World Do you think Green Lantern can work on TV?

I think of you took the concept of Hal getting the ring on earth and not visiting OA it could be done quite easily. I have a few ideas on it tbh.

What if you did Kyle's story? I always thought if you did a GL tv series, his would probably be easier to do (him being the only GL left)... Or maybe I just want to see Kyle Rayner on the screen.

An animated movie would be cool too...

And another GL possibility hint in today's episode-

Leonard Snart - "Ferris Air, I though this place shut down?"

Barry Allen- "It did, after one of it's pilots disappeared."
This is the first direct reference to the possibility of a GL character.

Last edited:
I'm actually starting to prefer TV shows to movies, infact I do prefer them. I would live a Green Lantern TV show.

Ah, this lovely thread. I think my views have changed since my earlier posts, what with Supergirl being what it is. It clearly takes a lot of money (being the #1 show on a major network) but the kind of flying that GL needs can be done. You'd still have the problems of constant huge constructs not being viable and the awkwardness of building social drama into the Corps. Making the GLC like Quantico, or even just having those deep social dynamics between rubber forehead aliens could be weird.

You could of course just make GL an Earth hero, but that kinda takes away from what makes him unique and interesting. It's a bit of a lose lose, caught between two worlds...

Maybe if it was just set on one or two planets they could pull it off, they could always go with a spinoff Green Lantern series in the style of Gotham. I really hope we get to see GL appear on the Arrowverse, there is potential for an awesome episode/arc. I would recommend watching the GL animated series in the mean time, It was good, dark and mature and one of the best cartoons ever. It seemed to be true to the comics as well, aside from the gore of course.

I would say no. Between the aliens, and the way Green Lantern's powers work would make it too expensive. Perhaps as a miniseries with a huge budget, but not as a TV show.
I agree with that. In theory, everything's possible and they could possibly tune evrything down like in Smallville and having young Hal Jordan dealing with his everyday life at Ferris aircraft and sometimes using the ring for small CGI effects.
But creates a real show in space seems difficult here. But Hey, let's not underestimate the capacity of Hollywood to transform evrything how they see fit. Hey !
Nope.
The animated series was the way to go; no real creative boundaries.
My thought exactly. IT was the way to go, with a more adult approach, like the Clone Wars or series like this. Buuuuuuuut ... ... they stopped the animated serie ! Like most of the serie that are excellent ! Hey again !

Animated series has been done, I don't see another one covering the same details happening soon for a character like GL. I think a big budget TV series is the best way to go. I'm looking at what was done on Star Trek: Discovery and it looks pretty doggone cinematic for something that's supposed to be for TV. I have little doubt if you take the same budget and cut out the ships and special effects and sci-fi props you couldn't take that same budget and make some sweet construct action out of.

I think the real challenge for a live action show would be to find the drama. Outside of the action sequences, what IS a GL show? Is it a cop drama, with Lanterns paired up and investigating some sort of crime? Do they have a GL Vice division? Is it more of a political sci-fi exploration thing, like old school The Next Generation, where internal conflicts aren't the thing? Or is it the kind of cop drama where it's all about the varied interactions between the professionals and the way their personal lives and romantic lives and tragic pasts all get pulled into the overall professional struggle, whether it be being a cop, or a doctor, or a FBI trainee, or a Green Lantern?

I think that question is the most important, as it would strongly determine what the show is about.

Now what I don't think there's enough money for is to shoot on location in a city, and simulate constructs and battle damage within a city. I think that's too much for TV right now. Besides... all GL's best adventures are in space. Always have been.

I think the real challenge for a live action show would be to find the drama. Outside of the action sequences, what IS a GL show? Is it a cop drama, with Lanterns paired up and investigating some sort of crime? Do they have a GL Vice division?

Makes me think of Space Precinct. Used to love that show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"