In order for the DCU to be successful under Gunn & Safran

Tg11

Superhero
Reaction score
If James Gunn and Peter Safran really want this universe under the DCU umbrella to be successful or at the very least be better than the DCEU and be on par with the MCU, then what they need to do:

- In order to build towards a shared universe in this new DCU, they have to build up their own heroes' universes first and introduce us to their worlds first

- But also tease a shared universe too but not right away

- Also you need to have a mid credits and post credits scene for each DCU film but by doing that, you again tease the shared universe concept there by building towards it like what the early MCU did

- But also don't rush towards a Justice League film in this new DCU

- Cast B and C level movie actors and actresses by that I mean lesser known actors in the big roles like what Marvel did first and then those actors' careers took off...DC should also consider this approach as well

- Introduce us to other lesser known heroes too in this universe like Zatanna, Doctor Fate, The Atom, etc and give them their own franchises as well

- But also you give heroes their own TV series spin offs like what MCU is doing now with Disney Plus, DC does the same with their TV series spin offs and they go to HBO Max

Well they have Blue Beetle and isn’t members of the Authority debuting in the Superman movie??

- Cast B and C level movie actors and actresses by that I mean lesser known actors in the big roles like what Marvel did first and then those actors' careers took off...DC should also consider this approach as well
WB/DC are no strangers to this. Christopher Reeve, Henry Cavill, Ezra Miller, Gal Gadot, Margot Robbie, Leslie Grace, Sasha Calle, none of those were exactly household names when they were first cast.

WB/DC are no strangers to this. Christopher Reeve, Henry Cavill, Ezra Miller, Gal Gadot, Margot Robbie, Leslie Grace, Sasha Calle, none of those were exactly household names when they were first cast.

Again exactly what I'm saying so you stay with this exact same approach

Again exactly what I'm saying so you stay with this exact same approach
I'm broadly in favour of it. I know the studios want star power to help pull in audiences, but you can still do that with the surrounding characters. Far more important to get someone who's right for the part. Batman seems to be the only hero where Warner's have consistently gone for a big name.

How about they just try to make one good movie?

Just one.

A single crowd pleasing movie that does well critically and commercially.

Maybe start there, and build from that.

Ridiculous concept, I know. But it just might work.

How about they just try to make one good movie?
I think the last one that ticked that box for me was Wonder Woman in 2017. Joker and The Batman, too, but obviously they weren't part of the DCEU.

Let’s just pray that Legacy’s actors, director and WB can stay out of negative press for the next few years. Someone posted it another thread WB doesn’t need anymore controversy. I think Blue Beetle has been quiet and the trailer was cool. Hopefully fans will give it a shot.

No mid or post credit scenes. It was fun in the beginning but now that’s all people talk about and take away from the movie you just watched.

Keep some mystery to it. I know Gunn likes to engage on twitter but less is more. I know they can’t control the scoopers but try to keep as much detail under wraps as possible.

Don’t announce any more projects. KEEP THE MYSTERY

No mid or post credit scenes. It was fun in the beginning but now that’s all people talk about and take away from the movie you just watched.

Keep some mystery to it. I know Gunn likes to engage on twitter but less is more. I know they can’t control the scoopers but try to keep as much detail under wraps as possible.

Don’t announce any more projects. KEEP THE MYSTERY

I get that sentiment but if you want to be on the same level as Marvel, then people naturally are going to want it in each DC film especially if you want to build towards a shared universe concept

I disagree. If you make a good movie, then audiences will come to the next one regardless of what’s in the credits

Well they are already failing at "build up each heroes universe" seeing as we'll be coming into a fully fledged universe lol.

But the biggest thing imo? Pay homage and respect the source material you are adapting these characters from. DC movies have often just adapted the characters in name only with not really caring about WHO they are compared to Marvel where many are still fairly recognizable to their counterparts, not 100% but enough.

Well they are already failing at "build up each heroes universe" seeing as we'll be coming into a fully fledged universe lol.

But the biggest thing imo? Pay homage and respect the source material you are adapting these characters from. DC movies have often just adapted the characters in name only with not really caring about WHO they are compared to Marvel where many are still fairly recognizable to their counterparts, not 100% but enough.
Marvel was lucky they were adapting characters that didn’t really have a cinematic presence yet. RDJ’s Stark was definitely not as much of a smart ass in the comics but most people didn’t know that.

Superman is Christopher Reeve. If you stray too far from it, people hate it. If you do a 180, people hate it. Batman is either Keaton or Bale for most people. It’s not an easy thing to adapt.

Marvel was lucky they were adapting characters that didn’t really have a cinematic presence yet. RDJ’s Stark was definitely not as much of a smart ass in the comics but most people didn’t know that.

Superman is Christopher Reeve. If you stray too far from it, people hate it. If you do a 180, people hate it. Batman is either Keaton or Bale for most people. It’s not an easy thing to adapt.

Superman is only Reeves because people think it is. Adventures of Lois and Clark proved they could move away from Reeves. Smallville proved it. The studio was afraid to on the big screen and tried to do a spiritual "sequel" and it wasnt a huge success.

Batman has been successful plenty, Keatons Batman movies werent even the highest grossing ones of the 4 in the 90s. Bale came after Keaton proving it didnt have to be Keaton. And now look where we're at with a new Batman trilogy on the way that is neither of their Bats.

So it is easy to do, you just have to put the proper care into the film.

Superman is only Reeves because people think it is. Adventures of Lois and Clark proved they could move away from Reeves. Smallville proved it. The studio was afraid to on the big screen and tried to do a spiritual "sequel" and it wasnt a huge success.

Batman has been successful plenty, Keatons Batman movies werent even the highest grossing ones of the 4 in the 90s. Bale came after Keaton proving it didnt have to be Keaton. And now look where we're at with a new Batman trilogy on the way that is neither of their Bats.

So it is easy to do, you just have to put the proper care into the film.
Agreed 100%. I'm not a fan of the golden age era of DC heroes at all. No disrespect to Reeve, Carter, or West, but it's a no for me. There are absolutely brilliant interpretations of these characters in modern comic books that prove you can move away from the Reeve-style Superman and still nail it, with Superman & Wonder Woman specifically. WB is so stuck on either the golden age of these heroes or Geoff Johns and I don't know whyyy, it's so frustrating.

Totally.
To the GA, alot of the MCU characters were basically brand new.

So that meant that the audiences , by in large, didn't come to the films with a preconceived notion of how Iron Man should be played, What line up of the Guardians should be used in the first film,
Who should play Black Panther etc .

I think they need to show the appeal of the overall DC universe, the magic of the DC universe, as soon as possible in Superman Legacy.

And by that I mean the iconic imagery, a Hall of Justice (or preferably, Watchtower), capes flying about, and mentions of the core JL (maybe ending with a shot of a team meeting or something, even if we don’t see all their faces, or maybe statues of the founding members).

An image of a universe you can visually wrap your head around, the same way you would with Star Wars, the wizarding world, Pandora, etc, opposed to the vagueness of the Snyderverse.

And of course, with a quality, fresh, modern Superman movie as a vehicle to present this universe, this world, you hopefully send the message that these other characters, this JL, is gonna be as exciting, unique, relevant, emotional, as the Superman movie.

Last edited:
I’m marginally excited for the DC universe to start up on film, but if truth be told, I would probably prefer higher quality, unconnected films. The Marvel concept was good at first, but it is a bit tired at this point. My favorite Marvel films have been the ones that feel the least connected to the greater universe. This has been amplified recently. Films like Guardians, No Way Home (with the obvious exception of Dr Strange), the original Black Panther and Shang Chi feel barely connected at all. Having to tip the hat and reference the greater universe in every film seems cumbersome.
With apologies to the OP, it seems like what the sentiment is is that the only way to build a cinematic universe is to do exactly what Marvel did. But to me, if DC does that, I will be sorely disappointed. I hope that Gunn and co.don’t simply copycat Marvel without innovation. I would hope that they produce a better product.

Last edited:
I think they need to show the appeal of the overall DC universe, the magic of the DC universe, as soon as possible in Superman Legacy.

And by that I mean the iconic imagery, a Hall of Justice (or preferably, Watchtower), capes flying about, and mentions of the core JL (maybe ending with a shot of a team meeting or something, even if we don’t see all their faces, or maybe statues of the founding members).

An image of a universe you can visually wrap your head around, the same way you would with Star Wars, the wizarding world, Pandora, etc, opposed to the vagueness of the Snyderverse.

And of course, with a quality, fresh, modern Superman movie as a vehicle to present this universe, this world, you hopefully send the message that these other characters, this JL, is gonna be as exciting, unique, relevant, emotional, as the Superman movie.

Now this approach too I wouldn't even mind

Yeah but then you’ll have complaints that movie is just 1 big tease for the next project instead of being a movie about Superman. I don’t know what the right approach is. I don’t want another love letter to Donner. I also don’t want a Superman who hates being Superman. There has to be a solid middle ground somewhere.

And no more Jesus references

And no more Jesus references
I get what you are saying and agree that I don’t want any more of the cringey-forced stuff, but it is hard to get around the fact that there is a commonality. And the very core of the character of Superman—an all powerful being who chooses to humility over self-exultation and chooses to live amongst and serve humanity rather than dominating humanity—is similar cannot and should not be compromised when telling a Superman story.

I’d say that they should share traits without Superman being a stand-in for Jesus.

Superman Legacy needs to be a Superman movie. I think it’s a mistake to bring the Authority in for a major role if that is Gunn’s plan. I hope he does not bring in a bunch of Justice League cameos like BVS did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"