Coronavirus and its possible impact on upcoming MCU productions

Darkprime

Sidekick
Reaction score
So Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness is the next MCU film scheduled to start production in early May. I think there is a very real possibility that filming gets pushed back due to coronavirus. Id say productions filming in the second half of the year are likely safe. But productions starting in the spring leading into the summer are where it gets a bit uncertain as more and more locations go into quarantine and lockdown.

Films in the pipeline

Doctor Strange 2 - Filming early May

Spider-Man 3 - Filming in July

Thor: Love and Thunder - Filming in August

Disney+ series in the pipeline

Ms-Marvel - Filming in September

She-Hulk - Filming in August

Moon Knight - Filming in November

I have to wonder how it'll affect Black Widow since it's supposed to be coming out next month or the beginning of May. Will Disney actually keep that release date or will they postpone it until a later date?

If these theatrical releases were all threatened long term, at least they would be massive exclusives for Disney Plus.

The Eternals film will probably be delayed with Black Widow in it's place I'm guessing as things look now.

Marvel always does re-shoots and re-edits films a lot in post-production constantly trying to test screen so I doubt they'll have the Eternals film ready not to mention not wanting to pay all the money on marketing when it's unknown what economic issues might be present in various territories or changes in public theater habits even if the virus has subsided in most areas.

I think Dr. Strange was in a lot of flux lately so maybe this will give Marvel Studio's time to focus mainly on their SVOD offerings with 1 (or 2 if count Eternals) theater films aimed at late next year depending on outbreak status. I doubt they'll front load multiple projects with too many unknown variables this year.

Last edited:
I think, Eternals and Shang Chi could be finished to be released in the planned slots. But I was concerned before the dramatic changes due to the Corona Virus that Doctor Strange will be delayed, after Scot Derickson was fired.
My guess is, the Eternal will be delayed and will get the May 21 slot - it has enough starpower to be the big spring blockbuster - Shang Chi doesn‘t!
Thor will stay on November 21, because there are much information spilled out the last days - its way more in pre-production, than Multiverse
Multiverse might be released in February 2022

I‘m also every day now more and more sure, that Black Widdow, will be delayed and will get the Eternal-date in November this year

Shang-Chi should have been filming like early January while Dr. Strange should have gotten a new director (Sam Raimi is still not official) by last month, before CoronaVirus cases started ballooning in five digits. And this outbreak is going to delay things even more. They would be lucky to release 3 films next year. Spider-man and Thor will be heavily affected by this well especially production staff come from different countries. Especially if Black Widow moves to another date, it would have a domino effect into Disney's release schedule.

Also, I think the streaming side will not make things easier/quickier for Marvel Studios. They can't simply release 4 movies per year while also producing three to four streaming shows.

So I will only believe this 4 movies per year when I see it.

Very good chance Black Widow gets delayed, though Disney seems to be very stubbornly sticking this out. They haven't even blinked with Mulan, yet. There's no way Eternals gets delayed. They aren't going to through off their whole release schedule just in the case that BW needs a new slot.

In terms of shooting for next year's movies, if there's still prohibitive problems over a month out from now, something will have gone very, VERY wrong and the MCU will be the least of our worries.

I'm thinking

Black Widow - July 2020
Eternals - November 2020
Shang-Chi - May 2021
Spider-Man - July 2021
Thor - November 2021
Dr. Strange - February 2022
Black Panther - May 2022
Captain Marvel - July 2022

Marvel's 'Shang-Chi' Temporarily Suspends Production as Director Self-Isolates (Exclusive)
As many of you know, Destin, our director, has a new born baby. He wanted to exercise additional caution given the current environment and decided to get tested for Covid-19 today. He is currently self-isolating under the recommendation of his doctor. While he waits for the results of the test, we are suspending 1st unit production in an abundance of caution until he gets the results this coming week. Second unit and off production will continue as normal. We will reach out to everyone by Tuesday for the latest update.

This is an unprecedented time. We appreciate everyone’s understanding as we work through this.

Yikes.
Disney is shutting down multiple productions over the coronavirus pandemic.

Those films include The Little Mermaid, which was going to begin shooting in London next week, Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings, Home Alone, The Last Duel, and Nightmare Alley. Peter Pan & Wendy and Shrunk, both in pre-production, are being shut down as well.
Disney Suspends Film Production Amid Coronavirus Concerns

Will we ever see a new mcu flick this year? I need my mcu dose and Aos doesn't evwn count.

Coronovirus will be a thing of the past by Summer. Oddly enough...this might be a huge boost to Black Widow, as it's becoming one of the few "big" movies to see. The worry is the delay on OTHER films and Disney Plus shows because of all this.

I highly doubt, that it‘ll be a thing of the past by Summer. Only if they find a cure soon, but I guess that‘ll be months or even years.
I was also looking forward for MCU news every day, but this also over

Coronovirus will be a thing of the past by Summer. Oddly enough...this might be a huge boost to Black Widow, as it's becoming one of the few "big" movies to see. The worry is the delay on OTHER films and Disney Plus shows because of all this.
I hope you're right but when the number of cases are rising everyday in 4 digits, then its hard to say it would be over by summer. We have no cure yet and who knows how long will that take? Even if we have a cure that could take months before everybody gets an access to it.

Also marketing things take time. he global economy wouldn't recover overnight. People are also losing income/jobs due to this coronavirus and I doubt millions of people would start watching movies in cinemas like they used to in just a few months.

I actually don't think the delay will be all that harmful in the long run if we're talking about the slate going forward.

Ironically, with the last films ending on Endgame and SMFFH, it sort of lends itself to a natural resting period before kicking things into high gear again for the audience.

Had this whole thing happened right after Infinity War was released, it would have sucked alot more. Thankfully its happened during a resetting and transitioning period in terms of the MCU. In other words there aren't any real huge event films and stories like the Infinity saga just yet.

If the delay means the films get pushed back a bit, I actually don't see that as too bad a thing. If anything it builds anticipation for a return to the MCU.

I actually don't think the delay will be all that harmful in the long run if we're talking about the slate going forward.

Ironically, with the last films ending on Endgame and SMFFH, it sort of lends itself to a natural resting period before kicking things into high gear again for the audience.

Had this whole thing happened right after Infinity War was released, it would have sucked alot more. Thankfully its happened during a resetting and transitioning period in terms of the MCU. In other words there aren't any real huge event films and stories like the Infinity saga just yet.

If the delay means the films get pushed back a bit, I actually don't see that as too bad a thing. If anything it builds anticipation for a return to the MCU.

They could've had a 5-year gap between Infinity War and Endgame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"