Black Widow at the Box Office!

Anddddd like I said. No movie anytime soon is opening to 80 million. People who clowned black widows opening are looking real weird right now. TSS is set to open in the 20s and I have no idea what shang chi is gonna do. 80 million OW and it was on premiere access too.

Or the people who clowned the movie's second weekend drop. We're in a never-ending pandemic AND the movie opened day and date with paid streaming on Disney+.

Basically, Black Widow is the true winner of this summer. And the day and date should've NEVER have happened. They could've done even bigger numbers and still done Disney+ 4-6 weeks later.

What I find interesting is Jungle Cruise had a lower 2nd weekend drop of 55% whereas Black Widow had a 67% 2nd weekend drop. Of course Marvel movies are usuakly front loaded. However with the delta variant on the loose, I eXpected worse for the 2nd weekend drop of Jungle Cruise.

On a different topic, I wish still Disney+ didn't release this right away. I think they should have waited 45 days which is what they are going to do with Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

It will be interesting to see how Shang Chi does. It’s theatrical only and a MCU movie, but it’s about an unknown character and coming out when Delta is currently running rampant. Also, Labor Day weekend is not a huge moneymaker for movies in general anyway.

rwkgt3503eh71.jpg

Black Widow has crossed the first Captain America domestically and is bound to also beat Ant-Man and Thor.

367 million.

It is goingto outgross Thor, Antman and Origins Wolverine in North America if it grosses 3 million more.

Really should have kept that May release date. They could have secured a China release and it would have done way better overall (think F9 numbers).

It would have been released in China.... but iirc the Beta variant caused the number of cases to go up in a lot of around of countries during March/April. So I'm not sure if it would have been done better in other countries in May. Also Godzilla vs Kong if not mistaken earned most of its boX office numbers in China. It barely crossed the 100 million mark in America.

Do you need to keep posting these giant screenshots of the Tweets? I don't think anyone here is so short-sighted that they need large letters to read, and if they are they can simply magnify it on their own computer.

You can just post the link to the tweet and it will show up automatically.

125M with PA and more traditional PVOD (August 10-15 counted) combined. Hmm, wish they had revealed the PA number separately. Assuming Disney got 80% from PA and PVOD and 50% from box office then Disney has made 100M + 185M with this movie. Considering the budget was 200M and they spent as much on marketing (especially because they had to restart the marketing machine) then they still lost about 115M.

Last edited:
DocumentCloud

"In addition, the Picture grossed more than $55 million in its domestic opening weekend from Premier Access on Disney+" ($67MM in total worldwide Premier Access opening-weekend receipts)"

So 67M in PA during its opening weekend and 55M of that came from NA. I guess PA hasn't really taken off in other countries yet.

Considering that dom and international box office gross is pretty much the same but internationally the PA numbers were way lower then the movie appears to have been more heavily affected by piracy in international markets. Then again I don't know who many Disney+ subscribers there are domestic vs international. If that number is also lopsided then it makes sense that BW made so much less from PA internationally.

Last edited:
VERY EXCITING!
Glad to hear that.
In terms of its financial success, I feel that this film is given NO RESPECT!

I think it would be given more respect if F9 didn't make almost twice as much as Black Widow worldwide. Of course, F9 grossed 200M+ in China alone but Black Widow is still behind F9 even if we exclude China. And I think everybody expected Black Widow (an MCU movie) to gross more than F9, even with PA. Not saying that it was a realistic expectation but them's the breaks.

Well, No one is going to break BW's debut numbers until we are FIRMLY out of the pandemic.
So, there's THAT!

Well, No one is going to break BW's debut numbers until we are FIRMLY out of the pandemic.
So, there's THAT!

Shang-Chi is projected to have a 60-70M 3-day weekend right now. If that ends up happening then I think at least one movie coming in the fall will beat BW's opening weekend.

I don’t think you can call this a flop or a hit. Too many asterisks for its box office run.

Reactions: B
So, there's THAT!
When I wrote those words, I NEVER Imagined that the next movie to have the potential to break that record would be an MCU film about the Most Obscure Character Marvel Ever Gave an Origin Movie To.
BONKERS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"