Homecoming Do you think Marvel should have held out until they got the full Spidey rights back?

random_havoc

The Golden Guardian
Reaction score
While I'm overjoyed to have Spidey in the MCU and loved his introduction in Civil War, I can't help but think that Sony is just going to butcher Spidey side characters now instead by trying to put them in movies without Spidey in ways that are completely unnatural to the characters.
I also feel like future Spidey sequels will miss out with having certain villains and other characters unusable due to Sony using them.
Plus, at some point in the future this deal where they collaborate with him will expire I'm guessing, leaving Marvel in the position of possibly missing out on him again but with his movie reputation restored to a much better position for Sony.

I wonder if Marvel jumped the gun at the excitement of getting Spidey back when maybe they could have waited a little longer and, since Sony was getting continually worse return on investment with the character, maybe they could have bought them out on it instead.

What do you all think?

If they waited, Spider-Man would likely not be in Infinity War or Avengers 4.

Sony was going to reboot regardless of the Marvel deal working or not, so it's better that this current reboot took place in the MCU.

And even with the "limitations," Marvel has done an amazing job with the character so far. And who's to say that Marvel won't get the Spider-Man rights in full sometime in the future? Never say never.

That's one of the things I'm afraid about.

But that's the best we can have right now, and I believe Marvel will get the rights back sooner than expected.

If Marvel had waited, we wouldn't be getting Spidey in Infinity War.

Totally worth it.

I just hope that Sony doesn't get cocky with the success of Tom Holland's Spidey and think they can let their deal with Marvel expire to do their own thing. People are interested in this Spider-Man mostly because he's with The Avengers, too.

I see your concerns about Sony's possible (mis?)use of Spider-Man related characters but I think overall Marvel have made the right move.

I don't feel like there are a lot of limitations. Spider-Man is being treated as another A-list character and had a pretty good role in Infinity War (more screen time than black panther). My only gripe is that Sony is moving forward with their spin-off movies.

IF... and that is IF Sony did not continue the deal with Marvel, it would likely be after the third Spider-Man solo film that would close out the trilogy, anyway.

If Marvel had held off on Spider-man, it'd be years before we got another good live-action version of the character while Sony continued to churn out mediocre-at-best garbage which would only further devalue the brand. I understand the impetus behind maybe waiting until they gained full control before integrating him into the MCU, but it's tough to argue with the results so far, particularly when you compare it to the ASM series.

I think they made the right decision. Like everyone has pointed out, he wouldn't have been in Infinity War. Plus his relationship with Tony Stark is wonderful and who knows how much longer he'll be in the MCU.

I think they made the right decision because otherwise it might have taken forever to get a decent Spider-Man picture on the big screen again, or it might never have happened if the negotiations became continually stalemated. It was best that Marvel seized the opportunity when they had the chance, because no one can predict when that opportunity would come again. And not only did we get a great Spidey movie, but we also got Spidey teaming up with the Avengers in Civil War and Infinity War.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"