainly not fox... And they sure as hell didn't know what to do about apocalypse.
preach.

Ok, the FOX-MEN don't belong in the MCU. The X-MEN however do. WTH, X-Men are a big part of the Marvel Universe, so why the heck would they not belong? This author seriously needs to get a grip and realize that the X-Men property belong to MARVEL, not FOX. Sheesh.

I get what he is trying to say about competition, and opportunity, and so on. However that is true IF you only look at the situation through the lens of how Hollywood has traditionally been run and operated. The world outside of how things were done before has changed drastically.

Just a click bait article.

At least he didn't wait till right after the record breaking IW trailer.

:up:

Absolutely. And if the goal is "diversity" how about something different than what we're getting from Fox?

Fox telling the same story over and over again doesn't add diversity.

I don't think you would even have the Fox X-Men put into the MCU. Marvel would obviously want to reboot it and make it their own. I think the only property you keep is probably Deadpool, which IMHO would work fine on its own in its own corner of Marvel Studios. If they keep wanting to make Deadpool movies.

I don't think you would even have the Fox X-Men put into the MCU. Marvel would obviously want to reboot it and make it their own. I think the only property you keep is probably Deadpool, which IMHO would work fine on its own in its own corner of Marvel Studios. If they keep wanting to make Deadpool movies.

Probably right.

I personally believe the bitterness and sassy comments from Spider-Man fans during pre Homecoming release will be magnified by 100 during X-MEN MCU reboot with X-fans

I'll just be like "Feige take the wheel"

I just want to see the X-men and I get enthusiastic about upcoming movies and projects. We're getting three X-films next year and I think that's pretty exciting. I don't think Apocalypse is a good enough indicator of DP's quality since I loved DOFP and the problems with Apocalypse were at the foundational level specific to that film (closing the FC trilogy, trying to be a disaster movie).

If Marvel ends up getting the rights back, I wouldn't be angry and would find things to get hyped about with whatever plans they might have. I think a lot of people make solid points about how much the MCU stays true to things like characterization and feel. But the X-men in the MCU would not be my first choice. I don't see a spot for the X-men in the IW trailer - that's not the world I picture the X-men in (as much as I love some MCU movies). Either way I'll be a content fan, but I just can't see this deal happening.

My issue is not with Marvel Entertainment, my concerns center around Marvel Studios.

I love the stuff Marvel Entertainment is doing on Netflix, Hulu, FX, and Fox. That level of pushing the limits and addressing social issues fits the X-Men. I can't see that even touched upon in the MCU with any real value or substance.

If the X-Men was on a streaming service or if they created another studio dedicated to the X-Men Universe with a multi-universe connection to the MCU, I will 100% support all of it.

FF4 belongs in MCU proper. No debate there.

My issue is not with Marvel Entertainment, my concerns center around Marvel Studios.

I love the stuff Marvel Entertainment is doing on Netflix, Hulu, FX, and Fox. That level of pushing the limits and addressing social issues fits the X-Men. I can't see that even touched upon in the MCU with any real value or substance.

If the X-Men was on a streaming service or if they created another studio dedicated to the X-Men Universe with a multi-universe connection to the MCU, I will 100% support all of it.

The gay rights undercurrent installed by Bryan 'I'm Next" Singer in the Fox-Men series was fresh when it was introduced nearly two decades ago, but that's hardly all I think about when I think of the X-Men. They're superheroes, not perennial victims.

I don't see Feige and company redoing what has already been done over and over and over again by FOX (Magneto heel turns! Mystique as Uber Mutant! Wasted,mute characters! Wonky Continuity! Terrible Costumes!) But I'm sure they won't fully abandon the social issues if the Mouse takes over. The MCU has more jokes and less whining, but they have dealt with serious topics like military oversight, mental health and colonialism. If the deal goes through the X-Men will be in great hands.

Thinking that the X-men should be quippy traditional superheroes and stories about oppression are whiny and too serious are exactly why Disney worries me

Last edited:
hmmmmmm.

So, here's the thing, if Reynolds even mentions the deal once in one of the DP2 promo things he does... would it nix the deal, or blow the doors of the negotiators dragging feet off their cars?

I want to see a well done Cyclops as well. I admit, his was the worst served of all the characters under Faux.

Thinking that the X-men should be quippy traditional superheroes and stories about oppression are whiny and too serious are exactly why Disney worries me
It's not like Fox has always done right by the X-Men franchise. They've done plenty to worry about. X-Men 3. X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

SleekStereo:

Yesterday 08:08 PM

Wow. Right after reading through a bunch of posts responding to that article thinking the opposite, I come by this post and it's a more refined opposite. lol

Marvel Entertainment > Marvel Studios to be purely Marvel... Ok then.

Thankfully your opinions are irrelevant and you will likely stew in your own pi$$ and vinegar if the deal happens. Happy pull list hunting in the future.

Bring FF and X-Men home where they belong.

Last edited:

Damn, Marvel Studios really needs sleeksterios support, he's the key. Hope this doesn't kill any potential deasl. Iger isn't reading this. Iger isn't reading this. Iger isn't reading this. Iger isn't reading this....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"