I, Robot 2?

Unfortunately, the result wasn't a kickass action movie. The movie was boring, with uninspired action direction and frankly, Will Smith just doesn't cut it as an action hero.

And praytell why its wrong to expect a faithful adaption? Sounds like the "take what you can get" mentality, which doesn't justify anything. I know nowadays adaptations are very loose, but when you get good ones, i.e. 300, Sin City, Harry Potter (to a degree) etc. the result is pretty good.
Oh there's nothing wrong with expecting a faithful adaptation, I'm just saying that a faithful adaptation of I, Robot would've probably been dull. We all say we want a thought-provoking movie nowadays, but I don't think we really know what that means. Granted the book was a classic, but I'd hardly label it as a thought-provoking concept. Maybe back when it was originally published, but even The Matrix (not considering the sequels) is more thought-provoking. No, a faithful adaption would've been a "been there, done that" type of affair. In fact, if you want to see a much closer adaption of I, Robot, then check out Bicentennial Man, or skim through the Outer Limits, you might find some gems in there as well.

Will Smith doesn't cut it as an action hero? That's probably the biggest load donkey urine this side of the planet. So what if he throws in his usual comedic moments in almost every movie he does, it works with his action movies, and he obviously takes a page from Harrison Ford's book when it comes to that.

No my friend, I don't go by that "take what you get" mentality crapola, you're so eager to label me with. I'm of the "they made the right choice in making it into a kickass movie with kickass androids" mentality, because the whole "what if my dog was android?" angle is too dull for a movie. The movie rocked hands down, it was one of the few brief moments of this current decade where one could actually have fun going to the theater.

Hey Phantom, how the hell wasn't your screen name taken before then??? Awesome choice! Many people forget the ghost who walks, one of the best comic creations ever IMO.

I don't think it's too much to expect an I, Robot movie to be a little smarter than the typical blockbuster it turned out to be. Look at Blade Runner and Minority Report, for instance. I, Robot was surprisingly dumb.

I could see an argument made for I, Robot and Blade Runner as they are both science fiction noirs, but if you really look into I, Robot you'll find that they are some interesting questions being asked, like with the Three Laws in place, could a robot really be capable of killing? And what are the repercussions of commanding a robot to kill? Or one of my favorite questions brought up in the movie, if a robot had the option of saving an adult or a child, and it calculated that chances for the adult's survival were greater, would the robot be able to also calculate the social implications of saving the adult and not the child? What was Minority Report essentially? A movie about a timecop who's wanted for a murder that he hasn't yet committed? As intelligent as that sounds its another fugitive/thriller type movie set in the future, hardly anything thought-provoking. Just because it was directed by Spielberg doesn't mean it is better than I, Robot, although it was a good movie.

I've been a fan of the phantom for ages, better than batman!

I disliked Blade Runner:wow: for just that. It wasn't an action movie, it was a thought provoking drama.
Bro, you can talk all the crap you want about I, Robot. But one thing's definitely for sure, Blade Runner is a classic, and the catalyst for a lot of the science fiction movies that we have nowadays.

Bro, you can talk all the crap you want about I, Robot. But one thing's definitely for sure, Blade Runner is a classic, and the catalyst for a lot of the science fiction movies that we have nowadays.

Pretty much. Even the soundtrack is still referenced and sampled today.

I'll say this, dude. My only major problem with Blade Runner is that there were no fight scenes. I wouldn't mind a thought provoking story if there were fights to go along with 'em. Of course, that's just me.

I'll say this, dude. My only major problem with Blade Runner is that there were no fight scenes. I wouldn't mind a thought provoking story if there were fights to go along with 'em. Of course, that's just me.

So in order for a movie to be worthwhile, it must involve some kind of fight scene? :huh:

A movie such as this, with a cop hunting fugitives. Or some kind of action. heck, even a car (or spinner) chase.

A movie such as this, with a cop hunting fugitives. Or some kind of action. heck, even a car (or spinner) chase.

You understand it's a different kind of movie, right? Not all movies fit into little cookie cutter genres, dude.

Blade Runner = neo-noir detective story. Not an action movie.

Blade Runner = neo-noir detective story. Not an action movie.

:up: Exactly. Blade Runner is a sci-fi detective story. Great movie!

Wish I, Robot was more like that.

Will Smith doesn't cut it as an action hero? That's probably the biggest load donkey urine this side of the planet. So what if he throws in his usual comedic moments in almost every movie he does, it works with his action movies, and he obviously takes a page from Harrison Ford's book when it comes to that.

Sure, he takes a page from Ford's book; the Ford who makes garbage like Firewall and Hollywood Homicide.

Now if you were to think he took a page from the same Ford that made Star Wars, Indy, and a few other movies at that time -- the Ford that is dead now -- I think the boys in white should come for you right away and get you set up for a coat fitting.

No my friend, I don't go by that "take what you get" mentality crapola, you're so eager to label me with. I'm of the "they made the right choice in making it into a kickass movie with kickass androids" mentality, because the whole "what if my dog was android?" angle is too dull for a movie. The movie rocked hands down, it was one of the few brief moments of this current decade where one could actually have fun going to the theater.

I think its the exact opposite; another junky book adaptation catered and tweaked to appease the common audience at the expense of a good, solid, thinking man's action movie. I can't think of another movie where I laughed and yawned at the banality at the same time!

The critics didn't really like it nor did the audience, as the movie barely made its budget back.

the first movie was pretty cool, but i'd wait till we could get some kind of plot description for the sequel before getting excited. it could get very old very quickly.

Hey Phantom, I bet you're just fidgeting with glee waiting for the Transformers movie, aren't you, with that robots and action fetish thing you got going on :woot:

I enjoyed the first movie, but I'm not sure if it could work for a sequel. I'll wait until there's more news about it or an actual plot synopsis before having a more concrete opinion.

Ah hell naw, where is everybody?

The first movie was great, I look forward to what's planned for this sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"