When Toho starts the fourth series of Godzilla films, what do you want to see

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
I have a question: when Toho restarts their Godzilla series for the next era, what do you want them to do this time compared to the previous eras?

The questions branching from this include: should the first film still be a sequel to the 1954 original, or should they do what the 2014 film is doing, or take a third option that's more original (reboot, for example)? Should they have a much tighter continuity between the films, which would include recurring characters? Should they decide how many Godzilla movies to make (like a Godzilla trilogy (think Gamera trilogy), or 5-film series) and release them every couple of years instead of the normal one per year? And in each film, should they just use newer versions of old monsters (Mothra, Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla), go out of their way creating brand new monsters and never backing away from that plan, or do both? Etc.

Basically, what do you want?

Continuity-wise, I'd like to see the next wave of Toho Godzilla movies have a little more internal continuity instead of constantly defaulting back strictly to the original.

However, I also think they should wait two to three years between films instead of just one year, maybe release some other kaiju or sci-fi films to fill the gap ALSO within the same continuity as the Godzilla films, a la the MCU. Give the Big G a break now and then and let some other big galoot get a chance.

As for other monsters besides Godzilla...if it were me, I'd go back to monsters that haven't been seen since the Showa era, or at the very least have only been seen once since the Showa era ended (Moguera, Hedorah, Kumonga, etc.) while peppering in new monsters.

I suppose I want to see more modern kaiju. Perhaps something like thousands of drones attacking a kaiju or an obits rather than just a giant worm, giant spider again etc.

Also, I love european things so I would love to see some kaiju partying in Europe as well as japan of course.

Also, I actually love it when they use the extraterrestrial aliens stories so I would love to see a modern take on that

Oh and no kids!

should the first film still be a sequel to the 1954 original, or should they do what the 2014 film is doing, or take a third option that's more original (reboot, for example)?

I honestly don't really care. I guess I would rather they just not address Godzilla's origins or background at all if I'm being honest.

Should they have a much tighter continuity between the films, which would include recurring characters?

I would like it if they did. That's one of my favorite aspects of the Heisei series.

Should they decide how many Godzilla movies to make (like a Godzilla trilogy (think Gamera trilogy), or 5-film series) and release them every couple of years instead of the normal one per year?

I definitely wouldn't want to see the movies released on an annualized schedule. That doesn't strike me as conducive to making good movies.

Whether or not they planned out how many movies to make doesn't really matter to me. They could plan to make two or ten or more or less, as long as the quality of each individual film doesn't suffer, then it wouldn't matter to me.

And in each film, should they just use newer versions of old monsters (Mothra, Ghidorah, Mechagodzilla), go out of their way creating brand new monsters and never backing away from that plan, or do both? Etc.

I feel like relying on fan-favorite monsters like Mothra, Ghidora, etc. is too much of a crutch. It's lazy. I would definitely like to see all-new monsters. Besides, if their new monsters don't take off, they could always fall back on the old ones.

I'd actually like for more movies to not be related to one another. Like how Godzilla 2000 isn't related to vs Megauirus or GMK. That way each movie can have more freedom, creatively.

But that's me. I'd rather we just get there first, Toho may opt to keep letting WB or Legendary to make them from now on. As long as Toho gets their money from licensing other monsters, merchandise, and ticket sales, they aren't obligated to make more in-house Godzilla flicks.

Last edited:
Well, if a new era of Godzilla films are born, then I honestly for hope several things:

1. They have a firm continuity, I grew rather tired of the constant retying back to the original that the millennium series had done throughout most of its films. If a new series is born, either reference the original enough to establish things and move on, or don't reference the original at all and just be its own Godzilla (Godzilla Final Wars and I think G2K)

2. Bring in New Blood While Keeping the Classics: If a new series is to happen, introducing a few new monsters and expanding the kaiju kingdom would be awesome. Seeing the same usual popular monsters can be tiresome and repetitive, especially if overused. But we have to face facts, popular classics are popular, and they bring in interest compared to new unfamiliar contenders.

But keeping the classics can still be enjoyable if used moderately. So mixing the two would definitely bring a nice merger of connecting the classics with the new monsters.

3. Find the general tone of the series, like with the Heisei Godzilla Series and Gamera Trilogy, they mostly had a balanced tone within their own series. Doing so could allow atmosphere and creative tone consistency, which could influence a more firm quality of films in terms of direction.

I think that's about it for me :D

I would like to see a quasi-realistic geo-political aspect. Godzilla 85/Return of Godzilla was one of the few that had anything like that.

Here's a better example:
In the real world Japan has 40,000 US troops based there, with US naval, army and marine bases. There is always US Carrier Strike Group close by as well. If Godzilla attacked Japan, there would be a massive military response by the US. Considering how close Japan is to Russia and China, I could see them getting involved too.

Another geo political aspect is nuclear wepons, Japan in recent years has stockpiled plutonium in the real world and begun to rebuild their armed forces. Considering the nuclear threat from North Korea and the issues with China over the Senkakkus, it would not be hard to see Japan develop nuclear weapons. The idea of Japan testing nuclear weapons in the Pacific would be the perfect catalyst to me for the awakening of Godzilla.

Godzilla vs Gamera, that's what i want to see.

The origins of monster island. How other cultures react to the presence of the Godzilla and his rogues' gallery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"