• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Iron Fist IGN: Iron Fist is the most binge-watched MCU show.

Silver Surfer

Power Cosmic
Reaction score
Despite the show's poor critical reception, Marvel's Iron Fist is this year's most binge-watched drama on Netflix.

According to a report by 7Park Data (via Variety), Iron Fist's March 17 premiere was the most binge-watched of 2017 so far for Netflix, accounting for 14.6 percent of all Netflix streams that day. For comparison, Stranger Things' premiere accounted only for 4 percent of all streams, while Marvel's Daredevil Season 2 took up 13.8 percent of Netflix's streams.

7Park Data's numbers also show that 54.7 percent of Iron Fist's streams were of episodes three or higher, while an average hour-long Netflix drama has a binge score of 46.9 percent.

"The actual streams data tells us that what critics consider the best shows and what streaming viewers consider the best are sometimes two very different things," said 7Park Data senior analyst Christopher Coby.
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/03/31/marvels-iron-fist-was-netflixs-most-binge-watched-drama

Yeah, so a season 2 is definitely happening...

That's good to know, particularly the episode three or higher part (I thought it was inevitable people would check out the show, but less certain they'd stick with it). I hope they don't ignore the more constructive feedback and improve the show, but I definitely think it's worth a second season and this is encouraging for that.

Good to know that it was successful! I didn't think it was a great season but definitely worth watching and I'd love another season.

Well I finally got around to watching this and I don't understand all the hate. Why am I supposed to not like this? I mean Marvel was bound to have a critical dud sooner or later and the show certainly needs to improve for season 2 but I don't believe it deserves the drubbing it's received at all. I quite enjoyed it and liked it better than Jessica Jones (still haven't watched Luke Cage yet). Not saying it's superior to JJ (JJ certainly has the most one the most terrifying villains Marvel has ever done) but I just liked it more personally. My biggest regret is reading any reviews before I watched it.

Glad to see it did well enough to warrant another season. Hopefully Marvel learns from its missteps here and delivers a home run season 2 to give Danny his rightful due in the Netflix pantheon.

Well I finally got around to watching this and I don't understand all the hate. Why am I supposed to not like this? I mean Marvel was bound to have a critical dud sooner or later and the show certainly needs to improve for season 2 but I don't believe it deserves the drubbing it's received at all. I quite enjoyed it and liked it better than Jessica Jones (still haven't watched Luke Cage yet). Not saying it's superior to JJ (JJ certainly has the most one the most terrifying villains Marvel has ever done) but I just liked it more personally. My biggest regret is reading any reviews before I watched it.

Glad to see it did well enough to warrant another season. Hopefully Marvel learns from its missteps here and delivers a home run season 2 to give Danny his rightful due in the Netflix pantheon.

Its interesting, I felt like the reviews were much kinder then they should have been. I cant find a single thing that was well executed on the show, other then Ward Meachem's character.

I felt the same way and particularly liked the first 2 or 3 episodes. As time went on, I sort of felt Danny acted rather stupidly (rashly) for someone with 15 years of training, but WTH.

I wonder if it was also just the most started Netflix show...

They specified that the numbers that got at least to episode three are quite high. So I can't speak for completed (if people do one a week, we aren't close to them being done), but it isn't people giving up after the first episode.

Cool :up::up:

I actually dug this show and maybe it was cause my expectations were lower, but it was much more entertaining then I'd thought it would be. Most my friends really like it too and binged it immediately.

So stoked this is doing good overall, the hate on this from certain sides of the net just bashing it cause he's a white dude has been ridiculous and very hypocritical. Even more angering is it always seems to be from people who know next to nothing about the character .

Danny's a great character and has much more potential from the source so I do hope they up the material in Defenders and Season 2. Really looking forward to what they do with him and Cage. They have to make sure that relationship is done well.

Last edited:
Marvel has set a certain standard for itself.

This was wayyyyyyyy below said standard.

Dont do a 2nd season just based on binge watching numbers. Only do it if you are ready to fix what needs fixing.

Get a new showrunner who will embrace the classic Iron Fist comics.

The binge numbers are obviously due to a combination of "car wreck curiosity" and folks who wanted to support it in defiance of the critical response, especially those who said the lead should be Asian. Similar effect as with BatmanvSuperman and Suicide Squad.

$ucce$$$. Now if only Netflix would put more money for these Marvel shows, because they look really low budget.

I can kind of see it. It seemed more of an issue with Iron Fist. We saw next to nothing of K'un L'un, and no Shao Lao.

I don't understand how Netflix can spend a 100 million on Marco Polo when it does half the viewer numbers that Iron Fist does, but refuses to dish out cash for K'un L'un.

I suspect part of it is that they are filming in New York (so it's more expensive anyway) and part of it is that they're spending a decent chunk of change total for all the shows so they're spreading it thinner.

The binge numbers are obviously due to a combination of "car wreck curiosity" and folks who wanted to support it in defiance of the critical response, especially those who said the lead should be Asian. Similar effect as with BatmanvSuperman and Suicide Squad.

Haha hope that's sarcasm

BvS made money cause it had Batman. That thing was locked. Should have actually made more based on that. Suicide Squad had Joker, Halrey Quinn and Batman. That's probably the easiest sell there is out there for DC. Brand name sells along with solid trailers and those are the most popular hero and villains they have. Those numbers may seem decent, but they should have been hitting closer to a billion.

People want to like Iron Fist, controversy hit and sure that had an effect but this series had it's fans baked based on brand and series reputation. With TV though those numbers will only be there for so long. This was binged. Meaning viewers were invested.

Viewers are not just binging shows they don't like. They will stop at Ep 1 if they truly think it sucked. I mean are people thinking everyone hated Iron Fist but it was so topical they binged watched it? That is just not the case with your average viewer at all. Truth is the majority don't give af about the controversy. They care about "New Marvel Netflix Show".

Last edited:
I would say there's probably a core group of people who would watch it no matter what (either as completists or as dedicated followers of the comics), but it won't be the overwhelming majority (particularly given the inconsistent numbers between these shows). They also would be much slower at watching. If they felt like they had to get through it, they'd have four-five months.

I suspect part of it is that they are filming in New York (so it's more expensive anyway) and part of it is that they're spending a decent chunk of change total for all the shows so they're spreading it thinner.
I believe the original deal with netflix was for 60, approx. hour long, episodes of content. 4 first season with 13 episodes each with 8 episodes for defenders. If the shows are successful, they get renewed. So probably gave Marvel a large sum of money for those initial 60, which by the time Iron Fist rolled around was probably starting to dwindle specially when you have to remember they still had to make Defenders and make it spectacular. I can easily see them reasoning to cut IF budget to make Defenders more grand.

Still we don't know if they went over budget or just did what they could to avoid going over budget. Fortunately when the shows are renewed Netflix and Marvel can negotiate for larger budgets for each separate show. So the budget for Daredevil season 2 won't effect the budget for Jessica Jones season 2. Basically say "This is how much it actually cost us to make season 1, we'd like to go bigger for season 2" And Netflix says "this how much we're willing to give". Marvel can argue, Iron Fist did really well despite poor early reviews and controversy, if we change creative teams, get a better budget to do some of the things fans want to see you can have a real hit on your hands. On the other hand Netflix could just say it's success was due to the previous three shows, the controversies (whether justified or not) hurt our public image, and the series can't be saved. But I find that unlikely.

I would say there's probably a core group of people who would watch it no matter what (either as completists or as dedicated followers of the comics), but it won't be the overwhelming majority (particularly given the inconsistent numbers between these shows). They also would be much slower at watching. If they felt like they had to get through it, they'd have four-five months.

I'm definitely one of those completest, Marvel has fully won me over with the MCU. They've just had shown amazingly consistent quality that I'm willing to give anything a chance. Their branding as a production company is at an all time high. I'm certain a lot of viewers just saw the marvel logo and said "I'll give it a shot".

Also remember not everyone frequents review site and forums as much as us. I'm sure a ton of people who watched it had no idea of the reviews or the source material and just felt like checking out the new netflix original.

I don't understand how Netflix can spend a 100 million on Marco Polo when it does half the viewer numbers that Iron Fist does, but refuses to dish out cash for K'un L'un.

They had $200 million for the four shows and Defenders, so they probably had to divide it up equally and couldn't spend more on Iron Fist.

So...Netflix spent 100 million on one show that isnt successful...but is only spending 40 million each on their most successful shows ever? Success should result in a larger investment...so future seasons and shows deserve to have budget increases.

I think that 200 number was just for the first seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the budgets increase going forward. Season 2 of DD looked like it may have had an increase.

We'll see. A second season of Iron Fist hasn't been announced yet even.

I know it's only been 2 months but what does the info says. Is Iron Fist the most viewed Netflix series so far? Did the negative reviews have no impact on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"