Endgame Endgame User Review Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

samsnee

Ok
Reaction score
We're in the endgame now, and people are going to start seeing this very soon.

Please tag spoilers, no matter how small.

6/10

Just... yikes. This movie was not great or good at all. Very boring and messy first couple hours and by the time the final battle begins you're just drained and fed up. Very disappointed, but don't take my word go see it yourself. For 2.5 hours I was watching this movie in pure astonishment thinking "no way did the Russos make this film" I'm just shocked right now, the movie was a mess. What did they do to Thor just to get a couple of laughs? What's with all the unfunny humor? Science Hulk was hard to watch. I'm just confused right now. Totally unworthy end to these past 10 years. I didn't even bother to see if there might be some post credit scene, I didn't care anymore and just wanted to gtfo. Mocking timeless time travel movies yet end up making the worst one? You'll see, this movie wont have the repeat viewings The Avengers and Infinity War had. Total shame[\spoiler]

Last edited:
Good review DarrenBeavan. It sounds like this film is kind of a mixed bag. Still looking forward to it but lowering expectations slightly.

Good review DarrenBeavan. It sounds like this film is kind of a mixed bag. Still looking forward to it but lowering expectations slightly.

Lol what, did you see any of the other reviews/reactions? They indicate anything but being a mixed bag.

I have some serious issues with that but there are also Moments who are just Epic and gonna be legends.

Specially
Thor
(only a character Name) was a huge disappointed here.

Full review when I get home but this film is pretty average.

I enjoyed it mors then iw.
I will give it a 8,9. Its funny, exciting and sad at moments.

The final battle is crazy.
Thor :applaud

Captain American with mjolnir. Captain marvel busting thanos his ship and fighting thanos.
Rescue and iron man.
Wanda vs thanos
Avengers assamble with the mcu behind cap.

Tony dying :csad: you could hear people in the room crying.

Also i enjoyed the part when they were in the past movies.
Them putting cap in a somewhat similair situation as the elevator fight :) hail hydra haha.

I enjoyed it mors then iw.
I will give it a 8,9. Its funny, exciting and sad at moments.

The final battle is crazy.
Thor :applaud

Captain American with mjolnir. Captain marvel busting thanos his ship and fighting thanos.
Rescue and iron man.
Wanda vs thanos
Avengers assamble with the mcu behind cap.

Tony dying :csad: you could hear people in the room crying.

Also i enjoyed the part when they were in the past movies.
Them putting cap in a somewhat similair situation as the elevator fight :) hail hydra haha.

Check your PMs bro.

My official review

Check whatever you think you know and everything you've seen at the door. Nothing you've seen or anything you know will prepare you for this film. Some things have been blatantly faked. What we've seen in released footage is not even a drop in the bucket.

This movie will have you screaming, laughing, crying, cheering, clapping, or sweating nervously and every combination above throughout.

My one major complaint? Not sure where they go from here after this. I feel like no other Avengers movie can ever top this experience.

For all of you who's seen the movie, does Thor go all "God mode with lightning eyes" multiple times and how does it compare to how it's used in Ragnarok and IW?

Secondly, is Iron Man and Captain America's relationship arc as good and satisfying as the critics say it is?

Also how was Thanos compared to the first film? Did Brolin knock it out of the park again?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've been reading this website since it was Spiderman Hype and although I've created 1 or 2 accounts over the years I don't comment often enough to remember my details hence why I've created an account to talk about this movie (I always enjoy talking to other fans about big movies).

If I had to summarise my views on the movie it would be "strange". They weren't kidding when they said it was nothing like Infinity War and I definitely felt every minute of the three hours in the theatre. I felt the movie tried to cover too much and didn't really succeed bringing it all together. This movie reminds me of Age of Ultron in the sense that I really like a lot of individual parts but when it comes together it loses something.

In saying that it's definitely not a bad movie by any means. There was plenty that I liked and I am going to watch it again tomorrow with my wife. I tend to be quite critical of movies upon first seeing them if they don't match up to what I expect and my score usually goes up with subsequent viewings so time will tell if this is the case here. As of this moment though I would say Infinity War is the better film and much more rewatchable. This movie doesn't deserve to beat Titanic.

6/10

Man I hope the general audience reaction isn’t as mixed as the first few reviews here are.

Man I hope the general audience reaction isn’t as mixed as the first few reviews here are.

For what it's worth I was in a theatre that had some enthusiastic fans who cheered and cried during big moments. They only had those reactions during the third act and the big fight. I've read people bashing that reviewer who described the first 2 hours as mediocre. They definitely weren't IMO but I can kinda see now what he was trying to convey.

By definition mediocre means average so that’s not outright bad just not impressive but still fine. People I think over reacted a bit on that description.

For all of you who's seen the movie, does Thor go all "lighting eyes God mode" multiple times and how does it compare to how it's used in Ragnarok and IW?

Secondly, is Iron Man and Captain America's relationship arc as good and satisfying as the critics say it is?

Also how was Thanos compared to the first film? Did Brolin knock it out of the park again?

I don't know how to do spoiler tags so I will reply best I can without spoiling.

Yes Thor gets the lightning eyes. I feel there will be people disappointed with Thor in this movie but I personally liked the direction they took it, especially the final battle where he looks every bit a viking god that you expect (for the record I don't like the short hair as it makes him look too modern imo).

Cap and Stark have a good arc. Your satisfaction will vary I guess.

Honestly, I was hugely disappointed with Thanos. Not with the acting which was fine, but.....I don't want to say more in case its considered spoiler.

By definition mediocre means average so that’s not outright bad just not impressive but still fine. People I think over reacted a bit on that description.

That's true, the word is interpreted worse then intended by most people. I read many people blasting him for it though.

So here we are, 10 years and 22 films in the making and the phrase that keeps coming to mind with this closing chapter of the MCU is "that's it?". After the absolute delight that was Infinity War, Endgame was always going to have a tough task matching its predecessor, and whilst it would be forgivable for Marvel to come up short against that remarkable achievement for superhero films, the level of distance that gap ended up being is in all honesty shocking. Endgame is afforded 3 hours of screen time, has only one story to focus on unlike Infinity War which had several, and yet somehow manages to meander through its erratic narrative.

The biggest crime in this film is there feels like there are no stakes. Infinity War delivered a genuinely threatening character, and yet when it becomes evident that the main focus of the film is time travel all the air is sucked out of the movie. To put it bluntly, there doesn't feel like there's a build up to anything. And when things do start looking bad for the Avengers it comes about so suddenly that it feels kinda meaningless. When you think of the great battles on film part of what makes them so good is the build up to the final confrontation, and this film lacks that. It spends so much time ill-defining what its own rules of time travel are that it forgets to build any tension for its finale.

The character moments, which have been a hallmark of the Avengers movies, feel so clunky compared to past movies. Some of them feel genuine, others come across as nothing but buffoonery. On top of that, it feels like there are so many shortcuts that are implemented early on. I get there's only so much you can do in three hours but so much early on feels really rushed whilst parts in the middle are focused on way too much. I can't go into much without giving away spoilers.

Maybe I just had a different movie in my head after IW, although I purposely stayed away from a lot of Endgame news so I could watch this with as open a mind as possible, but the phrase that keeps repeating in my mind is 'That's it? That's your conclusion?". Maybe I'm being too harsh on the film, expecting too much of it, but I just can't help but feel there was a better movie that could have been made. I have to wonder if Marvel would have been better suited spending an extra year working on this, because at the end of the day this feels like a movie that needed extra work done to it. It almost feels like a first draft that need a second or third rewrite. I don't think this rates anywhere near some of the great finales we've seen on film, other will probably see it differently, and that's fine, I just think there's a much better movie under the surface here.

6/10

For all of you who's seen the movie, does Thor go all "lighting eyes God mode" multiple times and how does it compare to how it's used in Ragnarok and IW?

Answer to your Thor question
Nope, not really, he does it in the final battle but you're too upset to care at that point. What they did to Thor in this counts as one of the biggest crimes this movie commits and all the good the Russos did with the character in IW is undone, just like that, with the snap of a finger. But I guess some people got their few chuckles in.

Answer to your Cap/Tony question
Nope, I really don't think so. There's this weird messing about with time in the story telling where the movie starts, Tony gets back to Earth in the first couple minutes, then they find Thanos, go there, take his head off (like THE actual Thanos from IW, killed in a shack while cooking food) Tony is pissed off at Cap for Civil War still and then we jump to 5 years later and the rest of the movie continues with a Thanos from the past and Tony decides to help them and be nice again because they... asked him? Again? I guess. With real serious faces this time. After that he's friends with Cap again. No arc, no nothing.

Answer to your Thanos question
The Thanos from the first film is gone. Like literally and figuratively. What happens to him within the first 5 minutes of the movie is just so weird that you spend the rest of the movie thinking "Wait... we're getting THAT Thanos back right?" Which never happens and then on a more meta level I guess you're thinking "Are we gonna get the badass Josh Brolin Thanos back atleast?" And then that never really happens either. In this movie he's back to being just another generic bad guy who wants to collect the stones because it's the Thanos from the past, not the one who fought them in IW.

I left thinking "Did the Russo's even actually make this movie?" Honestly I don't think so. But I mean, maybe. I didn't much like Civil War either but it was waaay better than this.

If the audience I was with is any indication I can guarantee that it will be very mixed. I lost count of how many stupid moments there were in this. It is one of the strangest movies I've seen in a long time and not in a good way and it was very visible with the audience.

People sighing and getting bored halfway through, checking their phones, having a general "WTF?" vibe about them, not responding to moments that I guess were supposed to be those fist pumping "Eff Yeah!" scenes.

This movie was just not it and it'll become more clear in the coming days.

I had planned to watch this movie with my less hardcore CBM friends on Friday, I agreed to that but couldn't wait and went ASAP. I am really dreading having to sit through all that again on Friday. Compare that to the first Avengers and Infinity War which were both so well crafted I watched them in the cinema about 5 times each.

Take that as you will.

Last edited:
So here we are, 10 years and 22 films in the making and the phrase that keeps coming to mind with this closing chapter of the MCU is "that's it?". After the absolute delight that was Infinity War, Endgame was always going to have a tough task matching its predecessor, and whilst it would be forgivable for Marvel to come up short against that remarkable achievement for superhero films, the level of distance that gap ended up being is in all honesty shocking. Endgame is afforded 3 hours of screen time, has only one story to focus on unlike Infinity War which had several, and yet somehow manages to meander through its erratic narrative.

The biggest crime in this film is there feels like there are no stakes. Infinity War delivered a genuinely threatening character, and yet when it becomes evident that the main focus of the film is time travel all the air is sucked out of the movie. To put it bluntly, there doesn't feel like there's a build up to anything. And when things do start looking bad for the Avengers it comes about so suddenly that it feels kinda meaningless. When you think of the great battles on film part of what makes them so good is the build up to the final confrontation, and this film lacks that. It spends so much time ill-defining what its own rules of time travel are that it forgets to build any tension for its finale.

The character moments, which have been a hallmark of the Avengers movies, feel so clunky compared to past movies. Some of them feel genuine, others come across as nothing but buffoonery. On top of that, it feels like there are so many shortcuts that are implemented early on. I get there's only so much you can do in three hours but so much early on feels really rushed whilst parts in the middle are focused on way too much. I can't go into much without giving away spoilers.

Maybe I just had a different movie in my head after IW, although I purposely stayed away from a lot of Endgame news so I could watch this with as open a mind as possible, but the phrase that keeps repeating in my mind is 'That's it? That's your conclusion?". Maybe I'm being too harsh on the film, expecting too much of it, but I just can't help but feel there was a better movie that could have been made. I have to wonder if Marvel would have been better suited spending an extra year working on this, because at the end of the day this feels like a movie that needed extra work done to it. It almost feels like a first draft that need a second or third rewrite. I don't think this rates anywhere near some of the great finales we've seen on film, other will probably see it differently, and that's fine, I just think there's a much better movie under the surface here.

6/10

Brother you have put it more eloquently then I ever could. I agree with all your points but the ones that really stand out are when you say there are low stakes, a better movie could have been made and that it feels like a first draft.

I scored it same as you but I feel like I enjoyed it more then you oddly enough. People will make up their own minds offcourse but I'm awestruck at all the reviews calling it the best superhero movie ever made etc. Rising expectations like that might end up backfiring on the long term.

I am somewhat scarred by this movie... :eek:
I really wanted my best case scenario of them traveling back and undoing all the tragedy, I was not ready for this.

That is not to say I am unhappy with the movie, quite the contrary, it is indeed great and as perfect a close as it could.
But I am a lifelong Marvel reader and quite used to the never ending cycle of stories and the revolving door of the afterlife therein: I embrace the nature of comic books as a serialized commercial enterprise, the good and the bad.
Not ready, do you hear me? :argh:

This movie is purest comic book goodness, though it embraces the need of Stories (capital letter on purpose) to end.
It is the right call, it is what these characters deserve. The global popular culture has been enriched and this movie cements that.

I just wasn't ready to say goodbye. :csad:

Some doors closed, some remain justly open.
To every single person involved in bringing the MCU to life, my greatest thanks and truest compliments.
Make Mine Marvel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"