Disney in talks to buy Fox: X-Men Homecoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gay rights undercurrent installed by Bryan 'I'm Next" Singer in the Fox-Men series was fresh when it was introduced nearly two decades ago, but that's hardly all I think about when I think of the X-Men. They're superheroes, not perennial victims.

I'm beginning to understand why the Fox-Men fans love Singer so much, they play the victim's just as well as some of the cast did, and more convincing then many of the cast members could ever hope for.

#blackleatherfetish

Last edited:
Damn, Marvel Studios really needs sleeksterios support, he's the key. Hope this doesn't kill any potential deasl. Iger isn't reading this. Iger isn't reading this. Iger isn't reading this. Iger isn't reading this....

So you are going to be condescending and not provide a real reply on theMarvel Studios concerns. Gotcha.

So you are going to be condescending and not provide a real reply on theMarvel Studios concerns. Gotcha.

Why should I care about your concerns? They aren't mine and I figure most people, particularly the fans, wouldn't share them. Hence the sarcasm.

I get it though, not everything is for everyone, as I'm sure you've experienced first hand. Or more then just this occasion.

It's not like Fox has always done right by the X-Men franchise. They've done plenty to worry about. X-Men 3. X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Simon Frikkin' Kinberg is a slap in the face to every fan of the X-Men. That's a clear message from Fox: "We think you'll pay to see anything with the X-Men Name on it, so we're not going to even bother to get a talented writer director. We're giving you our of-the-shelf hack and we expect you to eat it up."

Thinking that the X-men should be quippy traditional superheroes and stories about oppression are whiny and too serious are exactly why Disney worries me
Has Fox ever done anything worthy with that angle? Aside from a joke or two and half baked analogies?

I think everyone forgets the themes of tragedy and abuse in GOTG. Not every MCU movie is fun yet somewhat mindless like The Avengers. Marvel knows what makes their characters popular and does a great job using that, so I wouldn’t be worried.

But what about the classic X-Men that aren’t Logan and Deadpool? Does no one else notice the movies people are scared of losing are Logan and Deadpool and not “X-Men” movies?

Seems like general film fans rather than X-Men fans.

I think everyone forgets the themes of tragedy and abuse in GOTG. Not every MCU movie is fun yet somewhat mindless like The Avengers. Marvel knows what makes their characters popular and does a great job using that, so I wouldn’t be worried.

I get you.

For example, Thor :Ragnarok was very funny, yet at the same time to story present big stakes and significant consequences for both Thor’s personal storyline as well as the MCU at large. Now I don't think X-Men should have that type of tone, but I know MANY “serious” Comic films from other companies that I won’t name right now that by the time the movie was done, there were NO major consequences or ramifications, even if they were very good. I’m not worried about how Marvel Studios does X-Men (as long as Feige is around).

Simon Frikkin' Kinberg is a slap in the face to every fan of the X-Men. That's a clear message from Fox: "We think you'll pay to see anything with the X-Men Name on it, so we're not going to even bother to get a talented writer director. We're giving you our of-the-shelf hack and we expect you to eat it up."

I don't see many Fox fans actually defending Kinberg. He seems to be one of the few points most people agree on. Nobody has confidence in him.

Thankfully your opinions are irrelevant and you will likely stew in your own pi$$ and vinegar if the deal happens. Happy pull list hunting in the future.

Bring FF and X-Men home where they belong.
It seems like you're getting pretty worked up, maybe you should take a breather. My opinion matters as much as yours does on a superhero forum, at least I'm not presenting mine in a nasty way like you. The X-men are a minority made up of orphans, people who are either scared of their powers or have powers that make them scary, and have seen loss and abuse. They also find new families, different ways of empowering themselves, and find beauty in their struggles. If you think this means the X-men are whiny victims, I'm not sure why you would care where the X-men end up.

Seems like general film fans rather than X-Men fans.

Yeah. Personally speaking, I care more about a potentially good Fantastic Four and X-Men team films than another Deadpool or Logan. The latter has no replay value for me.

I used to be against the X-Men joining the MCU but at this point, I just want it to happen. Keep Deadpool its own thing if they have to, but all the villains and characters involved with the X-Men and F4 is just crazy.

Plus, a lot of people complain about the lack of female characters in the MCU, well that could easily fix that.

Yeah. Personally speaking, I care more about a potentially good Fantastic Four and X-Men team films than another Deadpool or Logan. The latter has no replay value for me.

Those films are great but they are the icing on the cake. I can see why people who aren't really source material fans but fans of film in general would rather get good films full stop even if they are about Senator Kelly and his family rather than getting the main X-characters right. I can understand it, it's just a different viewpoint. Just surprised our viewpoint isn't clearer to some of them. Maybe they would act differently on something where they really cared about and were lifelong fans of the source material.

It seems like you're getting pretty worked up, maybe you should take a breather. My opinion matters as much as yours does on a superhero forum, at least I'm not presenting mine in a nasty way like you. The X-men are a minority made up of orphans, people who are either scared of their powers or have powers that make them scary, and have seen loss and abuse. They also find new families, different ways of empowering themselves, and find beauty in their struggles. If you think this means the X-men are whiny victims, I'm not sure why you would care where the X-men end up.

I'm hyperventilating at the thought of a quippy Stark-like Logan, it's my dream come true man. And the thought of the end of the Fox-Men makes me hard. :o No need for the persecution complex. :cwink:

Seriously, as a fan of the source material and knowing what the company who created them could FINALLY do with them, well, that pretty much sums up why I care.

I don't think I've ever read a Wolverine that was anything like Iron Man. I just can't agree that quips are more important than getting the X-men's themes and tone right. Not sure what stories you want to see on screen if you don't want to see the X-men struggle to save a world that hates and fears them (does the X-men's iconic tagline express too much of a persecution complex for you and the MCU?).

I don't think I've ever read a Wolverine that was anything like Iron Man. I just can't agree that quips are more important than getting the X-men's themes and tone right.

It was a joke..

But I keep hearing that BS from some people regarding a potential MCU X-Men, so I thought I was playing to the crowd for a lolz.

Anyway, the X-Men haven't lived up to their potential and that's that.

Last edited:
Beast is the key imo. He sucks in X-MEN movies (He's ok in X3). He can be an Avenger + X-MEN. Characters like him can help bridge the gap in MCU

Those films are great but they are the icing on the cake. I can see why people who aren't really source material fans but fans of film in general would rather get good films full stop even if they are about Senator Kelly and his family rather than getting the main X-characters right. I can understand it, it's just a different viewpoint. Just surprised our viewpoint isn't clearer to some of them. Maybe they would act differently on something where they really cared about and were lifelong fans of the source material.

Personally, I'm a general film fan and a fan of the X-Men film/TV series as-is, just not the comics. I can understand your position; I just don't share it. For example, I'm a fan of Jackman's Wolverine. I don't want Wolverine to be a short a*****e in yellow spandex. Aside from not being the Wolverine I know, that just doesn't sound too appealing to me, and the limited experience I've had with comic book Wolverine has done nothing to change my mind. People complain about too much focus on Mystique in the movies, but Mystique is one of my favorite characters. I don't care that she's not "supposed" to be one of the main ones.

And, yeah, I don't have any desire to see them turned into a standard MCU film, not just because I like them the way they are, not just because I doubt the MCU would handle the content right, but because the more superhero films that are enveloped by the MCU model, the more samey the genre's going to get.

I don't want Wolverine to be a short a*****e in yellow spandex.

People complain about too much focus on Mystique in the movies, but Mystique is one of my favorite characters. I don't care that she's not "supposed" to be one of the main ones.

Damn you FOX!

I just can't agree that quips are more important than getting the X-men's themes and tone right.
I doubt anyone in here is being reductive like that, only expecting quips to improve on the Fox movies.

I agree with the point that X-Men are a superhero team, even if they're disliked. I don't think this has come across that well in recent movies.

And I disagree that Marvel will ignore what makes X-Men the X-Men, because that would imply they don't get one of their most important properties in the first place. The X-Men are a Marvel property Fox didn't invent them.
but because the more superhero films that are enveloped by the MCU model, the more samey the genre's going to get.
I feel X-Men movies are already samey amongst themselves, which is one of the reasons I think Apocalypse presented a decline in box office.

If anything a paint of MCU will actually make the proceedings fresh for once.

I'll give you that Quicksilver FOX version actually seems to work well despite not being like the comic character. Mystique however doesn't work for me precisely because they're changing the character from the books. She just doesn't fit as a hero to me. Somethings worked in comics for a reason, and it shouldn't be changed.

Last edited:
24175385_219324381942427_5773243486790746112_n.jpg

Disney will end up buying Fox because The Simpsons already predicted this happening years ago!

Last edited:
Damn you FOX!

Hey, let'em keep at it. There's more than a $200M decline between Apocalypse and DOFP at the box office. So lets look at all the negatives with Dark Phoenix and see if Fincher will continue getting things his way...

- No one asked for another Dark Phoenix.
- There's no real build up to this plot line or anything (See dismal Justice League's box office and low RT rating as a reminder of what happens with half *ssing plots. Heck look at Apocalypse end result while we're at it).
- No one asked for Kinberg to produce, direct or write Dark Phoenix
- Kinberg was partly responsible for the last film that involved the Phoenix.
- Fincher singles out moviegoers and fans not being too fond of Mystique in X-men films but leaves out the negative remarks of that actor who hates getting dressed up to play the part. That and she'd rather be in GOTG.
- If the Disney purchase of Fox doesn't go through it only exposes the difference between what Fox does with Marvel films even more and leaves a bad taste in moviegoers mouths. (Plus this isn't a rated R film so that gimmick wont save this project either)

So did I miss anything?

....and that's a Fox show saying that. Think about it. :sly:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"