If no more middle earth movies are made, what should fill the void?

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
I still love a good fantasy flick (even though the majority aren't done very well) and with the news that christopher Tolkien may block future middle earth movies I wonder what would be a great replacement for that epic action kind of movie.

To be fair, although I love middle earth it was written for a time almost a hundred years ago but a guy with a pretty colonial mindset so I would love to see more diverse casts like skyrim or dragon age had

On TV youll still har Game of Thrones for the next few yeas.

On the movie front, Warcraft, if successful, can fill in the void and kill two birds with one stone: a quality high fantasy franchise...and..and quality video game adaptation!

Legend of Zelda adaptation, starring Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Link!

Well, honestly, I always felt like LotR came in right around the time that I was figuring out the Star Wars prequels were a bust, so the Middle Earth movies were already filling the Star Wars void for me (and the Hobbit movies haven't really done much for that, tbh). If Star Wars comes back with a vengeance next year, then as far as I'm concerned there is no void, lol.

But yeah, I think the upcoming batch of video game adaptations actually have the potential to be the first GOOD video game-based movies ever, and if any one of those spawns a good franchise (Warcraft, Assassins Creed, Uncharted), then those combined with the Star Wars and ongoing superhero franchises will give me more than enough fantastical adventure and will almost certainly leave me with zero longing for Middle Earth.

There's also a return to the Harry Potter-verse coming up too, but I bit more wary of that one, largely because I don't yet know anything about it, really. But that was a VERY rich universe with plenty of potentially good stories left in it, imo, so it could spawn a new franchise, too.

That said, I'm still waiting on my Dark Tower adaptation. Zelda would be cool, too.

I hope Warcraft is a success personally.

isnt it just funny how if Hobbit was good Warcraft would have no problem jumping on that badwagon and make an insane amount of money? but because the Hobbit franchise is SOOOOO boring Warcraft will not have it easy.

Well it's produced by Legendary Pictures and i think WETA is making the VFX, so they should market it like "from the studio that brought you 300 and the studio that created middle-earth" that should work?

300's action scenery should work beneficial towards promoting Warcraft, even if Warcraft wouldn't have a single slow-mo action sequence.

After watching the first two Hobbit movies, i have no problem, that we will not get more movies from "middle earth"!
The movies were just awful - exactly what Christopher Tolkien said... it is a shame!
Peter Jackson went to far...

For me, as someone else wrote, Star Wars will fill the void - IF the movies are better than Episode 1-3 (which were another disaster - like Hobbit)!

If they also fail, there are still the great Marvel movies (and i just mean the movies made by Marvel, not Sony :) ) and it seems, that DC will have a big try too - that will be enough for the next 5-6 years!

I do hope Warcraft turns out to be a success!

Also I want a Shadow of the colossus movie to be made, though I don't know how could Sony adapt it to a movie.

Berserk_wallpaper_o_filme.jpg

Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them trilogy

More films based on fairy tales (Cinderella won't be the last)

A bunch of YA/children book adaptions. The sequel to Maze Runner will be out next year (I think).
Artemis Fowl is in pre-prod. And if we're lucky, there might be more Narnia adventures.

There's also Magic: The Gathering as well, with one of the Game of Thrones writers working on the script. We'll see where that goes.

There are a lot of fantasy and science fiction books that could be good epic movies. Problem is that these books probably aren't popular enough to make movie companies interested in making big budget adaptations. Sadly they just seem to be focused on finding the next YA-phenomenon at the moment.

On TV youll still har Game of Thrones for the next few yeas.

On the movie front, Warcraft, if successful, can fill in the void and kill two birds with one stone: a quality high fantasy franchise...and..and quality video game adaptation!

I'm actually one of the few people who aren't crazy for game of thrones

Legend of Zelda adaptation, starring Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Link!

Oh wow yeah that would do it!

I hope Warcraft is a success personally.

That's a good suggestion too! Definitely something to look forward to

Correct, as is Baldur's Gate.

Would love if they could do a good film set in the Forgotten Realms. It could be a huge universe.

Drizzt, Elminster etc... There are loads of films they could do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"