Comics In Defense of Carnage

Carnage 707

Civilian
Reaction score
Hi, I haven't posted too much recently but I've still been reading the boards. I wrote the following because I've seen far too many threads and posts that condemn and write-off my favorite character, Cletus Kasady, AKA Carnage.

Now if your still interested, read on, for my thoughts on the character and why he isn't the horrible creation some may think. I fully look forward to the complete destruction of my arguements and conjecture by those that hate Carnage, so please tell me how I am wrong and how much Carnage sucks in essay format, postmarked to 11"21' North latitude and 142" 12' East longitude, Mariana Trench, Pacific Ocean.

Now, onward...

There is an old saying that goes something like this: “There are no bad characters, just bad writers, or stories” A masterful writer can turn the most boring, cliché’, uninteresting or Z-list character into and interesting, engaging and powerful character that has motivations, which have depth. This is the writing that makes characters memorable, that makes them famous.Alternatively; a bad writer can take a character with interesting possibilities and stories to tell, into a boring 1-note caricature. If subsequent writers fail to correct these mistakes, what happens to the character? They continue to spiral downward into oblivion, their potential wasted, their welcome outstayed, and left with little chance of redemption in the eyes of the audience. They are continually portrayed in the simplest of ways, hiding the true potential that the character has, and the writers are unwilling to show.

One such character is the subject of this writing. A character born in the days when the words X-Treme were emblazoned upon every comic book cover, when characters were written in 1-dimensions and let loose upon the world. Of course, I’m talking about Cletus Kasady, also known as Carnage.

There are those who would say that Carnage never had any depth to begin with, that there is nothing more to be done with the character, that he cannot be salvaged. They would tell you that Carnage is a paper-thin comic book monster, a villain lacking the depth and character of such famous villains as Dr. Octopus, or the Green Goblin. They would tell you that he began as a shameless Joker rip-off, and became nothing more. I would say that they are right, but only up to a point. Did Carnage begin life as a 1-note kill-machine? Yes. But did he have to continue that way? I would say no. Just as characters as the Green Goblin began and evolved into the engaging characters we know today, Carnage could have done the same. “But Carnage707!” you say, “The Green Goblin had somewhere to go as far as character development, he had history, he had motivation beyond one narrow goal, Carnage never could have had that!” I believe that that is wrong. The Green Goblin is such a great character and is written greatly because the character was given opportunities to change and evolve. To develop Carnage into an engaging and interesting character would not be as difficult a task as one might think. Could he ever reach Doc Ock or Green Goblin levels of pathos and depth? Probably not, but he can still be damn interesting. Contrary to what you may have been told, the character CAN grow and CAN evolve into something more.

A few brave writers such as Warren Ellis and David Quinn were able to begin writing Carnage the development, the goals, the depth that he needed to become something more than he was, to begin to come into his own character. They helped push the character in the right direction, but unfortunately, future writers pushed him right back into a shell of what he can be. Can Carnage be salvaged as a character, made acceptable in the eyes of other than those that are fans of him now? Yes he can, and here are my ideas on how.

In all of his appearances the central motivations of the character are defined by his ideology that chaos is the natural order of the universe, that things such as laws and morals are illusions, protection created by people because they are scared of the chaos, that they want control. But in the end there is never real control, and once you realize that, you are free to do anything.

A pretty basic motivation, right? Makes for a few interesting stories, but after awhile the concept would seem to wear thin. After all, anyone could have that ideology, anyone could say they can do whatever they want because they can, so what makes Carnage so great? His potential. Look deeper into the character, look at his history, his actions, and you will see there is more to Cletus Kasady than a one-track mind mass murderer.

Cletus Kasady began life as a child that was born into a world of abuse, of chaos. Never given love or affection, denied any real human kindness, the only way for him to protect himself, to control the chaos that surrounded him, was to respond with even more brutal savagery than he had endured. Look at his childhood origin; is it an evil child who is responsible for the deaths of his parents in one way or the other because he is simply evil, that he kills for the sake of killing? Or is it the origin of a child who found the only way to make his suffering stop, to control his destiny was to stop his abusers in the only way he knew how, through violence. Later in his life he found all of his problems could be solved that way. He saw that he could control his life, and never be hurt again. Through chaos, through inflicting pain and senselessness upon others, he is able to protect himself. Horrible headmaster at his orphanage? Bash her skull in and set the place on fire. Girl won’t date you? Push her in front of a moving bus. Control through chaos. Where humanity uses order, laws and morals to have control of their lives, Kasady uses chaos, violence and depravity. By his horrible actions his mind became a shattered mirror, his memories riddled with spider-web cracks, razor edges and blood stains. This is the child who became a man with no empathy, a man with no heart, and a man with a black hole where his soul should be, and no chance of redemption.

And these are the features of Kasady’s personality before he became Carnage. Now we have a person who is the personification of all of the sickness, senselessness and depravity of humanity with the power of a god. So now that he is Carnage and has control, that he can’t be hurt, what is his motivation you ask? Does he kill now for the sake of it? Is that all? Or does he now wish to show the rest of humanity the way to control their lives as he has, through chaos and violence? As with all characters I believe that Carnage is open to different interpretations, and certain interpretations can make a character much more than what they may be commonly portrayed as.

Myself? I view Carnage is a force of nature, an agent of chaos, a representation of all of the violence, sickness and depravity in the world. His motivation, his purpose is to show people that no matter how much goodwill there is, how many heroes exist, at the end of the day, the universe is chaos. When people no longer have their morals, no longer have their laws and governments to protects them, when humanity is reduced to it’s most natural and basic state, all of the people in the world are just as sick and horrible as Carnage is. That’s what he believes, that people play nice, follow the rules and be good because they are afraid of the natural state of the world, but remove all of their protection, Laws, government, and morals, they go to being selfish, depraved and sick, and Carnage just loves it, he revels in it.

Another facet of the character is his appreciation for the aesthetic and “art” of violence, destruction and chaos. He views every one of his killings and acts of evil as an achievement, something that shows his superiority over the “normal” people of the world, trapped under the weight, and slaves of laws and morality. I would infer that his appreciation and creation of the sick and depraved is the opposite, the other side of the spectrum compared to “normal” people’s art and music. Just as our paintings and symphonies are admired and appreciated by most of humanity, a person born and raised in violence, abuse and rage, the acts of Murder, mutilation and ways to kill are viewed by Kasady as beautiful, the works of art of a world of chaos. And Carnage wants to be the best “artist” there is. He can kill people better than anyone, in more ways than he can remember, and he will continue to do so, to spread his “art”, to spread his message and to spread his influence until he is stopped.

Yet another aspect of the character that I enjoy is unlike any other of Spider-Man’s foes, he is the one that you know is absolutely and totally irredeemable. For all of the sins they have committed, men like Otto Octavius and Norman Osborn were decent men once. Even now, consumed in their madness, they still have those slivers of humanity that shine through now and again. Ock’s love of science, his pursuits for a life partner and other actions the character has taken may show you that deep down inside, there was a decent person there once, and given the right motivation, may be again. Even Norman Osborn, the bastard that he is, has parts of his humanity that come through. His pursuit of fatherhood, for a son to be proud of, and to continue his legacy, and even in his own twisted way, his sadness for his “failed” son Harry. And that is what makes characters like Doc Ock and Green Goblin so interesting is this human element. But he opposite can be interesting too. The presence of Carnage shows Spider-Man that real evil exists in this world, evil cannot be reasoned with, cannot be appealed to, cannot be bargained with and will haunt you until the day you die. And as long as that evil exists, it will continue to kill and undo everything Spider-Man has worked so hard to accomplish. Carnage is that irredeemable horror. He is the boogeyman, the force of nature that when unleashed will kill and destroy until it is contained.

Of course that begs the question, “Well if the character is that evil, then it is stupid because Spidey or someone would eventually have enough and just kill him and get it over with.” Well, we know Spidey won’t do it, and I’ll get into that in a bit. But let’s take other characters into account here. Aside from the whole Sentry debacle, and an attempt by Firestar and Venom, no hero has tried to go out and just kill Carnage. He certainly deserves it and it would save hundreds of lives, right? But this logic could be applied to any character. How many times has Dr. Doom threatened the entire world? Surely Reed Richards, Iron Man, Professor Xavier, hell even the Hulk could have had a chance to kill him by now, and save the world (and timeline and other dimensions) a whole lot of trouble. So why don’t they? Well, it’s a comic book, and Dr. Doom is very popular and a great character. No matter how many times Doom has that destructo-ray pointed at New York, or how many planets Galactus destroys, or how much destruction the Hulk causes, it’s not gonna happen. There are exceptions, such as Magneto’s deaths (and we all know how long those lasted). What I’m saying is, does it make sense for the marvel universe heroes to allow Carnage to live? No. But a hell of a lot of other characters could have the same logic applied to them too.

Now, Carnage is a Spidey-villain, and given Spider-Man’s unwillingness to kill, makes for an interesting dynamic. Spider man cannot become the monster he needs to be in order to stop Carnage from killing, and as a result will carry guilt by knowing that he could have saved the lives of thousands by destroying one monster. Ironically, if Spider-Man would follow Carnage’s view-point and just kill him, Spider-Man would gain that “control through violence/chaos”. But, Spider-Man’s, morality, his responsibility is holding him back….allowing the chaos to thrive, allowing Carnage the control. Law. Order. Violence. Chaos. All means of control, one the choices of a hero, the other the choices of a monster. See where it can get interesting with this character?

Carnage can be interesting; he can have depth and can be written well. All someone needs to do is try. They need to portray Carnage as he could be, personification of the sins and savage nature of humanity hiding just beneath the surface. Carnage is the businessman who goes to work every day and beats the crap out of his wife every night just for the hell of it. Carnage is the kindly old man on your street with a garden full of pretty flowers and a basement full of dead kids. Carnage is the teenager who goes to school one day and kills every living thing he can find. He’s the American flag on fire, the constitution in a blender, the claws that tear away at the shroud, the lies of laws, morals and kindness. He’s humanity, nature, the universe at its worst. He cannot be stopped; he cannot be contained for long. He will show you what the world is really like, he will bring the world to it’s rightful state of chaos and freedom, and by god he’s gonna have a hell of a time doing it.

Now go back and read a few Carnage stories, try to think about the character in these terms. Try to see what may not be blatantly conveyed, and see the potential and future of a character that deserves to be written correctly, given effort into his stories. It can be done, and should be done. Having Sentry tear him up in space because you don’t like the character? That’s no kind of answer. Letting others who understand the character, can see the possibilities of the character write stories about him? I guess that would be too hard. I hope I’ve not been too boring for you all, and I hope I’ve helped the character is some way. Thanks for reading.

And remember, the next time you see a kid on the street, he could be the future President of the USA. Or the next Ed Gein.

Well, I have to congratulate you for writing longest post I've ever seen! Good job.

BTW, I didn't read it.:oldrazz: Symbiote villains are lame in my opinion.

I'm not bashing your thoughts...I used to like Carnage as well.
but I personally think Carnage sucks....

can he be turned into a good villian? with the right writer definitely.
but the writers just don't care.
Every time he appears there's a continuity problem...lol.

Now, Carnage is a Spidey-villain, and given Spider-Man’s unwillingness to kill, makes for an interesting dynamic. Spider man cannot become the monster he needs to be in order to stop Carnage from killing, and as a result will carry guilt by knowing that he could have saved the lives of thousands by destroying one monster. Ironically, if Spider-Man would follow Carnage’s view-point and just kill him, Spider-Man would gain that “control through violence/chaos”. But, Spider-Man’s, morality, his responsibility is holding him back….allowing the chaos to thrive, allowing Carnage the control. Law. Order. Violence. Chaos. All means of control, one the choices of a hero, the other the choices of a monster. See where it can get interesting with this character?

been done with morlun already lol. :cwink:

Carnage 707, I loved your post. it's beautiful. specially your conclusion.
it's exactly the way I always saw him, but never could express myself with words..
always when I thought I would be quoting you to add something more...you already did in the next sentence. absolutely everything is there. there's nothing I can add.
most of the people are ignorant / intolerant about Carnage. they see him only as a "one dimensional character, with no backstory, no motivations and no reasons". I can only rolls eyes for these people.
try to look the other way, try to have a second view, try to have have a different perspective about him. you may even like. the problem is not the character, is the writer. when someone was starting to turn Carnage into something else, the others continued to go downhill with him. it's all a writing problem. I, for instance, hated Tombstone a lot, before. but the writing of his character in SSM totally made me love him.
that's why I like Carnage, he is, like said by Carnage 707, an evil force of the nature. he, differently from all the others, is evil since the beginning. and is pure evil. he has no kind of redemption. no humanity. and there's people like that in the real world. the difference is that Carnage is something else. he's the world's madness and power fused into one. he is the easiest path to hell.

I personally have on problem with Carnage, as he was in the beginning. I just take issue with what he became: A killing machine that couldn't be stopped by anyone, including the Silver Surfer. Once that happened, it all went south.

Personally, I think they should have handled him like they did in th first Carnage arc: A deranged serial killer with a symbiote. Very powerful, still vulnerable, and unpredictable. As soon as Maximum Carnage began, all of that went down hill.

Give me a sly, malicious Carnage who stalks his vitims and then tortures and kills them as opposed to a Carnage who walks up and down the streets of New York with a bunch of C-listers and kills random people.

I personally have on problem with Carnage, as he was in the beginning. I just take issue with what he became: A killing machine that couldn't be stopped by anyone, including the Silver Surfer. Once that happened, it all went south.

Personally, I think they should have handled him like they did in th first Carnage arc: A deranged serial killer with a symbiote. Very powerful, still vulnerable, and unpredictable. As soon as Maximum Carnage began, all of that went down hill.
that's what I was talking about...the bad writing.
while the first 3 issues were great, Maximum Carnage sucked.
and, actually, the symbiote panicked when it saw Silver Surfer. then bound to him, later.

I agree that there are no bad characters, only bad writers, but it would take some serious creative revising in order to make Carnage an interesting character.

Why I appreciate the defense of Carnage, let's not forget that if that if the Marvel writers at the time didn't decide to go with the whole "Lethal Protector" route with Venom in order to capitalize on his popularity and thus overexposing him to the point where it all but ruined a rather thin character to begin with, there wouldn't be a Carnage (whom Marvel even described as a "new and deadlier" Venom, if I recall). Also, much of what you describe about Carnage being an agent of chaos could very well apply to the Joker. In fact, early artwork of Cletus Cassidy prior to his becoming Carnage looks very much like the Joker, sans the green hair and bone white skin of course--and remember, the Batman films in the early 90s were in vogue for being dark and gritty, so it's not hard to imagine that Marvel tried to capitalize on this by having their own version of the Joker for Spider-Man. Of course, that begs the question of whether or not a comic book like Spider-Man needs a character more suitable for Batman as part of his rogues gallery to begin with.

Why I appreciate the defense of Carnage, let's not forget that if that if the Marvel writers at the time didn't decide to go with the whole "Lethal Protector" route with Venom in order to capitalize on his popularity and thus overexposing him to the point where it all but ruined a rather thin character to begin with, there wouldn't be a Carnage (whom Marvel even described as a "new and deadlier" Venom, if I recall). Also, much of what you describe about Carnage being an agent of chaos could very well apply to the Joker. In fact, early artwork of Cletus Cassidy prior to his becoming Carnage looks very much like the Joker, sans the green hair and bone white skin of course--and remember, the Batman films in the early 90s were in vogue for being dark and gritty, so it's not hard to imagine that Marvel tried to capitalize on this by having their own version of the Joker for Spider-Man. Of course, that begs the question of whether or not a comic book like Spider-Man needs a character more suitable for Batman as part of his rogues gallery to begin with.

while it is a bit of a "copy cat" move...
it would be pretty interesting to see a character that has a sense of humor like spidey be EXACTLY the opposite of what spidey is.

I'm liking what I'm seeing in this thread.
even if you guys don't like Carnage, you're giving decent comments, instead of childish "Carnage is lame" or "Carnage sucks".

Venom was popular, Carnage was then created to ride off of Venom's coat tails. They then made him even more psychotic and one dimensional to show Venom's "not all that bad" and make Venom a super hero.

Once the symbiote craze died down they were stuck with a poor man's version of Venom that some writers unsuccessfully tried to get rid of, (Silver Surfer encasing him in epheral energy, Venom eating the symbiote, Sentry ripping him up in space) But people for some reason like him. So I guess I'm in the minority here.

However in my opinion he's not Marvel's worst character. Ultimate Carnage is.

I'm liking what I'm seeing in this thread.
even if you guys don't like Carnage, you're giving decent comments, instead of childish "Carnage is lame" or "Carnage sucks".
well...until now, at least.

I applaud the opening statement. :up: Totally agree. GREAT way of expressing your views, too.

I applaud the opening statement. :up: Totally agree. GREAT way of expressing your views, too.

Indeed. instead of just basically saying CARNAGE RULES like most fans that like the character. he gave a very creative argument.

they really should do something with the character. its sad how writers basically just throw him away.

Thank you for the comments everyone, the flattering and the critical. I'm glad I was able to create some discussion. I've been planning on writing something like this for awhile, and I'm glad I was able to put my thoughts down into words.

As I have said in my previous posts there are many directions that the character, or even the influence of the character, can take.

I thought one interesting story might be that in New York, crime scenes began springing up in prolific areas. At these crime scenes there would be a mutilated body in a cheap Spider-Man costume, and the words "Carnage Rules" painted in blood. Now taken in current continuity, Spider-Man will assume Carnage is still dead, but who else could do such things? Eventually more and more bodies in Spidey suits pile up, and Spidey is desperate to find Carnage, conspicuously never seen, and put a stop to him.

Eventually he would find out that it's not Carnage at all. It's a group of New Yorkers doing it. Drug addicts, the homeless, the perverted buisness man, the disillusioned with the world, the depraved, found each other and after Carnage's "death" decided to continue on his legacy, to continue the chaos, targeting Carnage's most hated foe: Spider-Man. Even in his absence Carnage's philosophy would have touched the people, and continue the chaos.

Why would they do such a thing? Well, in a world full of gods and monsters, how can a normal person possibly have control of thier lives? When they can go to work one day and be destroyed by a super-battle in the city the next, how can they possibly have control? Through chaos, through Carnage.

Sure, it's not by any means perfect, but I think it lays the foundation for a pretty interesting story.

Another "Carnage Story" I thought would be entertaining would be to have the comic begin at a quiet home in the suburbs, a man, his wife and their little daughter. They sit down in front of the T.V., eat their dinner, and there is a knock at the door. When you see the red-haired man standing in the doorway you know things are gonna get messed up. Carnage breaks in, holds the family hostage and..... watches T.V. with them.

The news is on, he is a guset commentator of sorts... "Now, ya see that? That's just great. 2 minutes spent on the story about the rescue effort in that floodin' town, and about 40 minutes of them tellin' ya how everyone else died. Hahaha.... man they sure do love that stuff. Oh, now this one, this one is good. Guy decides one day, for no reason, to come home from work, put his kids ta bed and blow 'em all away with a shotgun at midnight. Hahahahhaa...then...heh... then he blows his own brains out! HahHAhAHaHaHa!" Carnage turns to the little girl, "Doesn't that just rock?"

"Man you guys sure do pick great stuff to watch during dinner. What's up next, the show about the guy who kills people for the government? Or the one about the people who find alla those dead bodies everywhere and cut 'em up for science?"

At one point of the story, the seemingly stong father would crack, make a break for it, and be killed by Carnage. The mother and daughter would see the shadows of it from the next room over. "Sorry 'bout that, some guys just can't get with the damn program... oh I'm sorry, you were expection' him to protect ya? To stay with ya? Well, looks like jim-bob lost his spine. Twice. HaHAHahhAHAHAH!"

Later Carnage would stalk the mother and daughter through the house. They seperate and hide in the attic and basement. They can hear Carnage's voice everywhere, as if he were right next to them...

"Man, I wish you gals could see inside o' my head. It's the world like it should be. The skies are red and the oceans are black. The whole damn world is alive, the world is rotting. The fire in the sky shines the light on the streets.... oh those street, piled with bodies... cut bodies, burnt bodies, bodies killed a million different ways. The screams and cursing in the air are music, it lulls the children to sleep while they warm up next to the burning animals.

The adults..they know it. Their free, man. They steal, they rape, they murder,.... and they die. And they start all over again! Man, it's goddamn beautiful. Your dear old daddy knew it. I could show you little girl, show you that place inside my head. My blood wants to. My blood wants to kill you.... AahahahaHAHAHahahaHAH!"

Then.... nothing. Carnage leaves. He leaves the dead. He leaves the damaged living. His chaos has spread, his message recieved.

Now, I'm by no means a writer of any kind, but I think those ideas could work to make stories that could help accomplish making Carnage a great character in the eyes of those who believe he is not.

I think a good addition to Carganes character would be to have him "set up shop" in a suburb. Break into a couples house that's just moving in (so no neighrbours knows who lives there yet) kill them, and assume a different identity. He could alter his appearance, maybe to that of a older gentle men. Then, spread as a subplot for many issues, people in that neighbour hood start to go missing. Carnage, is of course, killing them. But he's doing it in a more subtle, laid back way, because this is the way he can kill more people, without drawing attention.

No bodies are found because carnage hides them all, possibly in a room, where we can get really disturbing about how much carnage LOVES being around dead bodies. He would use the symbiote to cover them up (by shapeshifting)if police or someone checks the house.

Soon instead of bodies just going missing, people turn up dead. Still, its a suburban crime, spread over a decent size area, so Spidey is aware of it, it just doesn't have his full attention. Soon Spidey might start getting even more curious, and recognize some patterns, come the the conclusion.....blah blah blah.

I just think the idea of a subdued, shrine to dead bodies- type serial killer would be a very interesting step. It could be very creepy and mature.

I personally have no problem with Carnage, as he was in the beginning. I just take issue with what he became: A killing machine that couldn't be stopped by anyone, including the Silver Surfer. Once that happened, it all went south.

Give me a sly, malicious Carnage who stalks his vitims and then tortures and kills them as opposed to a Carnage who walks up and down the streets of New York with a bunch of C-listers and kills random people.

Absolutely.:up:

361.jpg

Thank you for the comments everyone, the flattering and the critical. I'm glad I was able to create some discussion. I've been planning on writing something like this for awhile, and I'm glad I was able to put my thoughts down into words.

As I have said in my previous posts there are many directions that the character, or even the influence of the character, can take.

I thought one interesting story might be that in New York, crime scenes began springing up in prolific areas. At these crime scenes there would be a mutilated body in a cheap Spider-Man costume, and the words "Carnage Rules" painted in blood. Now taken in current continuity, Spider-Man will assume Carnage is still dead, but who else could do such things? Eventually more and more bodies in Spidey suits pile up, and Spidey is desperate to find Carnage, conspicuously never seen, and put a stop to him.

Eventually he would find out that it's not Carnage at all. It's a group of New Yorkers doing it. Drug addicts, the homeless, the perverted buisness man, the disillusioned with the world, the depraved, found each other and after Carnage's "death" decided to continue on his legacy, to continue the chaos, targeting Carnage's most hated foe: Spider-Man. Even in his absence Carnage's philosophy would have touched the people, and continue the chaos.

Why would they do such a thing? Well, in a world full of gods and monsters, how can a normal person possibly have control of thier lives? When they can go to work one day and be destroyed by a super-battle in the city the next, how can they possibly have control? Through chaos, through Carnage.

Sure, it's not by any means perfect, but I think it lays the foundation for a pretty interesting story.

Another "Carnage Story" I thought would be entertaining would be to have the comic begin at a quiet home in the suburbs, a man, his wife and their little daughter. They sit down in front of the T.V., eat their dinner, and there is a knock at the door. When you see the red-haired man standing in the doorway you know things are gonna get messed up. Carnage breaks in, holds the family hostage and..... watches T.V. with them.

The news is on, he is a guset commentator of sorts... "Now, ya see that? That's just great. 2 minutes spent on the story about the rescue effort in that floodin' town, and about 40 minutes of them tellin' ya how everyone else died. Hahaha.... man they sure do love that stuff. Oh, now this one, this one is good. Guy decides one day, for no reason, to come home from work, put his kids ta bed and blow 'em all away with a shotgun at midnight. Hahahahhaa...then...heh... then he blows his own brains out! HahHAhAHaHaHa!" Carnage turns to the little girl, "Doesn't that just rock?"

"Man you guys sure do pick great stuff to watch during dinner. What's up next, the show about the guy who kills people for the government? Or the one about the people who find alla those dead bodies everywhere and cut 'em up for science?"

At one point of the story, the seemingly stong father would crack, make a break for it, and be killed by Carnage. The mother and daughter would see the shadows of it from the next room over. "Sorry 'bout that, some guys just can't get with the damn program... oh I'm sorry, you were expection' him to protect ya? To stay with ya? Well, looks like jim-bob lost his spine. Twice. HaHAHahhAHAHAH!"

Later Carnage would stalk the mother and daughter through the house. They seperate and hide in the attic and basement. They can hear Carnage's voice everywhere, as if he were right next to them...

"Man, I wish you gals could see inside o' my head. It's the world like it should be. The skies are red and the oceans are black. The whole damn world is alive, the world is rotting. The fire in the sky shines the light on the streets.... oh those street, piled with bodies... cut bodies, burnt bodies, bodies killed a million different ways. The screams and cursing in the air are music, it lulls the children to sleep while they warm up next to the burning animals.

The adults..they know it. Their free, man. They steal, they rape, they murder,.... and they die. And they start all over again! Man, it's goddamn beautiful. Your dear old daddy knew it. I could show you little girl, show you that place inside my head. My blood wants to. My blood wants to kill you.... AahahahaHAHAHahahaHAH!"

Then.... nothing. Carnage leaves. He leaves the dead. He leaves the damaged living. His chaos has spread, his message recieved.

Now, I'm by no means a writer of any kind, but I think those ideas could work to make stories that could help accomplish making Carnage a great character in the eyes of those who believe he is not.

wow those are some good ideas. U should be a writer bro seriously

The skies are red and the oceans are black. The whole damn world is alive, the world is rotting. The fire in the sky shines the light on the streets.... oh those street, piled with bodies... cut bodies, burnt bodies, bodies killed a million different ways. The screams and cursing in the air are music, it lulls the children to sleep while they warm up next to the burning animals.
I think you guessed how hell would be.
great ideas, you have. you should make stories out of it.

Well, I have to congratulate you for writing longest post I've ever seen! Good job.

BTW, I didn't read it.:oldrazz: Symbiote villains are lame in my opinion.

Except for Venom...He's where it started and it should have ended.

Except for Venom...He's where it started and it should have ended.

But, if you look at it from another perspective, Venom CAN be the only symbiote character. If you ignore the messy and unessessary retcons and go with the original intentions, the Carnage symbiote is dead. Kasady's blood and body were mutated by having the symbiote live and die in him, and as a result, his blood has taken on the properties (and then some) of a symbiote.

Unlike Venom, which is the merging of 2 distinct personalities (Brock and the symbiote) in a symbiotic relationship, Carnage is a single entity, a man whose blood is death and has no mind but his own.

Are their powers almost the same? Yes. But alot of other characters in the MU have similar powers. No one says they only want one "energy blast" characters, or one "super strong" characters. Why? because they are distinct from one another, and Carnage and Venom can be distinct from one another too.

Even if Venom goes back to being "evil", there are different kinds of evil, and different directions each character can take, so even though for all intents and purposes their powers are interchangeable, their motivations, personalities and "personal codes" are not.

Carnage is an awesome character and is interesting. I mean, psychopaths are interesting becuase of what is going on in their head. Carnage is one of those psychopaths. However, I don't think he's as cool as Venom. Heck, I really love Venom, Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Sandman, etc. more than Carnage. However, as I said, Carnage is a great Villian and is very good to have in Spidey comics.

Carnage is an awesome character and is interesting. I mean, psychopaths are interesting becuase of what is going on in their head. Carnage is one of those psychopaths. However, I don't think he's as cool as Venom. Heck, I really love Venom, Doc Ock, Green Goblin, Sandman, etc. more than Carnage. However, as I said, Carnage is a great Villian and is very good to have in Spidey comics.

I'd equate reading BND with Carnage to getting AIDS after smelling raw sewage.

I'd equate reading BND with Carnage to getting AIDS after smelling raw sewage.

.... Always gotta love how these types come crawling out of that same sewer anytime anyone even mentions the name "Carnage." OMG, its like someone summoned Beetlejuice or something. Carnage, Carnage, Carnage!

And *poof* out come the trolls.

Carnage does have fans. Begin to deal. Snide remarks or childishnesses such as the above are not going to change anyone's opinion; nor do they make the proponent look any cooler. Which is what I think such attempts are REALLY about: trying to look cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"