Godzilla Minus One

Godzilla -1.0 4K, Bluray, and DVD will be released here in Japan on May 1st.

Well, Toho must hear all of our wishes and releases it relatively fast..haha

4K Ultimate Edition 4 Disc will be ¥12,100 yen
Bluray Ultimate Edition 4 Disc will be ¥9,900 yen
Bluray Special Edition 2 Disc will be ¥6,050 yen
DVD Special Edition 3 Disc will be ¥4,950 yen

And the standard Bluray and DVD (each 1 Disc) will be ¥4,400 yen for BD and ¥3,300 for DVD

The art cover Screenshot_20240305_175741_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240305_175811_Facebook.jpg

will start pre-ordering now 🤗
However, I think the Toho release here wont be having an English subtitle...and I dont know if there were any Region Lock, but for anyone who can't wait for the US release, you can order it on Amazon Japan or Rakuten, they provide international shipping as far as I know
(I will send the link here later :))

Last edited:
Already pre ordered the 4K Ultimate Edition 4 Disc (it includes 1 Disc 4K, 1 Disc BD, 1 Disc BD for the Minus Color, and 1 Bonus Disc consist of Making of and World Premiere Event, and also a booklet )

The art design is very cool!Screenshot_20240306_001900_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Here is the link in case anyone wants to pre order it too (But unfortunately, I already read the description that there is indeed NO English subtitle...I share the link for anyone who perhaps cannot wait to watch it again, but I am sure it will eventually get a release in US with English sub..hopefully it wont be long)

『ゴジラ-1.0』 豪華版 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray 同梱4枚組 [Blu-ray] Amazon.co.jp

I pre ordered from Rakuten and got a member discount that the price is ¥9559 yen for the 4K Ultimate Edition, while from Amazon is still ¥12,100 yen.

Last edited:
Also need to know if it is region free.

If we are lucky, may see it in June.

I know Toho has put out region free Godzilla sets before, but they usually don't include English subs to force us to buy them domestically. So I would watch out for that

^ it sure didnt have English subtitle on any Toho's Godzilla Blurays that I own.
I didnt own them all though...only Millenium series (all of them), '2014, Shin, KotM, GvK, the anime series, and a few of Heisei and the 1954 movie.
And all of them never had English subtitle but I think it is region free.

A well-deserved win and it's still great how this movie started only playing at a few theaters in the West, but word of mouth gave it Godzilla-sized legs that marched all the way to the Oscars.

Happy to see Yamazaki-shi got a recognition on the industry biggest stage.

He is only getting known in the West for Godzilla (understandably so).
But here in Japan, he was first getting recognition and first considered as one of the best Japanese director when he directed "ALWAYS San-chōme no Yūhi" (ALWAYS sunset on 3rd street) , Eternal Zero, and "Doraemon: Stand by Me". Those are 3 of his best works besides Minus One.

IMO, "ALWAYS sunset on 3rd street" was his very best work and one of the best movie that I have ever seen. For him to go from a movie about small family in Tokyo post war, to an animated movie about Japanese anime icon of all time in Doraemon, to a movie about Kamikaze pilot during WW2, to a movie about giant monster is a prove that now he is truly a leading director in Japanese movie industry, who can tackle any different genres of any kind...but the theme and the core of any of his movies are the same through and through...and that he's always telling the most touching and relatable human drama with heart that can make even adult people cry.

Congratulations once again to Yamazaki-shi and his team.

Last edited:
Having finally gotten the opportunity to see this in its entirety several times to go more in depth, I can easily say it has joined Shin Godzilla as one of my favorite Gojira films of all time. It has an exceptional cast, a great story and an extremely badass Godzilla. All of the emotional beats & the human story are played to perfection and meshes perfectly with the Kaiju devastation taking place.

One of the biggest reasons this is so enjoyable for me is because of the horror-esque elements but they were of course even better than I thought based on the initial trailers. In viewing again, I just really love how well shot those initial attacks were, definitely gave off JP vibes in terms of the terror at hand & the beautiful execution of it all (no pun intended). Probably overstated by now but man, this movie deserved every damn award its gotten & then some. A prime example of what modern filmmaking should be when its done right & telling a great story. While watching & even after, I just keep loving the design for Godzilla here more and more. I didn't ever have any issues with the design or effects because they're amazing but just seeing him fully just made me appreciate him so much more.

Best thing is the runtime is solid as well; not too long, not too short. It hits just right and doesn't feel cramped nor is it bare-bones. It's a serious take on Godzilla & a film that takes itself seriously, which gives further weight to the immensity of everything that happens because it isn't played for laughs.

Really can't wait to see what's cooked up for a sequel and, if this is their way of starting a new Godzilla cinematic universe, I'm all for it.

Last edited:
Just still waiting a while longer until I actually see it. Been surprisingly good at avoiding spoilers thus far. 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"