Frank Miller's Project: XERXES

Drz

Real Hero
Reaction score
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/her...me-greek-myths-but-with-epic-differences.html

The Zack Snyder film, the highest-grossing March release ever, was based on Frank Miller’s graphic novel about King Leonidas and his doomed army of Spartans; Miller is preparing a follow-up now titled “Xerxes,” which begins about 10 years before the events of “300,” and Snyder has expressed interest in it as a film property as well. “It’s the battle of Marathon through my lens,” Miller said Wednesday. “I’ve finished the plot and I’m getting started on the artwork.”
Miller said he is not surprised Greece is resurgent in Hollywood. “Every generation returns to ancient Greece because, well, the stories are so damn good,” said the artist, who also directed last year’s “The Spirit.” Miller said that during his research trips to Greece he realized that the myth and history overlap begins to blur, which adds to the storytelling allure. “The fact and the myth are inseparable and, believe me, when you go sailing for a while in the Aegean Sea, you start believing in Poseidon

I just hope Zack Snyder won't add his mutant henchmen he gave to the persians. >_<

Never cared much for 300, either the comic or the movie, and Miller has fallen so far with his stuff in recent years I think this is one is safe to pass

I just hope Miller gets a great colorist to work with the project like he did with 300. :) I think it has nice potential to see the young Xerxes as a soldier for his father and whatnot. It has potential for sure!

I like 300, but the last good thing Miller wrote was the 7th Sin City book, and it came out in 2000. I don't have much confidence in anything he's making now.

They just had to mention The Spirit. :csad:

I just hope Zack Snyder won't add his mutant henchmen he gave to the persians. >_<

:huh:

The film is told by Dilios to act as an inspiration to the rest of Sparta to rally them against the Persians. The whole thing is exaggerated on purpose. The "mutant henchmen" don't really exist as "mutant henchmen" but probably as large, fierce warriors. "Mutant Henchmen" show the Spartans the kind of "monsters" they're up against and why, amongst other things, Persia must be defeated. You're "mutant henchmen" amonst other things were all made up by Dilios to serve his purpose of rallying up his men.

That said, the "mutant henchmen" were a great addition to the film. And made sense.

Heh, seems i'm the only one who didn't like the Elite soldiers turned into monster looking freaks. ^^; Each for their own, i guess. :)

I didn't like it either, if that helps. Then again I didn't like the movie in general, so...

The jury is still out for me on this one. I think it could be a big hit or another big miss.
Although I enjoyed both movies, I don't consider either 300 or Sin City as great movies. I think they were fantastic adaptations of great comics. To not give Miller some credit for the direction of the movies when both Rodriguez and Snyder said they used his graphic novels for the storyboards is foolish. Both movies go shot for panel with the graphic novel.
That being said, I agree that the Spirit sucked but when making the comparison to the prior two movie you have to try to be objective. 300 and Sin City had years of success prior to the movies being made. At the very least, fans of the comics would come out to see it. With the Spirit, it was a new story by Frank that people hadn't seen before. As we all agree it bombed but it also took a much bigger risk. When something is already successful, it has a better chance of continued success. You never know how well something new will be received. No matter what pedistal people want to put him on, he is only human and not everything will be as perfect as every fan wants it to be.

yeah... the last good thing Miller did was writing for superheroes (except the Spirit movie & DKSA)

:huh:

The film is told by Dilios to act as an inspiration to the rest of Sparta to rally them against the Persians. The whole thing is exaggerated on purpose. The "mutant henchmen" don't really exist as "mutant henchmen" but probably as large, fierce warriors. "Mutant Henchmen" show the Spartans the kind of "monsters" they're up against and why, amongst other things, Persia must be defeated. You're "mutant henchmen" amonst other things were all made up by Dilios to serve his purpose of rallying up his men.

That said, the "mutant henchmen" were a great addition to the film. And made sense.

It made sense that Hollywood added that. Because Hollywood is determined to plant in your weak minds that Persians are monsters and must be hated. No I'm not Persian. Or Muslim. Far from it.

I doubt you've even read the comic, but if you have be struck how Miller drew the characters. In some panels the Spartans almost look like they have dreads. They look mediterranean as they were, not western european. Although the history between the Greeks and Persians was acrimonious they also respected each other and it wasn't racial. Miller respected that.

The Greeks did not view the Persians as "monsters." You are the one with the weak mind that thinks that and you're projecting it. To the Greeks the Persians were the most advanced, most glorious and most intimidating civilization in the history of the world. In fact the idea that Greeks were even able to withstand the Persians dramatically changed how the Greeks viewed themselves and spurred the Golden Age in Greece and the Athenian Empire that yielding things like the Parthanon and the Delian League. So in addition to probably not even having read the graphic novel, you dont know anything about the history you're conjecturing about either. The only people who saw Xerxes the Great and his men as "monsters" is Hollywood. Miller knew enough to draw him as a sort of beautiful and terrible GOD to Leonidas, which is how the Greeks would have seen him.

It's ****ing lame how, Synder literally follows Miller's panels frame by frame, contrast by contrast yet since it's a Hollywood movie, they feel the need to insert this totally gratuitous politically-sanctioned racist snipe that Miller never had it in his work. So basically to Synder and the studio thing Miller's narrative is so tight that they MUST FOLLOW IT EXACTLY FRAME BY FRAME and not touch a thing... except for the flaw that it's not "racist enough" towards Persians when we're trying to demonize them in all media.

The reason why the Spartans resist the Persians is not because they're "monsters" but because Greeks are FREE MEN. You know? The whole birth of WESTERN DEMOCRACY thing? Are you posting from Communist China or Occupied Palestine? Because the entire point of the movie... being democracy and free will went over your head and all you can see are monsters.

But you're right about one thing. It makes sense that they added that. Par for the course in Hollywood.

Last edited:
Don't forget Snyder added the sex scenes and the "sexy" (yet ****ed up" persian women around Xerxes' tent.) NOONE of that in the comic.

Don't forget Snyder added the sex scenes and the "sexy" (yet ****ed up" persian women around Xerxes' tent.) NOONE of that in the comic.

Yea, because a sex scene completely pissed on the comic.:dry:

They we're pointless and i don't like movies with pointless sex scenes. It's actually one of the reasons i like TDK where Bruce and Rachel showed emotion by just doing a kiss. No need to see Batman ****ing anyone.

It made sense that Hollywood added that. Because Hollywood is determined to plant in your weak minds that Persians are monsters and must be hated. No I'm not Persian. Or Muslim. Far from it.

I doubt you've even read the comic, but if you have be struck how Miller drew the characters. In some panels the Spartans almost look like they have dreads. They look mediterranean as they were, not western european. Although the history between the Greeks and Persians was acrimonious they also respected each other and it wasn't racial. Miller respected that.

The Greeks did not view the Persians as "monsters." You are the one with the weak mind that thinks that and you're projecting it. To the Greeks the Persians were the most advanced, most glorious and most intimidating civilization in the history of the world. In fact the idea that Greeks were even able to withstand the Persians dramatically changed how the Greeks viewed themselves and spurred the Golden Age in Greece and the Athenian Empire that yielding things like the Parthanon and the Delian League. So in addition to probably not even having read the graphic novel, you dont know anything about the history you're conjecturing about either. The only people who saw Xerxes the Great and his men as "monsters" is Hollywood. Miller knew enough to draw him as a sort of beautiful and terrible GOD to Leonidas, which is how the Greeks would have seen him.

It's ****ing lame how, Synder literally follows Miller's panels frame by frame, contrast by contrast yet since it's a Hollywood movie, they feel the need to insert this totally gratuitous politically-sanctioned racist snipe that Miller never had it in his work. So basically to Synder and the studio thing Miller's narrative is so tight that they MUST FOLLOW IT EXACTLY FRAME BY FRAME and not touch a thing... except for the flaw that it's not "racist enough" towards Persians when we're trying to demonize them in all media.

The reason why the Spartans resist the Persians is not because they're "monsters" but because Greeks are FREE MEN. You know? The whole birth of WESTERN DEMOCRACY thing? Are you posting from Communist China or Occupied Palestine? Because the entire point of the movie... being democracy and free will went over your head and all you can see are monsters.

But you're right about one thing. It makes sense that they added that. Par for the course in Hollywood.

:dry:

Pull your head outta your ass, man.

I was talking about the context of the story in the damn movie. And it's PAINFULLY obvious to just about everyone that the film (and comic) aren't true to history. So what are you complaining about? Calling me a weak-minded communist racist?

I'm weak minded? Maybe you missed the part of the film where it's revealed that all those "monsters" are fabricated by Dilios in order to rally up his men? As i said, are they REALLY monsters? NO! In reality they were big soldiers who kicked alot of ass.

"The reason why the Spartans resist the Persians is not because they're "monsters" but because Greeks are FREE MEN."

This defeats your whole argument. The Greeks are freemen. They spent the entire movie fighting the Persians who wanted to take their freedom. So Dilios goes back to spin his yarn to rally his people up. Not to mention, i never said the Spartans are fighting the Persians because they're monsters.

It's the context of the ****ing film, man.

They we're pointless and i don't like movies with pointless sex scenes. It's actually one of the reasons i like TDK where Bruce and Rachel showed emotion by just doing a kiss. No need to see Batman ****ing anyone.

How was it pointless? A king is going to war, fully aware of the fact that he's probably going to die. It's his last night with his wife. They make love. Seems like there was a point to me. Was it not built up enough which made it perhaps seem pointless? Maybe. But there was a point, nonetheless.

There's no sex scene in the Dark Knight because not only would it not be allowed in a Batman film, but because the relationship between Rachel and Bruce wasn't on a level that called for them having sex to begin with.

The sex scene served no story value. You already get the emotional departure when Leonidas was leaving the city. Wasn't that enough? Then we get a pointless rape scene to show how evil the Persian-allied guy was and then finally we see Xerxes' tent with bunch of disfigured women.

What did they truly serve to the movie? Nothing for me atleast.

Eh TDK Sex Scene could have been done off-screen tho and referrenced! But still i just felt the kiss was just ten times more powerful than Bruce and Rachel having sex because "they couldnt wait for Bruce to quit Batman" but hey they just did a good kiss, that works!

The sex scene served no story value. You already get the emotional departure when Leonidas was leaving the city. Wasn't that enough? Then we get a pointless rape scene to show how evil the Persian-allied guy was and then finally we see Xerxes' tent with bunch of disfigured women.

What did they truly serve to the movie? Nothing for me atleast.

Eh TDK Sex Scene could have been done off-screen tho and referrenced! But still i just felt the kiss was just ten times more powerful than Bruce and Rachel having sex because "they couldnt wait for Bruce to quit Batman" but hey they just did a good kiss, that works!

Not everything needs to serve the story. It served the characters. The emotional departure only enhances what came before that, as established in the sex scene.

I'll give you the rape scene, though. That's not serving the story, and it's overkill on the character of the Persian allied guy. We get he's an evil villainous bastard, because he oozes it every time he's on screen. The emotion between Leonidas and his Queen though wasn't as established, and would have fell flat, to me at least, if they just showed the departure of Leonidas.

As for The Dark Knight, as i said, I don't think the relationship between Bruce and Rachel was ever at that level that called for them having sex. There was a sexual tension between them, but I don't think it could ever escalate into them having sex. But just imagine it, using your idea of it being off-screen. They kiss, and it immediately cuts to both of them in bed, Rachel smoking a cigarette and Bruce with a huge smile on his face! :woot:

Ah well i guess we can just come to the conclusion that you didn't mind the scenes but i prefer if they just weren't filmed. Overall i do love 300 and i barely ever get tired of it. It just has so great action and dem delicious men!

:dry:

Pull your head outta your ass, man.

I was talking about the context of the story in the damn movie. And it's PAINFULLY obvious to just about everyone that the film (and comic) aren't true to history. So what are you complaining about? Calling me a weak-minded communist racist?

I'm weak minded? Maybe you missed the part of the film where it's revealed that all those "monsters" are fabricated by Dilios in order to rally up his men? As i said, are they REALLY monsters? NO! In reality they were big soldiers who kicked alot of ass.

"The reason why the Spartans resist the Persians is not because they're "monsters" but because Greeks are FREE MEN."

This defeats your whole argument. The Greeks are freemen. They spent the entire movie fighting the Persians who wanted to take their freedom. So Dilios goes back to spin his yarn to rally his people up. Not to mention, i never said the Spartans are fighting the Persians because they're monsters.

It's the context of the ****ing film, man.

So in your mind, free men need stories of monsters and the demonization of their adversaries to fight for their freedom? Wow.

Sadly that explains a lot about what's going on in the world.

I never said the Spartans are fighting the Persians because they're monsters
"Mutant Henchmen" show the Spartans the kind of "monsters" they're up against and why, amongst other things, Persia must be defeated

:doh:

I'm not going to get into a name calling thing with you but 1)did you read the comic? 2)did you comprehend any of my post talking about how Synder followed the graphic novel frame by frame, except adding that (and a couple other gratuitous) elements?

300 by Frank Miller has been around for more than a decade and it doesn't have any of that stuff where Persians are monsters under their masks, and I've never heard one person say "man that book really didn't convince me of the Spartans' motivations." In other words it's something unnecessary in the CONTExT OF THE FILM as you say in terms of explaining why the Spartans fight.

Now there's only 2 reasons why Synder would that one of the only specific changes he made in the film from the book:

1) He honestly believes that Americans are so stupid that they wouldn't comprehend the concept of FREE MEN fighting for the principle of freedom... so he has to include "evil" scary MONSTERS (who just "happen" to be Middle Eastern) so the film makes sense to the average IQ American
2) Stereotyping and demonizing people is political trope, par for the course in Hollywood to take snipes at groups that aren't part of "their" group, whether or not it advances the story.

I was convinced that it was #2 but after hearing you post about how the men had to be told stories about "monsters" in order to movtivate them to fight, I almost think #1 is legitimate as well.

So, anyway... Let's get this thread back on track.

I think Frank Miller likes men.

Miller loves strong men and women characters. ;)

CBR news!

epn6s5.jpg

"They Were 300. He was one."

At times, being a fan of Frank Miller can seem like the world's craziest guessing game. From his long-gestating superhero war on terror graphic novel to potential future volumes of the iconic "Sin City" series, the acclaimed cartoonist has a catalog of potential works in the wings. Today, the first to see the light of day was confirmed as Dark Horse announced via its Twitter page that they'll be releasing a "Xerxes" lithograph this October.
A prequel to the comic-turned-blockbuster film "300," "Xerxes" looks to tell the story of the Persian king with the tagline "They Were 300. He was one." Reached for comment on the official release of the comic itself, a spokesperson for Dark Horse said at this point no release date could be revealed, but the book will likely ship in 2011.
The 24" X 36" lithograph, drawn by Miller and colored by Dave Stewart, comes in two forms on the Dark Horse site – a $25 regular edition and a $100 limited edition signed by the artist and kept to 100 copies.
Discussed since the success of director Zack Snyder's adaptation of "300," the project now called "Xerxes" has been casually referenced as going straight to film from Miller's comic, although it's more likely that development will take some time once Dark Horse releases the actual volume.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/06/xerxes-300-frank-miller-300-zack-snyder-300.html

"The story will be the same heft as '300' but it cover a much, much greater span of time -- it's 10 years, not three days," Miller said. "This is a more complex story. The story is so much larger. The Spartans in '300' were being enclosed by the page as the world got smaller. This story has truly vast subjects. The Athenian naval fleet, for instance, is a massive artistic undertaking and it dwarfed by the Persian fleet, which is also shown in this story. The story has elements of espionage, too, and it's a sweeping tale with gods and warriors."

As for the title of the new tale, Miller is aware that his choice will be seen as willfully provocative -- the portrayal of Xerxes in "300" was deeply offensive in Iran, where the ruler is viewed as part of a noble era in Persian history.
"Yes, I suppose it will be seen as provocative, but really to me he is such a pivotal character and in this story I get to explain him so much more fully," Miller said. "I do my best to crawl inside his head rather than have him be this iconic force that simply commands this huge army. There are many scenes with him alone or just with his people. There's an extended scene set in Persepolis, for instance, where he takes power and there are several scenes where he is going through his transitions and he's shown speaking to his mother and his wife and with all of that he becomes that much more interesting as a character."
Xerxes may be the title character, but once again a Greek warrior is the protagonist, Miller said.

54053004.jpg
Hero Complex

For your inner fanboy

« Previous Post | Hero Complex Home | Next Post »
Frank Miller returns to the '300' battlefield with 'Xerxes': 'I make no apologies whatsoever'

June 1, 2010 | 6:02 am
EXCLUSIVE
This is a longer version of my Calendar cover story on Wednesday in the Los Angeles Times.
Frank Miller and the filmmakers behind "300" are looking for a return to the battlefields of antiquity -- and, no doubt, to the arenas of pop-culture controversy.
Three years ago, the sword-and-sandal adventure "300" became a surprise sensation with moviegoers -- it set box-office records for a March release and became the highest-grossing R-rated film of 2007 -- and delivered career breakthroughs for actor Gerard Butler and director Zack Snyder. But the movie, which was based on the comic books written and drawn by Miller, also triggered an unlikely international incident with its portrayal of the Persian leader Xerxes the bloody Battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C.
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad bitterly denounced the film and the Iranian Academy of the Arts filed a formal complaint through the United Nations that framed the movie as nothing less than an attack on the historical identity of a nation -- especially with its portrayal of Xerxes (portrayed by Brazilian actor Rodrigo Santoro) as leering and androgynous and the Persian army as a demonic horde.
Those foes and critics of "300" will not be enthused to hear that Tuesday, Miller released the first artwork from his upcoming book -- a "300" prequel entitled "Xerxes." More than that, Snyder and "300" producer Thomas Tull have seen some of Miller's completed pages and plan to pursue it as a feature film if the finished tale lives up to their hopes.
"If the book is awesome and compelling," Snyder said Monday, "then, yes, we're interested."
Miller said his "Xerxes" will be a six-part tale with each installment released in individual comic book issues beginning next year. The publisher will be Dark Horse Comics, which published Miller's "300" as a five-issue mini-series in 1998 and which has notable Hollywood success with other properties such as "Hellboy" and "The Mask."
"The story will be the same heft as '300' but it cover a much, much greater span of time -- it's 10 years, not three days," Miller said. "This is a more complex story. The story is so much larger. The Spartans in '300' were being enclosed by the page as the world got smaller. This story has truly vast subjects. The Athenian naval fleet, for instance, is a massive artistic undertaking and it dwarfed by the Persian fleet, which is also shown in this story. The story has elements of espionage, too, and it's a sweeping tale with gods and warriors."

The action may take place in the distant past, but as "300" the film showed, any tale that pits the West against a Middle East culture is closely inspected these days for contemporary political messaging. That was especially the case for "300," which an Iranian government spokesman described a cultural slur of the highest order.
"Not only would no nation or government accept this ... but it would also consider it as hostile behavior, which is the result of cultural and psychological warfare," Tehran official Gholamhossein Elham said in March 2007. While Tehran officials framed the film as a primer to stir the American populace for war, many cultural critics here in the States saw "300" as the cinematic equivalent of the World Wrestling Federation. In The New Yorker, for instance, David Denby wrote: "Everyone screams at everyone, and specialized Persian warriors wearing masks and other freakish regalia turn up to do battle. Pop has always drawn energy from the lower floors of respectability; this movie, in which fan-boy cultism reaches new levels of goofy chaos and sexual confusion, draws energy from the subbasement."
The Persians were presented as ruthless but consistently out-wittted, and their leader Xerxes was made to looked like a heavily pierced, decadent Dennis Rodman lookalike, while the Spartans were portrayed primarily as honorable, duty-bound and robust of spirit and body.

As for the title of the new tale, Miller is aware that his choice will be seen as willfully provocative -- the portrayal of Xerxes in "300" was deeply offensive in Iran, where the ruler is viewed as part of a noble era in Persian history.
"Yes, I suppose it will be seen as provocative, but really to me he is such a pivotal character and in this story I get to explain him so much more fully," Miller said. "I do my best to crawl inside his head rather than have him be this iconic force that simply commands this huge army. There are many scenes with him alone or just with his people. There's an extended scene set in Persepolis, for instance, where he takes power and there are several scenes where he is going through his transitions and he's shown speaking to his mother and his wife and with all of that he becomes that much more interesting as a character."
Xerxes may be the title character, but once again a Greek warrior is the protagonist, Miller said.

"The time frame begins 10 years before '300' and the story starts with the Battle of Marathon, which was killer to draw, by the way, even if it was a lot of work," Miller said. "The lead character is Themistocles, who became warlord of Greece and built their navy. The story is very different than '300' in that it involves Xerxes search for godhood. The existence of gods are presupposed in this story and the idea is that he well on his way to godhood by the end of the story."
Miller added: "With Themistocles I have a character who is almost the dead opposite of Leonidas in that Themistocles was a lying, conniving, brilliant, heroic figure. He was nicknamed 'The Subtle Serpent' and he always manages to do the exact right things that will result in him benefiting greatly."

With 'Xerxes,' the point of view shifts to the Athenians -- and Spartans are in fact mocked often throughout the course of the story, Miller says. With the new vantage point and a wider, deeper portrait of Xerxes, might Miller be apologizing for his earlier actions in the cultural warfare? "That's nonsense. This is a very different story but when it comes to '300' I make no apologies whatsoever."
Miller said two other characters from "300" make appearances in "Xerxes": Ephialtes, the Spartan traitor, plays a part in the tale and there is "a brief appearance by Leonidis," the Spartan king memorably portrayed by Butler on-screen. ("Leonidis," Miller says, "has a brief but spirited debate with Themistocles.") The new tale climaxes with a massive naval confrontation that is so dense that it is fought like a land war and it ends on the same day as the events of "300."
"There is an aftermath that is like an extension of '300' because '300' ended so abruptly with all of them getting mowed down by arrows. I do get into what happened after that and what the entire thing means to Xerxes. Xerxes is a megalomaniac and takes everything as a sign of his godhood. I've known people like that."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"