Do You Have A Problem With A Lack Of Adult Marvel Content Now That Netflix Marvel And Fox Are Gone?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
Marvel Netflix ended, and with its end caps off an era of adult Marvel content. DC isn’t perfect, but I think I love their diversity — no, I’m not talking about racial diversity I’m more talking about the tonal variety Marvel’s competitor DC has where they can release a PG-13 Shazam movie and a R-elseworlds Rated Joker movie within the same year, and it’s all okay because DC doesn’t care about continuity or hewing to a family friendly market. This isn’t just a thread for the movies, I’m also talking about the shows as well, particularly Marvel’s continued refusal to do PG-13 or R-rated animated movies like DC has been doing, opting instead for the kiddie animated shows. There’s nothing wrong with kids stuff but most of here know that there are plenty of comics that are more on the mature, adult side of things.

Wouldn’t you guys want to see an animated adaption of Kraven’s Last Hunt, or an adaption of Death Of Gwen Stacy, or heck want to see a animated raunchy Deadpool show in the style of the excellent Harley Quinn show? I have to say I think the DC model may be superior to Marvel, imo. It’s a lot less limiting. DC has room for everything; You can have R-rated tv shows that explore the darker side of the comics but you can also have more family friendly movies and show like Shazam and Brave And the Bold. Everybody wins.

Last edited:
DC also has absolutely no continuity. None. I get what you are saying about Marvel and they should have some darker things but just seeing DC throw ish against the wall to see what sticks is nauseating. I'd rather deal with Marvel's lack of a dark side than deal with DC's constant scrapping everything and starting over when all doesn't go as planned. Can you imagine if Marvel was owned by the WB and the original IronMan didn't do well? There would be no MCU!!

Wouldn’t you guys want to see an animated adaption of Kraven’s Last Hunt, or an adaption of Death Of Gwen Stacy, or heck want to see a animated raunchy Deadpool show in the style of the excellent Harley Quinn show? I have to say I think the DC model may be superior to Marvel, imo. It’s a lot less limiting. DC has room for everything; You can have R-rated tv shows that explore the darker side of the comics but you can also have more family friendly movies and show like Shazam and Brave And the Bold. Everybody wins.

A lot of room for total garbage such as Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman, Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey...

The MCU is great but I won't lie I do crave more adult CBMs at times. And it seems they will become less and less now with Marvel taking over Fox. I don't see Sony doing any and DC will do the occasional one but not often unfortunately.

Just gotta hope the family level CBMs stay as good as they have been recently.

Not at all. Its not like Endgame, The Winter Solider, Civil War and Infinity War are kid movies and as deep or light as Disney channel made for tv films. Thats not the case @ all. I will have a problem if their output is as bad as Dark PhoeniX, the New Mutants, Elektra and X-Men Origins: wolverine.

Yes. That isn't to dismiss the films as kids stuff. I love those films and Iron Man has been my favorite character for a long time. But there is a big difference in the tone that is suitable for a character like Spider-Man or Fantastic Four and what is suitable or Daredevil or Punisher or Deadpool. That's why I will miss the Netflix shows. I don't think that Disney will ever go where it needs to onscreen for some of these darker, grittier and/or sometimes raunchier characters. Maybe they will prove me wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it. We had the best of both worlds with the larger global and galactic based superheroes on the big screen and the smaller street level guys on Netflix, and that is now no longer true.

While I really enjoyed most of the Netflix shows, I honestly don't see any reason why those kinds of shows NEED to be existing Marvel properties. They featured largely unknown, non-costumed characters (for the most part) using low-budget superpowers in realistic settings and in stories that had no meaningful connection to the MCU. Why can't Netflix just make original adult-oriented stories about newly created superpowered characters? It's not like the average viewer knew who Jessica Jones or Luke Cage were before they saw those shows, after all.

While I really enjoyed most of the Netflix shows, I honestly don't see any reason why those kinds of shows NEED to be existing Marvel properties. They featured largely unknown, non-costumed characters (for the most part) using low-budget superpowers in realistic settings and in stories that had no meaningful connection to the MCU. Why can't Netflix just make original adult-oriented stories about newly created superpowered characters? It's not like the average viewer knew who Jessica Jones or Luke Cage were before they saw those shows, after all.

The Boys springs to mind as a perfectly successful non-marvel or dc take on the more adult side of superheros.

Well, Helstrom is coming via Hulu...

Without doing any statistical analysis, I'm going to assume that next to no one is even aware of Helstrom. The fact that the first trailer didn't even have the Marvel logo is...odd. Even shows as bad as Inhumans or Iron Fist had it. The Netflix shows- there was anticipation for it. There was even talk for shows like Runaways and Cloak & Dagger. Who's really talking about Helstrom?

The Netflix shows were never canon and were nothing more than excrement on the bottom of the MCU's foot.

It was never all connected.

Reading through some of these posts, it's clear that people missed the point of what Detective Conan was saying. Clearly by "adult" he meant more mature, R rated, darker, etc. He wasn't saying the MCU was baby town frolic either.

Anyway, I do have a bit of a problem. I'm very worried about SH content, particularly from Marvel, becoming more homogenized.

I would like more mature or whatever programming from Marvel characters to go along with the mainstream, wider appeal. Whether that be TV, Games, or animation. I just don't think we're gonna get that or anything just mature (like Logan, Legion, Netflix Daredevil, etc.) from the MCU for while. For example with Blade. I have no interest in an MCU Blade movie, Mahershala Ali or not, if it's going to be anything like the other MCU movies tonally

Like I'm really bummed we won't get anything like Logan on film for a while. We never are gonna get the Noah Hawley Doctor Doom movie or even the idea of that. At least there's not evidence we will yet.

Right now? No, I don't have a problem with it. WandaVision and Falcon & The Winter Soldier could be a way to tell some darker, more adult stories for TV, even on Disney+.

The Netflix shows were nice because they gave you that sort of adult storytelling, but it often came at a cost. They would often ignore or strip away all the comic book-style or iconic elements to make everything more gritty and realistic.

To me that defeats the whole purpose of adapting these stories. I don't want darker, grittier and more adult at the cost of the iconography.

Who's really talking about Helstrom?

Me, but only in the sense that I continue boggling over the fact that this show even exists. *ahem*

Seriously, I want to know the full behind the scenes tale. It'd probably be fascinating, in a sort of "rube goldberg" sense. Almost certainly more fascinating than the show itself will be, if the trailers are accurate indicators.

Reading through some of these posts, it's clear that people missed the point of what Detective Conan was saying. Clearly by "adult" he meant more mature, R rated, darker, etc. He wasn't saying the MCU was baby town frolic either.

Well, at least in my case, I didn't miss his point at all. I recognized it and specifically rejected it as being meaningful. In almost all cases, the active pursuit of "adult-ness" is at best a neutral decision, and more often constitutes a detriment to the work in question, due to the presence of a juvenile fetishization of "adult-ness". For every creative work that benefits from being free to investigate concepts and ideas that are intrinsically child-unfriendly, there are many many more that simply wallow in superficial gore, sex, and grimness with all the depth of a kiddy pool. And this isn't even touching how the core definition of "adult" revolves around a set of ratings standards for content appropriateness that have only the vaguest correlation with anything resembling maturity.

Yes, I do. Variety is the spice of life.

Right now? No, I don't have a problem with it. WandaVision and Falcon & The Winter Soldier could be a way to tell some darker, more adult stories for TV, even on Disney+.

The Netflix shows were nice because they gave you that sort of adult storytelling, but it often came at a cost. They would often ignore or strip away all the comic book-style or iconic elements to make everything more gritty and realistic.

To me that defeats the whole purpose of adapting these stories. I don't want darker, grittier and more adult at the cost of the iconography.
tenor.gif

I honestly believe that's why Fiege isn't including the netflix shows in the MCU. They are to real and gritty and don't fit into the MCU.

The NetfliX BORED the heck out of me. I swear there were so many scenes in which characters talk for ten minutes straight. It was like Netflix really wanted to hit each episode the 60 minute mark. The shows were tedious to watch. and the refusal to go "comic booky" was frustrating. I mean its fine if they don't want Jessica Jones and Luke Cage to wear an outlandish outfit, but Iron Fist? I also thought the costumes of Daredevil, Elektra and the Punisher looked terrible. It looked like they were going to attend NYCC wearing their fan made costumes.

It is weird that they will not allow the Marvel branding/logo on Helstrom which is a TV-MA/R-Rated show, but are fine with the likes of the Netflix, Legion, Deadpool and Logan having it. I known Disney used the excuse of it being a horror show to keep the branding off of Helstrom but I just don’t understand it.

Most likely Helstrom is a one and done and would have been canceled right away just like Ghost Rider, if the show didn't already start filming after Marvel studios took overMarvel Television. Its not weird when you realized the NetfliX/Freeform/Hulu Marvel shows were canceled due to that reason. Them taking out the Marvel just shows Marvel Studios don't want any Marvel live action shows that aren't from their unit.

Not weird if you were aware by the recent cancellations.

I tend to think that has much more to do with the specifics of the show: that it is something Marvel Studios doesn't really want anything to do with, and is only happening at all because. . . something something internal politics something.

No, I don't have a problem with the lack of it. I loved some of the Netflix stuff, especially Daredevil, but it's not like there is a shortage of films and shows to pick from if I want something more towards that tone since I don't need the superhero genre to cover everything.

I might of course also be a bit unusual since I don't even think TDK managed a script that fit the tone all that well, so there hasn't been a ton of darker and grittier things that I thought were executed well all the way through in the superhero genre, I've always seen that as a concept done better outside the genre. Especially if I want something really dark.

So would I like to see more of things along the lines of Daredevil or the coming Batman film? Yes. I just don't have a problem with if I don't get it.

The Netflix shows were never canon and were nothing more than excrement on the bottom of the MCU's foot.

It was never all connected.

Not true. The invasion of New York from Avengers 1 was featured in a headline newspaper ad in DareDevil:

main-qimg-7946e59597987a93f6318652330f5292.webp

And Foggy Nelson namedrops Captain America at one point in the show:

And various other references. They keep it "obscure" enough by not having the movies reference the Netflix shows, but come on, that's pretty clear, indisputable evidence right there it's all connected.

And like others have said, yes, I would not because I "need" to see guts, gore, F-bombs, etc. to be entertained (which is kinda overstated in the context of R-rated/adult content because The Conjuring didn't have ANY nudity, gore or F-bombs and it was R), but because having exclusively family-friendly Marvel content would feel homogenized. I dread them cancelling the Ghost Rider Hulu series because Ghost Rider is a property that has sick, untapped potential with an adult TV series that we'll sadly never get to see now and the character definitely lends itself to more adult storytelling.

Luckily, latest reports are saying Deadpool 3 will, in fact, be R-rated under the 20th Century Studios banner, so there's that, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"