Do You Have A Problem With A Lack Of Adult Marvel Content Now That Netflix Marvel And Fox Are Gone?

Not true. The invasion of New York from Avengers 1 was featured in a headline newspaper ad in DareDevil:

main-qimg-7946e59597987a93f6318652330f5292.webp

And Foggy Nelson namedrops Captain America at one point in the show:

And various other references. They keep it "obscure" enough by not having the movies reference the Netflix shows, but come on, that's pretty clear, indisputable evidence right there it's all connected.

And like others have said, yes, I would not because I "need" to see guts, gore, F-bombs, etc. to be entertained (which is kinda overstated in the context of R-rated/adult content because The Conjuring didn't have ANY nudity, gore or F-bombs and it was R), but because having exclusively family-friendly Marvel content would feel homogenized. I dread them cancelling the Ghost Rider Hulu series because Ghost Rider is a property that has sick, untapped potential with an adult TV series that we'll sadly never get to see now and the character definitely lends itself to more adult storytelling.

Luckily, latest reports are saying Deadpool 3 will, in fact, be R-rated under the 20th Century Studios banner, so there's that, I guess.

MCU never referenced the Netflix material...ever...

It is something to worry about. Like, does anyone want Moon Knight on Disney+ to be super tame? There are characters where grit and edge would make them better. Largely, I think the Netflix shows did it well. Only really Iron Fist and sometimes Luke Cage I think didn't always work with the violence level. I am not sure Feige is willing to go adult enough on certain properties. So, I am worried about certain projects and characters.

It is something to worry about. Like, does anyone want Moon Knight on Disney+ to be super tame? There are characters where grit and edge would make them better. Largely, I think the Netflix shows did it well. Only really Iron Fist and sometimes Luke Cage I think didn't always work with the violence level. I am not sure Feige is willing to go adult enough on certain properties. So, I am worried about certain projects and characters.

I'd like Moon Knight to be edgier than your typical show, but I feel like they can do that on Disney+. I don't think it needs gratuitous violence and nudity.

Also, after what happened with Daredevil in later seasons, Punisher, and Iron Fist, again, I don't want iconography jettisoned in favor of edgier material.

F'n hell, TV-MA series and Punisher still chickened out on Jigsaw and gave us that wishy-washy BS in season 2. Punisher would never commit to anything because the writers and showrunners likely hate The Punisher and are scared that police officers and soldiers worship the character.

I'm not going to get into the police can of worms, but vets liking the Punisher isn't necessarily some massive red flag. They simply emotionally identify with Punisher because the veteran aspect is a big part of the character.

I still want Moon Knight to be upgraded to a film. WandaVision clearly looks small scaled even to the likes of Ant-Man and Incredible Hulk.

Also I don't want it to drag for 13 episodes long the way Netflix's shows were. I just want a classic 2 hour film that I can rewatch again and again and then anticipate for a sequel.

I'd like Moon Knight to be edgier than your typical show, but I feel like they can do that on Disney+. I don't think it needs gratuitous violence and nudity.

Also, after what happened with Daredevil in later seasons, Punisher, and Iron Fist, again, I don't want iconography jettisoned in favor of edgier material.

F'n hell, TV-MA series and Punisher still chickened out on Jigsaw and gave us that wishy-washy BS in season 2. Punisher would never commit to anything because the writers and showrunners likely hate The Punisher and are scared that police officers and soldiers worship the character.

I'm not going to get into the police can of worms, but vets liking the Punisher isn't necessarily some massive red flag. They simply emotionally identify with Punisher because the veteran aspect is a big part of the character.

I don’t really agree with the lack of iconography argument, but even if I did you can do adult material that still maintains the Marvel aesthetician. I just dont think Marvel Studios will step out of that comfort zone.

I don’t really agree with the lack of iconography argument, but even if I did you can do adult material that still maintains the Marvel aesthetician. I just dont think Marvel Studios will step out of that comfort zone.

What I mean is, Netflix was constantly sacrificing those elements to make things more grounded and realistic. And no, you don't have to sacrifice that Marvel aesthetic for adult material. I think the original Deadpool did a good job with that. But any show on Disney+ is not going to be a TV-MA show or have an R-rated level.

That said, I still think the showrunners of say a Moon Knight show should still be allowed to push the envelope where applicable. Even the first episode of Mandalorian had Djarin splitting that one merc in half in the first scene. But it was suggestive more than outright showing the whole act in explicit detail.

I still want Moon Knight to be upgraded to a film. WandaVision clearly looks small scaled even to the likes of Ant-Man and Incredible Hulk.

Also I don't want it to drag for 13 episodes long the way Netflix's shows were. I just want a classic 2 hour film that I can rewatch again and again and then anticipate for a sequel.

I think it's pretty clear any Disney+ series won't be 13 episode seasons. I would want a Moon Knight movie as well, but there are benefits to a series since they will have more time to develop the characters in ways a movie cannot.

I think it's pretty clear any Disney+ series won't be 13 episode seasons. I would want a Moon Knight movie as well, but there are benefits to a series since they will have more time to develop the characters in ways a movie cannot.
Yeah I've heard about its 8 episodes or something. I've just seen so many Marvel live action shows that drags 1 story arc for the entire season. And you've got super filler episodes in between and nothing really happened but mostly talking and just a few eye candy stuff because they were saving it for the finale. Its not similar to the classic Marvel cartoons in the 90s in which they really went all out with characters and storylines, or those 2000s sci fi shows that really tackled a lot of things in a season with 24 episodes (ex. Heroes and Lost).

And regarding to my older post, I'm fine with smaller scaled I just wish the cinematography would look Cinematic. There's nothing Cinematic about WandaVision. It really looks like a streaming show rather than a Marvel Studios output.

There's really no way to properly unpack all of Moon Knight's psychosis in 2 hours, IMO. I was very relieved when thy confirmed it would be a TV series.

Not really a problem.

I recently finally watched Netflix's Marvel show.
With the exception of Daredevil, the rest is very boring to me.

I agree with psylockolossus that the characters in the show can talk non stop about something or things that I cannot quite catch and I have hard time to understand where the plot or story will moving forward.

I only watched Jessica Jones for season 1, while Iron Fist I only managed to watch until episode 3, and Luke Cage I finished Season 1 with no desire to watch Season 2.

While Daredevil and also Jessica Jones mentioned some events, and character from MCU, but I never truly feel like this is the same world. The authentic and visual is just different.

I am just looking forward for Disney plus series as they still maintain the authentic, visuals, actors, the story, and also Kevin Feige is producing it.

There's really no way to properly unpack all of Moon Knight's psychosis in 2 hours, IMO. I was very relieved when thy confirmed it would be a TV series.
Shutter Island works well on that end, and it's 139 minutes long including credits. I think a movie can manage when done right, and doesn't have to cover everything.

Shutter Island works well on that end, and it's 139 minutes long including credits. I think a movie can manage when done right, and doesn't have to cover everything.
Kinda apples and oranges since SI was a psychological horror story, and a Scorcese film on top of that. A super hero movie is gonna come with certain expectations. A minimum of say, three modern big budget CGI heavy action sequences eats up a lot of screen time. Covering the hero and at least two members of his supporting cast, the villain or villains, the plot or actions the hero is trying to thwart, the origin and of course as this is Marvel, some material that's also just there to either create connections to the wider MCU or to set up whatever the sequel will be.

I don't think a MK two hour film can do the character justice. The origin alone I mean... YEESH.

Marvel has a whole entire “street” corner of its universe that I would like to continue see being explored. Characters like Moon Knight, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Elektra, Ghost Rider, The Punisher and yes, sometimes even Spider-man lend themselves to edgier more adult stories, the kind that they’re likely not willing to tell on the big screen.

I think there should be both. It was nice having the Netflix stuff for people who want some adult Marvel content to consume while the big screen did its blockbuster thing.

I've only seen two epsiodes of Helstrom but it feels like a Supernatural continutaion of the more mature Netflix Marvel stuff. The show is certainly dead in the water with it being a Loeb production left over.

Kinda apples and oranges since SI was a psychological horror story, and a Scorcese film on top of that. A super hero movie is gonna come with certain expectations. A minimum of say, three modern big budget CGI heavy action sequences eats up a lot of screen time. Covering the hero and at least two members of his supporting cast, the villain or villains, the plot or actions the hero is trying to thwart, the origin and of course as this is Marvel, some material that's also just there to either create connections to the wider MCU or to set up whatever the sequel will be.

I don't think a MK two hour film can do the character justice. The origin alone I mean... YEESH.
f76eca7c621b2ce9c19f24e9931869c2.gif

How troublesome

I still think that if a skilled film maker can properly cherry pick stuff will be able to make his origin work on film considering how much liberty was taken between different runs, but I'm also tempted to prefer the serialized format for the character.

I'm on the side that thinks a lot of "fun, kids popcorn movies" hide a lot of complex and interesting adult themes under layers of silly whilst a lot of movies and TV shows that pride themselves on being adult seem more interested in empty cursing, sex and gore than complex themes or think turning off the lights and angsting is automatically adult, although YMMV wildly.

Take Iron Man. Tony has to confront his surprisingly simplistic view of the world and realise that he isn't saving anybody. That his weapons kill people he never intended them to and that his company was supplying terrorists. He continued to be confronted with that and other collateral damage through out his appearances whilst making mistakes, completely overhauling his life that had very little actual meaning and (not) dealing with his father's legacy and creating his own. Iron Man 3's xenophobic boogieman verses actual villain is a pretty layered, real world view on how these things work.

Thor's depression was realistic after everything that happened and whilst it was often played for laughs, he didn't suddenly snap out of it and his friends were trying to be understanding. He also didn't immediately get his physique back right before the battle.

Bright, colourful, fun Spider-man FFH deals explicitly with various types of grief, growing up and the world literally being on a child's shoulders, as well as the nature of truth and heroism and taking responsibility, interspersed with dealing with the romantic drama of being a teenager and a school trip. Not to mention how adults deal or don't with things that happen to them.

Ant-Man, the most outright "wow can't believe they went there!" series in the MCU shows the consequences of doing the right thing for the wrong reasons, the wrong thing for the right reasons and how ex cons often find it hard to get a job, even when they're trying to go straight. Ghost also had an understandable reason for her actions and a right to be upset, even though she was wrong to do it in the way she did.

That's also not taking in to account that the films are often wildly different in genre and tone whilst dealing with their main themes and problems. TWS and GOTG came out the same year and are about as different as Shazam/Joker. TWS is an out and out political thriller and pretty serious and full of angst and betrayal. GOTG deals with with big questions and toxic relationships with a lot of jokes. I personally believe Gamora and Nebula had one of the most interesting arcs in the entire series. And what is implied and even shown about the Gamora/Thanos/Nebula relationships are pretty awful and a lot of that is confronted on screen. IW is just an exercise in rushing inevitably towards doom, even with its funnier sequences.

I think there's definitely a place for projects that take a more grimdark view of the world or are physically and emotionally darker/angstier or R rated but I disagree that Marvel doesn't deal with adult or complex issues.

I enjoyed the Joker but nothing about it surprised me, it's exactly what I would have imagined a Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie would be like including the twists but other "kids movies" have shocked me with their take on certain issues.

Last edited:
I'm on the side that thinks a lot of "fun, kids popcorn movies" hide a lot of complex and interesting adult themes under layers of silly whilst a lot of movies and TV shows that pride themselves on being adult seem more interested in empty cursing, sex and gore than complex themes or think turning off the lights and angsting is automatically adult, although YMMV wildly.

Take Iron Man. Tony has to confront his surprisingly simplistic view of the world and realise that he isn't saving anybody. That his weapons kill people he never intended them to and that his company was supplying terrorists. He continued to be confronted with that and other collateral damage through out his appearances whilst making mistakes, completely overhauling his life that had very little actual meaning and (not) dealing with his father's legacy and creating his own. Iron Man 3's xenophobic boogieman verses actual villain is a pretty layered, real world view on how these things work.

Thor's depression was realistic after everything that happened and whilst it was often played for laughs, he didn't suddenly snap out of it and his friends were trying to be understanding. He also didn't immediately get his physique back right before the battle.

Bright, colourful, fun Spider-man FFH deals explicitly with various types of grief, growing up and the world literally being on a child's shoulders, as well as the nature of truth and heroism and taking responsibility, interspersed with dealing with the romantic drama of being a teenager and a school trip. Not to mention how adults deal or don't with things that happen to them.

Ant-Man, the most outright "wow can't believe they went there!" series in the MCU shows the consequences of doing the right thing for the wrong reasons, the wrong thing for the right reasons and how ex cons often find it hard to get a job, even when they're trying to go straight. Ghost also had an understandable reason for her actions and a right to be upset, even though she was wrong to do it in the way she did.

That's also not taking in to account that the films are often wildly different in genre and tone whilst dealing with their main themes and problems. TWS and GOTG came out the same year and are about as different as Shazam/Joker. TWS is an out and out political thriller and pretty serious and full of angst and betrayal. GOTG deals with with big questions and toxic relationships with a lot of jokes. I personally believe Gamora and Nebula had one of the most interesting arcs in the entire series. And what is implied and even shown about the Gamora/Thanos/Nebula relationships are pretty awful and a lot of that is confronted on screen. IW is just an exercise in rushing inevitably towards doom, even with its funnier sequences.

I think there's definitely a place for projects that take a more grimdark view of the world or are physically and emotionally darker/angstier or R rated but I disagree that Marvel doesn't deal with adult or complex issues.

I enjoyed the Joker but nothing about it surprised me, it's exactly what I would have imagined a Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie would be like including the twists but other "kids movies" have shocked me with their take on certain issues.

I feel like Ant-Man and the Wasp doesn't get nearly enough credit for being a movie without a villain. Oh, there's the random crime boss dude, but he wasn't the antagonist of the story, he was a sentient obstacle and complication. The real conflict was Team Pym vs Team Ghost. . . and while Team Ghost was theoretically more ruthless, they arguably had the same moral standing as the "good" guys. It was two groups of flawed individuals both trying to fix their own past mistakes in flawed ways. Hence why I highly approved of the conclusion: Scott, because he genuinely is a hero, managed to save *both* sides. . . and on having received this unexpected benefice, the Ghost and Dr Foster demonstrated that they were the kind of people who genuinely appreciated it. It was a win win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"