The Rise of Skywalker General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I think TLJ will consume star wars conversations for the next decade at least. Everything that happens in Ep 9 will be compared to TLJ. TLJ will be blamed for bad or disappointing outcomes in 9. Developments in 9 will draw out TLJ discussions. If Rey's parents arent nobodies people will use that to validate their feelings toward TLJ and Rian. And its impossible for any star wars story or video to be posted online without some trolls coming in and ****ting all over TLJ and Rian in an obnoxious way. And there are those that want to climb on a soap box and proclaim the death of the star wars brand because of TLJ. Those...people arent going away.

The problem is that neither side, love or hate it, can seem to let it go with regards to discussing 9.

To be fair , i've seen it happen everywhere online including by geek pundits when discussing 9. People who love or hate TLJ always bring it up, either in praise or scorn, when discussing what could potentially happen in 9.

They both want 9 to reaffirm their opinions with regards to TLJ and to prove that " they're right" . One side wants nine to basically repudiate TLJ choices, and the other side wants it to sustain and embrace TLJ's choices.

So discussing 9 basically devolves into another discussion about TLJ.

I see 9 as much more of a clean slate in alot of ways without being a film which has to labor over the events of TLJ, but alot of other fans can't get to that point because they feel the need to still defend TLJ, or to bash it when discussing 9.

What I've never really understood is why the doom and gloom is so pervasive amongst TLJ haters. Why some of them insist on boycotting Episode 9 and acting as of all hope is lost.

The way I see it, the only real "damage" TLJ did was having Luke pass on. Luke fans that wanted him to be a corporeal human no longer have that. But aside from that what did TLJ do that leaves our characters and the story worse off? Rey has the Jedi texts and will presumably study them and will be a Jedi in Episode 9. Shes learned that Ben isn't wanting redemption so that's thabkfully out of the way. Poe has learned and will be a wiser general in Episode 9. Abrams is unlikely to go through the TLJ arc again. Finn is pretty much in the same place he's always been and can only move forward under Abram's direction. Leia survived TLJ and we know she will appear in Episode 9 in some capacity. Kylo is Supreme Leader and was as I see it better under Abram's direction. Snoke is out of the way. We now know Yoda could appear in Episode 9. The Rebellion is reborn and TLJ ends with the hope it will grow in size and strength. And the very last shot of the film is a reaffirmation that the Jedi are returning and the Force is still manifesting in people.

So aside from Luke, it's all looking pretty good to me and can only go up from here. I'm even hopeful about Luke because they can apparently control the physical world and wield power. So why the doom and gloom attitude?

^ Agreed with that. TLJ didn't "ruin" anything in particular. Anything can happen with Luke, everyone else is fine. Snoke is dead but you have to be a character before you can be a wasted one.

I've been on the pessimistic side before though, so I understand the glumness even if I don't share it. I hope 9 makes everyone happy.

The problem is that neither side, love or hate it, can seem to let it go with regards to discussing 9.

To be fair , i've seen it happen everywhere online including by geek pundits when discussing 9. People who love or hate TLJ always bring it up, either in praise or scorn, when discussing what could potentially happen in 9.

They both want 9 to reaffirm their opinions with regards to TLJ and to prove that " they're right" . One side wants nine to basically repudiate TLJ choices, and the other side wants it to sustain and embrace TLJ's choices.

So discussing 9 basically devolves into another discussion about TLJ.

I see 9 as much more of a clean slate in alot of ways without being a film which has to labor over the events of TLJ, but alot of other fans can't get to that point because they feel the need to still defend TLJ, or to bash it when discussing 9.

Well to be fair, a huge chunk of sequel chatter will be about the preceding entry in any situation. TLJ is just more divisive than the average film, and Star Wars is near religion-level in its cultural importance.

I'm trying not to speculate too much on 9. Expectations have not served me well in this franchise. I just watched TLJ again though, the first time since the episode 9 cast announcement, and there was a tremendous relief knowing our princess will see out this trilogy. I'm really grateful for that.

Last edited:
What I've never really understood is why the doom and gloom is so pervasive amongst TLJ haters. Why some of them insist on boycotting Episode 9 and acting as of all hope is lost.

The way I see it, the only real "damage" TLJ did was having Luke pass on. Luke fans that wanted him to be a corporeal human no longer have that. But aside from that what did TLJ do that leaves our characters and the story worse off? Rey has the Jedi texts and will presumably study them and will be a Jedi in Episode 9. Shes learned that Ben isn't wanting redemption so that's thabkfully out of the way. Poe has learned and will be a wiser general in Episode 9. Abrams is unlikely to go through the TLJ arc again. Finn is pretty much in the same place he's always been and can only move forward under Abram's direction. Leia survived TLJ and we know she will appear in Episode 9 in some capacity. Kylo is Supreme Leader and was as I see it better under Abram's direction. Snoke is out of the way. We now know Yoda could appear in Episode 9. The Rebellion is reborn and TLJ ends with the hope it will grow in size and strength. And the very last shot of the film is a reaffirmation that the Jedi are returning and the Force is still manifesting in people.

So aside from Luke, it's all looking pretty good to me and can only go up from here. I'm even hopeful about Luke because they can apparently control the physical world and wield power. So why the doom and gloom attitude?

The biggest issue is there's nothing to look forward to. Every Star Wars trilogy has had a clear end point, something to build up towards. But TLJ essentially finished off every story thread leaving no clear indication towards what happens next. Worst off all, the new characters haven't done enough to win people over. There's basically no hook for Episode 9 for a lot of people, myself included. That feeling people had when they walked out of The Dark Knight or Infinity War doesn't exist for a lot of people here. I know it's easy say people should be excited because 9 is a blank slate, but that's not what a lot of people wanted. They wanted an overarching story that's building up to something, with the final piece being the most anticiapted. They want a proper journey and this trilogy is anything but. There's been no plan from day one about the direction this is going and it shows.

TLJ didnt wrap everything up tho. The First Order is the reigning government power at the end of TLJ. The Rebellion is still on the run. Kylo is supreme leader which is entirely new for a character in his position in Star Wars. Rey is going to train and has to give the new Order a foundation with some help from Luke, hopefully. Future Jedi are popping up across the galaxy and have to find their way to the Rebellion and Rey. The New Republic is still in shreds. Finn is still one of the most wanted criminals in the galaxy as far as the First Order concerned. Even Hux is still alive.

How is that finishing off the story?

Last edited:
Have yall read anything about this supposed leak:

Most fans agree that the Knights were glimpsed in that dramatic vision where Rey witnessed Kylo and his soldiers butchering other fighters in the pouring rain.

The Knights of Ren never materialised in Episode 8 but there are mounting reporst of a new group of six actors who have been rehearsing fight scenes.

The latest report said: "A shoot is set for the first week of October for one of the Cardington Sheds. Adam Driver will be involved with the group of actors aged from 21 to 27. These actors have been training with spears and axes the past month for the shoot. Tons of stunts have been coordinated and there will be some small explosions in front of a large green screen.These actors will be interacting with some extras that have martial arts experience."
The Cardington Sheds have been used before for Star Wars scenes, most famously those set on the Yavin IV rebel base.

The report added: “I think these are most definitely the Knights of Ren.”

There was another plot leak back in May that Kylo Ren and his Knights of Ren will be “hunting down Force sensitives.”

Suddenly this throws that iconic Forceback vision from The Force Awakens into a whole new light. Did Rey see a vision of the future, not the past? Did she see Kylo hunting down new Force sensitives as the Force start to manifest across the galaxy?

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...of-Ren-scene-release-date-plot-Episode-IX/amp

Grain of salt and all that... personally I'd love for this to be true because itd turn that small scene in TFA on its head. Plus...

It would line up with what Kylo told Luke in TLJ, "I'll destroy her. Ill destroy all of it." to which Luke responded that he wouldn't be the last jedi. Well, maybe Kylo decided, "Challenge accepted." and went on a hunt to find anyone showing the slightest hint of Force ability.

To add to that, Rey said Luke had peace and a purpose before he faded. Maybe his purpose was to join the Force so he could help Rey find and protect the Force sensitive people. One Jedi wouldn't be able to search the whole galaxy for the Force sensitive people and find them before Kylo and his First Order could find them. But a Force Ghost outside of space and time...he might be able to find them all and point Rey towards them.

TLJ didnt wrap everything up tho. The First Order is the reigning government power at the end of TLJ. The Rebellion is still on the run. Kylo is supreme leader which is entirely new for a character in his position in Star Wars. Rey is going to train and has to give the new Order a foundation with some help from Luke, hopefully. Future Jedi are popping up across the galaxy and have to find their way to the Rebellion and Rey. The New Republic is still in shreds. Finn is still one of the most wanted criminals in the galaxy as far as the First Order concerned. Even Hux is still alive.

How is that finishing off the story?

Ask yourself this question, what needs continuing after TLJ?

Ask yourself this question, what needs continuing after TLJ?

I told you in my previous post:

The First Order is still the reigning government power at the end of TLJ. The Rebellion is on the run and needs to rebuild. Kylo is Supreme Leader of the First Order which is entirely new for a character in his position in Star Wars. Rey is going to train with the Jedi texts and has to give the new Order a steady safe foundation, with some help from Luke, hopefully. Future Jedi are popping up across the galaxy and have to find their way to the Rebellion and Rey. The New Republic is still in shreds. Finn is still one of the most wanted criminals in the galaxy as far as the First Order concerned. Even Hux is still alive.

None of the main characters nor any of the Force sensitives of the galaxy will be safe as long as Kylo and his First Order are ruling the galaxy.

And there is the little hint from Rey when she told Leia that she sensed "peace and purpose" from Luke when he disappeared. TLJ didnt tell us what that purpose was or what Luke is hoping to achieve.

All of that needs to be resolved.

Just like ROTJ needed to resolve the Empire being in power, Vader still being Sidious's apprentice and the revelation that Vader was Luke's father, why Obi and Yoda lied, the completion of Luke's training, Han and Leis's relationship, Han being frozen in carbonite and a prisoner of Jabba.

Saying nothing needs to continue after TLJ is as absurd as saying ESB wrapped up the OT.

Let me rephrase the question then. What momentum is left from an audience perspective? Rey has already beaten Kylo twice, so there's no build up there to that battle. The Resistance has become the Rebel Alliance 2.0, so we're just covering the same territory as before with that. The First Order are doomed to lose, so again nothing we haven't seen before. There's no emotional attachment to these alleged future Jedi. And Hux, well he's a ****ing joke of a character that no-one takes seriously as a threat. What is the big culminating event promised at the end of TLJ? What is left for the audience to make them want to see episode 9?

Rey has not beaten Kylo twice. They mostly fought together in TLJ, and then had a force power struggle that ended in a stalemate.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Supreme Leader Kylo and what the First Order/Empire looks like under his control. That is going to be very interesting and there's so much meat there for Adam Driver to chew on.

I still think arguing over whether audiences will think Episode IX will be worth seeing is kind of pointless atm. If the trailers have a good hook, people will want to see it. It's as simple as that. This is going to be sold as the conclusion to the whole saga, so that inherently implies there is something especially important about this chapter. I've already stated the many things I'm looking forward to Episode IX, so I'm not going to rehash all of them, but to suffice it to say I think there's an abundance of fertile story ground and I don't think it's at all a bad thing that the previous film didn't tip its hand at specifically which direction it's going. The uncertainty is part of the fun.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase the question then. What momentum is left from an audience perspective? Rey has already beaten Kylo twice, so there's no build up there to that battle. The Resistance has become the Rebel Alliance 2.0, so we're just covering the same territory as before with that. The First Order are doomed to lose, so again nothing we haven't seen before. There's no emotional attachment to these alleged future Jedi. And Hux, well he's a ****ing joke of a character that no-one takes seriously as a threat. What is the big culminating event promised at the end of TLJ? What is left for the audience to make them want to see episode 9?

Agree with a lot of this. And sorry but Rey becoming a Jedi master off screen by reading the texts is very uninspired, but TLJ left them in that position rather than actually giving Rey some proper Jedi training.

I was looking forward to so much after TFA, after TLJ I can't think of anything I am excited for. However, I hope JJ can surprise me in that regard. And I am glad it's him directing rather than Johnson.

I would have actually preferred a new director, not JJ or Johnson returning.

Let me rephrase the question then. What momentum is left from an audience perspective?

-Rey has already beaten Kylo twice, so there's no build up there to that battle.
-The Resistance has become the Rebel Alliance 2.0, so we're just covering the same territory as before with that.
-The First Order are doomed to lose, so again nothing we haven't seen before.
-There's no emotional attachment to these alleged future Jedi.
-And Hux, well he's a ****ing joke of a character that no-one takes seriously as a threat.
-What is the big culminating event promised at the end of TLJ? What is left for the audience to make them want to see episode 9?
-Rey pulled a sucker punch on a wounded Kylo in 7, and didn't "win" in 8. They shared some weird bonding moments in 8 before settling in to their roles as opposing forces. Rey will be well into her journey in 9, and Kylo is now an unstable ruler of the galaxy. I can't wait to see their next confrontation.
-The Resistance is screwed right now, total under-dogs. It'll be interesting to see how they recover from the losses suffered, what allies they might gain, and ultimately how they manage to topple the First Order.
-The First Order is under new leadership. Looking forward to see Kylo as a potential ruler. We've never had someone so unstable at the top of the pile, it's like an elseworlds tale where Anakin was in charge, but with a better actor. Of course they are doomed to lose. It's a Star Wars movie. Looking forward to the "how".
-We haven't met the new Jedi yet, but new potential Jedi is always exciting.
-Hux is a weasel. I hope his dynamic with Kylo is explored further, and I'm sure everyone wants some justice served.
-I'm not sure what event you required. ESB didn't tease a second Death Star.

Agree with a lot of this. And sorry but Rey becoming a Jedi master off screen by reading the texts is very uninspired, but TLJ left them in that position rather than actually giving Rey some proper Jedi training.

I was disappointed when Luke's progress was skipped over between 5 and 6, and disappointed that Anakin's training occurred between 1 and 2. With Rey I'm actually less concerned because it's consistent for her to get by on pluck. She's gonna be a DIY Jedi I imagine.

Last edited:
I would have actually preferred a new director, not JJ or Johnson returning.

I am not even a huge JJ fan, but after not liking a lot of what Johnson did, I am glad it's not him and JJ always makes good (if not particularly spectacular) movies.

I am not even a huge JJ fan, but after not liking a lot for what Johnson did, I am glad it's not him and JJ always makes good (if not particularly spectacular) movies.

Once again, for me TFA was just fine. It wasn't amazing. I know TLJ is divisive. But for me personally, going in expecting another TFA is not all that appealing. I loved TLJ, but even assuming I didn't love it, I want all Star Wars films to be great. Not merely fine. I would like to have seen another director try their hand at Episode IX, personally. I sort of liked the idea of a trilogy directed by 3 different people all getting to make it their own.

All for a new director, but I much prefer JJ to Trevorrow.

I've only seen 1 movie he made, LOL! But yeah, I want a Star Wars film to be better than Jurassic World. But again, JJ is like McDonalds to me. It's fine, it gets the job done. But I don't get excited for it. With Star Wars, I am looking for something more like Five Guys, so being presented McDonalds again is meh

I hope JJ learns from the missteps he took with TFA and does something new with IX. He cannot get away with doing another Death Star again.

Once again, for me TFA was just fine. It wasn't amazing. I know TLJ is divisive. But for me personally, going in expecting another TFA is not all that appealing. I loved TLJ, but even assuming I didn't love it, I want all Star Wars films to be great. Not merely fine. I would like to have seen another director try their hand at Episode IX, personally. I sort of liked the idea of a trilogy directed by 3 different people all getting to make it their own.

Well for me TFA was great and Abrams best movie to date. As you know, TLJ disappointed me greatly and as a movie was far from great for me, so if JJ can get us back to TFA levels, or better, I will be a happy man fan.

Rey has already beaten Kylo twice, so there's no build up there to that battle.

And yet Kylo is the one ruling the galaxy. It's almost as though twirly laser sword fights aren't the answer...

I've only seen 1 movie he made, LOL! But yeah, I want a Star Wars film to be better than Jurassic World. But again, JJ is like McDonalds to me. It's fine, it gets the job done. But I don't get excited for it. With Star Wars, I am looking for something more like Five Guys, so being presented McDonalds again is meh

I'm going with a pizza analogy. You want the pizza old papa George used to make before he went all weird with too much cheese. JJ is like Domino's, tastes pretty nice but you there's no nutrition and you'll have most of it reheated. You could try that quirky Johnston's pizza but it'll have a bunch of crap on it you don't recognize. Ultimately they are all better than a kebab shop Trevorrow pizza that will destroy your colon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"