Fallout: New Vegas (PC, PS3, 360)

Even at max level Cazadors can tear you to pieces if they get close enough. Unless you're a Melee fighter, in which case you just punch them in their dumb faces.

Bwahahaha yeah I can't count the times I wished I had the dart gun from FO3 in NV. It made Deathclaws a cake walk.

I HATE those damn cazadors, even more when i put a shotgun blast right in their dome and they keep buzzing around. I almost gave up after they killed me a few times. I HATE games that treat hunting rifles like bee bee guns. SOOOOO stupid.

Even at max level Cazadors can tear you to pieces if they get close enough. Unless you're a Melee fighter, in which case you just punch them in their dumb faces.

Bwahahaha yeah I can't count the times I wished I had the dart gun from FO3 in NV. It made Deathclaws a cake walk.

Totally. In Vegas I was killed in two hits going against them at times. I was unprepared.

When I took down the deathclaws in Quarry Junction I found myself taking both Ed-E and Boone with me, and sniping them from a distance hoping to get critical hits. In 3, I rarely ever traveled with companions.

Last edited:
I HATE those damn cazadors, even more when i put a shotgun blast right in their dome and they keep buzzing around. I almost gave up after they killed me a few times. I HATE games that treat hunting rifles like bee bee guns. SOOOOO stupid.

gotta cripple their wings first man lol. And the Flamer is the beeeest weapon to deal with a swarm of those things.

Anyways that's the thing I really love about New Vegas, the enemies don't level scale. I still haven't killed a single Deathclaw lmao I gotta get around to it someday.

Last edited:
Old World Blues was great. Classic Fallout. Just finished, and extremely satisfied. Haven't seen the old style humor like that in ages.

Totally. In Vegas I was killed in two hits going against them at times. I was unprepared.

When I took down the deathclaws in Quarry Junction I found myself taking both Ed-E and Boone with me, and sniping them from a distance hoping to get critical hits. In 3, I rarely ever traveled with companions.

I never used a companion in FO3 unless you count Dogmeat I guess. But actual "character" companions or whatever...nope. I like the idea of the lone wanderer way more than a band of companions.

In FO3 it's almost impossible without one, though. Boone saved my ass countless times.

I never used a companion in FO3 unless you count Dogmeat I guess. But actual "character" companions or whatever...nope. I like the idea of the lone wanderer way more than a band of companions.

In FO3 it's almost impossible without one, though. Boone saved my ass countless times.

I just use Raul for his maintenance perk, and I tell him to wait in his shack. That way I can remain the lone wanderer, but I still keep my weapons intact.

Hmm I didn't know you could do that.

Another thing that really bothered me about the companions in NV is how specific the requirements are to advance their "personal quests." Like, if you don't have Raul with you at an exact moment of an exact event his quest can't progress any further or something. It's a stupid design.

Im the exact same way. Im trying to do a whole Book Of Eli thing here but dammit, i cant survive by myself. The damn game is so screwed up to where a shot gun blast to the face does so little damage.

Hmm I didn't know you could do that.

Another thing that really bothered me about the companions in NV is how specific the requirements are to advance their "personal quests." Like, if you don't have Raul with you at an exact moment of an exact event his quest can't progress any further or something. It's a stupid design.

Especially crappy is that Raul's quest is still one of the major bugs that hasn't been fixed. If you kill that Golf Club boss fiend before doing Raul's quest, corporal Sterling glitches and you can't speak to him, so as of now I can't get Raul's perk up to full power.

^ Glad to know they still haven't fixed the major glitches almost a year later. :o

I also meant to say "New Vegas is almost impossible without companions," not FO3, but I'm not gonna bother editing my post. And Pat, I remember when I first started playing NV I thought for sure the damage system was glitched or something for that very reason. I couldn't believe when I shot a Radscorpion point blank with a shotgun and it didn't even knock off one bar of life. Crazy!

^ Glad to know they still haven't fixed the major glitches almost a year later. :o

I also meant to say "New Vegas is almost impossible without companions," not FO3, but I'm not gonna bother editing my post. And Pat, I remember when I first started playing NV I thought for sure the damage system was glitched or something for that very reason. I couldn't believe when I shot a Radscorpion point blank with a shotgun and it didn't even knock off one bar of life. Crazy!

Well they seem to have fixed most of the major glitches, this is just one of the few that remains. I wish they'd fix it though, I use nothing but hand loader ammo, which degrades my weapons pretty quickly.

And Pat, I remember when I first started playing NV I thought for sure the damage system was glitched or something for that very reason. I couldn't believe when I shot a Radscorpion point blank with a shotgun and it didn't even knock off one bar of life. Crazy!

Glad im not the only one who felt that way. IMO it has pretty much taken all the fun out of the game for me. I think i might go back to Fallout 3, as i still have yet to purchase and complete the Pitt.

Glad im not the only one who felt that way. IMO it has pretty much taken all the fun out of the game for me. I think i might go back to Fallout 3, as i still have yet to purchase and complete the Pitt.

I feel the opposite I guess. As big a fan of F03 as I am, there was never any danger of losing unless you just did something stupid.

I feel the opposite I guess. As big a fan of F03 as I am, there was never any danger of losing unless you just did something stupid.

I just cant enjoy a game that doesnt feature semi authentic weapon damage, when there are semi authentic weapons featured. I get it in Halo and the space shooters and what not, but here, i want a gun to act like a gun.

I just cant enjoy a game that doesnt feature semi authentic weapon damage, when there are semi authentic weapons featured. I get it in Halo and the space shooters and what not, but here, i want a gun to act like a gun.

It does act like a gun, you're just facing radioactive mutant superstrong animals. It's an RPG, not a one-hit kill combat sim.

I REALLY need to play Old World Blues. :up:

It's got the best sense of humor since the old fallouts, and some cool forshadowing of your final showdown with Ulysses. It also has a lot of backstory for the actual creation of a lot of stuff you find in the modern fallouts.

Agreed on both counts. I used Dogmeat and Fawkes a bit in 3, but never on any quests, plus I liked going solo. In this game I was forced to use companions quite a bit. Though I'd mostly leave 'em in Novac to go alone but still keep their perks.

And yes, Boone is the man. Definitely my favorite companion in the game, but also my favorite character period.

guys, I've seen this game New at retailers for $20. Should I pick up now at that price? Or wait to see if they will come out with a GOTY edition with all the DLC?

guys, I've seen this game New at retailers for $20. Should I pick up now at that price? Or wait to see if they will come out with a GOTY edition with all the DLC?

At ten bucks per dlc, it'll probably amount to the same price.

It's because of the level scaling in Fallout 3 lol, that's why I love New Vegas more. The "Beware of Deathclaws!" Signs actually mean something. If you stick to enemies around your level or lower you'll be fine... but yeah, if you travel off the roads when you're level 1-7 you're gonna have a tough time surviving. Later on though? Aside from a Deathclaw you shouldn't have much problem taking out anything with a blast from a shotty, on Very Easy at least.

It's got the best sense of humor since the old fallouts, and some cool forshadowing of your final showdown with Ulysses. It also has a lot of backstory for the actual creation of a lot of stuff you find in the modern fallouts.

It also has the best house and introduces the best trait in the game. :up: 5 extra points to level up with at the cost of levelling up a little slower? Yes please!

Dr. Mobius is prolly my fave character in the whole game too hahah.

Some enemies in NV are still pretty ridiculous even at higher levels. Humans, not so much, but mutated bugs and stuff can pack a wallop. I agree that FO3 might be seen as "too easy" at times, but that's what the difficulty system should be used for.

IMO, as much as I loved New Vegas, it took me a while to really get into it because I'd be running my ass off from so many enemies. Kinda takes the fun out of it a bit when you have to hide and/or run away until you're like level 15-20.

It does act like a gun, you're just facing radioactive mutant superstrong animals. It's an RPG, not a one-hit kill combat sim.

I don't care if it's an rpg, arcade shooter or fps. A rifle should act like a rifle. Ie, if I shoot a human in the face with a .44 caliber round, he shouldn't be able to keep taking a swing at me. That completely takes you out of the experience. That's the problem with a lot of these rpg's, they focus too much on stupid behind the scenes "stats" instead of actual gameplay.

Last edited:
Some enemies in NV are still pretty ridiculous even at higher levels. Humans, not so much, but mutated bugs and stuff can pack a wallop. I agree that FO3 might be seen as "too easy" at times, but that's what the difficulty system should be used for.

IMO, as much as I loved New Vegas, it took me a while to really get into it because I'd be running my ass off from so many enemies. Kinda takes the fun out of it a bit when you have to hide and/or run away until you're like level 15-20.

Yeah it's kind of a bummer but it can force you to get creative.

Like with the Legion crew that annihilated Nipton... usually I let them walk coz I can't take them down with a 9mm and Caravan shotty that early in the game, even on very easy. But on one of my playthroughs I managed to kill them all with 5 mines strategically placed around a house, a stick of dynamite and a couple bullets lol it was awesome.

If it were Fallout 3 I'd just VATS 'em all with the Hunting Rifle.
awesome.gif

I don't care if it's an rpg, arcade shooter or fps. A rifle should act like a rifle. Ie, if I shoot a human in thace with a .44 caliber round, he shouldn't be able to keep taking a swing at me. That completely takes you out of the experience. That's the problem with a lot of these rpg's, they focus too much on stupid behind the scenes "stats" instead of actual gameplay.

I know what you mean, that's why I play on very easy. I tried playing very hard coz I do like a challenge, but when I land 5 shots on a Raider's head and all they do is stumble back a bit... hahah that's just, ugh. I like the idea of skill progression but a bullet has gotta do its job if it lands.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"