Rogue One Felicity Jones Is The Lead

Snow Queen

Universally Loathed Feminazi (she/her)
Staff member
Reaction score
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/felicity-jones-star-wars-standalone-pic-1201422533/

Disney and Lucasfilm have tapped Felicity Jones to star in the “Star Wars” standalone movie from director Gareth Edwards.

Jones was one of several actresses to have met for the role along with Rooney Mara and Tatiana Maslany.

Edwards (“Godzilla”) is directing with Chris Weitz penning the script.

Plot details are unknown.

Jones was recently nominated for the best actress Oscar in “The Theory of Everything” opposite Eddie Redmayne. She is repped by WME.

Should have gone with Maslany.

Unless I'm misinterpreting this, as I see some sites reporting this as she's just being eyed for it now. But from the phrasing on this article it seems to me that she's in, right? Or am I just reading this wrong?

Last edited:
Yessssssssssssssssssssss! YES YES! :woot:

THR and The Wrap are saying Aaron Paul (with a mention of Edgar Ramierz by THR) is being looked at for the male lead.

Mackenzie Davis was in the running too. Who is SO BEAUTIFUL. She'll have her chance to shine one day.

From the Wrap:

Chris Weitz is rewriting Gary Whitta’s screenplay, which is rumored to involved Boba Fett’s family. The script also features a male lead that Aaron Paul is being eyed for.

Loving this. Just saw Felicity in The Theory of Everything and she was fantastic.

Not too big on the Aaron Paul rumor though. I'm a fan of the guy but I don't think he's a leading man, at least not for this kind of thing. I like the prospect of Ramirez better.

Maslany would've been ideal but I like Jones too so I'm good. Depends really on what they're looking for in the lead.

Aaron Paul is damn good actor. But he's not a versatile actor either. Like his Jesse Pinkman was a fascinating character with amazing depth. But when he plays against the against-type, he tends to be merely okay or kinda boring. Keep in mind, I haven't seen Smashed or all of his smaller films. I could be wrong about this.

Maslany would've been ideal but I like Jones too so I'm good. Depends really on what they're looking for in the lead.

There's a part of me who thinks Maslany is too…unconventional looking for Hollywood. I hope I'm wrong.

I love Felicity Jones! :hrt:

tumblr_ndu1zvyqKx1qznfkso5_r1_1280.jpg

:hubba

Easily the most talented (and hottest :D) of the group of actresses, up for the role.

I wonder who's she's playing? :hmm

:atp: :atp: :atp:

But anyways, I'm very happy about this casting. She's easily my favorite of the actresses who were up for the role. Really hoping the Aaron Paul thing doesn't end up happening though...

:atp: :atp: :atp:

But anyways, I'm very happy about this casting. She's easily my favorite of the actresses who were up for the role. Really hoping the Aaron Paul thing doesn't end up happening though...

I only know Paul from BB and his character in that doesn't lend itself well to anything really. I'd have to do some research on him.

Love the Felicity casting even though I would have loved Maslani more.

Now we just need to figure out who is playing who.

http://otlnews.net/2015/02/03/felicity-jones-to-star-in-a-galaxy-far-far-away/

Felicity is immense in The Theory of Everything. This makes me excited. :up:

Aaaaand this is why we wait for the trades.

Ugh, sometimes I hate being right. Jones was the more expected choice with her current buzz/Oscar nod, and while I admit she was good in Theory of Everything, I've just never warmed up to her as an actress in general. Would've preferred either of the other two actresses up for it, especially Maslany. Oh well.

The prospect of either Aaron Paul or Edgar Ramirez being in this still makes me excited, though.

Aaron Paul is damn good actor. But he's not a versatile actor either. Like his Jesse Pinkman was a fascinating character with amazing depth. But when he plays against the against-type, he tends to be merely okay or kinda boring. Keep in mind, I haven't seen Smashed or all of his smaller films. I could be wrong about this.

Yeah, I just feel like he's not a leading man. Yeah, I know he was a co-lead on Breaking Bad, but both leads on that show are character leads. I might be wrong though; maybe I just need to wash the stench of NEED FOR SPEED out of my brain.

Granted, that movie would have sucked no matter what, but Paul was lousy in it.

Yeah, I just feel like he's not a leading man. Yeah, I know he was a co-lead on Breaking Bad, but both leads on that show are character leads. I might be wrong though; maybe I just need to wash the stench of NEED FOR SPEED out of my brain.

Granted, that movie would have sucked no matter what, but Paul was lousy in it.
^As much I love Aaron I think I might have to agree with you there. Edgar Ramirez, on the other hand, works in lead OR supporting roles very well. Would LOVE to see him snag a role in this.

Yeah. As I said in another thread, we don't know anything about these roles but if this is a romantic lead type of role, I think Ramirez has that kind of presence more than Paul.

Hopefully Jones has something to do other than "the pretty girlfriend/SO" role. She's like the most feminine of the names that I know that were tested for the role.

I love Felicity Jones! :hrt:

tumblr_ndu1zvyqKx1qznfkso5_r1_1280.jpg

:hubba

Easily the most talented (and hottest :D) of the group of actresses, up for the role.

I wonder who's she's playing? :hmm
I am also a fan, but you clearly haven't seen the other women work. They are all very talented.

Good for Felicity Jones.

Aaron Paul is great as Jesse. I thought he was good in NFS too...however the movie was bad and it was like his character was in a completely separate movie from every other character. I need to see Smashed. BUt I never thought of him as leading man.
But I hope he proves me wrong because he's a great actor. He just might be one of the actors who are good but are always themselves/not a character actor

Seriously though, congrats to Felicity Jones. A talented and beautiful actress who has worked her butt off. I am definitely a fan and think she will do a great job. Also, It is so weird and so exciting to see people I have watched for years, heck grew up seeing in smaller, supporting roles get these big projects. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"