World Do you think Green Lantern can work on TV?

Interesting.I thought Syfy was bigger than CW.
Yeah Defiance is 4m.I think that should be minimum for a Gl show.everyone else an be done on a normal budget.

Nah, CW is the smallest of the network stations, but it's still one of those. Syfy is definitely cable. Defiance is pulling 1.5 mil viewers per ep, Supernatural is pulling over 2 million, to say nothing of Arrow pulling in 3+ million viewers per episode.

But I'd agree with you guys, if SyFy made Green Lantern their main show and gave it that 4M budget, it could be awesome. Not sure if it'd be enough to support a whole channel... but who knows.

LOl didn't even see this thread, posted in the other one.

Of course Green Lantern can work, FX shouldn't be a problem on the level of Stargate or DR. Who, who work their limits to their advantage, and have fun with aliens and sci-fi tech and it works. They have plenty of traveling through space/dimensions aliens and gizmos and cg gadgets which do everything a GL ring can do, just now it'd be in green.
Don't go overboard like the movie did with the awful CG uniform , but just have a real material non-cg uniform, with a few Tron-ish elements focused towards the chest emblem.

As far as where it's "set"? Dude can travel light speed, warp through space time worm holes, etc. He can have a life on Earth at Ferris, and travel throughout the cosmos. The fact that this thrill seeking star drifter has (or tries to balance) two lives, is part the pathos of the character.

Last edited:
I expect the show to alternate between "Alien Planet of the week"episodes and "SpaceBattle of the week"episodes.
Nah, CW is the smallest of the network stations, but it's still one of those. Syfy is definitely cable. Defiance is pulling 1.5 mil viewers per ep, Supernatural is pulling over 2 million, to say nothing of Arrow pulling in 3+ million viewers per episode.

But I'd agree with you guys, if SyFy made Green Lantern their main show and gave it that 4M budget, it could be awesome. Not sure if it'd be enough to support a whole channel... but who knows.
True

LOl didn't even see this thread, posted in the other one.

Of course Green Lantern can work, FX shouldn't be a problem on the level of Stargate or DR. Who, who work their limits to their advantage, and have fun with aliens and sci-fi tech and it works. They have plenty of traveling through space/dimensions aliens and gizmos and cg gadgets which do everything a GL ring can do, just now it'd be in green.
Don't go overboard like the movie did with the awful CG uniform , but just have a real material non-cg uniform, with a few Tron-ish elements focused towards the chest emblem.

As far as where it's "set"? Dude can travel light speed, warp through space time worm holes, etc. He can have a life on Earth at Ferris, and travel throughout the cosmos. The fact that this thrill seeking star drifter has (or tries to balance) two lives, is part the pathos of the character.
:up: completely agreed

Yesterday, cbm reported that Geoff Johns had confirmed that there have been discussions regarding a Green Lantern reboot, and that he couldn't talk about it. And today, Stephen Amell has commented on the fact that they are building a Justice League on tv in the CW universe, and he stated that he wants to see Green Lantern on Arrow.

"Now, boy we've referenced Ferris Air a lot. It would be really cool to have Green Lantern. Hopefully, that happens. I have no inside information, unless I do."
-Stephen Amell

Obviously with the Ferris easter eggs, the idea is to introduce Hal Jordan. And i wouldn't have it any other way. Introducing any other Green Lantern into a universe where the two biggest characters are both close friends of Hal's would be a huge mistake. Hal's friendships with both Ollie and Barry have been established for decades.

I'm thinking we'll see Hal Jordan on tv very soon. And I couldn't be happier about the idea of that.

Just watched Defiance and was really impressed with effects. Makes me more Convinced GL can work on tv

Just watched Defiance and was really impressed with effects. Makes me more Convinced GL can work on tv
I'm sorry but the people doubting GL on tv just really have no idea what they're talking about... it's totally possible with today's technology

youre right dude, no need to continue this conversation now that that is settled :p

I'm sorry but the people doubting GL on tv just really have no idea what they're talking about... it's totally possible with today's technology

After GotG, there is strong evidence that any comic book character and mythos can be properly adapted. Rocket and Groot were not only obscure and wacky characters (comparatively in the Marvel universe), but the setting was about as far away from the usual theatrical super hero backdrop as possible.

Straight forward question. I ask because of the Flash and Green Arrow TV shows and how Ferris Airlines is being teased in them. It would be cool to see GL on TV in the same universe as them. Obviously, budget concerns is what would stand in the way, but do you think there is some way they can pull it off?

Straight forward answer.

NO.jpg

You don't know what you're talking about brah ^ :p

it can be done. No doubt in my mind.

and with all these announcements for DC projects, I'm just patiently waiting for a GL tv announcement.

You don't know what you're talking about brah ^ :p

it can be done. No doubt in my mind.

and with all these announcements for DC projects, I'm just patiently waiting for a GL tv announcement.

It's only a matter of time before GL comes to Flash or Arrow or both. There's a chance we'll see more than one GL as well if Flash can replicate Arrow's success.

Firestorm is actually a very good benchmark for how much Green Lantern they'll be able to pull off. Visually, they present the same challenges. I think if we get 20 minutes of Firestorm flying around on screen that would shut up all opposition. I think if we only get 1-2 minutes of Firestorm action in his episode, that'll be a great indication that only 1-2 minutes of flying energy blasting construct making are possible on a Flash-sized budget.

Firestorm is actually a very good benchmark for how much Green Lantern they'll be able to pull off. Visually, they present the same challenges. I think if we get 20 minutes of Firestorm flying around on screen that would shut up all opposition. I think if we only get 1-2 minutes of Firestorm action in his episode, that'll be a great indication that only 1-2 minutes of flying energy blasting construct making are possible on a Flash-sized budget.

My biggest fear for a GL show is the lack of Kilowog and Tomar Re, and the Guardians. Alot of the aliens would be hard to do..

They the Guardians in 1966:funny: I think they can work it out today.
the+cage_the+talosians.jpg

Last edited:

Interesting.I find firestorm to be a lame hero but I guess Ill have to pay attention to his apperance in the CW universe.

Slightly off topic but do you think an Adam strange tv show could work?I think he could be a good replacement for Green lantern in the CW universe if they dont use him

if they don't want to do a GL tv series but they want to do a cosmic DC show, i say they should do Martian Manhunter

My biggest fear for a GL show is the lack of Kilowog and Tomar Re, and the Guardians. Alot of the aliens would be hard to do..

I may be alone on this, but I say bring on the rubber forehead aliens for GL. Tomar Re and Kilowog seem quite doable by Dr. Who standards. I think the practical effects shop would have to be akin to Bamford's stunt team in being some of the best in the business doing their best work quickly and efficiently because they'd need to do a different race once or twice a week. It couldn't be like Star Trek where they trot out a new well done alien race every season or so.

My personal biggest fear would be simply lack of GL action, or more accurately, the change in GL action, where he becomes a guy on the ground in a shootout rather than a guy flying through the air making hammers and fists all the time. I think it could still be interesting, but it wouldn't quite be Green Lantern... not quite.

Second to that my concern would be how do you social-ize GL? Where does his social drama come from? If you split his time on Earth, then his social drama isn't connected to his cosmic problems, but can you put social drama in the Corps? How does that work?

Interesting.I find firestorm to be a lame hero but I guess Ill have to pay attention to his apperance in the CW universe.

Slightly off topic but do you think an Adam strange tv show could work?I think he could be a good replacement for Green lantern in the CW universe if they dont use him

I don't think Adam Strange is a very deep or wide concept. He develops Zeta tubes, he becomes a Hero to Rann, that's a good first storyline but after that he... teleports to other alien planets for kicks? Plus he still has the problem where one of his major powers, flight, is hard to do well on TV... so now he's just a guy with a laser gun? That said, the show could definitely work, but me personally, I'd be thinking there were several characters I'd rather see live action antics from before Adam Strange, cool as he may be.

I don't think Adam Strange is a very deep or wide concept. He develops Zeta tubes, he becomes a Hero to Rann, that's a good first storyline but after that he... teleports to other alien planets for kicks? Plus he still has the problem where one of his major powers, flight, is hard to do well on TV... so now he's just a guy with a laser gun? That said, the show could definitely work, but me personally, I'd be thinking there were several characters I'd rather see live action antics from before Adam Strange, cool as he may be.

Actually I think they could modify it to him being a guy in a power suit and a badass laser gun.And Flight should bedone in whatever way the supergirl show is doing it.And nothing wrong with Rann-Its his "Gotham"
Adam strange is the only cosmic hero I can think of replacing GL at the moment.

It would take a helluva lot of work to make Rann as interesting as Gotham. I can be done, but it's not something I would call ideal. Also, Adam Strange in a power suit doesn't feel like Adam Strange to me. He's always been a kind of throwback pulp hero, Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon type. To Iron Man him up would be sad, for me personally. I think Adam Strange would make for a heckuva recurring character in any cosmic series. I think it would be foolish not to include him, but I hope they don't change everything about him just to give him a lead role. I know you feel differently, and that's okay.

It would take a helluva lot of work to make Rann as interesting as Gotham. I can be done, but it's not something I would call ideal. Also, Adam Strange in a power suit doesn't feel like Adam Strange to me. He's always been a kind of throwback pulp hero, Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon type. To Iron Man him up would be sad, for me personally. I think Adam Strange would make for a heckuva recurring character in any cosmic series. I think it would be foolish not to include him, but I hope they don't change everything about him just to give him a lead role. I know you feel differently, and that's okay.

No probs.
So whould you suggest as a replacement for GL as the cosmic hero for the CW universe?on the off chance WB doesnt let GL be used?

It'd be tough to do it well. The fact that they had immense trouble getting it together in a two hour big budget film just goes to show you how tough the material would be to adapt.
I think it could, in the right hands, turn out very interesting. I'd watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"