If no more middle earth movies are made, what should fill the void?

Would it be too expensive for tv though? Also, I'd like to know how many of those 305,000 words were used for describing people's outfits. I swear every coat, dress, and piece of armor in that series was described down to the finest detail.

Pretty much the reason I gave up after fifth or sixth book some time in the 90's (and I have a feeling that I probably would have given up sooner if I hadn't been new to fantasy at the time and devoured pretty much everything that was released in Sweden). Awful books.

I've disallowed most of those races (except for orcs, but I've made them CN instead of evil, and integrated them into the game world a bit more to make them allowable). Part of being a DM is saying no.
As a DM I usually disallow them too (unless I get a VERY good, not-at-all-like-Drizzt explanation and backstory for the character), as a player I have no influence on the other character concepts in my groups and all the Tiefling rogues and Drow rangers with very familiar tragic pasts

I can't even think how they'd do that without leaving out a ton.:csad:
It's almost too ambitious...it's up there in my list of wants along with The Black Company though.

Hopefully Guy Ritchies King Arthur series is good and fills the void.

Well, the studios want a franchise, it would have to be a long one like the Potter films. 8+ films. Someone would need to have balls and vision to commit to it.

After watching the first two Hobbit movies, i have no problem, that we will not get more movies from "middle earth"!
The movies were just awful - exactly what Christopher Tolkien said... it is a shame!
Peter Jackson went to far...

For me, as someone else wrote, Star Wars will fill the void - IF the movies are better than Episode 1-3 (which were another disaster - like Hobbit)!

If they also fail, there are still the great Marvel movies (and i just mean the movies made by Marvel, not Sony :) ) and it seems, that DC will have a big try too - that will be enough for the next 5-6 years!

Word. These hobbit movies are very meh.

I still love a good fantasy flick (even though the majority aren't done very well) and with the news that christopher Tolkien may block future middle earth movies I wonder what would be a great replacement for that epic action kind of movie.

To be fair, although I love middle earth it was written for a time almost a hundred years ago but a guy with a pretty colonial mindset so I would love to see more diverse casts like skyrim or dragon age had

I think we have LOTR to thank for what we are getting now in terms of CBMS and other types of films but there will be no void really since we have more or less a anything being made these days.

Maybe no more middle-earth but Fantasy/sword&sandal epics will all be around still just like they were before only thing is now LOTR proved it can be done and not be campy. They all might just evolve with the times like action movies did post Stallone and Arnie.

I've heard nothing but great things about 'Diskworld'. Think Lord of the Rings meets Monty Python or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The closest thing to an adaptation was that BBC miniseries. I'm currently downloading that as we speak.

Also, I think a few Neil Gaiman novels wouldn't hurt to adapt, with them being more of the urban fantasy types. I know that American Gods is being prepped by Starz with Bryan Fuller (He's awesome; he's on Hannibal as the show runner)

Pretty much the reason I gave up after fifth or sixth book some time in the 90's (and I have a feeling that I probably would have given up sooner if I hadn't been new to fantasy at the time and devoured pretty much everything that was released in Sweden). Awful books.

Different strokes I guess. All the detail immersed me in the story more. It only got tiresome for me when the chapter was about a character I didn't care about and I just wanted to get to the next chapter.

So could The Wheel of Time (Book 1) be condensed into one movie?

While i do want some of the unadapted fantasy stories done justice in live action, be it film or tv, i do think Hobbit will leave no void behind, we're getting a lot of fantasy nowadays, for many, Game of Thrones was more of a successor to the lord of the rings trilogy of films than these hobit movies. Moviewise there's always something related to fantasy, even the Harry Potter universe is returning with some spin-offs.

By the way, what are everyone's thoughts on Chronicles of Narnia? worth adapting the rest of the books?

By the way, what are everyone's thoughts on Chronicles of Narnia? worth adapting the rest of the books?

Yes. Silver Chair, Magician's Nephew and Last Battle would be fabulous if done right.

I know that another studio bought the rights to the fourth Narnia book..but I don't know. The series lost it's momentum a while ago.

No. The second and third movies put a nail in that coffin.

I disagree. I think the second and third were solid entries in the series.

Not only that, but they are currently scripting a Silver Chair movie and the earliest it can be released is 2018 after Walden's contract expired.

The best part is even if they end up making The Horse and His Boy or The Last Battle into films, the Pevensies can retain their current cast because they'll be substantially older in those films anyway.

However, I don't think Narnia quite belongs in this thread, as the stories are high fantasy intended for children and Middle Earth is much less so.

I've heard nothing but great things about 'Diskworld'. Think Lord of the Rings meets Monty Python or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The closest thing to an adaptation was that BBC miniseries. I'm currently downloading that as we speak.

Also, I think a few Neil Gaiman novels wouldn't hurt to adapt, with them being more of the urban fantasy types. I know that American Gods is being prepped by Starz with Bryan Fuller (He's awesome; he's on Hannibal as the show runner)

Discworld is amazing. Easily one of the best fantasy books series I've ever read including game of thrones and lord of the rings.

I also love neil gaiman's work. Apparently good omens is being adapted into a radio play soon so that should be pretty cool to look forward to

No. The second and third movies put a nail in that coffin.

Third film was bad, but Prince Caspian was quite good, what made that film fail also had to do with bad marketing and the wrong decisions.

Now that Disney doesn't have Narnia, should they try having a go at The Chronicles of Prydain? They had an animated adaptation that has now gained some cult following, seems like it could also be a bit darker than usual for fantasy films for kids, in least since around the 80s (HP had its moments, but when it started getting darker, the demographic slowly became centered around teens).

Here's an interesting essay about how to adapt Wheel of Time into a TV series.

http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/the wheel of television

No matter if it's a TV shows or movie, there will have to be cuts made..obvously.

Good read. I'm still not convinced even a cable show budget could do the series justice, but it's undeniable tv would be better for preserving the storyline, characters, etc.

They should make an animated tv series.

I can dream, can't I?

I can see why studios are hesitating.

I guess it's the question of the endgame: Do they want just to adapt the first book? Or do they want to do all of the books (which is impossible)?

Dune & perhaps a more proper The Sword Of Truth adaption

I can see why studios are hesitating.

I guess it's the question of the endgame: Do they want just to adapt the first book? Or do they want to do all of the books (which is impossible)?

Yeah, seems like Universal is just going to let the rights expire. If that happens I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up on tv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"