Sequels If you had to choose between Spider-Man 4, TASM3 and another MCU Spidey film

FeedOnATreeFrog

(A Metal Gear reference)
Reaction score
If we could only get Raimi's Spidey 4, TASM3, or another MCU Spidey 4, which would you pick?

I feel like NWH works well as a final sendoff for Toby and Andrew's Spider-men, but for Tom's Spider-man it feels like he just finally started to get his bearings straight. It would be incredibly jarring to just cut off his story now. So I'd pick the one we're already gonna get.

We need an ASM 3 and a Tom Holland Spider-Man 4...

This is a hard question. I think I want another Amazing Spider-Man the most, but I want optimal conditions. I want Feige in control or at least Lord and Miller. If it fails under them I'd rather that than Sony getting their paws all over it.

Outside of that yes I want Holland's Spider-man 4.

MCU Spider-Man, of course. That’s the current version and it would be weird to stop that to go back to a previous version.

BUT

I would totally be down to have the MCU Spider-Man and the ASM universe on the big screen at the same time. I think with all the multiverse stuff, people can handle two different versions at the same time without any confusion.

I think the window for a fourth Raimi Spider-Man is closed. I could not picture that cast wanting to come back for a whole film, and I think the Garfield series deserves it more, tbh.

MCU Spidey 4 >>> ASM 3 > SM4

To clarify, I'd like to see all of them *for sure*. But MCU spidey seems to have the most potential. I can't wait to see Peter grow into his role for 1 or 2 more films and eventually mentor a young Miles Morales.

ASM3 would tie up a lot of loose ends for that character so I'd be stoked about it. And SM4 sounds fun, but that trilogy got wrapped up fairly decently.

I think the window for a fourth Raimi Spider-Man is closed. I could not picture that cast wanting to come back for a whole film, and I think the Garfield series deserves it more, tbh.

I don't know about that. Maguire apparently wanted Peter's post SM-3 history pretty vague when they were writing his scenes for NWH (which makes me think he's open to one more solo film) and Kirsten Dunst is game to play MJ again. The thing is whether Raimi wants to do SM-4 after wrapping DS2 -- and Maguire and Dunst's involvement is contingent on that.

I don't know if Marc Webb would return for TASM3, but I imagine he would want creative freedom. I don't think it would be a problem to find a new director for TASM3, provided he/she click with Garfield and Marvel Studios.

If I had to choose, it would be Raimi's SM-4 with Tobey and Kirsten returning.

I can't believe TASM 3 is winning, where were you people when I was getting into daily arguments defending the series on this forum back in the day? :funny:

For me, that's definitely the one that feels like it could benefit most from another movie. The Raimi trilogy felt like it wrapped things up nicely while TASM 2 felt like it ended in the middle of a story and I'd love to see it concluded.

But seriously though... why not all three? :D

But seriously though... why not all three? :D

I agree.

Tom Holland, bless him, deserves a 2-3 year break from playing Spider-Man. NWH left his character in a good if tenuous spot -- which gives the studios an opportunity to utilize Garfield and Maguire again.

If Sony does team up with Marvel to do TASM3, they need to do a soft reboot. Jettison Dane De Haan's Harry Osborn and that Sinister Six setup, but acknowledge Gwen's death and explore Peter's turmoil. Let Kevin Feige call the shots and give Garfield a quality script to work off.

MyTimeToShineHello said that Sony wants Maguire and Garfield for a Spider-Men film -- and right now I'd like to see that more than a Tom Holland SM-4.

Definitely all three. But I'd want to see TASM3 the most. That story is the most incomplete and needs that sequel. SM3 was not the perfect movie, but it wrapped up Tobey's arc pretty well. Holland obviously has a lot more to do so I definitely want to see that.

But I just liked Garfield's version a lot and that's the one I really want to see.

I think that the best, for me personally, would be a reboot, but I rather see Raimi's Spider-Man 4 than another Amazing SM or Homecoming movie...

We need an ASM 3 and a Tom Holland Spider-Man 4...

Why?

I agree.

Tom Holland, bless him, deserves a 2-3 year break from playing Spider-Man. NWH left his character in a good if tenuous spot -- which gives the studios an opportunity to utilize Garfield and Maguire again.

It didn't really leave his character in a good spot at all. Other than that he finally learned what with great power with great responsibility means.

At this point, neither TASM3 or SM4 make sense. You risk over exposing the property by having 3 different solo Spider-Man franchises going at once. If Tom Holland is the future, then only Tom Holland solos make sense

Well. MCU Spiderman 4 with Tom Holland project is confirmed!

We have 4 Spiderman sagas in marvel-live-mayhem-multiverse
Holland from MCU mainstream
Raimiverse
Amazingverse
Sonyverse

Venom 3 and Kraven are confirmed in Sonyverse

I dont think they will continue 2 previous sagas : TobeySpidey 4 and Amazing Spidey 3, it could piss them off.
Sure we want to know what happens when they come back to their respective universe, we want to see sinister6 in Amazing verse (versions of Octopus, Vulture, Kraven, Chameleon in Webb version) but forget about this, Sony wont make it.
Maybe Garfield already fought against siniters6, when he went into berserk mode as he told in NWH

lol I hate you I dont know what to pick. Garfield I love I think if he had better writing he would be the RDJ of spiderman and even has someone that liked amazing spiderman 1 and 2 from the leaks years ago I think amazing spiderman 3 was going to be like Catwoman level bad if it had happened so I dont trust amazing spiderman 3 would be good unless some how marvel made it instead of sony or something. Spiderman 4 with rami I would love because I hate that we never got to see how that would have turned out. MCU spiderman 4 can go a lot of interesting ways based of how the last movie end.

I would be very cautious about what a new Raimi Spider-Man would actually turn out to be. Going back to the well rarely works out.

... that said, I'd still prefer that to the other options, ha.

I like Andrew Garfield but the Amazing series was garbage. I don't want to see that universe again. Whatever threads are left over, I'm sure they were all leading to something terrible.

I also like Tom Holland, but I'm pretty sick of MCU Spider-Man at this point. Homecoming was pretty good, not a huge fan of the other two. I know people have been quite optimistic about the future with how NWH left off, it didn't have the same effect on me.

Spider-Man 4 was a dream for me for years, but I think its time has passed and it would only rely on nostalgia now. I would still be there opening night to watch it, though. I like the first The Amazing Spider-Man, hate the second one and I really liked Garfield's appearance in No Way Home, showing he has potential with the right direction, so I'd be interested in seeing more from him. Honestly, I'd take any of these two options rather than the MCU one. I'm interested in seeing the new version of Holland's Spider-Man, but I think as long as he's in the MCU the quality will be good but somewhat limited. I really don't care for the safe formulaic approach.

TASM2 was SO bad, I might not have gone to see the next one and I'm pretty sure the studio realized I wasn't alone. I would have gone and seen a 4th Raimi movie even though I think the 3rd was a big step down from the first 2. Since 3 rather wrapped things up nicely, I will say, and voted, MCU Spidey because there is clearly more to tell in future movies.

TASM3 by a long shot.

At least the Raimi trilogy, such as it was, was a true trilogy. Especially with the Harry Osborn stuff. We've seen Holland's Spider-Man so often outside of his solo films that there's never really been any time to get tired of or miss his character. But the Webb films, even with No Way Home, feel practically forgotten and lost in the shuffle.

Of the three, Garfield embodies the most of what I'd want to see in Spider-Man compared to Maguire and Holland. That and I feel he's the best overall actor of the three, so it would be great to see him get another shot. Or at least a wrap-up to his arc. While I'm not a fan of TASM2, I do still like a lot about the first Amazing Spider-Man and believe the Peter/Gwen romance does circles around the romantic angles of the Raimi and Watts films. Not a fair comparison since Garfield and Emma Stone were actually dating, but still.

I know people have been quite optimistic about the future with how NWH left off, it didn't have the same effect on me.

Thats because alot of people see the ending as the birth of Spider-man. Like it took 7-8 movies for him to become Spider-man and now is when his story starts... But really thats not true at all. He has had 7-8 movies of him being Spider-man. So really he already has a whole wiki of history and characters.

Personally id like to see Garfield complete his trilogy. Although i don't think we will get TASM3 though. He will probably pop up in another movie as spider-man down the line though (IMO)

Tobey. While i have never been a huge fan of Tobey, I thought he was ok in NWH. There was abit more personality to him as he bounced off the other 2 and i like the fact they were different to each other. But i don't think Tobey came out of NWH as the most interesting out of the 3. I think Nostalgia might have clouded alot of views on the build up to the movie when everyone thought he would automatically be the stand-out.

But its probably not the last time we will see Toby as Spider-man (IMO)

Last edited:
Oh look. Another poll where Andrew is winning! :grin:

No to Spider-Man 4. Spider-Man 3 was complete trash. A stain on the franchise. Not to mention the Peter/MJ relationship was awful in those films. I really don't want to see more of that nonsense.

I think Tobey got a nice sendoff in No Way Home. Maybe we'll see him again but going forward, Holland is the future. Probably Miles too.

But i don't think Tobey came out of NWH as the most interesting out of the 3. I think Nostalgia might have clouded alot of views on the build up to the movie when everyone thought he would automatically be the stand-out.

I don't know if I'd agree. I haven't seen much disappointment or anything regarding Maguire's Peter. I think Garfield had a great reception because of the redemption that was baked into his return, both in a meta sense (he gets to be in something not terrible) and in the story itself (he gets to save the girl this time). In a strange twist, the failure of TASM gave Garfield's Peter more to work with, and more to pay off with his return.

I don't know if I'd agree. I haven't seen much disappointment or anything regarding Maguire's Peter.

I didn't say he was disappointing in NWH. But people thought he would automatically be the stand-out. And while he was good, he wasn't the stand out people thought he would be next to Tom and Andrew. I think people expect this beam of light when he walks in. This charisma of Tobey to take over the screen... but thats just not his character, and they captured a more mature version of his character fairly well.

I think Garfield had a great reception because of the redemption that was baked into his return, both in a meta sense (he gets to be in something not terrible) and in the story itself (he gets to save the girl this time). In a strange twist, the failure of TASM gave Garfield's Peter more to work with, and more to pay off with his return.

I disagree. I remember someone, before the films release saying that the concern was that it would feel like Toby and Tom and Andrew would be just be the one no one cared about. And funny enough he probably got 2 of the biggest crowd moments in the film. One from his entrance, which helps if you already knew who he was. And the other his redemption, which for the reaction to really work you would have to have some emotional connection to what his redemption is for. aka people wanted Andrew to save MJ and redeem himself for the death of gwen from TASM2. it wasn't about redemption from films you might feel are bad.

And then Andrew won the critic's choice award for NWH. And i see a few argue it should have been Tom because he was the main character.

Last edited:
I agree regarding Tobey. I love Tobey and he is still MY Spider-man but he for sure wasnt the standout out of the 3 Spideys. I think we all assumed going into NWH that his return was going to be treated with big fanfare, him coming out swinging to that iconic Elfman theme blasting through the speakers or something but they went with a different more subtle approach. And i think they purposely toned Tobey down so that people kept the focus on Holland.

I disagree. I remember someone, before the films release saying that the concern was that it would feel like Toby and Tom and Andrew would be just be the one no one cared about. And funny enough he probably got 2 of the biggest crowd moments in the film. one from his entrance, which helps if you already knew who he was. And the other his redemption, which for the reaction to really work you would have to have some emotional connection to what his redemption is for. aka people wanted Andrew to save MJ and redeem himself for the death of gwen from TASM2. it wasn't about redemption from films you might feel are bad.

And then Andrew won the critics choice award for NWH. and Many argued it should have been Tom because he was the main character and had the most emotional scenes.

As I already said, Garfield had the odd benefit of being from the failed franchise, both in the meta sense and the plot itself. Him saving the girl worked in this because it built on his failure to do so before and because his series failed so badly that it left behind the unresolved threads for this film to pick up on. He had an underdog charm. NWH absolutely played on the meta aspect that his films were bad. Multiple times in fact. That's why he was Peter 3 and it was played for laughs, why Tobey stopped to tell him he was 'amazing', and why his reveal came before Tobey's. I can't speak for everyone's experiences but he did not get the bigger pop in my cinema.

None of this is to say that Garfield wasn't great. He was a lot of fun, and I was glad to see him get some form of redemption. Maguire's Peter didn't really have much to chew on, his role was the more dry, well-adjusted and experienced Peter, and his take was always pretty low-key anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"