• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Halo - The Live Action TV Series - By Steven Spielberg

you should know that what makes a MOVIE/TV Show good is the script the director only reason is to be sure that it looks good , you should be worried if the script is from the guys behind Robin Hood which is not the case

Haven't seen Robin Hood but I liked "The National Anthem" from Black Mirror, aside from the ending.

Showtime's 'Halo' TV Series Adds Second Showrunner (Exclusive)

Showtime's long-gestating Halo TV series is adding a second showrunner.

Steven Kane (TNT's The Last Ship, The Closer) has boarded the live-action drama as co-showrunner. In his new role, Kane will serve alongside showrunner Kyle Killen (Lone Star, Awake).

Sources say the decision to bring in a second showrunner came directly from Killen, who wanted to focus on the big-budget drama's stateside production — including writing and producing — as he sought a partner who was able to spend the better part of a year in Budapest during physical production on Halo. Killen is expected to be on set but not full time. Showtime, in announcing the June 2018 series pickup, called Halo its "most ambitious series ever."

The Halo TV series “may shift dates, locations, or ethnicity of characters” - VG247

Speaking on a panel today at Reboot Develop, 343 executive producer Kiki Wolfkill briefly touched on how the company is approaching the adaptation. Respecting canon is one of 343’s priorities, according to Wolfkill, but not at the expense of doing what makes sense.

For example, the Halo games never let us see Master Chief’s face, adding to the character’s mystique (if people called John can have mystique), but would that work in television? “There are occasions where he showers…” Wolfkill laughed. “Joking aside, there are some details that we may shift, but we want to respect the fans and what they love about the IP.”

The producer went on to say that 343 understand it will never please everyone. There will always be some people who are upset, but it will do what’s right for the nine episode series. “We may shift dates, locations, or ethnicity of characters,” Wolfkill said.

They are right about that. Whatever they do is going to piss off some over-sensitive fanboy and his buddies even if it is an improvement.

I would prefer they don’t show his face, but oh, well!

I guess it’s hard to have a main character where you can’t see his face or him emoting. It’s different with video games

Showtime's 'Halo' TV series casts its Master Chief lead

Showtime has cast Pablo Schreiber (First Man, Orange Is the New Black) in the lead role based on the iconic Xbox franchise.

The character for the mysterious series version of the game is described as “Earth’s most advanced warrior in the 26th century and the only hope of salvation for a civilization pushed to the brink of destruction by the Covenant, an unstoppable alliance of alien worlds committed to the destruction of humanity.”

The series has also cast newcomer Yerin Ha as Quan Ah, “a shrewd, audacious 16-year-old from the Outer Colonies who meets Master Chief at a fateful time for them both.”

Schreiber was nominated for an Emmy for his work in Orange is the New Black and also had roles in American Gods and The Brink.

9YiofRH.jpg

Cool. Loved him in OITNB and recently watched Den of Thieves so yeah I’m with this casting.

Funny that Pablo and his brother Liev have shows on the same network now.

Showtime's 'Halo' TV series casts its Master Chief lead

Showtime has cast Pablo Schreiber (First Man, Orange Is the New Black) in the lead role based on the iconic Xbox franchise.

The character for the mysterious series version of the game is described as “Earth’s most advanced warrior in the 26th century and the only hope of salvation for a civilization pushed to the brink of destruction by the Covenant, an unstoppable alliance of alien worlds committed to the destruction of humanity.”

The series has also cast newcomer Yerin Ha as Quan Ah, “a shrewd, audacious 16-year-old from the Outer Colonies who meets Master Chief at a fateful time for them both.”

Schreiber was nominated for an Emmy for his work in Orange is the New Black and also had roles in American Gods and The Brink.

9YiofRH.jpg

I dig this casting! He's great on American Gods!

is this the 1st time we've seen Master Chief unmasked?? lol

Watching that video got me hyped for the show lol. Please be good.

Interesting. Master chief’s voice is of course one of the most recognisable parts of him so it’ll be interesting to see how he goes there

Interesting. Master chief’s voice is of course one of the most recognisable parts of him so it’ll be interesting to see how he goes there

Definitely! Steve Downes' voice is so distinct!

Sure Pablo will do well in the role, though!

343's Kiki Wolfkill: We've Had Growing Pains over the Years as a Studio, Now We're Excited for What's Coming to the Halo IP

there anything you can share with us about the Halo TV series? Because I know for a fact that a lot of our readers want to know.

Yeah, nothing I could share except to say that, you know, we are actively working on it, actively working on the creative process, actively working on the production. It’s incredibly exciting for us because it just feels like we have great collaboration and momentum. And, you know, there have been times during the show when it’s all been focused on the business side of it and contracts, negotiations, all of that. It feels like we’re beyond that stage now and frankly, in the far more gratifying part of the process, which is the creative one.

Yeah, absolutely. I imagine sticking to a strict canon is difficult when you do have a transmedia franchise to maintain. Are there any examples like, tweaking or retconning existing canon that you can tell me about?

Yeah, I mean, I think retconning is a pretty normal part of any sort of universe building. When I think about the TV show, you know, an example that Frank O’ Connor (my creative partner on the show), and I… We talked a lot about Game of Thrones, right? I read all of the books before the show came out. They were extremely faithful to the book very early on but, you know, even within season one they had some pretty strong deviations. And I remember watching that, I would be momentarily jarred by the fact that they were changing how something had read in the book, but then very quickly understood why, right, and all of that they’re very smart. And all of those cases, I feel like they made a decision to change the story for a really good reason. I’m like, wow, that was an amazing scene, I completely get why they made that change.

And so I feel like that’s the framework that we think about. As we think about the show, how do we make sure that any sort of change that they feel we have to make is made for the right reasons? And that’s tough. I don’t know if you always know that until it’s done.

And I think for us, that’s why I think we may end up considering it sort of a branch of the canon, because we want to acknowledge that we’ve deviated and also wanted to be clear why.

And then making those changes not disrespect the core canon. I think we’re still sort of figuring out what that means and what that was like. Does that make sense?

Definitely. One thing I was wondering is that Master Chief has never been a silent protagonist, but he’s been quite the man of few words.

Yes, absolutely.

Has it ever been really difficult to characterize characters like Master Chief (and some of his other co-stars) in mediums which don’t really allow for the strong silent type so much?

Yeah, I mean, I think that was one of the interesting challenges going into the TV series, especially, you know, as we do these boot camps for anyone coming on to the show. So all of the department heads and the network and marketing, we’ve done a lot of these to really express sort of what the DNA of Halo and his end of each of the characters in the relationships to each other. And it was sort of the first challenges. You know, if we want to have a dramatic story around the Master Chief around John, we have to be able to have him communicate more.

But how do we do that and still keep that stoicism, right? And it’s been sort of that sense of control from him. And so that’s how we think about it. Right? If you hear him more, how does it not feel out of character or untrue of who he is? And that’s just really a dialogue challenge.

Yeah, that makes sense. Another question I can imagine it’s pretty difficult. is John going to have significant screen time in the upcoming TV show?

Oh, he’s definitely a big part of this series, yes. I’m thinking because I’m trying to remember if we haven’t mentioned that before, but I believe Showtime mentioned it.

Are there going to be tie-ins to other Halo media, like Halo Infinite?

I don’t know that there’s a lot to say on that right now. You know, right now, what we’re focused on is making sure Halo Infinite is as great as it can be. And making sure the Halo TV show is as great as can be, kind of back to my point of when we try to tie them personally, we ended up having to make compromises on either side, something would change in the game, right? And then we try and change it in, you know, Halo Nightfall as an example, like at some point, they have to be able to have their own independence to be the best they can be. And so we think a lot about what are the right loose connections that allow for both to move in the direction they need to but also feel like they have no need for each other. Absolutely.

That makes more sense. Is there a lot of collaboration between teams working on different Halo media?

Oh, yeah, absolutely. It’s hard work, it’s hard for us to manage, especially when different teams are really heads-down on what they’re doing. But now there’s a lot of cross-pollination and a lot of creative conversation. And at the very least, we will make sure to have discussions just so we can be aware on each side of changes that are happening. And then we have a franchise team who are sort of the shepherds and protectors of canon who work across all the projects. So there’s always a common thread of knowledge of what’s going on with all the projects. And so we all are aware of the rest of the franchise as well.

It’s good stuff. On TV show. Is it going to be like, more based in space? I always liked seeing Earth, but we don’t see much of it in the franchise, outside of ODST. Can we expect to see Earth in the series?

We aren’t talking about setting too much yet.

Is there anything else that you feel like Halo fans should know?

I think as a studio, you know, we’ve kind of gone through our own growing pains over the years. And I think we’re all really energized with the things we’re doing with the Master Chief Collection. And bringing that on the PC and sort of really moving into a more of a service model with how we deliver content and updates with MCC and really, for the first time, moving on to PC very deliberately. And then at the same time, with Infinite and the TV show, this idea of really shepherding in this new generation of Halo is really exciting for us. Like it just feels like we have all these really great pieces that we’re incredibly excited about moving forward at the same time. So that’s crazy. As developers and also just Halo fans, we are really excited about the next few years.

Excellent. Thank you so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to me today, it’s been very enlightening.

I really hope they get this right. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"