Feige: "The multiverse is the next step in the evolution of the MCU"

djsunyc

Sidekick
Reaction score
“The multiverse is the next step in the evolution of the MCU,” said Feige. “And Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is gonna crack it wide open in ways that will have repercussions for a Disney+ series just before it, that’s not WandaVision, and for movies just after it in a big, fun way.”

Feige previously revealed that the Doctor Strange sequel will spin out of the events of WandaVision, which hits Disney+ in early 2021. The streaming service’s upcoming Loki series will also tie into the film, but it’s interesting that Feige neglected to mention this show by name. The only other series premiering before Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness opens in theaters is The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, which arrives in the fall of 2020. However, it’s hard to imagine the multiverse playing a role in a series that’s being described as a spy thriller.

Read more at Kevin Feige Teases the Multiverse's Role in Upcoming MCU Projects

this has got to be the way mutants and the FF are introduced, right?

It's the first thing I thought about; but it does seem strange to me. I was never a fan of the notion that mutants are from a different reality--it's almost a little too Superman-esque (super-powered beings rocketing to Earth from a faraway place). However, maybe having the mutants essentially be dimensional immigrants could play nicely into a larger geo-political narrative that could weave throughout the mutants' story in the MCU--they're now the ultimate outcasts, gifted with immense power but in a world that literally does not understand them nor want them.

Even still, I'd prefer mutants are from Earth 616, and that they've in fact been in hiding & are small in numbers. I'd rather they be tied to Eternals / Celestial tampering instead of the multiverse--maybe I can get behind that for the Fantastic Four, but I hate the idea of more time-displaced heroes (i.e. the current fan fave idea to have the FF be from the 60s)

I'm very interested in seeing the MCU Multiverse, and I'm hoping that will include the Negative Zone and the Mojoverse. What I don't want to see is other earths with slightly tweaked versions of previously established characters. Like, I have zero interest in bumping into Hairdresser Tony Stark or Lunch Lady Carol Danvers.

If mutants are not native to Earth, they are not the next step in human evolution. They are extraterrestrials from another planet that are completely unnatural to our Earth's eco system.

This theory is highly unappealing to me because it undermines so many characters and concepts to the X-Men franchise that are vital. I would be disappointed if Marvel went the "X-Men Phone Home" route for the mutants. I'd much rather have them tied to the Eternals/Celestials

And there is absolutely zero reason for the Fantastic Four to be another dimension. What purpose does that serve? I would like to see the F4 explore the Multiverse at some point (Negative Zone) but I don't see the need for they, themselves to be from another universe... Just properly establish them in the universe we've spent the past 11 years building, y'know, the universe the audience actually cares about

Overall, it's a way to make a movie that's unconnected while being connected at the same time to fit the definition of MCU.:o

I'd like to think the multiverse could be used to make some pretty unpredictable endings from time to time where the hero doesn't always win or something else highly unusual happens one wouldn't get away with in a normal film without being out of a franchise. The Endgame writers (who wrote a pretty bland ending I must admit that doesn't hold as much in a 2nd watch minus a theatre going experience with lots of people) say this means it takes away from stakes when we all know how Endgame ended. So yeah, it'll mainly be there for added effects and room to make errors in terms of connectedness it would appear at least as far as the MCU packaged content goes.

If it's not MCU packaged then it's never existed I suppose is the correct Newspeak attitude to have.:o

Last edited:
I'm thinking it may be less about the Mutants and the FF than it may be about soft-reboots/integration of Deadpool and the Netflix characters.

It also opens the possibility to introducing new Steve Rogers or New Tony Starks etc. with different actors.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this sort of thing because it can get too complicated and weird, but it is a big feature in the comics and Marvel hasn't done me wrong so far, so I'll withhold judgement until I see what they come up with.

I'm thinking it may be less about the Mutants and the FF than it may be about soft-reboots/integration of Deadpool and the Netflix characters.

It also opens the possibility to introducing new Steve Rogers or New Tony Starks etc. with different actors.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this sort of thing because it can get too complicated and weird, but it is a big feature in the comics and Marvel hasn't done me wrong so far, so I'll withhold judgement until I see what they come up with.

I only see this working for Reynolds. It in-universe explains the character's 4th wall breaking. Deadpool and the Exiles could be a cool 3rd film to help get him to the MCU.

I'd love to see some of the Netflix characters survive, but not through multiverse shenanigans. A soft reboot is fine--but just be vague about their origins rather than introduce them as separate dimensions.

this has got to be the way mutants and the FF are introduced, right?

It's the first thing I thought about; but it does seem strange to me. I was never a fan of the notion that mutants are from a different reality--it's almost a little too Superman-esque (super-powered beings rocketing to Earth from a faraway place). However, maybe having the mutants essentially be dimensional immigrants could play nicely into a larger geo-political narrative that could weave throughout the mutants' story in the MCU--they're now the ultimate outcasts, gifted with immense power but in a world that literally does not understand them nor want them.

Even still, I'd prefer mutants are from Earth 616, and that they've in fact been in hiding & are small in numbers. I'd rather they be tied to Eternals / Celestial tampering instead of the multiverse--maybe I can get behind that for the Fantastic Four, but I hate the idea of more time-displaced heroes (i.e. the current fan fave idea to have the FF be from the 60s)
If mutants are not native to Earth, they are not the next step in human evolution. They are extraterrestrials from another planet that are completely unnatural to our Earth's eco system.

This theory is highly unappealing to me because it undermines so many characters and concepts to the X-Men franchise that are vital. I would be disappointed if Marvel went the "X-Men Phone Home" route for the mutants. I'd much rather have them tied to the Eternals/Celestials

And there is absolutely zero reason for the Fantastic Four to be another dimension. What purpose does that serve? I would like to see the F4 explore the Multiverse at some point (Negative Zone) but I don't see the need for they, themselves to be from another universe... Just properly establish them in the universe we've spent the past 11 years building, y'know, the universe the audience actually cares about

My assumption is that the cracks in the multiverse is what gives way to the cosmic energy that sparks the x-gene and the F4. Not literally having immigrants from another dimension. This would obviously not be localized to a certain era in the mcu. Loki and Eternals are obviously not chained to the most modern timeline.

Perhaps the multiverse of madness sparks an x-gene in early human history?

As long as they don't dip into the Fox-Men universe and bring those X-Men back into the MCU, I'll be a happy camper.

The mcu is a alternate universe anyway and it's not 616 from the comics.
So mcu mutants could be coming from another mcu alternate to the main mcu universe if they do it that way.
Marvel Cinematic Universe
Earth-199999 | Marvel Database | FANDOM powered by Wikia
Earth-199999

If X-Men and FF are from another earth, then aren't they still human? They're just not from Earth 616. They're not extra terrestrials as such, or from another planet.

In the Arrowverse, are alternate earth versions of the Flash considered non human?

I think someone from another earth is from another planet and not native.
So they are alien,but still human and they have different histories etc..
The mcu get ideas from the main marvel universe and the ultimate marvel universe anyway but it is it's own thing as well.

My assumption is that the cracks in the multiverse is what gives way to the cosmic energy that sparks the x-gene and the F4. Not literally having immigrants from another dimension. This would obviously not be localized to a certain era in the mcu. Loki and Eternals are obviously not chained to the most modern timeline.

Perhaps the multiverse of madness sparks an x-gene in early human history?
See, I like this but it creates the very big problem of how are older mutants like Magneto, Charles, Wolverine or, in an extreme example, Apocalypse, going to work?

See, I like this but it creates the very big problem of how are older mutants like Magneto, Charles, Wolverine or, in an extreme example, Apocalypse, going to work?

If it's a time travel effect ("sparks an x-gene in the far past"), then they were always there, at least according to the timeline as it exists now. Realistically that's always been the only option for Apocalypse and Wolverine, anyway. If they exist, then they must have existed since ancient times and frontier times respectively. If we've never heard of them before, it's no different than how we never heard of Ant-man, Captain Marvel or the Eternals before.

Magneto and Charles could theoretically be updated to merely early middle-aged men just reaching the point of putting their lives' work into motion. Or they could have also been working in the shadows for decades, but I don't really like that option. In any case, the x-gene would always have to have a long but probably narrow history, just like it does in the comics.

I've got to say, I'm not a fan of the multiverse; especially if they're going to traditional route. We've got the What If's, let that be it for alternate characters please. If there's other Earth's out there with other Tony Starks and Steve Rogers, I just think it'll be too much.

Just look at the Arrowverse Multiverse and how cluttered and inconsistent all of that is. I know it's on a smaller budget, but a lot of the issues would transition across here, and I'd rather them not do that. As smart and as clever as many of the film writers and producers are, nobody is smart enough to conclusively wrap these details up. Even Endgame didn't explore and/or explain every result of the snap.

Apocalypse could be the pivotal character in merging this problem with the Eternals movie since he and Celestials are intertwined in the origin and history of the X-gene.

If it's a time travel effect ("sparks an x-gene in the far past"), then they were always there, at least according to the timeline as it exists now. Realistically that's always been the only option for Apocalypse and Wolverine, anyway. If they exist, then they must have existed since ancient times and frontier times respectively. If we've never heard of them before, it's no different than how we never heard of Ant-man, Captain Marvel or the Eternals before.

Magneto and Charles could theoretically be updated to merely early middle-aged men just reaching the point of putting their lives' work into motion. Or they could have also been working in the shadows for decades, but I don't really like that option. In any case, the x-gene would always have to have a long but probably narrow history, just like it does in the comics.
This is what I've been saying. Mutants have to exist/have always existed in the MCU, there's really no getting around that. That's the purpose Eternals can serve, by establishing the X-Gene in primordial humans.

The question is not whether mutants exist but how many. Mutants merely existing does not mean there are thousands upon millions of them freely roaming the planet without a single incident> exposure to mass media. That is a scenario that I agree is highly improbable.

What needs to be taken into account is that mutants in the Marvel Universe did not immediately start off as a threat to mankind's dominance on the planet. When the mutant concept was first introduced, mutants had always existed but in reasonably undetectable numbers. The original Lee/Kirby run was the beginning of the mutant age - the catalyst being the onset of atomic radiation via Cold War hence the "Children of the Atom" synonym.

All they have to do is establish that mutants are a newly emerging sub-species (As far as the media public is concerned) that is rapidly growing. There are many viable triggers in the MCU that can cause this to happen, we are just coming off of the most devastating event in the planet's history after all.

This is what I've been saying. Mutants have to exist/have always existed in the MCU, there's really no getting around that. That's the purpose Eternals can serve, by establishing the X-Gene in primordial humans.

The question is not whether mutants exist but how many. Mutants merely existing does not mean there are thousands upon millions of them freely roaming the planet without a single incident> exposure to mass media. That is a scenario that I agree is highly improbable.

What needs to be taken into account is that mutants in the Marvel Universe did not immediately start off as a threat to mankind's dominance on the planet. When the mutant concept was first introduced, mutants had always existed but in reasonably undetectable numbers. The original Lee/Kirby run was the beginning of the mutant age - the catalyst being the onset of atomic radiation via Cold War hence the "Children of the Atom" synonym.

All they have to do is establish that mutants are a newly emerging sub-species (As far as the media public is concerned) that is rapidly growing. There are many viable triggers in the MCU that can cause this to happen, we are just coming off of the most devastating event in the planet's history after all.

^

I agree.
It's really very simple. I don't get why everyone is always overthinking the mutant stuff in the MCU.

I just don't like multiverse stuff. It gets confusing and boring pretty quickly imo.
'Into the Spiderverse' is maybe an exception, but generally the whole multiverse thing always ends in 'oh no, here is a threat that will destroy all of our worlds!' and I'm kinda sick of those stories tbh.

I really think this is how Blade and the horror aspects of the Marvel universe get introduced. I also think Deadpool will make a surprising cameo in this. No one will see that coming. I think mutants may get mentioned but I am so convinced that the Eternals is where they will be really introduced into the MCU.

You need a multiverse because at some point they will want to revisit Tony Stark and Steve Rogers in the future.

You need a multiverse because at some point they will want to revisit Tony Stark and Steve Rogers in the future.
Nobody needs to rivisit Tony and Steve from another universe and I personally really hope they don't do this.

Nobody needs to rivisit Tony and Steve from another universe and I personally really hope they don't do this.
Right now it's easy to say, but in ten years? A different Cap or Iron Man could just be what's needed. I think it would happen well into the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"