Do you read "accents" into characters' voices?

Killswitch

Civilian
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I always read Marvel comics and pictured the characters speaking in various accents when I was a kid.

In my mind, the Silver Surfer had a Icelandic/Nordic accent. I don't know why. I guess he's kind of silver/white, which fits that image, and him speaking with a strong accent made him sound more "alien" to me.

I also pictured Ben Grimm speaking like...LOUIS ARMSTRONG. Think about that.

Just a funny idea...apart from Gambit, who in MArvel has a strong accent? Should Ghost Rider have a southern drawl?

What should Dr.Strange sound like?

I don't know why, but I always read Marvel comics and pictured the characters speaking in various accents when I was a kid.

In my mind, the Silver Surfer had a Icelandic/Nordic accent. I don't know why. I guess he's kind of silver/white, which fits that image, and him speaking with a strong accent made him sound more "alien" to me.

Just a funny idea...apart from Gambit, who in MArvel has a strong accent? Should Ghost Rider have a southern drawl?

No but I often wondered if other people did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioEgPlxjDok

I thought this asked, "What accent to you give them when you read them (aloud)?" To which I was going to say, "French."

But the answer is yes.

Great topic.

Sometimes you read where the character is from and read how "broken" their english is and go from there. Ben Grimm is defiently from a working class New York neighborhood. Parker is also from a working class NY neighborhood, but his speech pattern is pretty normal. In TV shows and movies Parker sounds like he could be from Ohio, when honestly he has to have a trace of Queens in his voice here and there. It was hinted at by JMS Peter does.

What I always get a kick out of is British characters having to say the word "bloody" and "cheers" a lot to remind the readers where they're from.

Every once in a while I find myself reading Ock with that stupid German accent :(

Ya I do too. Heck, not sure if I can read a character like Thor without adding a bit of an accent. Most of it comes from certain media tho, most X-Men comic accents come from the 90's cartoon.

I don't know about Gambit but I always imagined Dr.Doom to sound like he did in the 90's Spider-Man show.

Yeah those cartoons put some good accents in my head for when they talk. But I'm sad to sad, sometimes the actor who ends up playing them in the eventually movie sometimes slip in... so I get the Last Stand perfect English Storm.

I still hear the characters voices in my head when I read comics. Well, books too.

When I was a kid I'd read comics out loud, and I'd do my best to make Batman sound like Keaton.

When I read X-men, or Wolverine, lately I tend to hear the 'Evolution' voice of Logan in my head.

I remember a time when books actually made an effort to SHOW accents. That's disappeared until recently, it's slowly makin' a comeback. But yeah, like others, I take my favorite voices from movies and TV an' use them when I read.

doom sounds like he does in the fantastic fours second series 90s animation show

so do the rest of the fantastic four

the hulk has an accent obviously

gwen stacy has a english accent obviously

cap sounds old fashioned

wolverine's got an accent but its gone from his 90s version to his evolution version which i think is ten times better

gambit sounds like his cartoon version, so does rogue, and beast. and also storm and cyclops

spidey sounds like me, it's the best way to read him to be honest.

wolverine sounds like wolverine from marvel vs capcom to me

spidey sounds like the 90's cartoon show.

I think of the X-Men, Spider-Man, and Batman characters as having the same voices as they do in their 90s cartoons. Sometimes, I think of chracters as having voices I've heard in TV shows. For example, I always think of Electro as sounding like The Monarch from Venture Bros.

spidey sounds like me, it's the best way to read him to be honest.

Has to sound better than the Spidey in the cartoons and videogames. I hated his voice in Ultimate Spider-man the most. Second crappiest is the voice actor in Marvel Alliance.

If Spidey was read to sound like me, I'd have a few questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"