GI JOE: Renegades, new series set to premiere on The Hub on 10.10.10

I like it so far. I don't like the character designs, but the animation is good for the most part. I hope they don't sweep aside Scarlett/Snake Eyes.

Voice acting is good but I hated Ripcord and I hope he stays dead. I don't need all these cute little explanations for why the guys are called what they are. It was rather cheesy they made Ripcord the nicknaming guy. Guys in the armed services get a call sign or nickname for a reason but they made it way too cute and cheesy here.

Snake Eyes looks really cool on the show. I like that the plot turns the concept on its head and the Joe team are now rogue agents fighting to clear their names and expose Cobra. The problem is that they went with the movie/new IDW comic series look for Cobra Commander. Charlie Adler is a great voice for CC, but the look is disappointing.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I might keep checking this out.

I just wish it was in HD on Directv. :\

I like it so far. I don't like the character designs, but the animation is good for the most part.
My only real problem with character designs are with Duke and Cobra Commander, other than that, I think they're pretty good overall.
I hope they don't sweep aside Scarlett/Snake Eyes.
Same here. I think it'll be Duke trying to clear their names, while Scarlett keeps trying to uncover Cobra for what they really are.
Voice acting is good but I hated Ripcord and I hope he stays dead. I don't need all these cute little explanations for why the guys are called what they are. It was rather cheesy they made Ripcord the nicknaming guy. Guys in the armed services get a call sign or nickname for a reason but they made it way too cute and cheesy here.
Yeah, I didn't like that part either.
The problem is that they went with the movie/new IDW comic series look for Cobra Commander. Charlie Adler is a great voice for CC, but the look is disappointing.
Agreed.

On a side note, the introduction for Cobra was awesome, and I like how they threw in the "Knowing is half the battle" line to close out the commercial.

I just wish/hope that they'd just go the X-Men Evolution route and have them just use their real names; especially during day-to-day activity when they don't have a reason to be using codenames.

They can't exactly use their real names in day to day regular activities since the main Joes are now fugitives from the law.

I'm watching the new series and the original series all at the same time, makes it interesting to compare the two.

So in regards to Renegades.

I found it to be alright, but there was a lot I didn't care for.

Don't care for the animation, but it did grow on me in Spectacular Spider-Man and I'll give it a shot here. I didn't like the mystery of Cobra Commander's actual look being sucked away so fast and when it showed part of his actual face, I had nightmares and seizures reminding me of how bad ROC was. I didn't like the lazers and I don't like the A-Team vibe they're going with. They even have the van now that I think of it. Not big on the biological villian either for the first two episodes either.

However, I do like what they're doing with Cobra. I like them having a nice image on the front and not all the public liking them, exactly the way I see most corporations for the most part. I liked seeing Flint and Lady Jaye working together and yet apart. I enjoy seeing Tunnel Rat again, I didn't mind Rip Cord being black. He's black in the IDW comics and I love IDW's work on the license. Plus I don't mind seeing others take changes seen in ROC and show everyone that it's not the changes that make the movie suck, it's the movie itself. And it was nice to see Flint calling out Baroness for not wearing a gas mask.

I'm not sold on the series at all, but I'll give it a fair shot. I'd rather see a Resolute series though.

They can't exactly use their real names in day to day regular activities since the main Joes are now fugitives from the law.

I meant when they're talking to one another. For instance, I'd personally feel rather silly calling someone 'Tunnel Rat' instead of his actual name, whether it be 'Nicky' or 'Lee'.

I've only ever seen a couple of episodes of the original G.I. Joe, so I'll judge this series more by it's own merit. And I'm reeeeally liking what I see so far.

Animation: It does seem a bit sloppy by today's standards. I don't mean the style, I mean the fluidity of movement but I guess that's to be expected when hand drawn toons are less caricaturish. Plus, this is common with the first season of any cartoon show.

Writing: I love Jeff Kline's work. Few people make cartoons about adults aimed at kids that can satisfy both as good as he does. And while I don't know a ton about how military personnel get "nom de guerre", there's a very natural vibe about how certain characters get their nicknames on this show. Usually, it's just someone getting consumed by power and saying "I'm not ---- anymore! Call me ----!" Some already have nicknames, others get them...I think it works. And I am SO happy we've heard Duke referred to as Conrad (my name!) a couple of times! It makes up for Stephen Sommers' exclusion. =_=

A few qualms: Off the top of my head...Duke doesn't know how to disarm a security guard. He just grabs that oversized weapon and wrassles with the guy holding it, being so, so lucky nobody got shot with it. This is one of the main things military martial arts like Krav Maga or Systema are supposed to teach you. I almost can't take Duke seriously as a leader after this but I'm sure he'll make up for it.

There's a few more but that one just sticks out the most for now.

Props for: Keeping it fairly grounded in the real world. Even when Cobra establishes in their video that they're on the forefront of technology, the characters seem pretty surprised to find them using shooting lasers and siccing "lava lamp" monsters on them. By contrast, the new Avengers series on Disney XD feels like it's been living in a bunch of science fiction universes since Hydra replaced the Nazis in WWII. There's a sense of genuine originality to it. And having the balls to disintegrate a man (albeit unrealistically) in a drivers seat leaving only a burn mark.

More thoughts later...

Good episode yesterday. I lol'd at the "Framed for a crime they didn't commit" in the opening. I guess Ripcord really is dead, or at least taken out of the show for a while since he's not in it anymore :/

I didn't mind Ripcord. I did like Breaker's intro. Really not caring for the approach to the characters designs though and the animation overall. I think it was Zartan that just made his debut and I didn't care for him at all.

This show is way better than Transformers Prime.

Loving the "don't trust corporations" angle.

This show is way better than Transformers Prime.
Big time, I watched one show of TFP, and its pretty much crap.

The one thing I liked about TFP was that Frank Welker is voicing Megatron once again. That was awesome.

He should have voiced Megatron in the Bay TF movies. imo :cmad:

Really? huuh, and all this time I thought he was a Dreadnok.

No eye patch, no metal arm? How can they pass him as Major Bludd?!! :down

:doh:

Bludd was my first guess. But without the eypatch my next guess was Zartan. Interesting.

Really? huuh, and all this time I thought he was a Dreadnok.

No eye patch, no metal arm? How can they pass him as Major Bludd?!! :down

:doh:

At the end of the episode, after the explosion, you can see him clutching his left eye with some sort of wound running down across his face. Maybe they're just showing how he got the eyepatch?

At the end of the episode, after the explosion, you can see him clutching his left eye with some sort of wound running down across his face. Maybe they're just showing how he got the eyepatch?
Mmmmmh, I didn't catch that.

Baroness CALLED HIM MAJOR BLUDD. How are we still debating this?

Transformers Prime may be getting all of the (undeserved) hype, but so far GI Joe: Renegades is the better series. The animation is slowly improving but still has a ways to go before it can be considered "good" for lack of a better word.

Right now this is getting the win just because of a consistent release of episodes. Not sure why they'd do that with this and not do the same with Prime.

So far the ONLY bad episodes in this series was that Snake-Eyes 2-parter.

Which was surprising. The directing, choreography, and story was such a let-down.

Anyways, New SCRAP-IRON EPISODE today!!!

Holy Shi**!!

Destro, Doc, and Steeler are also on this episode!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"