Sequels If you had to choose between Spider-Man 4, TASM3 and another MCU Spidey film

NWH absolutely played on the meta aspect that his films were bad. Multiple times in fact. That's why he was Peter 3 and it was played for laughs, why Tobey stopped to tell him he was 'amazing', and why his reveal came before Tobey's. I can't speak for everyone's experiences but he did not get the bigger pop in my cinema.

I heard he came before Toby because Andrew mask is actually more similar to Toms and they wanted the audience to be unsure if it was Tom in the distance running up to them. Which is why the face reveal is so quick because everyone went crazy when he took his mask off in the reveal, even though they already see the costume. That whole scene was playing with the audience.

And tobey telling him he was amazing was clearly aimed at the fact his films are called "The Amazing Spiderman". Thats about as Meta as it gets.

And It was Andrew who played Peter 3 for laughs. His reaction was improvised on set and kept in.

It would be like saying all the jokes at Tobey's organic webbing were there to take digs at it. When i think it was played more for fun. Like the weirdness of it was acknowledged. But the characters thought it was cool so it wasn't ripping on Tobys spider-man for having it. Which is a balance really. its not the writers taking a dig at the organic web-shooters, they are just playing on their differences.

Last edited:
I heard he came before Toby because Andrew mask is actually more similar to Toms and they wanted the audience to be unsure if it was Tom in the distance running up to them. Which is why the face reveal is so quick because everyone went crazy when he took his mask off in the reveal, even though they already see the costume. That whole scene was playing with the audience.

And tobey telling him he was amazing was clearly aimed at the fact his films are called "The Amazing Spiderman". Thats about as Meta as it gets.

And It was Andrew who played Peter 3 for laughs. His reaction was improvised on set and kept in.

It would be like saying all the jokes at Tobey's organic webbing were there to take digs at it. When i think it was played more for fun. Like the weirdness of it was acknowledged. But the characters thought it was cool so it wasn't ripping on Tobys spider-man for having it. Which is a balance really. its not the writers taking a dig at the organic web-shooters, they are just playing on their differences.

Well that certainly is a take.

Re: The 'amazing' comments. Obviously it's a play on the title of his films, but the whole conversation is built around Garfield's character feeling insecure about how crappy his stories were. If you don't believe NWH played on the reception to those films, I don't know what to tell you. It was very clearly there.

I flat out don't believe Garfield appearing first was down to his suit looking sort of similar. They were setting up reveals for a build up of audience reactions, which worked like a charm in my theatre.

Last edited:
Re: The 'amazing' comments. Obviously it's a play on the title of his films, but the whole conversation is built around Garfield's character feeling insecure about how crappy his stories were. If you don't believe NWH played on the reception to those films, I don't know what to tell you. It was very clearly there.

Thats an interpretation certainly. I mean my first interpretation of Toby and his back line was that it was a dig on how he lied about his back to get more money for Spider-man 2. and then almost or replaced. Before having to convince Sony to bring him back. You know a dig at how embarrassing that was of him? or maybe it was just a line from SM2. Probably was just a line from SM2. but it did cross my mind. That doesn't mean it was the intention. I don't believe for 1 moment the writers were taking digs at either of them. it was all in fun.

Where you get your saltwater jokes for Doc Ock, you also get your tee hee "amazing", amazing spider-man! get it? not so great jokes.

I flat out don't believe Garfield appearing first was down to his suit looking sort of similar. They were setting up reveals for a build up of audience reactions, which worked like a charm in my theatre.

How is that not the same thing? The way it was directed you weren't meant to know it was andrew from a distance. We was meant to think it was Tom until he jumps through the portal.

I have even heard some say they still were not sure it was Andrew even after he jumped through the portal. They still thought it was Tom.

Last edited:
Andrew just out acted Tobey. Nothing wrong with that. He's the better actor. I'm just glad they both got good sendoffs.

Honestly, I'm sort of interested on Tom Holland's next trilogy other than Raimi's Spider-Man 4 and Webb's TASM3 since those two might be meddled by Sony again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"