What should Gunn do with Batman?

i feel like this is the perfect opportunity for an in his prime established Batman not an older retired veteran like Affleck and not a rookie 2 years in like Pattinson
I think by the time we get to the sequel Pattinson will already be prime established Batman.

DCU Batman should start out with Dick as Robin. Be a Batfam trilogy of films.

Continue with Pattionson and slowly connect his world to the rest. They need to lock in actors for 10 years in order for this new slate to work. No more of actors dipping out after 2 movies.

I can see them at this moment not having any talks about putting Pattinson's Batman into the DCU, because lets be honest... if Superman doesn't work... if Gunn's first few movies in his slate doesn't work... he probably won't last long in that job. Why make an early commitment to attaching The Batman universe to something we don't know will work yet? That would only drag Reeves universe down with a sinking ship. I can see that being the mindset of everyone involved (Gunn, Reeves, Pattinson, everybody). Don't commit yet until things solidify.

But if that Superman movie is successful, don't be surprised to see the announcement of Pattinson signing on for a World's Finest movie co-starring with whoever they cast as Superman.
Imo I think superman needs his own solo with no other heroes in it.
Yes, mention batman, even show a picture of him in shadow, so you only see his outline.
Focus on clark/superman. And give us a REAL intimidating Lex this time, and bald.
No more weasley looking or goofy Lex please.

Imo I think superman needs his own solo with no other heroes in it.

I think we are going to get that, because I don't see the logic of throwing a bunch of other heroes into a Superman reboot that could fail (which would drag those other heroes down). That is what happened with Black Adam.

But if that movie succeeds, we will get more.

i feel like this is the perfect opportunity for an in his prime established Batman not an older retired veteran like Affleck and not a rookie 2 years in like Pattinson
So in early to mid 30s?

I doubt we get another batman for the DCU, but for sake of argument, suppose we did?

For me, I'd want batman to be the first ( not really tho as WW would have already existed )
I'd want him mid to late 30's, and very experienced. He's seen it all, and nothing surprises him.
Who? Sebastian Stan.

I doubt we get another batman for the DCU, but for sake of argument, suppose we did?

For me, I'd want batman to be the first ( not really tho as WW would have already existed )
I'd want him mid to late 30's, and very experienced. He's seen it all, and nothing surprises him.
Who? Sebastian Stan.

Gunn has said in one of his many Twitter responses that Batman is important to the DCU

So in early to mid 30s?

So, Pattinson’s age. Lol

I think Gunn can let Reeves develop his universe (which will hopefully dip into the more fantastical / surreal with villains like Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Court of Owls, etc.).

In a few years and after a few successes (hopefully), Gunn and Reeves can start to talk shop about what a crossover with Batman would/could look like.

Ill be shocked if they do.

I think I’d be more surprised at this point if we don’t see Dick Grayson in the Reeves films. Might not be a straight adaptation (at least visually) but with all the discussion around Robin, I think the characters definitely on the table.

Hey does anyone know what happened to that Gotham Knights CW show? Is it still airing?

I think there is going to be a lot of things that were announced that are about to get cancelled.

The only way in which a different Batman from Pattinson would make sense, is if tonally it's a completely different take. Like, full on kid-friendly, outlandish, Justice League Batman (done well).

I won't give a damn about it, because that's not the Batman that interests me, but I could see the value in it for the broader, younger audience.

If Gunn is going to do that, while retaining Pattinson as the 'black label' Batman for adults, that'd be a decent strategy.

In fact, I'd go so far as to have two strategies laid out: one for the PG DCU, and one for the R Rated Black Label DCU. Let Reeves get as dark as he wants, while keeping the more lucrative version for the younger audience.

I didn't see anything in The Batman that felt "elseworlds" to me. It was dark yes, but Batman comics in general are very dark and gritty, and this Batman is still in his Year One type phase where he hasn't done a lot yet and a lot of the universe hasn't been built yet, and it was still a PG-13 movie. Pattinson's Batman was still more faithful to the comics than Michael Keaton's Batman ever was (he didn't try to mow people down with machine guns on his Batmobile or Batwing), and The Batman ended with him trying to be more than "Vengeance".

So I am still not convinced that this version of Batman is so wildly different that it needs to be contained to an Elseworlds label.

The only way in which a different Batman from Pattinson would make sense, is if tonally it's a completely different take. Like, full on kid-friendly, outlandish, Justice League Batman (done well).

I won't give a damn about it, because that's not the Batman that interests me, but I could see the value in it for the broader, younger audience.

If Gunn is going to do that, while retaining Pattinson as the 'black label' Batman for adults, that'd be a decent strategy.

In fact, I'd go so far as to have two strategies laid out: one for the PG DCU, and one for the R Rated Black Label DCU. Let Reeves get as dark as he wants, while keeping the more lucrative version for the younger audience.

I agree. Would love it if Reeves is not expected to make his Batman movies have four quadrant appeal at all. Just like Andor went even more realistic and adult after Rogue One, I’m hoping The Penguin and The Batman sequels do the same.

And cmon, just look at his Joker, who’s probably too disturbing for kids to even look it, let alone stand alongside Cheetah, Gorilla Grodd, and Lex in a Justice League movie.

I don't look at James Gunn and think "If this dude did his own version of Batman it'd be a PG kid friendly Batman".

I suggest that our new co-CEOs find the sweet spot between BTAS and mainstream Batman comics, as opposed to say, Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Bring on Tim Fox.

Idk if anyone saw but a "leak" of the slate was floating around on Reddit and it had a movie titled "Brave And The Bold" which was described as a Globe trotting team up adventure with Batman and Wonder Woman. It's probably 99% fake but using Batman in small team ups like that would be a great way to feature him.

Have him be in team ups and Justice League films. He can cameo in stuff like a Teen Titans movie and then leave Rob And Reeves to make his solo films.

It's certainly gonna be hard to pull off.
I don't envy them in their job.
They will be damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Idk if anyone saw but a "leak" of the slate was floating around on Reddit and it had a movie titled "Brave And The Bold" which was described as a Globe trotting team up adventure with Batman and Wonder Woman. It's probably 99% fake but using Batman in small team ups like that would be a great way to feature him.

Have him be in team ups and Justice League films. He can cameo in stuff like a Teen Titans movie and then leave Rob And Reeves to make his solo films.
I could see a few team up films.
Black canary and green arrow
Deadman and Batman
Dr Fate and etrigan. Etc etc.

What about a Caped Crusader and Boy Wonder. A real Batman and Robin team up. If anyone would take a chance like that to put it on the big screen it would be Gunn. Lets also have a real teen playing Robin this time. You cast a 40 year to play Batman like the one in the BAS. It would be so different from the Reeves universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"