BOX-OFFICE potential in the Multiverse of Madness

Reaction score
Is there any chance that this is gonna be a billion dollar grossing film?

Will Dr. Strange follow the footsteps of Batman, Iron Man, Captain America, Black Panther, Aquaman, Captain Marvel and Spider-Man as the 8th superhero (6th Marvel character) to headline a billion dollar grossing film?

I think out of the next four MCU films, this film is the best contender for it and that is opening the summer movie season of 2021.

It's certainly going to see a big jump from the first film after Strange's amazing showing in IW. A lot will depend how crazy the trailers are.

because his name brand got bigger thanks to infinity war saga, and with wanda. it could be really close to 1B I think.
not to mention this having more horror style will add lots of buzz.

His profile did go up with Infinity War, and getting Wanda in there will be a boost
but Idk if this has a billion dollars in it
Endgame didn't give him as good a showing as IW, so I feel like his "heat" after that movie has dissipated a bit

I'd say it certainly makes at least $100m more, but I dunno if it hits a billion

This movie has the potential to make a billion, but I see it performing like Guardians of the Galaxy, Part 2. $900 million plus worldwide but less than $1 billion.

I'm just voting a billion for every mcu movie now. lol the odds are in your favor these days lol

Thor, Doctor Strange, and Shang-Chi will ALL break the billion dollar marker in 2021 - BOOK IT!

I am such a huge Strange fan now after how awesome he has been in his first 4 appearances, he deserves it!

Eh, I'm skeptical Shang-Chi will. Its too disconnected from anything before it, and lacks the compelling sales pitch that BP and CM had. It'll do well, if its a good movie, but it won't hit 1B until the sequel.

Eh, I'm skeptical Shang-Chi will. Its too disconnected from anything before it, and lacks the compelling sales pitch that BP and CM had. It'll do well, if its a good movie, but it won't hit 1B until the sequel.

There's the China market, first Asian American film in MCU, martial arts action, and ties to the MCU with the real Mandarin. It has the potential to do really well if Marvel navigates and sticks the landing like they did with BP.

There's the China market, first Asian American film in MCU, martial arts action, and ties to the MCU with the real Mandarin. It has the potential to do really well if Marvel navigates and sticks the landing like they did with BP.

None of which I see mattering for much of anything especially vast. China already has tons of martial arts films, "First Asian-American film in MCU" is note a social milestone with a vast crowd hungering for it, martial arts films are commonplace, and outside of this forum nobody actually cares about the 'real Mandarin".

Is the movie going to do well? Sure, assuming it keeps up the quality. But acting like its going to have anything even approaching the heft of Black Panther, or even Captain Marvel? No.

This movie has the potential to make a billion, but I see it performing like Guardians of the Galaxy, Part 2. $900 million plus worldwide but less than $1 billion.
Gotg vol. 2 didn't have an Avengers boost though.

I feel like in the post-Endgame time, 1 billion is to be expected especially for a character that appeared in Infinity War/Endgame. We'll see though.

None of which I see mattering for much of anything especially vast. China already has tons of martial arts films, "First Asian-American film in MCU" is note a social milestone with a vast crowd hungering for it, martial arts films are commonplace, and outside of this forum nobody actually cares about the 'real Mandarin".

Is the movie going to do well? Sure, assuming it keeps up the quality. But acting like its going to have anything even approaching the heft of Black Panther, or even Captain Marvel? No.
The MCU is really popular all over Asia and still growing fast. I think there’s a chance at least that a portion of those fans are going to be happy to see a hero closer to home within the all encompassing franchise they seem to love most. I don’t think the social milestone aspect is going to be that important, as you say, but I have a feeling the film will will do very well in that region regardless.

An extra $200m Raimi bonus. :cwink:

Hmm its hard to predict as Omicron hasn't peaked yet. But based from No way Home's boX office numbers, I feel like this is guaranteed 250 million in North America and 700 million worldwide (without China).

Hmm its hard to predict as Omicron hasn't peaked yet. But based from No way Home's boX office numbers, I feel like this is guaranteed 250 million in North America and 700 million worldwide (without China).
Fingers Crossed.

1.2 b without China
1.5b with China.

I think it can do 1B. We tend to turn out for the multi character movies and I suspect we'll see a lot more of them in the future. Strange is going to be a major player going forward.

The trailer looks 'different', it looks Raimi enough for something a bit special. This is going to do well. Studio were smart to put Strange and Spider-Man together and now they can spread out & go where they want, v clever by the MCU.

The trailer looks 'different', it looks Raimi enough for something a bit special. This is going to do well. Studio were smart to put Strange and Spider-Man together and now they can spread out & go where they want, v clever by the MCU.

Agreed. Marvel has done this before (Civil War/Avengers for example) and the results are clear; multiple heroes = multiple dollars. LOL. You just have to set it up right and not force it.

I think it can do 1B. We tend to turn out for the multi character movies and I suspect we'll see a lot more of them in the future. Strange is going to be a major player going forward.
Yeah, looks like it won’t be just Avengers films from here on out. There aren’t many films that can get the box office that a MCU multi-character crossover movie can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"