Gotham City

Astro13Zombie

Superhero
Reaction score
I know there used to be a thread about this.
I can’t find it though so I’m starting a new one :shrug:

What are you hoping that Gotham City will look like in Matt Reeves’ Batman movie?

Bring back the Hugh Ferriss aesthetics!

0-F7158-C8-9-A8-F-40-B1-8478-13971609-D835.jpg

C94043-D3-6-E8-C-4-E19-879-D-391524-FC4-A3-B.jpg

Last edited:
I've always pictured Gotham as a dark, New Jersey after midnight version of NYC from the 70's mixed with highly gothic architecture and slow updates to modernist style.

As much as I love the Nolan trilogy, I don't love how it went from a very concerted effort to give Gotham its own feel in Batman Begins, to "Eh, **** it, it's just Chicago" in the following movies (or a mish-mash of whatever cities they happened to be shooting in, in TDKR's case).

I want a stylized Gotham again but like the aesthetics of Dark Knight and Rises because they serve the purposes of their respective films. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also want a stylized Gotham. Or, at least, something less "plain" than TDK and TDKR.

As much as I love the Nolan trilogy, I don't love how it went from a very concerted effort to give Gotham its own feel in Batman Begins, to "Eh, **** it, it's just Chicago" in the following movies (or a mish-mash of whatever cities they happened to be shooting in, in TDKR's case).
Same here.

Anton Furst was such a visionary. We need to bring visionary back into Batman.

Last edited:
Honestly, somewhere between Burton and Nolan would be ideal. I’d love to see a stylized Gotham City in the vein of what Burton created, but with the scale, scope, and visuals of the Nolan trilogy. Nolan’s Gotham looked and felt like a real city (because it was, but you know what I mean). Not a single other fictional city in any other superhero city I’ve seen tops his Gotham. That visual with stylized, comic book accurate visuals would be breathtaking.

I want Gotham to look real, i have been to European cities that have felt perfect, but i want it shot on location, green screen at times is obvious. Burton's seemed too far fetched and inside a studio.

It should resemble a city, but there should be pockets that were products of their time - concrete blocks, gothic churches and old town walls.

I've always felt the old city should be gothic, have a wall, a castle of sorts at the docks, cathedral, Wayne Mannor should be this castle that encased the old city back in the day... not out in the country.

Southampton in the UK is an example of still retaining its city walls, spain also Dubrovnik, Prague, Gwynned looks beautiful at sunset with its castle and walls.

I want Gotham to look much more industrial than it was in Nolan films. Factories with chimneys that live together with old quarters. Maybe re-imagine with modern sensibilities. I want it a bit detached from reality, so Batman doesn't look too silly amidst real cities.

Basically I want a black and white Batman movie.

Honestly, somewhere between Burton and Nolan would be ideal. I’d love to see a stylized Gotham City in the vein of what Burton created, but with the scale, scope, and visuals of the Nolan trilogy. Nolan’s Gotham looked and felt like a real city (because it was, but you know what I mean). Not a single other fictional city in any other superhero city I’ve seen tops his Gotham. That visual with stylized, comic book accurate visuals would be breathtaking

Couldn't agree more

I’d like a clash of the gothic and the modern. Baroque architecture sat alongside modern construction. A tall, looming mish mash of the old and new. The architecture of Gotham needs to reflect Batman’s psyche - fractured.

Soviet statues was an interesting touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"