Falcon is the new Captain America

ive def learned that comic "fans" i stress the "", are the worst critics in the world.

I just found out about the "FireRickRemender twitter fiasco over the weekend. The lady who started it and the tons of people who continued it are nuts.

I just found out about the "FireRickRemender twitter fiasco over the weekend. The lady who started it and the tons of people who continued it are nuts.

crazy...the internet will be our downfall

My new sig: There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan

i am frim believer in that as well if you dont like that %^&* , then dont buy the ^&*!!that's why they make BOOZE as a helpful alternative for that comic money to go towards!( who says its has to go to some kids college tuition fund!) hehe

Has a company ever gone back on a decision b/c of an angry Tumblr rant? I highly doubt it.

Does Cap really need a literal replacement running around all times? Must be part of his SHIELD insurance plan. Otherwise he's just an egotist.

That was extremely silly. I did like how, after numerous people pointed out that the alleged rape scene that kicked it off didn't actually happen, the lady tried to refocus onto all the other things wrong with Remender's run when she finally apologized. Kind of the poster child for "sorry not sorry."

crazy and ridiculous right? remender has done nothing but write a compelling different story for us. And the fans respond that way? I love jet black, and sam so GO JETALCON!

I am admittedly a new comics reader, ive been full in for a year now. This was the first new on going monthly cap series ive followed and i will cherish this run in my collection. In 20 years when im talking to my kids about my favorite moments from my younger days, the rick remender cap will be the one that i tell them about, with a giant smile on my face.

Last edited:
Haha, I feel the exact opposite way about Remender but I don't want him to lose his job. People act like anything they dislike just shouldn't exist. I only feel that way about Hopeless and his child-murdering books.

Not everyone is going to like everything. You like stuff i dont, and vice versa. Im constantly talked down to by "superior comic readers" because i enjoy things they don't. Its sad how someone can get so offensive towards someone for finding enjoyment in books and characters that don't fit those, "superior comic readers" ideals for comic book characters.

thats why i generally keep to myself and don't read alot of forum comments and participate in debates because i really don't understand the amount of negativity that is generated. Loving a fictional character so much that when they change, you attack them, the creator and the fans that like the idea is mind boggling to me.

Not everyone is going to like everything. You like stuff i dont, and vice versa. Im constantly talked down to by "superior comic readers" because i enjoy things they don't. Its sad how someone can get so offensive towards someone for finding enjoyment in books and characters that don't fit those, "superior comic readers" ideals for comic book characters.

thats why i generally keep to myself and don't read alot of forum comments and participate in debates because i really don't understand the amount of negativity that is generated. Loving a fictional character so much that when they change, you attack them, the creator and the fans that like the idea is mind boggling to me.

Yeah, the elitists amongst comic book readers are pretty rabid. Just don't let it deter you from reading what ya like. Threatening a member of the creative team for making a change you disagree with has got to be a sign of some sort of mental instability; but I'm no psychologist :o

However, after 10 years, you'll likely find yourself more and more like those guys. Not necessarily sending death threats to writers cuz he made your favorite character gay, but at the very least looking down on the noobs who think Spidey growing 4 more arms in an all new, never before done ever, 39 part story arc is the bee's vagina.

Last edited:
I can't wait until someone makes my favourite character gay!

I have a lot of problems with Remender's work. However, that hashtag just completely ruined any chance of having a decent conversation about those problems.

captain_america_by_mase0ne-d7rvb0c.png

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Captain-America-470073468

Not feeling that look.

The wings are all wrong.

Really don't like that look. It looks like he needed a costume NOW and just grabbed something out of Steves closet.

im liking everything i see, im excited for the new iron man and cap! Not thor tho, but im not even interested in him now, or in the past so i wouldnt read it regardless.

for the new captain america i am happy with the choice of who to replace him kind of sad to see Steve rogers step down but marvel is doing thing that i cant understand right now but i trust that marvel knows where they are going

loving the new thor female thing and the change of iron man

so i'm content

I trust I know where Marvel is going too......they're laughing there asses all the way to the bank.

I have a lot of problems with Remender's work. However, that hashtag just completely ruined any chance of having a decent conversation about those problems.

What are some of your issues with him??
I just love his ability to weave in existing continuity, plus he gives a great voice to lesser known characters, he wrote an impeccable Deadpool and had the best run of an X-comic since at least Whedon.

I've seen a lot of this "The twitter thing ruined our ability to more justifiably s**t on Remender" and I don't for the life of me understand why.

Granted, I haven't read a lot of his creator-owned stuff, so maybe others can provide me with better insight as to all the hate he gets.

I agree the #fireRemender movement is stupid but that's how the Internet rolls these days.

Remender's response to it at SDCC is less than tactful. From Bleeding Cool:

Joe Glass reports, a questioner who asked - "How much does the way that fans and the public react to your work affect what you do?", which the questioner aimed mainly at one panel member who has been embroiled in recent controversy.

To Rick Remender’s answer - "F**k them…if you’re allowing other people to affect the purity of intention of your story you’ll end up with something watered down and why do this."

He suggests the allegation made against his recent Captain America story was libellous, completely false and not something that was in the story at all, but read into it.

Remender needs to chill the hell out. There's a way to professionally phrase things and a way not to. He's making the same mistake Dan Slott and Matt Fraction have made before him. Marvel needs to reel these guys in. Yeah, #fireRemender is stupid but telling the fans to F off is not the way to handle it. A more diplomatic response is required in a situation like that. Marvel is a multi-million dollar company, not some auto repair shop.

:down

It's good to have contempt for your readers. You're doing a great job Marvel!

What are some of your issues with him??
I just love his ability to weave in existing continuity, plus he gives a great voice to lesser known characters, he wrote an impeccable Deadpool and had the best run of an X-comic since at least Whedon.

I've seen a lot of this "The twitter thing ruined our ability to more justifiably s**t on Remender" and I don't for the life of me understand why.

Granted, I haven't read a lot of his creator-owned stuff, so maybe others can provide me with better insight as to all the hate he gets.

A lot of my problems are with Uncanny Avengers, but they aren't exclusive to it. Havok's perspective is supposed to stand-in for Remender's and the reader's. Captain America decides that Havok will be the poster child for mutants (which in itself is problematic) and Remender writes this horrible and offensive speech that rejects decades of X-comics that have created a minority metaphor. He has Wanda say that mutants have a victim-complex, and Wasp culturally appropriates mutant culture through her fashion line (which is not frowned upon or questioned). Rogue is the only counter voice to all the bs, and her side is written in a less persuasive way. And she ends up apologizing to Wanda anyway. I really don't see how Marvel editors didn't have a problem with any of this.

Uncanny Avengers also has problems with the quality of the story telling, imo.

From his other works, Uncanny X-force was mostly great, except when Wolverine imagines the perfect life for Daken and he's, of course, going on a date with a woman (despite Daken being one of Marvel's few queer characters). That one doesn't upset me as much because it is from Wolverine's perspective, and he's heteronormative (which speaks to a bigger problem than just Remender). Regarding Captain America, Jett Zola was a teenage girl for a lot of the run so far, and her powers require bare skin... which is pretty uncomfortable.

And whenever anyone presents legitimate concerns he tells them to drown in hobo piss. However, the discussion has been centred around the non-rape in Captain America, which shouldn't be the case.

Last edited:
Yeah the Jett thing is a tad weird, but I'm also assuming it was always the plan to age her up quickly. Kind of the opposite of the Richards' kids, a character who was meant to be an adult but they wanted to show some important formative years for her first. Idk, it is weird, but I guess I could see what he's going for.

Daken's bi, not homosexual, so I don't see an issue with that one. Uncanny X-Force was an utterly perfect comic run as far as I'm concerned.

And the Havok speech, I can see the issue people have with it, but I also saw where Remender was coming from on it. The speech was more about culture than race, and he was right in that mutants don't really have a culture of their own (outside of a superhero culture maybe) assimilating is a bigger issue for groups that have an actual, shared history that they can take pride in. Mutants can only really point to the actions of the X-men (which are largely secret) or the brotherhood (which are terrorist-y) as "mutant history", so they may just rather keep it quiet.

but as for the whole Falcon-Jett thing, it was a bit weird, and a tad cliched with the whole drunken hook-up thing, and didn't even necessarily work as a story beat, but it was far from the most offensive thing I've seen in even more recent comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"