Eternals Eternals at the Box Office

Reaction score
Is it going to be as successful as the first Guardians of the Galaxy/Iron Man or would it perform like the first film for Ant-Man/Captain America/Thor or is it going to be as massive as the first film for Avengers/Black Panther/Captain Marvel by earning a billion at the box office?

So far, the other two films opening in its opening weekend are animation films and I can see the fox movie moving. While the rest of November from the big five are still untitled.

Ant-man's biggest draw backs I think initially were his name, and that the shrinking gimmic had been done on screen to death.

I'm going with Guardians level. The fact that it's tied in will help, a lot of people will go just to see how. Plus it's new and different. But I don't see a cultural significance helping like it did with Black Panther, and possibly a little with Capt. Marvel. Nor do I see the specific tie-in, and craving like Capt Marvel had coming out between IFW and EG.

Also there's a potential for "big monsters" and lots of sci-fi which seem to play well over seas.

Still very early to call but unless the visuals and trailers really disappoint I'd set the bar around Guardians.

I'm going to guess around Doctor Strange 1 numbers. Hopefully there's a better match-up of comedy and serious moments in what should be a "epic" scale movie like this (thought the humor in Doctor Strange 1 was pretty terrible and jarring with the rest of the movie).

I think it will perform like the first Ant-Man film.
Telling people the same thing. Read my sig. It is not going to be as successful as people think despite the cast.

Do you have to include it in your sig though?

Also, the first Ant-Man movie didnt exactly have an Avengers boost, so as Eternals as none of its characters have yet to appear in an Avengers movie.

It might struggle to hit 500 million if the coronavirus is a lot worse in November and by the point it would have affected other big movies as well. The Eternals movie probably cost less than 180 million, so more or less 455 million imo, wouldn't be disastrous.

Do you have to include it in your sig though?

Also, the first Ant-Man movie didnt exactly have an Avengers boost, so as Eternals as none of its characters have yet to appear in an Avengers movie.

It might struggle to hit 500 million if the coronavirus is a lot worse in November and by the point it would have affected other big movies as well. The Eternals movie probably cost less than 180 million, so more or less 455 million imo, wouldn't be disastrous.
giphy.gif

I honestly see this as a good thing. If it doesn't do as well as expected, it's going to fast track the F4 and Xmen in the MCU because investors are already nervous about the MCU with Downey and Evans. Sometimes in order to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs.

Eh. Already nervous when they still have movies for Thor, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Guardians? While Ant-Man and Dr. Strange have more brand power in the movies compare to another Fantastic Four movie reboot. I don't know any other film franchise/studio that have so many valuable ips under 1 movie franchise aside from Marvel (not even Dc can come close). So I highly disagree with your statement.

Also, lets not forget that Disney greenlit this movie before they officially got FoX. So it wasn't like they set aside F4/mutants over the Eternals.

Last edited:
I really want this to do well. They’ve got a decent cast together and I would like some team films outside the core ones, especially those with a bit of mythology to throw around.

Eh. Already nervous when they still have movies for Thor, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Guardians? While Ant-Man and Dr. Strange have more brand power in the movies than another Fantastic Four movie reboot. I don't know any other film franchise/studio that have so many valuable ips under 1 movie franchise aside from Marvel (not even Dc can't come close). So I highly disagree with your statement.

Also, lets not forget that Disney greenlit this movie before they officially got FoX. So it wasn't like they set aside F4/mutants over the Eternals.
I hear you but this film has a lot going just as much for it as against it. I love the cast and it does have Marvel's logo on it but I just don't see it doing well. Call me a hater but there are reasons why and I think the closer you get to the date, it will come out. Even if it tracks for $700M WW, I don't believe it will. The said the same thing about BOP but it didn't perform.............same thing with this.

Well if this struggles then that should give you an indication how another Fantastic 4 reboot would perform at the box office.

Plus If you believe that the investors are nervous with rdj/Chris Evans in the mcu,then that won't be good news for the f4 if the Eternals underperform, or perform disastrously as Bop as it would have an effect in launching newer ips within the mcu.

Well if this struggles then that should give you an indication how another Fantastic 4 reboot would perform, especially if you believe that the investors are nervous with rdj/Chris Evans in the mcu. If the Eternals underperforms, or perform disastrously as Bop, that won't be good news for the f4.
Let's be real: Eternals is kind of bottom of the barrel for Marvel. I'm a huge Marvel zombie but I'm just being honest. F4 and X-men are two of Marvel's top brands with name villains in Dr. Doom and Magneto. There is NO COMPARISON. Even Comic fans can't name these guy's villains. But again, because of content in the movie, it won't be shown in every country unless it's edited and I am not sure it will even be released in China.

Gotg was once in the bottom barrel and look what happened. Thing is if you don't believe the Marvel Studios brand isn't strong enough to launch the Eternals in the movie, then another F4 movie is doomed as well.

Marvel's avid readers aren't majority of Marvel's ticket buyers, its the general public. The general public doesn't care who are or not in the bottom barrel or else, Guardians/Capt. Marvel/Ant-Man and Black Panther wouldn't have outgrossed the X-Men and the Fantastic Four at the box office.

Gotg was once in the bottom barrel and look what happened. Thing is if you don't believe the Marvel Studios brand isn't strong enough to launch the Eternals in the movie, then another F4 movie is doomed as well.

Marvel's avid readers aren't majority of Marvel's ticket buyers, its the general public. The general public doesn't care who are or not in the bottom barrel or else, Guardians/Capt. Marvel/Ant-Man and Black Panther wouldn't have outgrossed the X-Men and the Fantastic Four at the box office.
GotG was NOT bottom of the barrel. Giffen had a huge comic run. Plus it was different at the time. A space opera. But like I said, we agree to disagree. I stick by my prediction.
giphy.gif

Eh. You're arguments aren't just realistic. And you are ignoring what I said. If an Eternals movie is going to flop then what makes you think another Fantastic Four movie reboot would be welcomed by the general public especially after the 2015 film? Then you also said investors are nervous without Rdj/Chris Evans as if those two are only draw left in the mcu?

Eh. You're arguments aren't just realistic. And you are ignoring what I said. If an Eternals movie is going to flop then what makes you think another Fantastic Four movie reboot would be welcomed by the general public especially after the 2015 film? Then you also said investors are nervous without Rdj/Chris Evans as if those two are only draw left in the mcu?
I get what you are saying and all but time will tell. I stand by what I said about this movie. Not about hating but just being real. F4 and X-men in the MCU has way more hype. But like I said, time will tell. We will revisit this convo as time goes on.

there's no way this will do antman number with marvel brand + this big diverse cast + new fresh heroes. lol

and majority, I mean +95% of ticket sales come from locals, non-comic book fan. and +99% in international market.
also F4 is not that popular, known as you think to locals.

I get what you are saying and all but time will tell. I stand by what I said about this movie. Not about hating but just being real. F4 and X-men in the MCU has way more hype. But like I said, time will tell. We will revisit this convo as time goes on.
F4 has more hype? Hype where?

F4 has more hype? Hype where?
You hear more about the casting of Wolverine and the F4 than you do about this movie that comes out THIS YEAR! Again, I take it you are a fan, I'm an obsessed Marvel fan as well but this thing has a lot going against it. The cast is great but it's unknown and won't be released in a lot of countries because of some of the undertones. I don't know how many times I can say it. :huh:

Who even called you a hater in this thread? No one. Why you keep making stuff up just to prove your point? This is another example.

Also there's literally no hype regarding a F4 film reboot. Outside of this forum and other movie sites, I don't think its in anyone's radar. And even if there's "hype" online, that doesn't mean it would fare better than a film like Eternals that hasn't been rebooted twice after three not so great films.

And how do you know Eternals won't be released in certain countries? Disney could cut certain scenes just for their films to be screened internationally and to earn extra buck. Its not that complicated.

Last edited:
Who even called you a hater in this thread? No one. Why you keep making stuff up just to prove your point? This is another example.

Also there's literally no hype regarding a F4 film reboot. Outside of this forum and other movie sites, I don't think its in anyone's radar. And even if there's "hype" online, that doesn't mean it would fare better than a film like Eternals that hasn't been rebooted twice after three not so great films.

And how do you know Eternals won't be released in certain countries? Disney could cut certain scenes just for their films to be screened internationally and to earn extra buck. Its not that complicated.
I never said anyone called me a hater. :whatever: Dude this is the box office prediction thread and I gave my opinion and it's not going to change. I get it, you are more hyped for this than F4 but I guarantee you for most fans that is not the case. Please don't try and turn me into a villain for speaking "against" this film. It has a great cast going for it. But it also is a VERY unknown property with controversial subplots which won't allow it to be played in a lot of countries. That will come into play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"