In The Multiverse Of Madness Spoiler Discussion Thread

You’ll never believe who was supposed to originally play that character in that movie.

Daniel Craig was supposed to be Reed!

This actually even further makes me think Krasinski as Reed is nothing more than a one and done cameo.

Just....wow. That's kind of like casting Tom Cruise to play Superman.​

You’ll never believe who was supposed to originally play that character in that movie.

This actually even further makes me think Krasinski as Reed is nothing more than a one and done cameo.

That leads me to believe Krasinski isn't automatically going to be MCU Reed

Well one scooper is elaborating on this

Which makes sense since the first plot leak that mentioned the illuminati said Balder was a member but made no mention of Reed.

Last edited:
I remember a rumor at one point of Campbell as Balder... so there were talks of him being in it (an there was that statue seen in the illuminati lobby that people suspected was a reference to the character)

still seems odd to replace the character with a different character instead of just recasting Balder

unless Craig is still set to show up as that character in something else...

I remember a rumor at one point of Campbell as Balder... so there were talks of him being in it (an there was that statue seen in the illuminati lobby that people suspected was a reference to the character)

still seems odd to replace the character with a different character instead of just recasting Balder

unless Craig is still set to show up as that character in something else...

Looking back at a lot of the leaks, it seems Bruce Campbell as Balder was only ever fan speculation. None of them actually state who is playing Balder. Probably because fans speculate what Bruce is going to do in Raimi movie and Balder seems like such a out of left field choice to include so of course that's Bruce's role (tbf, I thought the same).

As far as not simply recasting Balder, maybe it was a situation where they had the idea to use Daniel Craig first rather than Balder and Marvel/Raimi simply picked a character that best suited him. Once Craig dropped out, they probably figured there was no point to using Balder since the cameo was only ever going to work if it was played Daniel Craig (in their eyes anyway).

The movie was the biggest letdown of the year so far. In a multiverse movie, the scale felt so small. The mystic musical note battle was cringy, even typing that out is just... disappointing. McAdams had no business being in this movie, what a waste of a talented actress when she has zero chemistry with the lead. And oh boy... getting
Charlize Theron
as
Clea
was horrible. The MCU didn't even consider her for Captain Marvel, but they'll give her some random throwaway role wherein she wears a grey/white wig? Those rumors of ageism are feeling pretty legit. Good for her though, a paycheck is a paycheck.

I went in with lukewarm expectations after avoiding spoilers for so long and the movie still disappointed me. This movie finally confirmed to me that I can never enjoy Doctor Strange as a character in the MCU. If I can take anything away from this movie that excites me, it's that this movie gives audiences and fans of the MCU a clearer idea of where this phase is going which is going to be Kang as the ultimate villain and a multiversal war. I honestly think we might see some MCU movies that are in their own multiverse (Fantastic Four) that have their own hints to Kang as well. All in all, I'd give this movie a C+.

Last edited:
The MCU didn't even consider her for Captain Marvel, but they'll give her some random throwaway role wherein she wears a grey/white wig? Those rumors of agism are feeling pretty legit. Good for her though, a paycheck is a paycheck.
Why exactly do you think this is throwaway? This is basically a confirmation she has a role in the next movie.

Why exactly do you think this is throwaway? This is basically a confirmation she has a role in the next movie.
The 'next' movie that doesn't even have a date? We'll see. Ultimately, she should have been Captain Marvel and she wasn't even considered. Seeing her in this mid-credit felt like the MCU trying to silence criticism behind all of that imo. If she appears in the future, I suspect it'll be in some type of Stallone role. Like I said, the MCU threw her a bone after all of those interviews where the media asked her about Captain Marvel and the reveal that they didn't even ask her. A paycheck is a paycheck. You can't turn down that MCU money.

Well one scooper is elaborating on this

Which makes sense since the first plot leak that mentioned the illuminati said Balder was a member but made no mention of Reed.

THIS makes more sense

If she appears in the future, I suspect it'll be in some type of Stallone role.
Why? Clea is a more important Doctor Strange supporting character than anyone we've seen, with only Wong coming close. Expecting Clea to only have a minor, more background role in Doctor Strange movies is like expecting the Wasp to only have a minor, more background role in Ant-Man movies.

I honestly had a lot of fun with this one. Can only look at it from my own perspective, but I think they did a lot of good here.

Going into it I was a bit worried that they would go all out with the "Strange (or another version of him) is the real villain here" or undermine Wanda's turn to darkness. But wow...they really didn't. Wanda was a nightmare in the best of ways. She went down a darker road in her TV series and that carried on here when she had all that horrible power at her fingertips. There were times I was surprised they got away with the rating this movie had. She just tore through the Illuminati and a lot of people. Definitely played as hard into the horror angle as they could. Wanda went full Terminator. Just a horrifying threat that just kept on coming.

Even the finale worked for me. Strange could have beaten Wanda if he took that power for himself. But I don't feel like it diminished him that he didn't. It was certainly on the nose with making the point of him letting go a bit and allowing others to step up. He still got some great moments and it set up the right kind of win that they needed here.

Going into this movie I was having a bit of a mixed bag day. This movie picked me up and let me just have fun for a couple hours. This was the most I'd liked Doctor Strange and gave me good hope that the coming movies within the MCU will hold up nicely.

Why? Clea is a more important Doctor Strange supporting character than anyone we've seen, with only Wong coming close. Expecting Clea to only have a minor, more background role in Doctor Strange movies is like expecting the Wasp to only have a minor, more background role in Ant-Man movies.
yeah before the first Dr. Strange, Clea is the only supporting Ds character I knew of. I didn't know who Wong, Ancient 1 and Christine were.

The movie was the biggest letdown of the year so far. In a multiverse movie, the scale felt so small. The mystic musical note battle was cringy, even typing that out is just... disappointing. McAdams had no business being in this movie, what a waste of a talented actress when she has zero chemistry with the lead. And oh boy... getting
Charlize Theron
as
Clea
was horrible. The MCU didn't even consider her for Captain Marvel, but they'll give her some random throwaway role wherein she wears a grey/white wig? Those rumors of ageism are feeling pretty legit. Good for her though, a paycheck is a paycheck.

I went in with lukewarm expectations after avoiding spoilers for so long and the movie still disappointed me. This movie finally confirmed to me that I can never enjoy Doctor Strange as a character in the MCU. If I can take anything away from this movie that excites me, it's that this movie gives audiences and fans of the MCU a clearer idea of where this phase is going which is going to be Kang as the ultimate villain and a multiversal war. I honestly think we might see some MCU movies that are in their own multiverse (Fantastic Four) that have their own hints to Kang as well. All in all, I'd give this movie a C+.

Damn, Charlize would have been amazing as Captain Marvel.

What a missed opportunity.

before the first Dr. Strange [...] I didn't know who [...] Christine were.
I don't think Christine has ever even appeared together with Doctor Strange in a comic. She's a very minor character with only a handfull of appearances. The way they wrote Christine is actually more a mix of Linda Carter from the comics (particularly The Oath storyline) and Gina Atwater from the animated movie Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme.

Linda Carter was the original Night Nurse (a title Christine has also used). In the comics she appeared in the popular The Oath storyline. She met Strange when Wong brought his unconscious body to her for emergency medical care, which is what the scene for the first movie where Strange astrally projects to help Christine save him is directly taken from. During this storyline she helped Strange and eventually they started a romantic relationship.
-35R5ksfX73EzB8WCbKcnznD7pv_GhgtpNipYiV2IuDdmfwG-8jnD1mxWe8cf-khbOyO7Sd4iIYb=s0

In the animated movie, Stephen Strange works at a hospital where one of his colleagues is Dr. Gina Atwater. The two of them used to be in a relationship, but that ended and they are still having some struggles with their past. Still, Atwater knows Strange is a skilled surgeon and requests his help for a difficult case. One night Strange gets into a car accident and badly injures his hands, after which Atwater tries to comfort Strange but does not manage to get Strange to accept his situation. By the end of the movie they have mostly worked through their issues but don't get into a relationship again.
Doctor-Strange-2007-ScreenShot-11.jpg

Last edited:
Looking back at a lot of the leaks, it seems Bruce Campbell as Balder was only ever fan speculation. None of them actually state who is playing Balder. Probably because fans speculate what Bruce is going to do in Raimi movie and Balder seems like such a out of left field choice to include so of course that's Bruce's role (tbf, I thought the same).

As far as not simply recasting Balder, maybe it was a situation where they had the idea to use Daniel Craig first rather than Balder and Marvel/Raimi simply picked a character that best suited him. Once Craig dropped out, they probably figured there was no point to using Balder since the cameo was only ever going to work if it was played Daniel Craig (in their eyes anyway).
if the scene was originally written with Balder in mind (and they didn't want to recast Craig for whatever reason) to keep that character in there... they could have brought in a similar character in the Black Knight
(getting Kit Harington back) to fill that characters role (and giving some presentation to Eternals, since him becoming that character was only hinted at in the actual movie, it would been cool to see a version of him who already reached their full potential)

at least that would have been a reference to a returning character who we already seen (much like the rest of the group)
instead of using it to shoehorn the introduction of a new character

Last edited:
The 'next' movie that doesn't even have a date? We'll see. Ultimately, she should have been Captain Marvel and she wasn't even considered. Seeing her in this mid-credit felt like the MCU trying to silence criticism behind all of that imo. If she appears in the future, I suspect it'll be in some type of Stallone role. Like I said, the MCU threw her a bone after all of those interviews where the media asked her about Captain Marvel and the reveal that they didn't even ask her. A paycheck is a paycheck. You can't turn down that MCU money.

I find it odd to hold a person they didn't cast for a role against the studio. If one didn't like the person the actor from Captain Marvel, that is fine. But saying the movie sucks cause they didn't cast Actor XYZ? I don't see that as valid.

For a movie called the Multiverse of Madness... I wish there was more madness to the multiverse. Besides that cool sequence when they crash through the multiple universes, they just go into a utopic looking NYC and an alternative MCU with alternate versions of the characters.

Not really that "mad."

To think what Raimi could have come up with if they just let him make his movie. It's really apparent now why Scott Derrickson left this movie.

As far as who was considered for what and who had what level of control over whatever movies, people "think" they know a lot more than they actually do. Unless you were involved in the creation of the movie, you generally don't know much about creative control or who was or wasn't considered. You're certainly entitled to your opinions, but you know what opinion are like......(that includes MY opinions too). You can state them as "facts", but, in reality, they aren't.

I find it odd to hold a person they didn't cast for a role against the studio. If one didn't like the person the actor from Captain Marvel, that is fine. But saying the movie sucks cause they didn't cast Actor XYZ? I don't see that as valid.
Are you trying to say I said I disliked the movie because of that? I did not. That was merely an observation. If we are talking about MoM, there are several actual reasons I disliked the movie:

- The scope felt incredibly confined and small for a multiverse movie.
- The cameos felt half-baked and considering Disney owns all of the Fox/Marvel properties, it felt like a massive missed opportunity to only include 1 of those characters. They could've done more here and should have. But they didn't.
- Raimi moments were a standout, but the writing in this movie is terrible
- Far too much screentime for McAdams, who I find to be a completely pointless character in the MCU
- The 'mystic musical note battle' scene
- Butchering Wanda
- CGI seemed really inconsistent
- What was going on with Wong & Sara? If that was a relationship we were supposed to care about, it came out of nowhere and I did not care at all when she
died
- Maybe it's just me, but I always chuckle when all these sorcerers can do is throw up mystical shields.

What I did like:

- Clearer picture of where Phase 4 is going
- Raimi
- Most of Elfman's score here
-
Krasinski
as
Reed
even if it was obvious that he wasn't actually in the same room as the others and that his suit was completely CGI (and not a very good design at that) the fact they got him blew my mind
- The depiction of Chavez and those multiverse powers of hers

C+ | A massive letdown considering this was hyped as some type of MCU epic. This was not that, not even a tiny bit. While there are a handful of standout moments, it's completely weighed down by the piss poor writing and the sheer lack of scale.

You're literally the only person I've ever seen complain that Charlize Theron wasn't cast as Captain Marvel, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's not some powerful, omnipresent bit of bad press that Marvel is so desperate to counter by giving Theron a 'throwaway role'.

And your bizarre implication that the 'next' movie maybe won't even happen (after one of the strongest opening weekends in the MCU, which guarantees a healthy improvement over the box office of DS1, which was already more successful than other MCU movies that have already gotten sequels) or that maybe they'll just completely forget she exists (when they cast her as one of the most important supporting characters Strange has) is an even more ridiculous accusation.

Are you trying to say I said I disliked the movie because of that? I did not. That was merely an observation. If we are talking about MoM, there are several actual reasons I disliked the movie:

- The cameos felt half-baked and considering Disney owns all of the Fox/Marvel properties, it felt like a massive missed opportunity to only include 1 of those characters. They could've done more here and should have. But they didn't.
- Far too much screentime for McAdams, who I find to be a completely pointless character in the MCU
- Butchering Wanda
- What was going on with Wong & Sara? If that was a relationship we were supposed to care about, it came out of nowhere and I did not care at all when she
died
- Maybe it's just me, but I always chuckle when all these sorcerers can do is throw up mystical shields.

What I did like:

- Raimi
-
Krasinski
as
Reed
even if it was obvious that he wasn't actually in the same room as the others and that his suit was completely CGI (and not a very good design at that) the fact they got him blew my mind

C+ | A massive letdown considering this was hyped as some type of MCU epic. This was not that, not even a tiny bit. While there are a handful of standout moments, it's completely weighed down by the piss poor writing and the sheer lack of scale.

I disagree with your complaints, which is fine. People can like or dislike whatever they want. But your first post about the movie was just fanboy whining cause a fancasting didn't happen and that somehow you think a 3rd Doctor Strange isn't happening. Feel free to hate the movie and all, but it is hard for me to take your points seriously after that.

- Butchering Wanda
died

What I did like:

- Raimi
-
Krasinski
as
Reed

Yeah. We all have our opinions and that's cool. I actually loved the movie, but that's just me. I suspect that most people fall somewhere in between our opinions. This movie certainly had Raimi's fingerprints on it, but I stop at saying "Marvel put handcuffs on him" or "Marvel interfered or it would have been better" or something along those lines. I tend to just take movies for what they are and stop with "the studio was at fault" stuff. We just don't know for sure. For all we know, whether we like something or not, the studio, director, writer, etc. may or may not have ALL been in lockstep.

I disagree with your complaints, which is fine. People can like or dislike whatever they want. But your first post about the movie was just fanboy whining cause a fancasting didn't happen and that somehow you think a 3rd Doctor Strange isn't happening. Feel free to hate the movie and all, but it is hard for me to take your points seriously after that.
Apologies if that is how you interpreted it, but that was not my criticism. Of course DS3 is happening. But when and what type of story it'll be about is up in the air at this point. To feel as though it's 'guaranteed' that she'll be in the next movie, much less have a large role is a massive assumption. You can disagree with my complaints, that's entirely fair, however, many of those complaints are shared by others after watching this movie. It's okay for the MCU to have some misses here and there, they'll bounce back. I have no doubt that Phase 4 as a whole is going to be epic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"