Black Widow at the Box Office!

I agree. It does, however, tamp down theatrical numbers and changes the calculus on what is a hit or a bomb. In other words, given the success of D+, Max, and those to come, we may never again see Endgame numbers at the box office. Even if they decide against same day releases, this will lead to shorter BO runs.
Only if we are still dealing with Covid ten years later. Movie tickets would be much more eXpensive in 10 years so that should inflate the numbers.

I look at the boX office of China and its crazy how some of their movies can gross over 600 million in China alone.

I had a VERY similar experience on the Tuesday after BW opened. I went to the Tuesday, noon XD showing of BW and there were 2 or 3 other people in an auditorium that seats 330 people. Parking right next to the parking lot exit was a snap. They had one ticket taker at the door and a couple of people working the concessions. I don't normally do this, but I'm not ready to deal with theater food just yet so I had a small sandwich in my jacket pocket along with a beverage. This was at the XD 18 in LA (Howard Hughes on Center).

This and some earlier comments also lead me to my old argument that comparing BO totals for Gone with the Wind to theatrical runs 40, 50, 60, etc. years later doesn't make sense. D+ being a prime example of how the landscape has changed; not to mention COVID.

Where was the theater you went to?

EDIT: I wasn't sure I was going to go right up until I bought my ticket. When I saw that only a few seats were selected and were far away from where I was going to sit, I decided to go for it and I'm an AVID moviegoer.
Yeah, I bought my ticket through the app just 20 minutes ahead of time when I could see just 3 other tickets had been sold. First movie I’ve seen in a theater since BoP. I’m up in northwestern Indiana, basically the Chicago exurbs.

I still haven’t gone back to the theaters yet. I was thinking about Shang Chi but with the way things are going with Delta…I think I can wait the 45 day window.

I've been twice. A Quiet Place 2 and BW. The only reason I went was it was a Tuesday matinee (not to be redundant......) and there were only 2 or 3 other people in a 300+ seat auditorium and we were miles away from each other.

If they breached contract and didn't renegotiate with her, they deserve to get sued and to the people who think she's "ungrateful", you sign contracts to ensure mutually agreeable distributions and not to go back on your word. I get tired of hearing people say "well X is rich and they should be happy with what they have".

McDonalds sued some place in Santa Cruz called McDharmas that only sold vege burgers and healthy food. The owner told me that they didn't think McDonalds had a case, but they didn't have the resources to fight it out with a major corporation in court so don't talk to me about fairness. :sbr:

Only if we are still dealing with Covid ten years later. Movie tickets would be much more eXpensive in 10 years so that should inflate the numbers.

I look at the boX office of China and its crazy how some of their movies can gross over 600 million in China alone.

Disagree. Technological changes will affect movie theaters going forward and platforms like D+, Max, etc. will shorten theatrical runs and decrease revenues in more ways than one.

Disagree. Technological changes will affect movie theaters going forward and platforms like D+, Max, etc. will shorten theatrical runs and decrease revenues in more ways than one.
We shall see. Movies in China keep grossing over 300 million and above. So I don't think boX office numbers have already peaked in North America. Unless people in North America really don't want to go to the theaters anymore. Like I said, if Covid lasts for ten years then maybe - since that seems to be the one thing holding down the boX office right now.

We shall see. Movies in China keep grossing over 300 million and above. So I don't think boX office numbers have already peaked in North America. Unless people in North America really don't want to go to the theaters anymore. Like I said, if Covid lasts for ten years then maybe - since that seems to be the one thing holding down the boX office right now.

Yes we will. The thing is that I can always be proven wrong. You can't. :cwink:

I think widely used streaming services will eat into repeat viewings and theatrical runs.

Yes we will. The thing is that I can always be proven wrong. You can't. :cwink:

I think widely used streaming services will eat into repeat viewings and theatrical runs.
Streaming services already eXisted when Avengers Endgame broke records. Adjusted for inflation, it didn't outgross Gone in the Wind. But years of price increase in movie tickets is certainly a factor why movies can outgrossed older movies even if fewer people actually go to the cinemas. Thats my point, in the part I bolded from your post. But if you think no film can outgrossed Endgame, okay then.

But worldwide, may I remind you again, there are movies in China this 2021 that already outgrossed mcu films. There are two movies there grossed over 600 million. The highest grossing film earned more than 800 million in China alone. Who knows 1 day, those films could gross more than 2.5 billion.

2021 Worldwide Box Office - Box Office Mojo

Streaming services already eXisted when Avengers Endgame broke records. Adjusted for inflation, it didn't outgross Gone in the Wind. But years of price increase in movie tickets is certainly a factor why movies can outgrossed older movies even if fewer people actually go to the cinemas. Thats my point, in the part you bolded from the post. But if you think no film can outgrossed Endgame, okay then.

May I remind you again, there are movies in China this 2021 that already outgrossed mcu films. Iirc one movie there grossed over 600 million. Who knows 1 day, those films could gross more than 2.5 billion.

Oh....of COURSE they had streaming services, but we are seeing a dramatic growth in studio's use of these services as well as existing streaming services entering the movie production field. Theatrical runs have been shrinking and will continue to do so. I know we disagree on this, but inflation isn't really a way to compare movies from different eras. Frankly, it can't really be done accurately for statistical reasons I won't go into again. If you look at other technological, social, etc. issues, it comes up to be an arbitrary comparison. Also, price increases don't track overall inflation. GWTW was the BO gorilla of its time. No doubt about it, but to try to make any (accurate) comparison to EG just doesn't work. There are just too many differences that are impossible to quantify.

Oh....of COURSE they had streaming services, but we are seeing a dramatic growth in studio's use of these services as well as existing streaming services entering the movie production field. Theatrical runs have been shrinking and will continue to do so. I know we disagree on this, but inflation isn't really a way to compare movies from different eras. Frankly, it can't really be done accurately for statistical reasons I won't go into again. If you look at other technological, social, etc. issues, it comes up to be an arbitrary comparison. Also, price increases don't track overall inflation. GWTW was the BO gorilla of its time. No doubt about it, but to try to make any (accurate) comparison to EG just doesn't work. There are just too many differences that are impossible to quantify.
You mentioned Endgame numbers which is either 800 million in North America or 2.7 worldwide. Hello Mom, a Chinese movie grossed over 800 million in China alone. BoX office numbers in China are less predictable as a decade ago, none of their local films earned that much. What else more in ten years? Its not an American film but that is still a movie that got Endgame numbers (if you are referring to Endgame's domestic number), it just happened in another country

While domestically - North america, like I said, if people stop going from cinemas due to Covid if that virus is still a big concern 10 years after it broke out. Okay. We may not. But still movie ticket prices will increase. Black widow for eXample already outgrossed The Incredible Hulk, but I am pretty sure more people in North America saw The Incredible Hulk in theaters than Black Widow. Movie tickets are much cheaper in 2008 than in 2019. Adjusted for inflation, Black widow has to be the lowest grossing mcu film right now. I am referring to the numbers here.

I've been twice. A Quiet Place 2 and BW. The only reason I went was it was a Tuesday matinee (not to be redundant......) and there were only 2 or 3 other people in a 300+ seat auditorium and we were miles away from each other.

If they breached contract and didn't renegotiate with her, they deserve to get sued and to the people who think she's "ungrateful", you sign contracts to ensure mutually agreeable distributions and not to go back on your word. I get tired of hearing people say "well X is rich and they should be happy with what they have".

McDonalds sued some place in Santa Cruz called McDharmas that only sold vege burgers and healthy food. The owner told me that they didn't think McDonalds had a case, but they didn't have the resources to fight it out with a major corporation in court so don't talk to me about fairness. :sbr:
Exactly. A DEAL IS A DEAL!

Btw, it will take awhile.
But, Bob Chapek is toast as Disney CEO.
What he is doing is interfering with Disney's relationship with it's talent.
That is a nonstarter.

Btw, it will take awhile.
But, Bob Chapek is toast as Disney CEO.
What he is doing is interfering with Disney's relationship with it's talent.
That is a nonstarter.

As long as the board of directors and shareholders are happy, I don’t think he’ll be going anywhere anytime soon.

It would be a scandalous bomb if he got paid and she doesn’t. Don’t think Disney could be that stupid but if that’s the case, someone at Disney will take the fall, though not the CEO.

The most impressive record Endgame set was it's Per theater average record. That record it broke was 36 years old and it was held by Return of the Jedi. For a wide release that is SPECTACULAR. That's the record I don't think we will see broken again anytime soon. Unless....after covid...something like Avengers vs. x-men(imagine if Disney Brought back the old original Fox xmen. Won't happen but just imagine). Secret Wars will be bonkers too. But even then since theaters are closing down permantly, I'm still not sure about that record being broken again.

Sadly Covid is speeding up the future here with streaming and the shorten theatrical window. I remember going to see Return of the King as a teenager and it stayed in theaters for 6-8 months. That just doesn't happen anymore. I'm not really a fan of streaming when it comes to blockbusters. Some movies are meant for the theaters and it's experience. Everything is so front loaded now-a-days too.

On the other hand I don't think any movie released so far in this Covid era has been super anticipated by the general public. I'm still looking to see what Spider-Man No Way Home will do at the box office.

$ma$h.

Just 5 million away from outgrossing The Fast Saga.
Is that even possible?

the 3rd/4th weekend numbers of F9 don't seem far off to Black Widow's.

Edit: Black Widow already outgrossed f9 today. I hope Black Widow keeps that #1 position, until Spidey.

I've heard people say BW bombed at the BO, but don't think it's accurate to compare it to movies pre COVID. Movies in general aren't going to do that well so let's stop trying to make those comparisons. I don't think studios expect to make a lot (or maybe any) money right now with these early releases. Contracts and other costs were calculated pre COVID and a lot of these studios are just trying to recoup losses. Breaking even would be icing on the cake.

350 million during a pandemic without a release in my country and China isn't definitely a boX office bomb in my eyes. I wouldn't even call it an underperformer especially when the film was/is also accessible in D+ premier access for a fee.

Anddddd like I said. No movie anytime soon is opening to 80 million. People who clowned black widows opening are looking real weird right now. TSS is set to open in the 20s and I have no idea what shang chi is gonna do. 80 million OW and it was on premiere access too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"