In Blackest Night... The Official Jessica Cruz Thread

Juan1193

Sidekick
Reaction score
tumblr_o7r327idbu1skel9ko4_1280.jpg

Ms Cruz is a new and recent addition to the GL mythos and DC family but in the short time she's been around she has managed to make quite the impact! She is co leading a GL book as well and is a member of the current Justice League in the comics. She seems to be getting quite the push! This thread will serve as her official discussion thread, in the same way Hal, John and Kyle have theres.

So my question is what do you think her chances are of showing up in GLC or the DCEU in general? Surely her chances are greater than the likes of Guy Gardner or Simon Baz? Discuss....

Last edited:
Surely her chances are greater than the likes of Guy Gardner

Really? I think Guy has a way better chance of appearing than Kyle, Jess, or Simon.

I would be down for seeing Jessica at some point though. Even though she's barely a character right now, I'm all for some female human GLs. (I'd also be fine with gender-bending characters. Kylie Rayner?)

Guy Gardner has a far greater chance of being in a movie than her

He's actually a well developed character, while Jessica is just "Green Lantern: girl version" currently

I don't need to ever see Jessica Cruz,

Hal
John
Guy
Kyle

That's enough for me

Don't mean to come off as a Dick but she is brand new, the other GLS deserve live action treatment far more

I wouldn't be opposed to her introduction I just don't really need it

Really? I think Guy has a way better chance of appearing than Kyle, Jess, or Simon.

I would be down for seeing Jessica at some point though. Even though she's barely a character right now, I'm all for some female human GLs. (I'd also be fine with gender-bending characters. Kylie Rayner?)

Yeah I think she stands a greater chance of appearing than them for several reasons.

1)She's a blank slate so far
2)Geoff Johns created her
3)She's a female
4)She's a Latina
5)DC seems to really be pushing her.

Lol at Kylie Rayner xD just use Jessica hahaha. I'm trying to find a Latina who could play her though...

Well they are pushing both her and Simon Baz, but realistically speaking at least initially they would start with Hal Jordan and John Stewart. I think she has as good of a chance to show up at a later time as any non-Hal and non-John character does. For instance I don't mind seeing Rayner and her show up at the same time.

Well they are pushing both her and Simon Baz, but realistically speaking at least initially they would start with Hal Jordan and John Stewart. I think she has as good of a chance to show up at a later time as any non-Hal and non-John character does. For instance I don't mind seeing Rayner and her show up at the same time.

I hope that if Baz ever shows up, they don't put him in that stupid mask. He looks like Phoenix Jones in that dumb thing.

So you guys don't think she will appear in GLC? I feel like she will. It's just a hunch i have haha

I also hope we get some GL news at Comic Con

So you guys don't think she will appear in GLC? I feel like she will. It's just a hunch i have haha

I also hope we get some GL news at Comic Con.

I want to see Baz & Cruz come into the DCEU as a team. But it be smart to give the comics a chance to flesh out and give these two some life first. Post JL2 which is in 4 years we'll be getting the GLC movie. I think it's long enough for these two develop actual personalities and ticks and maybe even a following. Hopefully Green Lanterns Rebirth stay quality and popular until then.

I also hope we get some GL news at Comic Con

I wouldn't rule out any of the Earth Lanterns at this point. Since she's co-starring in her own title right now, DC might be positioning her for something big down the line. Plus, the current DCEU JL has only one female hero, and we know that won't last.

She's also currently a member of the Justice League as well. Plus wasn't there a rumor saying DC was going to use 3 GL's with the third being the youngest and rookie. Jessica easily fits that although i think the rumor was talking about Kyle

But who could play her? I love Gina Rodriguez so I always seem to suggest her for roles. I would love to see Jessica on screen. More than Hal to be honest

There are plenty of young Latina actresses out there so she would be relatively easy to cast. Also since Geoff Johns, her creator, has a big role in the DCEU I can see her popping up even more now.

Added bonus of using her is that she adds more diversity to the DCEU (being a Latina) and is a relative blank slate (ie less complaints about character portrayal).

Well to be honest, diversity isn't really a specific reason for her to be part of the DCEU, because the Green Lantern franchise is the most diversified brand in comics. Hal - Jewish, Alan - gay, Kyle - Hispanic, John - African-American, Guy - Irish, Baz - Lebanese, Jessica - Latina. Any of these characters can be used to provide more diversity.

Agreed about her being a blank slate though. That's the same advantage Stewart had on the JL cartoon. He was a character who up until that point had never been a member of the League and they could take him in any direction they wanted.

That's true. The GL franchise is very diverse. The thing about Jessica though is that she's the only female listed amongst all those names so she ticks two boxes. However I don't think a character should solely be used because they provide diversity, that's just selling a character short, but because they have a lot to add to the story being told and the DCEU in general.

I think Jessica's chances of being included are relatively high due to her creator having a huge impact on the DCEU and like I said early shes a blank slate. It also helps that she seems to building a solid fanbase.

She's also currently a member of the Justice League as well. Plus wasn't there a rumor saying DC was going to use 3 GL's with the third being the youngest and rookie. Jessica easily fits that although i think the rumor was talking about Kyle

Hmm, I could be down for a Hal, John, and Jessica team up.

That's true. The GL franchise is very diverse. The thing about Jessica though is that she's the only female listed amongst all those names so she ticks two boxes. However I don't think a character should solely be used because they provide diversity, that's just selling a character short, but because they have a lot to add to the story being told and the DCEU in general.

Of course, I just wanted to point out that as far as diversity goes, all of these characters provide that aspect.

I think Jessica's chances of being included are relatively high due to her creator having a huge impact on the DCEU and like I said early shes a blank slate. It also helps that she seems to building a solid fanbase.

Well I think she needs a bit more stories first. By all means if they have plans for her to show up down the line, then have her show up. From a personal standpoint I think the first GL to show up absolutely has to be Hal. And if not him then John. But if Jessica does show up, let her earn it first. Build her up, let her have a more solid foundation in the comics, rather than rush to use her just because she is a woman or because she is Johns' baby and all of that. You know what I mean, right? I like the idea of her showing up, but I think she needs a bit more mileage first.

Last edited:
That's true and those are some valid points. Green Lantern Corps is a long way off though, so they have plenty of time to build her up. An added bonus is that she's currently appearing in 2 different titles 4 times a month (Green Lanterns and Justice League) so she's certainly getting a push and a lot of exposure.

As for the movie, I'm about 99% certain that Hal Jordan and John Stewart will both be used so the only question that remains is if they'll use anybody else...

I'm about 99% certain that Hal Jordan and John Stewart will both be used so the only question that remains is if they'll use anybody else...

I'd say either Kyle or Jessica. I'm not a huge fan of Guy and the less we talk about Simon, the better.

I'd say either Kyle or Jessica. I'm not a huge fan of Guy and the less we talk about Simon, the better.
Yeah those are my thoughts too, Kyle or Jessica. Although if it were up to me I'd go with Jessica. A team up movie with Hal, John and Jessica just seems really cool, especially if Jessica is the youngest.

Do you think they could still get Penelope Cruz to play her? I just adore her and I've wanted her to play a comic book role since Nine (I originally wanted to see her play Catwoman)

If Jessica is there, it's reasonable to assume that she would be a younger recruit, therefore I don't see them casting an actress in her 40s. If it was early 2000s Penelope Cruz, obviously it would've been a different story. I'm thinking it's totally possible for Jordan or Stewart to be in their 40s, but Kyle Rayner or Jessica Cruz? No way.

Last edited:
Do you think they could still get Penelope Cruz to play her? I just adore her and I've wanted her to play a comic book role since Nine (I originally wanted to see her play Catwoman)

As cool as Penelope Cruz is I don't see her being cast as Jessica Cruz. Jessica will likely be a younger recruit in the DCEU like in the comics. So I see WB casting a young up and coming Latina actress as Jessica Cruz.

As cool as Penelope Cruz is I don't see her being cast as Jessica Cruz. Jessica will likely be a younger recruit in the DCEU like in the comics. So I see WB casting a young up and coming Latina actress as Jessica Cruz.

Then who?

Quiet as it is kept, they created Jessica Cruz to appeal to the younger female readers in the comics. Remember that recent statistic that more than 46% of comic-book readers are female? As a result of these statistics, both DC and Marvel have been featuring more female characters and that is partly why there is a Jessica Cruz. The character being younger is only a reflection of the demographics of comic-book fans (25 and under) who make up more than 54% of that population.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"