I, Robot 2?

Mr. Credible

jukebox hero
Reaction score
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32907

BATTLESTAR's Ron Moore Brings Us THE THING, And Attempts To Salvage The I, ROBOT Sequel?!?!

Merrick here…

In a recent video interview with collider.com, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Executive Producer (and all around cool guy) Ronald D. Moore revealed he’s currently “working on THE THING for Universal”.
He didn't indicate if the project was theatrical, for television, or...what. A television miniseries of THE THING was contemplated for a while…not too long ago, actually. I want to say it was under the auspices of Frank Darabont & being tooled for Sci Fi Channel, although this might be wrong.
I’m not sure if this "news" or not; while a remake of THE THING has been threatened for the past few years, this is the first I recall hearing of Moore’s involvement. I'm a huge fan of Carpenter's 1982 version...it's difficult for me to imagine improving on it too much (although I felt the pacing went a little soft at the end), so I'm interested in...but a touch apprehensive...about how it'll be approached again.
Moore also says he just completed a draft of a sequel to I, ROBOT!?!? The notion of an I, ROBOT sequel has been bandied about for quite a while, but this is the first vaguely promising news we’ve heard about it. Guessing it’ll pick up with the Robot society which dropped roots at the end of the first film? Maybe we’ll get robotic discord in space…shades of BLADE RUNNER’s "Offworld" backstory.
This isn’t the first time Moore’s stepped into the franchise/sequel seat (outside of STAR TREK & BATTLESTAR); most people forget he received story credit on MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II alongside TREK scourge Brannon Braga.
Moore’s intense sense of mythology, pathos, & depth of character could suit both THE THING & I, ROBOT quite well. Still, it's hard not be be a little jittery about them.
SEE IT HERE!!!

well, that's awesome, if true. i loved the first I, Robot. i think it's criminally underrated. i don't know how good a sequel would be without alex proyas behind it, but i'd take my chances because i think there's so muh more they can do with the universe.

I hope this happens BUT, Will must be in it. It's not 'I, Robot' without him.

HELL TO THE NO!!! The last one was bad enough.

And this is coming from a guy who loves Proyas.

loved the first one, i hope both director and actor come back.

it would only work if the same director is back....otherwise i lost hope.

There were some serious flaws in the first one, but I did enjoy it quite a bit, so I wouldn't mind a sequel... and hell... maybe they'll actually manage to improve upon the first one.

I would love to see a sequel, but it isn't necessary.
The plot of the first was resolved, and left nothing to really be explored more. Will Smith is the man, though.

yeah I do. Let me rephrase that: It wouldn't be a sequel to the I, Robot movie without him. (To Kevin)

The book was much better than the movie. That said, I would probbaly go see a sequel.

I don't know about these serious flaws people are talking about with I, Robot. It was a through-and-through science fiction action movie that did what it was supposed to do, entertain.

I don't know about these serious flaws people are talking about with I, Robot. It was a through-and-through science fiction action movie that did what it was supposed to do, entertain.

The problem is, Asimov's story was much more complex then a dumb summer movie.

The problem is, Asimov's story was much more complex then a dumb summer movie.
And that's where you made your error. You actually expected them to make a faithful adaption of the book? I'd rather they do a kickass action movie than attempt a faithful adaption which would if anything had been pretty boring. And before you jump to conclusions, I have read Asimov.

And that's where you made your error. You actually expected them to make a faithful adaption of the book? I'd rather they do a kickass action movie than attempt a faithful adaption which would if anything had been pretty boring. And before you jump to conclusions, I have read Asimov.

No, I expected what I got. If that's what you prefer, that's fine. I would have prefered something a little more though provoking, but I certainly didn't expect it.

Proyas made a good film and a fantastic film(with a crap climax), and that's it, it's like he burnt himself out never to make anything good again. I, Robot was attrocious, insultingly obvious and lacked the directional inspiration of his finer work. Please don't make another one of these shabby pieces of feaces.

No, I expected what I got. If that's what you prefer, that's fine. I would have prefered something a little more though provoking, but I certainly didn't expect it.
Understandable. In that case, you need a healthy dose of Blade Runner injected into your veins.:woot:

I disliked Blade Runner:wow: for just that. It wasn't an action movie, it was a thought provoking drama.

Unfortunately, the result wasn't a kickass action movie. The movie was boring, with uninspired action direction and frankly, Will Smith just doesn't cut it as an action hero.

And praytell why its wrong to expect a faithful adaption? Sounds like the "take what you can get" mentality, which doesn't justify anything. I know nowadays adaptations are very loose, but when you get good ones, i.e. 300, Sin City, Harry Potter (to a degree) etc. the result is pretty good.

I don't think things have to be fully accurate, as long as the QUALITY is there. Which is never the case unfortunately.

I don't think it's too much to expect an I, Robot movie to be a little smarter than the typical blockbuster it turned out to be. Look at Blade Runner and Minority Report, for instance. I, Robot was surprisingly dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"