The Amazing Spider-Man How do you view andrew Garfield's Peter Parker

Spider-knight

Sidekick
Reaction score
Since the amazing spiderman films existed plenty of people have accused Peter of being a hipster and somewhat unlikable but I tend to disagree. Peter is more viewed as a socially awkward kid who also dresses socially awkward. I myself know this because I went through the same thing in high school and a little bit in college and have met a couple of people like that. I also disagree with him being hip but more confident like he was in the romita days where the character became more on more confident. While I can understand how he got into oscorp, the laundry sheriff thing, him leaving NY with Gwen and being gone for 5 months most of the time Peter seems like a pretty good guy who's writing is somewhat problematic at times. Hopefully by the third film we'll see that fixed and hopefully we'll see more of him in the sinister six film.

What are your views on Andrew's Peter Parker?

Since the amazing spiderman films existed plenty of people have accused Peter of being a hipster and somewhat unlikable but I tend to disagree. Peter is more viewed as a socially awkward kid who also dresses socially awkward. I myself know this because I went through the same thing in high school and a little bit in college and have met a couple of people like that. I also disagree with him being hip but more confident like he was in the romita days where the character became more on more confident. While I can understand how he got into oscorp, the laundry sheriff thing, him leaving NY with Gwen and being gone for 5 months most of the time Peter seems like a pretty good guy who's writing is somewhat problematic at times. Hopefully by the third film we'll see that fixed and hopefully we'll see more of him in the sinister six film.

What are your views on Andrew's Peter Parker?

That people saying that he is a jerk is stupid he is just a teenager lol. He is just social akward and like you said about know how that is. I am still shy and have trouble with social anxiety even though I am 25 but it was a lot worse when I was in middle school and high school. When I was in high school I only talked to like 5 people lol. Know I am trying to get out and meet more people. Started going to a collage age group at church with around 300 people and a lot of cute girls and I want to talk to them just don't know how. So yeah I agree with what you say.

He's great. He's not a jerk by any means. He has a good sense of humour and he is very believable character. He is Peter Parker.
And Andrew is an amazing actor.

I think Andrew isn't getting the credit he deserves. There's one thing I like about his role as Peter so far: progression.

The stuttering, anxiety, and nervousness are all what I expected to see in TASM1. You know that's how Peter is if you are a true fan, and the origin story inevitably has to explore that.

However, I was surprised but pleased to see his character change in TASM2. The point of the film was to show Peter's responsibility after embracing his identity as Spider-Man, and whether or not he sticks to the promise he made with Captain Stacy. The aloof portrayal they gave of him that people complained about, in my opinion, might have been intentional. He has a confident, arguably overconfident, bravado about him that they highlighted with scenes such as him kissing Gwen onstage. They were trying to show this new powerful side of Peter, which ultimately leads to Gwen's death. Yes, it wasn't entirely his fault that she died, but he played a role by choosing to follow her "path."

His character's progression was one of the things I enjoyed most in this film. Again, something I think he isn't getting enough credit for.

Garfield embodies the things that make Peter Parker an admirable character.

I always felt Peter Parker was more of a headstrong, witty, independent type of nerd and less Steve Urkel/Spongebob type.

Garfield and Emma Stone are the strongest part of the ASM series. It's a shame that ASM2 jumped the shark script and tone wise.

They deserve a better legacy.

i think andrew is a more relatable peter parker

tumblr_nan3deGTdJ1tx4us4o1_250.gif

i think andrew is a more relatable peter parker

tumblr_nan3deGTdJ1tx4us4o1_250.gif

I feel like a lot of teens and older guys relate to the way he acts, his interests, and his mannerisms. I honestly don't relate to him that much if at all. At least not on the surface.
That aside, I love how he acts in early TASM. I also love how it all traces back to his parents being absent in his life. He just kept to himself and became a true wallflower. ("It's Peter, right?") He's just "that kid." I also appreciate the fact that his science side is taken seriously. He is not, imo, THE Peter Parker. Imo, he relies waaay too much on Gwen and is too insecure.

Last edited:
if peter and spiderman appear in the sinister six i love to see what drew goddard does with him if sony doesn't meddle with his work.

I found him completely obnoxious and unlikable in TASM. In TASM 2 his Peter was more tolerable, but his Spider-Man in both movies is annoying and unfunny.

I think Garfield, like his Spider-Man movies, will be forgotten once their run is over.

I found him completely obnoxious and unlikable in TASM. In TASM 2 his Peter was more tolerable, but his Spider-Man in both movies is annoying and unfunny.

I think Garfield, like his Spider-Man movies, will be forgotten once their run is over.

Is spider man is prefect couldn't be better. I don't get the whole unlikable thing either.

Spiderman doesn't seem annoying and his character does annoy the avengers and his villains plus some of his jokes aren't that good even he doesn't think their that good

Spider-Man does seem annoying in these movies, and his character annoying other fictional characters is meant to be amusing for the reader, not annoying them, which it doesn't. When Spidey is annoying his fans then something is seriously wrong.

When the majority of his quips are not funny, which Garfield's aren't, then that is also a problem.

Spider-Man does seem annoying in these movies, and his character annoying other fictional characters is meant to be amusing for the reader, not annoying them, which it doesn't. When Spidey is annoying his fans then something is seriously wrong.

When the majority of his quips are not funny, which Garfield's aren't, then that is also a problem.

Okay that opening truck scene was a little too much but he makes up for it in the time square and power plant scene.

I also don't see a problem with his sparkles jokes

Sever of his quips are funny and not all of his quips are funny that is just spider man being spider man and he is not annoying and even if he was sometimes spider man is annoying. I gusse you just don't want spider man to be spider man.

I feel like a lot of teens and older guys relate to the way he acts, his interests, and his mannerisms. I honestly don't relate to him that much if at all. At least not on the surface.
That aside, I love how he acts in early TASM. I also love how it all traces back to his parents being absent in his life. He just kept to himself and became a true wallflower. ("It's Peter, right?") He's just "that kid." I also appreciate the fact that his science side is taken seriously. He is not, imo, THE Peter Parker. Imo, he relies waaay too much on Gwen and is too insecure.

If I personally had to pick which Peter I could relate to a bit more (Tobey's or Andrew's), it would probably be Andrew's; I see his Peter Parker as more of an outsider than a geek and it's maybe because of the fact that he's an outsider and isn't out partying with friends all the time he's so smart and so drawn to science, being fascinated by science and feeling like it's a big part of him and being able to create little gadgets for his room in his spare time (the door lock) and his web shooters.

I think Andrew isn't getting the credit he deserves. There's one thing I like about his role as Peter so far: progression.

The stuttering, anxiety, and nervousness are all what I expected to see in TASM1. You know that's how Peter is if you are a true fan, and the origin story inevitably has to explore that.

However, I was surprised but pleased to see his character change in TASM2. The point of the film was to show Peter's responsibility after embracing his identity as Spider-Man, and whether or not he sticks to the promise he made with Captain Stacy. The aloof portrayal they gave of him that people complained about, in my opinion, might have been intentional. He has a confident, arguably overconfident, bravado about him that they highlighted with scenes such as him kissing Gwen onstage. They were trying to show this new powerful side of Peter, which ultimately leads to Gwen's death. Yes, it wasn't entirely his fault that she died, but he played a role by choosing to follow her "path."

His character's progression was one of the things I enjoyed most in this film. Again, something I think he isn't getting enough credit for.

I was really glad to see a more mature Peter in TASM2 and how his promise to Capt. Stacy really did affect him and even after breaking up with Gwen, he watched over to make sure she was okay while tending to saving others.

Maybe Gwen's path that Peter said he would follow was meant to be the "path" that she describes in the graduation speech and that was meant to be Peter's path all along, even if it meant Gwen had to die for him to realise that he has a responsibility as Spider-Man.

Garfield embodies the things that make Peter Parker an admirable character.

I always felt Peter Parker was more of a headstrong, witty, independent type of nerd and less Steve Urkel/Spongebob type.

Garfield and Emma Stone are the strongest part of the ASM series. It's a shame that ASM2 jumped the shark script and tone wise.

They deserve a better legacy.

This.

He is the worst Peter Parker and Spider-Man I have ever seen. I even like the Ultimate Spider-Man better because he never made me dislike him by being so arrogant and rude as Peter Parker, and have terrible one liners all the time as Spider-Man. I also hate that he has little interest in the legacy of his Uncle's death. He's not Peter Parker. Just in name only.

He is the worst Peter Parker and Spider-Man I have ever seen. I even like the Ultimate Spider-Man better because he never made me dislike him by being so arrogant and rude as Peter Parker, and have terrible one liners all the time as Spider-Man. I also hate that he has little interest in the legacy of his Uncle's death. He's not Peter Parker. Just in name only.

You haven't watched enough USM (though I don't blame you at all for that). I'm still working my way through season #2 and not only are his one-liners beyond annoying, they're cringeworthy to such extremes, I don't know if there's a word capable of describing them. IMO, the quips in the ASM movies are leagues better than anything I've heard in USM.

Sever of his quips are funny and not all of his quips are funny that is just spider man being spider man and he is not annoying and even if he was sometimes spider man is annoying. I gusse you just don't want spider man to be spider man.

I don't know what's worse; your condescending mis-informed opinion or your bad grammar! Why would I want him to not be Spider-Man? If I didn't want him to be Spider-Man then I'd love the TASM movies because they fit that description to a tee.

Spider-Man is never annoying to the fans. Never. I mean what kind of idiots would deliberately make the hero character irritate the fans/audience? That's a sure fire way to lose fans not gain them. His one liners are puke worthy. God named sparkles, Yo yo yo the boys in blue are here, Just don't call me late for dinner etc. Garbage. If you like them then good for you. There's people who get a kick out of Mr. Freeze's cheesy ice puns in Batman and Robin, too. I'd slot you in that category with the bad Spidey quips.

Last edited:
His one liners are puke worthy. God named sparkles, Yo yo yo the boys in blue are here, Just don't call me late for dinner etc. Garbage.

I actually like them. :csad:

And I still don't get the "late for dinner" joke.

I was really glad to see a more mature Peter in TASM2 and how his promise to Capt. Stacy really did affect him and even after breaking up with Gwen, he watched over to make sure she was okay while tending to saving others.

Maybe Gwen's path that Peter said he would follow was meant to be the "path" that she describes in the graduation speech and that was meant to be Peter's path all along, even if it meant Gwen had to die for him to realise that he has a responsibility as Spider-Man.

Agreed 100%.

I definitely picked up on that reference in her speech. At this point, the only slap in the face to Gwen's death would be if Peter's guilt and agony isn't explored more in TASM3.

I believe the way they fast forwarded the end of TASM2 was to show the set up for S6, but I recall Webb saying something along the lines of, "Can Peter love again?" in an interview I saw regarding TASM3.

Agreed 100%.

I definitely picked up on that reference in her speech. At this point, the only slap in the face to Gwen's death would be if Peter's guilt and agony isn't explored more in TASM3.

I believe the way they fast forwarded the end of TASM2 was to show the set up for S6, but I recall Webb saying something along the lines of, "Can Peter love again?" in an interview I saw regarding TASM3.

I'm sure we'll see Peter still trying to cope with Gwen's death but I hope they don't introduce a love interest in TASM3 unless it's Black Cat. MJ would be best left out IMO.

You haven't watched enough USM (though I don't blame you at all for that). I'm still working my way through season #2 and not only are his one-liners beyond annoying, they're cringeworthy to such extremes, I don't know if there's a word capable of describing them. IMO, the quips in the ASM movies are leagues better than anything I've heard in USM.

I mean Ultimate Spider-Man the comics. I don't like them because of how they messed up so many characters in it. But I even like that Spider-Man better than TASM movies one because he's not as annoying and unfunny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"