Halo - The Live Action TV Series - By Steven Spielberg

Gripes aside overall I enjoyed it. It's definitely not Halo as we know it but this is clearly an alternate take that is going in a seperate direction (and still, no Halo). There are a few issues with the story and pacing, and some character choices (Makee and Halsey primarily) were not the best.

A few "twists" in this episode were a little too obviously not what they seemed right from the get-go.

Halsey was obviously a clone right from the moment they "captured" her, because they would not let their secondary villian get so quickly and easily caught. Halsey is too slippery and smart for that.

Makee probably isn't dead, or at least not completely dead yet (who knows what a desperate Covenant will try to get to the Halo) and Cortana taking over the Chief at the end was so heavily foreshadowed it was blinding me.

I suspected at least one Spartan was going to die but they did surprise me with only grievously wounding Riz instead of outright killing or paralyzing her. She may yet be back or they will retire her from active duty although I doubt they will write her off the show.

At least it was entirely focused on the Master Chief which surprised me because I was sure Kwan Ha would pop up for another exposition dump on Madrigal and how she is somehow tied to everything.

I don't know what the next season holds for Silver team but it's going to be interesting to see if they actually make it to the eponymous Halo in season 2.

Yeah I almost wonder if Kai was supposed to die in episode 8 when the ship crashed but they focus grouped it and audiences were like, “You can’t kill her! She’s the best character!” And so they changed it up. Because the reactions by John and the other Spartans were strange when she emerged from the wreckage. John risked everything to save Kai just a few episodes before and then she almost died and he seemed way too non-reactive about it lol.

Anyway, I overall enjoyed this season, especially these last couple episodes. Halsey is a great antagonist and Makee is interesting too… I hope we haven’t seen the last of her. John is a good lead; the aforementioned scene with Kai aside I found his hero’s journey compelling. And the Covenant leaders are creepy as hell. They’re like if Jabba and Sebulba had children.

Unfortunately Kwan Ha and Soren are the weakest parts of the show, not because their characters are bad but because their storylines just aren’t as interesting. I was fully engaged in everything to do with the Spartans and the Covenant, and any time we took a detour to Madrigal or Soren’s hideout, it just was kind of a lull. I’m fine with these characters returning in season 2 but hopefully they will be better integrated into the main story.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if either of those characters never came back because the subplots involving them ended up being pretty pointless, dull and easily the weakest part of this season.

I just couldn't get invested in Kwan's character and while I did like Bookeem Woodbine's presence whenever he was onscreen, I can't help but feel his talent was wasted overall.

If they do bring them back in Season 2 hopefully the writing is a lot better and if not I'm fine with other more interesting and likable characters like Kai getting more screentime/development.

Halo TV series producer on tough creative decisions, fan feedback, and the franchise’s "open" future

Now, on the eve of the video game adaptation’s UK streaming debut on Paramount Plus, 343 Industries and Halo series producer Kiki Wolfkill says the creative team is "looking at all the feedback, good and bad" ahead of production starting up on the second season.

"We’re still getting feedback. It’s interesting to me to see characters that are resonating or not," Wolfkill tells GamesRadar+ over Zoom.

"I will say, philosophically, [we are] absolutely looking at all of the feedback, good and bad, from each episode. And those are the things that will carry forward as learnings into season two, just like all of the learnings we had on season one [that] we get through the course of production, we’ll carry those forward. We will look at everything."

The fans, then, will likely have a say in how the Halo series moves forward. It was one decision in pre-production, however, that was expected to caused a considerable amount of debate behind-the-scenes – and it’s not the one you’re thinking of.

"One of the big shifts that we did for the very mainstream – and by that, I mean people who may have just played the games and not read the books – was bringing in the timeline of the Insurrection up against the Covenant War," Wolfkill says of the two events that, in previous Halo media, were about three decades apart.

"We bring that up so that we could actually get a view into the sort of the sociopolitical dynamics of the inner colonies, the outer colonies, and the UNSC role in that," she continues. "Also the idea that, for a lot of people in the human colonies, the Covenant War wasn’t always front and center in the way it was for the UNSC and for the people on the frontlines."

At the time, however, Wolfkill admits the shifting of key events felt like a "breach": "It’s funny now looking back on it because that feels very appropriate for what we wanted to do with the story," Wolfkill recalls. "At the time, it felt like such a big change…That’s one of those places where it does help flesh out the world for viewers in a way that's a little more comprehensive and lets us touch on these themes that we would not have been able to do if we were looking at the Insurrection as something that had happened decades in the past."

Season 2 opens with Chief waking up on a Halo. Its revealed that season 1 was an artificial construct designed by the Covenant to imprison Master Chief while they carried on with their holy work.

They teased us here in the UK with the first episode on national TV. I really enjoyed it but just can't afford the subscription to P+ to watch the rest right now.

Will it be available to buy phsycially at any point?

Unlike Disney and Netflix, Paramount seems to be releasing their streaming content onto physical media like Star Trek. So I’d assume so.

Last edited:
Netflix has slowed down, but there was a point where they did do physical media. I remember the first seasons of the Marvel Netflix got Blu-Ray releases. Same with at least season 1 of Stranger Things. Not sure about other original content, though.

How does it look on 4K?

Only watched the first episode but really curious to see the rest of the season.
The 4K transfer is pretty beautiful actually which surprised me. I only watched the first episode but the picture quality is very clear and the colors in that opening scene are great. So yeah I’m going to watch the rest of the season but so far it’s very impressive.

The 4K transfer is pretty beautiful actually which surprised me. I only watched the first episode but the picture quality is very clear and the colors in that opening scene are great. So yeah I’m going to watch the rest of the season but so far it’s very impressive.

Awesome thanks buddy

Nope but it at least looks a tad cleaned up for the 4K transfer but not by much.

Warts and all I suppose. Leave the Starbucks cup in Game of Thrones.

9v26Hn3ssdiv4u8VE3o-IlwvToT-wxZKMxidkFB5ogE.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"