Enough Is Enough, And It's Time For A New Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvelman2006

Sidekick
Reaction score
It's partly that they have no one in position to take his place, but it goes beyond the basic show. WWE have created an entire PR arm around Cena and all the charity work and public appearances he does, the guy is a workhorse for promoting the company in a good light, so they will be reluctant to rock that boat by making him a heel, as the next top face they have will have to do more than just win over the fans, he will have to be able to do all of the other stuff that comes with the job, it's part of the reason Miz' push has lasted so long, he's done an awful lot of good work for the WWE on the media circuit and is a natural at that side of things.

I wondered if anything would come of that, odd that Taker gets fined for being hit with the chair. :funny:

I dont see the big deal with chair shot once in a while. christ there wrestlers who get there bodies slammed around week in and week out. concussions are unavoidable regardless what you take away, same as in the nfl. I wonder if vince and co were loosing ratings to another rvial like wcw if they would still ban chair shots or other stunts that draw ratings. people dont realize that the reason that sports like wrestling, ufc, nfl, hockey are popular because there the modern day roman death sports. We love to watch guys get there butts beat or see vicious hits, its just the way it is. What worse, Madden video games eliminating illegal head shots or this?

Source: WrestlingNewsSource.com

WWE announced on their corporate website that Triple H and Undertaker were fined due to violating the company's policy on chairshots to the head at WrestleMania 27:

"Pursuant to WWE's Concussion policy, the stunt of using a folded metal chair shot to the head is prohibited. Triple H and The Undertaker have both been fined for violating this policy at WrestleMania XXVII. WWE penalizes through fine and/or suspension for violation of this policy, which is unchanged and still in effect"

-----

I bet they were told to do the spot so they could make this "fine" statement and make people think they still give a damn about the health of their employees.

They may have told them to do the spot anyway and just take the fine. With as much as those two make its like pocket lint to them. No heat on them from management they just had to fine them for PR reasons.

If anyone else had done that they'd be in deep sh**. Its sort of like when HHH and HBK used the Crossface in matches not long after...you know. They were the only guys that could have done it.

i wonder if Val Venis is gonna b*** about this the way he did when TNA had a chairshot to the head a while back. If not he's just a big ol hypocrite.

i have friends who will watch next year just to see the rock against cena

they will want the rock to win

when the rock loses they definitely will not become regular viewers

The Rocks not ever going to come back full time and Cenas going to be there for years. The chances are slim that they'd become full time viewers anyway even if Rock won. WWE can't just be concerned with bringing back old viewers they also have to be concerned with bringing in NEW viewers.

It makes much more sense to me from a business standpoint to plan for the future instead of relying on the past all the time. Every new kid that starts watching and becomes a Cena fan can be a source of making money for YEARS. They've got a little disposable income to blow on Cena stuff that adults in their 20's and 30's aren't going to buy anyway.

Plus the older we get the more responsibilities we have. We can't blow all our money on WWE merch. But little Johnny Cenafan can get his mom and dad to give him plenty of cash to buy the next Smackdown vs Raw or Cena gear. And they'll buy a lot of it. Even if Rock wins he's not going to be around enough that the lions share of WWE merchandise is going to be based around him. He's not going to be around enough to hook in new kids. WWE's business has been built on that for almost 30 years.

The characters were so perfect for a feud, Punk would have so much ammo with HBK's past and Shawn would focus on the self righteous hypocrisy of Punk.

Its probably the one current era feud I regret not happening most. Michaels vs Morrison would be second.

I still think Vince gave up on Vader too soon, he went to Japan after he left the WWE and some great matches against the 4 corners of heaven in his title run.

Austin vs Vader would have been perfect now that I think about it. The idea of Vince using Vader as his muscle is brilliant. Austin was always called the rattlesnake and the toughest SOB walking. Well Vader was the most badass monster in wrestling. He was one guy who Austin couldn't "out tough" so to speak. And if anyone knows how to deal with rattlesnakes I'm sure its the man from the Rocky Mountains :awesome:

That was what I loved about Savage, you just never knew where the line ended for him. :D
I can see Rude playing off him well as a sneaky heel.

Yep, that was the only time they were in the ring together to my knowledge. I recall the promo between them the night after Summerslam where Brock beat Rock, it set the stage for the potential to come.

They were probably holding off on it for as long as possible as THE big match like everybody has said. I wonder if they would have done finally done HHH vs Lesnar at Wrestlemania?

On a whole I thought it was the worst Wrestlemania ever, so much time was wasted on guff like skits with Pee wee herman, Snoop Dog and Hornswaggle as well as Cena's overblown entrance and allowing Cole vs Lawler to eat up 20 plus minutes in total while being arguably the worst match ever and not even resolving things, while a great young talent like John Morrison got to do just ONE move as he played second fiddle to that rat from the Jersey Shore who the crowd booed out the building.

Add to that the fact I could only recommend two matches, Orton vs Punk and Rey vs Cody, and even then they weren't of that amazing stand out quality you'd hope for on the years biggest show. Triple H vs Taker is where you'll find differening views, I didn't like it, some did. I'd also say they wasted The Rock by having him doing skits with Pee Wee, Mae Young, Eve and Mean Gene instead of having him interact with the current stars.

Except for HHH vs Taker I totally agree. It wasn't the best match I could ahve hoped for but it wasn't the worst I was dreading either.

I didn't feel like the Rock lived up to the hype most of the time. He did great sometimes but other stuff didn't feel all that special. And the whole show wasted time and the guys who needed time didn't get it while other matches went way too long. Vince totally lost his mind as a pomoter with the way he booked Cole vs Lawler. that was an EASY way to send the people home happy and he didn't do it. Its stuff like that that makes me think its time for him to retire.

Cole vs Lawler was the one time the ENTIRE IWC was in agreement. probably the casual fans too. Everybody wanted to see the same thing. We would have forgiven it for not being a technical masterpiece. Cole vs Lawler was Vince giving his audience the finger because he wants to see it go on to entertain HIM.

Exactly, Sheamus stood out from the get go as he doesn't look or sound like he came off the assembly line in Stamford. I'm hoping he'll get on a good roll this year, his potential feud with Sin Cara could provide a good clash of styles match up.

Sheamus is great. He's really impressed me. Kevin Dunn doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. He and Vince are a couple of old codgers who expect the whole world to think like them when the fact is they have no clue what people want sometimes.

Watched Tough Enough. Some thoughts

• Stone Cold is still a natural, comic gold when he started talking about how he released his bowels when slammed by Yokozuna.
  • Bill DeMott is pretty funny.
  • The women, jesus, where did they get them? :dry: Your one who was eliminated? Melina and Alicia Fox was her favourite ever match, enough said about this fake dimwit. Your one who was saved? There's no way in hell that she has the experience that she claims. The beauty queen? Awful.
  • The men aren't much better. Yes they are head and shoulders above the women but none of them are stars. The guy with the afro....words fail. When Stone Cold showed him how to sell himself and then he tried again, I cringed for the guy. Stone Cold, however, seemed happy with his effort. :huh:
In sum, this show will not produce someone who will establish themselves on the roster. It's just a vehicle to watch the legend that is Stone Cold again, laugh at Bill DeMott & Booker T, and look at Trish. :oldrazz:

sorry for disagreeing with your obviously correct opinion and for having my own

obviously you are right why bother speculating

I will still be here if and when everything you have said doesnt go exactly the way you have forseen it though

also thanks for being condescending toward anything that differs from YOUR opinion (which is obviously right)

I've een the jerkish way you have replied to nell for having a difference in opinion too so not sure why I expected anything less obnoxious

How was I jerkish? Did I call you a name? Did I insult you? Did I tell you to shut up or tell you you couldn't say what you wanted?

My opinion is based on the facts that we do know. Can the Rock be in two places at once all the time? Its just like I asked you how can the Rock come back and have multi month long stints when he has Hollywood commitments?

How can he come back and wrestle more when there are insurance issues with studios that have to be considered? This is simple logistics. How is that being jerkish?

Do you think studios are going to wait around on 100 million dollar productions just so the Rock can go off and work for WWE for 3 months? I'm being realistic because I'm looking at it from every angle. Not because I'm basing my opinion on what I WANT to happen. I'd love for the Rock to come back but I'm being realistic and taking everything into consideration.

If Rock signs for a movie and then gets hurt wrestling what happens then? Do you think the studios are going to just be fine with letting him do that?

As for Nell he comes in here and thinks everyone is going to say something bad about him or assume something bad about him before anyone even says anything.

How am I being the jerk when you were the first one to hurl an insult?

Last edited:
I believe that .. The storylines have been consistently bad and Vince has the money to hire good writers. There has to be something between point A and B that's causing all these cracks. The only thing lately that I can see would rightfully cause a stir is the Rock's involvement. I think they got more than they bargained for and weren't sure where to go from there.
Aside from that ..almost everything else is a mess.

Cole vs Lawler just stinks of last minute changes to me. Like Vince couldn't decide who was going over.

It also explains why so many matches got time cut.

I think Rock's comeback match against Cena will be a one time deal to properly close the wrestling chapter of his life. If not, I'd love to see him go against Rey Mysterio and Shawn Michaels as he stated at the 2008 HOF although I'd think he was BSing with HBK to get a cheap pop from the crowd due to the past heat between the two.

If he goes into the HOF that increases the chances that this may be Rocks last match. Then again he could wrestle again every once in a while. I think you've got a good point though.

Sadly I can't ever see Shawn coming out of retirement to wrestle anyone. I'd love to see Rock vs Rey though. Even in a tag match.

Either he got a huge paycheck from Vince for his cameo appearances or he buried the hatchet given the rumored fallout between the two or both. As for not wrestling, he probably felt he wasn't ready to get back in the ring and considering he was gone for 7 years, its better to wait and practice in order to give a memorable performance instead of rushing it right away and putting on a suckfest.

Yeah I think he just wants time to be on point. Its been 7 years since he had an actual full on match in front of thousands of people. He's in great shape but wrestling conditioning is a whole other beast.

Watched Tough Enough. Some thoughts

• Stone Cold is still a natural, comic gold when he started talking about how he released his bowels when slammed by Yokozuna.
  • Bill DeMott is pretty funny.
  • The women, jesus, where did they get them? :dry: Your one who was eliminated? Melina and Alicia Fox was her favourite ever match, enough said about this fake dimwit. Your one who was saved? There's no way in hell that she has the experience that she claims. The beauty queen? Awful.
  • The men aren't much better. Yes they are head and shoulders above the women but none of them are stars. The guy with the afro....words fail. When Stone Cold showed him how to sell himself and then he tried again, I cringed for the guy. Stone Cold, however, seemed happy with his effort. :huh:
In sum, this show will not produce someone who will establish themselves on the roster. It's just a vehicle to watch the legend that is Stone Cold again, laugh at Bill DeMott & Booker T, and look at Trish. :oldrazz:

The Big guys name is Erik Watts right? He's already got a name made in the business before his first match. Too bad its terrible. The poor b*stard.

I agree with you the chances of a good long term talent coming out of this show are slim. And even if it happens there's no guarantee it'll be the winner. Miz and Morrison are WWE stars while Maven is selling sh** on QVC now.

More often may mean more than once (live) in seven years. He's not going to come back and do 3 month long stints in WWE and it certainly won't be full of wrestling when he does come back.
And? The Rock can use that time off between his films to do promos and such for WWE.

And? The Rock can use that time off between his films to do promos and such for WWE.

AND? I never said he couldn't do promos. And he probably will. Whats your point? But Rock's not going to come back to WWE EVERY time he has time off. The guy also has a life.

And even when he DOES have time off he still has to prepare for other films and deal with any other ventures he might have going on. Theres more than just shooting. Theres going over projects, making deals, etc. Film productions take MONTHS or YEARS even when it comes to preparation. When he's not shooting you do know he may have to TRAIN for film roles in various ways right?

He's going to do a lot more video taped promos then he has done recently. There's nothing wrong with that.

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
He's going to do a lot more video taped promos then he has done recently. There's nothing wrong with that.

Rocks been doing taped promos for WWE for years.

I believe he did one for The Battle of the Billionaires and then did another one for the tenth anniversary Smackdown show. He's always been willing to do that even before he came back to WWE live.

There are many-a-fan like myself that didn't follow wrestling after The Rock left the scene. Taped video segments are ok for hold-overs. I'd like some live appearances sprinkled throughout the year. Otherwise, the product isn't worth getting into and watching every week...and it damn sure ain't worth dishing out cash for PPV's.

for years? Has he been doing other promos over the years? Because I've been watching since 2008 and rock returning for wrestlemania is the first involvement from him I've seen.

Granted I took a small break and missed his 10th anniversary promo. But he hasn't done anything else in those 2 years. And im not aware of anything else he's done since his 2003 retirement.

for years? Has he been doing other promos over the years? Because I've been watching since 2008 and rock returning for wrestlemania is the first involvement from him I've seen.

Granted I took a small break and missed his 10th anniversary promo. But he hasn't done anything else in those 2 years. And im not aware of anything else he's done since his 2003 retirement.

Rock did a taped promo for the Battle of the Billionaires in 2007 and also returned to induct his father and grandfather into the HOF in 2008.

His last Singles match was in 2003 but he teamed with Foley at WM20 in 2004 and made a few more appearances after. 2003 wasn't his last shot.

Rock 'N Sock vs Evolution at WM XX in 2004, a segment with Eugene and a couple other small appearances, but nothing really rememberable.

New thread eh? How about "Enough Is Enough, And It's Time For A New Wrestling Thread"

CMPunk CM Punk
The NXT rookies are SO passionate about our sport they can't even remember what happened at wrestlemania two nights before. Embarrassing.

fresh off punks twitter. ouch

How was I jerkish? Did I call you a name? Did I insult you? Did I tell you to shut up or tell you you couldn't say what you wanted?

My opinion is based on the facts that we do know. Can the Rock be in two places at once all the time? Its just like I asked you how can the Rock come back and have multi month long stints when he has Hollywood commitments?

How can he come back and wrestle more when there are insurance issues with studios that have to be considered? This is simple logistics. How is that being jerkish?

Do you think studios are going to wait around on 100 million dollar productions just so the Rock can go off and work for WWE for 3 months? I'm being realistic because I'm looking at it from every angle. Not because I'm basing my opinion on what I WANT to happen. I'd love for the Rock to come back but I'm being realistic and taking everything into consideration.

If Rock signs for a movie and then gets hurt wrestling what happens then? Do you think the studios are going to just be fine with letting him do that?

As for Nell he comes in here and thinks everyone is going to say something bad about him or assume something bad about him before anyone even says anything.

How am I being the jerk when you were the first one to hurl an insult?

You know man, if you're gonna get on my case for making assumptions about you, perhaps itd be appropriate for you to not do the same about me.

[SIZE=+0][SIZE=+2] Muhammad Hassan is back, sort of

[/SIZE]By COLIN HUNTER - SLAM! Wrestling

[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
hassan.jpg
invisible.gif

Marc Copani as Muhammad Hassan.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]He was one of the most controversial villains in wrestling history, whose actions and words touched a raw nerve in the beleaguered, post-9/11 American psyche. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Then, as quickly as he burst onto the wrestling scene and onto international headlines, he vanished -- not to be seen or even mentioned on television again. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]The story of how Marc Copani, a 23-year-old Italian college dropout from Syracuse, NY, became the incendiary Arab-American villain Muhammad Hassan is a story of timing and luck -- both good and bad. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]It has been six years since Copani got booted off network television and turned his back on professional wrestling, and only now has he decided to break his silence about his meteoric rise to infamy and his plummet into self-imposed obscurity. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]"For a long time I didn't want any more attention," Copani said in an interview with SLAM! Wrestling, one of only a handful he has granted since his 2005 departure from WWE. "But I figured this would be a good opportunity to get my side of the story out, six years later." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]His side of the story tells of a young, admittedly immature athlete who dreamed of stardom but got "too much, too quickly," and made a few enemies in high places along the way. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
For a while, Copani enjoyed his newfound notoriety portraying an embittered Arab-American claiming to be a victim of racial profiling and discrimination. But the pressures of being vaulted to main-event status, combined with death threats and a widespread disgust over his controversial gimmick, weighed heavily on the rookie wrestler. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]He loved performing in the ring -- it was a childhood dream-come-true -- but his infamy created pressures and problems for which he wasn't fully prepared. [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Now 30, with the wisdom of hindsight and perspective, Copani looks back on his wrestling days with some fondness and nostalgia, but with no desire to re-live them. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]"When I left wrestling, I told myself I would leave for good -- I knew that from the start," Copani said over the phone from upstate New York, where he's completing his long-postponed university degree in adolescent education and history. [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]In 2002, Copani was just one semester away from completing a history degree at the State University of New York in Buffalo when a thirst for adventure led him to Louisville, KY, where he signed up for the WWE breeding ground Ohio Valley Wrestling. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]He adopted the name Mark Magnus and trained alongside Nick "Eugene" Dinsmore and Johnny Jeter, developing in-ring fundamentals to match his chiseled physique. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]When word circulated that the bigwigs at WWE wanted to introduce an Arab-American character to the main roster, OVW honcho Jim Cornette approached Copani about playing the part. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"I thought it was pretty funny, actually -- playing an Arab," he recalled. "I'm 100 per cent Italian, from Syracuse, New York. But I was open to it, and I knew it was going to be a big opportunity." [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]He also knew it was potentially a big risk. Early on, he met with WWE road agent Arn Anderson, who regaled him with tales -- some funny, some worrisome -- about the intense hatred elicited by the Iron Sheik in the 1980s. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"Arn Anderson told me how to be prepared, and how it could all go downhill," said Copani. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]The writers at WWE toyed with a variety of ideas for the Arab-American character, such as making him an oil tycoon bent on procuring the world's fossil fuel supplies. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]The stroke of genius that separated Muhammad Hassan from all the previous middle-eastern heels was the idea that he was not evil at all, but rather a victim of American xenophobia and prejudice. [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]In a series of taped vignettes, accompanied by kinetic sidekick Daivari (who lent credibility to the middle-eastern conceit by "translating" Hassan's tirades in Persian), Hassan admonished the American public for unfair treatment of dark-skinned citizens. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]"I am an Arab-American," said a shirtless, oil-slathered Hassan in one early segment. "I grew up right here in America. I went to the same schools, I ate the same food, and there was never any animosity between us. But since 9/11, you people tend to generalize or stereotype people like me. We are singled out. We are humiliated. We demand the same rights that any American has!" [/SIZE]

copani.jpg

Marc Copani.

[SIZE=+0]It was a clever twist on the classic "evil foreigner" gimmick -- because he was neither evil nor a foreigner. He was victim -- an American citizen who endured racism and prejudice within his own country. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]He yearned for a better America, in which people are judged by their actions, not the colour of their skin. And people hated him for it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]"Everything I was saying was true, which is why fans loved to hate the character," said Copani. "They knew what I was saying was right, but they hated being told it." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]By the time Hassan and Daivari appeared on live television in December 2004 -- rudely interrupting Mick Foley, who was voicing his support for American troops abroad (and plugging his latest book) -- they were the most reviled heels in wrestling. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Week after week, the duo continued to interrupt other segments, their arrival preceded by middle-eastern-inspired music (which had a repetitive vocal chorus that sounded conspicuously like "Aliennnn, aaaliiiennnn, aaaliennn." [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]In fact, Hassan became so adept at rude interruptions that his name eventually became somewhat synonymous with the practice (look up "Hassan" on UrbanDictionary.com and you'll find an entry defining it as a verb meaning "to interrupt"). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Naturally, the more he interjected himself into WWE programming, and the more he complained about being treated unfairly, the more fans wanted to see him get his comeuppance. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]When he entered the 2005 Royal Rumble, the eight wrestlers already battling in the ring called a temporary ceasefire in order to gang up on Hassan, whom they promptly pounded and ejected over the top rope. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Hassan racked up an impressive collection of victories, usually through nefarious tactics, and by April 2005 found himself in a headlining role at WWE's cathedral, Madison Square Garden. Looking back, Copani fondly remembers it as the greatest night of his wrestling career. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]After getting himself disqualified in a match against Shawn Michaels (thanks to interference from Daivari), Hassan wrapped his headdress around Michaels' neck and proceeded to "hang" Michaels from the top rope. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Then the familiar guitar strains of Real American blasted from the loudspeakers, and out strode Hulk Hogan. The crowd, unsurprisingly, went bananas at the sight of the patriotic Hulkster. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"It was the loudest thing I had ever heard in my life," recalled Copani. "It was so loud, it was almost quiet -- a different kind of loud. The sound practically lifted me off the mat." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Hogan, the WWE's fabled vanquisher of foreign foes from The Iron Sheik to Yokozuna, unfurled some punches, a few kicks, and a vintage double-noggin-knocker to Hassan and Daivari, who flopped about accordingly. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Muhammad Hassan was trounced and humiliated; Copani, on the other hand, couldn't have been happier. He had grown up watching Hogan similarly dispatch foreign heels, and could hardly believe he now ranked among the villains upon whom Hulkamania had run wild. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]It would be one of the last high points in a career that had been teetering on the edge of disaster for months, and was about to tumble over it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Copani knew he was pushing the envelope with the Hassan character, and he had heard that angry letters and death threats were flowing in (though most were filtered out before they ever reached him personally). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]The trouble escalated when Hassan and Daivari were "drafted" from Raw to Smackdown, on the relatively more family-friendly UPN network. [/SIZE]

Davairi___Hassan_MikeCoons.jpg

Davairi and Muhammad Hassan at K&S Wrestlefest VI Spring Spectacular in April 2010, in Carteret, NJ. Photo by Michael Coons

[SIZE=+0]
On an episode of Smackdown taped on the fourth of July, 2005, Daivari faced The Undertaker in a prelude to the match scheduled between Hassan and The Undertaker at the upcoming Great American Bash. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]When Undertaker handily demolished Daivari, Hassan "prayed" at ringside to summon five men wearing ski masks and camouflage fatigues, who choked the Undertaker with piano wire, allowing Hassan to apply the camel clutch. [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Though recorded on a Tuesday, the episode aired the following Friday -- just hours after the terrorist bombings in London, England. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]The segment was lambasted by critics, with commentators in the New York Post, Variety and other mainstream publications saying that WWE had sunk to an all-time low in search of ratings. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]In a response that aired only on the WWE website, Hassan fought back, publicly admonishing New York Post writer Don Kaplan for assuming the thugs in ski masks were Arab terrorists (they were actually white guys, for the record). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"I went out there with the article in my hand. That was 100 percent ad lib on my part," Copani recalled. "(Kaplan) had made assumptions that were false, and I called him on it. That was one of my better interviews. Sadly, it was also my last one." [/SIZE]

hassan_daivari.jpg

Hassan and Daivari.

[SIZE=+0]The damage had been done, and when UPN pressured WWE to keep Hassan off the airwaves, Copani was released from his contract. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Copani thinks the debacle could have been prevented by some last-minute editing of Smackdown, but he knew the Hassan character was always on the verge of pushing things too far. [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"We had an idea something was going to happen," said Copani. "There had been a lot of pressure, especially from Arab Americans who thought the portrayal was unfair." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]So at the height of his infamy, Copani was unemployed -- but not particularly disappointed. His WWE tenure had been such a wild ride that he was dizzied and disillusioned, and he welcomed a respite from the chaos. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]"I had gotten everything too quickly in WWE," he said. "I was absolutely not ready. I was too immature. I was only 24 when all that happened. I wasn't mentally equipped to handle such a quick ascent. Looking back now, from a 30-year-old's perspective, I can see that I was just a kid back then." [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Hoping to explore a different side of showbiz, Copani moved to Los Angeles to try his hand at acting and writing -- a tough business, he would discover, but a nice change from wrestling. [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]It was during that time that he reconnected with his friend Shad Gaspard of the tag team Cryme Tyme, who mentioned a screenplay he'd been struggling to write. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Copani, an educated and imaginative man with a knack for storytelling, offered to take on the development of Gaspard's screenplay. [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"I took his original screenplay and rewrote it from scratch," he said. "I spent a year on it. We worked on it back and forth, piecing it together." [/SIZE]

Shad_assassin.jpg

Artwork from the upcoming Assassin and Son graphic novel.

[SIZE=+0]The result, after many drafts and do-overs, is the soon-to-be-released graphic novel Assassin and Son, published in three parts by Las Vegas-based Blackline Comics. [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]"It's a throwback to old samurai films with a mix of Kill Bill. Because Shad is a big black man and I'm a medium-sized Italian man, we had different influences growing up," said Copani.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]"Ultimately, it becomes a hero's quest for redemption." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]The imminent release of the book has inspired its reclusive author to emerge from semi-exile in his native New York State, oblige the occasional interview request and reconnect, to a small degree, with the wrestling world. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]On April 9, Copani will meet fans and sign autographs at the Super Saturday wrestling convention presented by K&S Promotions and Highspots in Essington, PA. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]His main motivation for attending the event, he confesses, is a free trip to the Philadelphia area, since he and his girlfriend want to visit the city. But he's also looking forward to seeing some familiar faces, particularly Daivari, and meeting the fans. [/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]He has only attended one other autograph signing since leaving WWE, and he was pleasantly surprised by how appreciative the fans were of his contributions to the business. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]"I live such a normal life right now, it's cool years later to see that people still remember the character I played," he said. "To talk to these fans and hear their gratitude, it's actually kind of shocking." [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]But Copani insists no amount of gratitude or nostalgia will make him return to the wrestling business full-time. He is nearly finished his college degree and intends to become a teacher. He's fascinated with world history -- particularly the great moments of American history, which he realizes is a tad ironic given his WWE persona -- and he is enjoying a stable, low-key existence. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]He occasionally receives offers to resurrect the middle-eastern character on the indie circuit around the U.S. and overseas, but he made up his mind that Muhammad Hassan will remain a remnant of his past. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]"I've seen too many guys well-past their primes (on the indie circuit) who get into unfortunate situations, and I didn't want to become that," he said. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]When pressed to be more specific on the subject, Copani declined to name names. Instead, he replied with six words that illustrate how vastly different he is from the character he famously portrayed: "I don't want to offend anyone." [/SIZE]

You know man, if you're gonna get on my case for making assumptions about you, perhaps itd be appropriate for you to not do the same about me.

Its not an assumption. You HAVE come in here and said you don't care if people call you something. You HAVE said people have called you all sorts of names and said you were disrespectful to the business. How is that an assumption on my part? You said it! You say it before anyone in this thread even says anything to you.

Remember this post by you?

Say what you want, that I don't know jack **** about wrestling, or that it's disrespectful to the business, or that I'm just conditioned to like whoever the 'E tells me to like (all things I have heard said about me and my fandom of WWE - not necessarily in this thread, but some of it, yea), but what Raven said is exactly how I feel about wrestling. You can't talk, you can't build a story, and cut a promo, then quite frankly I don't give a f--- and you can get out of the main event. There's a spot on the card for you - I *want* to see Daniel Bryan, and Evan Bourne, there is a place for Dolph Ziggler, and Kofi Kingston, and R-Truth. Just not in the main event. Not anywhere near it.

There are exceptions. There are rare examples of guys who are just SOOOO entertaining in the ring, and "tell stories" in a different way that I can accept them without them having mic skills (Rey Mysterio, for one). But like Raven said, even guys like Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho - as great as they were in ring, they were also great talkers that could cut an amazing promo also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"