General PC Discussion

Any particular game genres you’ll be building towards? Look forward to seeing what you come up with. :cwink:
Basically single player FPS, RPGs, action-adventure games, and maybe even dipping into a little VR. I'm really looking forward to finally playing Half-Life: Alyx.

Basically single player FPS, RPGs, action-adventure games, and maybe even dipping into a little VR. I'm really looking forward to finally playing Half-Life: Alyx.
Very nice. I didn’t do mine myself, have a gamer friend who works in IT put it all together and I also focused on RPG and action adventure, while also going for 3PS and fighting games. I imagine VR involves a bit extra. I haven’t had any experience of modern VR at all but hear Alyx is excellent.

Very nice. I didn’t do mine myself, have a gamer friend who works in IT put it all together and I also focused on RPG and action adventure, while also going for 3PS and fighting games. I imagine VR involves a bit extra. I haven’t had any experience of modern VR at all but hear Alyx is excellent.
Oh, I will have my local computer shop build mine. I don't trust myself and like the warranty of a professional build.

Oh, I will have my local computer shop build mine. I don't trust myself and like the warranty of a professional build.
Good thinking :up:

Any idea what card you might be going for?

Yeah, the next PC rig I'm building in the near future will be toward the high-end stuff. Maybe not "RTX 4090 high end" but closer to "4080/4080 Ti high end". :hehe:

My next build will also aim for VR and streaming (Parsec). I'll have to shop for a good headset, eventually.

Wow, AoM is getting a remaster? Damn, we're having an RTS revival and I love it. :D

Now we just need EA to kickstart a new C&C and Blizzard can work on a new WarCraft and StarCraft under the Microsoft banner in a few years...

Yeah, the next PC rig I'm building in the near future will be toward the high-end stuff. Maybe not "RTX 4090 high end" but closer to "4080/4080 Ti high end". :hehe:

My next build will also aim for VR and streaming (Parsec). I'll have to shop for a good headset, eventually.

Wow, AoM is getting a remaster? Damn, we're having an RTS revival and I love it. :D

Now we just need EA to kickstart a new C&C and Blizzard can work on a new WarCraft and StarCraft under the Microsoft banner in a few years...
Awesome! What’s the price difference between the 4090 and the others?

Hmm, so VR is really becoming a thing if people are finally adopting. I need to try something out to see how far the tech has advanced.

Yes, I am a big RTS fan so it’s great! And C&C so one of my favourites! Was so pissed off when EA closed Westwood.

Awesome! What’s the price difference between the 4090 and the others?
MSRP for the 4090 is 1600 USD while the 4080 is 900 USD (12 GB) and 1200 USD (16 GB). The 4080 Ti hasn't been announced yet, however.

By the way, the 4090 from Asus is huge! Compared to a PS5:

Hmm, so VR is really becoming a thing if people are finally adopting. I need to try something out to see how far the tech has advanced.
I'm mostly interested in VR for AAA games like HL: Alyx and whatever Sony puts out in the near future including that Horizon VR game (if they get ported). I may even try some first-person horror games but the other times I'll just let my nephews and nieces play. :funny:

MSRP for the 4090 is 1600 USD while the 4080 is 900 USD (12 GB) and 1200 USD (16 GB). The 4080 Ti hasn't been announced yet, however.

By the way, the 4090 from Asus is huge! Compared to a PS5:

I'm mostly interested in VR for AAA games like HL: Alyx and whatever Sony puts out in the near future including that Horizon VR game (if they get ported). I may even try some first-person horror games but the other times I'll just let my nephews and nieces play. :funny:

Thanks. I bought at the wrong time just before the better value cards came out and I’ve been too busy to use it much. Still the rest of the pc specs were good for working from home. Once I’m free and using the pc regularly for gaming I will see how go with my current card and think about refreshing, but probably plan to stay slightly behind from now on and upgrade more regularly.

Horizon VR sounds fun. Horror games VR not so much. :D

Thanks. I bought at the wrong time just before the better value cards came out and I’ve been too busy to use it much. Still the rest of the pc specs were good for working from home. Once I’m free and using the pc regularly for gaming I will see how go with my current card and think about refreshing, but probably plan to stay slightly behind from now on and upgrade more regularly.
Don't you have a 2080 Ti, if I remember correctly? If so, you're still good. With DLSS, you should be able to run today's games and even some in the near future with little to no issues, especially at 1080p/1440p.

I have a GTX 1070, which doesn't support DLSS, and I'm still fine at 1440p. Sure, I may not be able to run CP2077 with all bells and whistles including ray-tracing goodness, but unless you're a graphics w***e like DK, it doesn't matter. Yes, what I just said sounds blasphemous for a PC player... :hehe:

I'm going through my backlog which includes mostly games released about 5 years ago so that helps not melt my old GPU haha.

Nvidia 5000 Series GPU Rumored To Offer Biggest Performance Leap In History

@DKDetective Did you pull the trigger yet? Looking like a big leap coming in cards.

Thanks, I'm building something for my 35th birthday in March. To be honest, I don't care how big of an advance the 5000 series is, I'm going ahead with a 4090 build. I'm not waiting any longer to play Alyx!!! :rant:

In any event, it seems like massive performance jumps are the name of the game right now. The 3000 was a big jump forward from the 2000 and the 4000 a big jump from the 3000.

Thanks, I'm building something for my 35th birthday in March. To be honest, I don't care how big of an advance the 5000 series is, I'm going ahead with a 4090 build. I'm not waiting any longer to play Alyx!!! :rant:

In any event, it seems like massive performance jumps are the name of the game right now. The 3000 was a big jump forward from the 2000 and the 4000 a big jump from the 3000.
Cool, just in case. :cwink:

And nice, March isn’t far away at all. Look forward to seeing what you end up with.

Cool, just in case. :cwink:

And nice, March isn’t far away at all. Look forward to seeing what you end up with.
Yeah, I also checked its release date, NVIDIA is moving to a two year cycle, so no RTX 5000 series until Fall 2024. The longer cycle explains the bigger jump.

Yeah, I also checked its release date, NVIDIA is moving to a two year cycle, so no RTX 5000 series until Fall 2024. The longer cycle explains the bigger jump.
Good to know. I prefer a 2 year cycle with substantial improvements. I want to get a good bit of use out of my current card before I upgrade as I’ve been too busy to play much at all since I got it. Things should get much freer for (long term) me as 2023 progresses and I will gradually transition back to full time gaming like I was in 2009-2013. :D

I’ve been talking of getting finally free for years but it’s looking realistic now and full time gaming will justify a top end card again and the best at the time should be a massive jump from my current card. Can’t wait for that time. :O

Hope your birthday goes well and that your build delivers on/smashes your expectations!

Don't you have a 2080 Ti, if I remember correctly? If so, you're still good. With DLSS, you should be able to run today's games and even some in the near future with little to no issues, especially at 1080p/1440p.

I have a GTX 1070, which doesn't support DLSS, and I'm still fine at 1440p. Sure, I may not be able to run CP2077 with all bells and whistles including ray-tracing goodness, but unless you're a graphics w***e like DK, it doesn't matter. Yes, what I just said sounds blasphemous for a PC player... :hehe:

I'm going through my backlog which includes mostly games released about 5 years ago so that helps not melt my old GPU haha.
I'm actually shocked how long my GTX 1080 has held up. I've never run a system this long before without a single upgrade. By the time, I do a new build in the spring, it will have been 6 years. The recent glut of PS4/5 titles coming to PC has really helped tide me over until Spring as I can run them all on max settings at 1440p without issues. I do not see myself upgrading to a 4k monitor for a long, long time. For work purposes, 1440p at 32 inches is a really nice size for documents, icons, menus, etc. I think I would only go 4K if I could find a really solid G-Sync monitor in the 40 inch range with strong colours/contrast, etc.

EDIT: Oh no, why did I look on Canada Computers. It seems Asus and Gigabyte do have some very solid 4K 43" inch G-Sync monitors... Guess I have to add a new monitor to my build now. :funny:

Last edited:
So @Iceman and @Gee, I did it and pulled the trigger today. It's on the bench at my local Canada Computers and I should have her in a couple days:

Intel i9 13900KF
Corsair H150i Elite
MSI MPG Z790 Carbon
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ
MSI RTX 4090
WD Black 4TB SSD
WD Black 4TB HDD
Creative Soundblaster Z SE
Corsair RM1200x Shift
Corsair 5000D case
Gigabyte Aorus FV43U 43"

Also ordered me a Valve Index. :D

So @Iceman and @Gee, I did it and pulled the trigger today. It's on the bench at my local Canada Computers and I should have her in a couple days:

Intel i9 13900KF
Corsair H150i Elite
MSI MPG Z790 Carbon
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ
MSI RTX 4090
WD Black 4TB SSD
WD Black 4TB HDD
Creative Soundblaster Z SE
Corsair RM1200x Shift
Corsair 5000D case
Gigabyte Aorus FV43U 43"

Also ordered me a Valve Index. :D
Wow, what a beast!! :funny: :cool:

Congrats, you’re going to have an awesome time with that. :up::cwink:

Any idea on what are some good new-ish FPS type games to put this thing through its paces?
Sweet rig, man. :word: Since you're now with a 4K monitor, and you have CP2077 installed, I reckon that's one game to push your rig to its limit especially with the Psycho settings.

I'd also highly recommend Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition. That's probably the game with the most effective use of ray tracing I've seen so far (from YouTube reviews that is). In the same vein, STALKER 2 should come out later this year.

Atomic Heart just released. However, it's developed by a Russian studio and apparently there are some pro-Russia imagery in the game...

Scorn, while not a full-blown shooter, does have some great visuals.

The System Shock remake should come out next month. There's a demo if you haven't tried it yet.

Finally, I see that you have some of the Arkane games but no Prey (2017) installed. Get to it ASAP!

Sweet rig, man. :word: Since you're now with a 4K monitor, and you have CP2077 installed, I reckon that's one game to push your rig to its limit especially with the Psycho settings.

I'd also highly recommend Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition. That's probably the game with the most effective use of ray tracing I've seen so far (from YouTube reviews that is). In the same vein, STALKER 2 should come out later this year.

Atomic Heart just released. However, it's developed by a Russian studio and apparently there are some pro-Russia imagery in the game...

Scorn, while not a full-blown shooter, does have some great visuals.

The System Shock remake should come out next month. There's a demo if you haven't tried it yet.

Finally, I see that you have some of the Arkane games but no Prey (2017) installed. Get to it ASAP!

Thanks! That was just what I had downloaded at the time of the photo. I'll post my desktop when I have everything installed.

I just checked out CP2077 on Psycho and it is gorgeous. STALKER 2 will definitely be one to check out, same with the System Shock remake.

Prey never captured my interest. I'm not a big fan of horror games, so that turned me off. And it got pretty mixed reviews. I did love the original Prey and it bugs me that Bethesda just made Arkane slap the name on this game for just the IP recognition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"