Eternals Eternals at the Box Office

As for Marvel's next feature, "Eternals" from Oscar-winning director Chloé Zhao, insiders say the studio is committed to a theatrical release in November, but, as with every feature title, decisions will be made about whether the film will also debut on Premier Access based on up-to-date market conditions and the status of the pandemic. Whatever call the studio makes, it will likely have to happen around early September — right when "Shang-Chi" debuts in theaters.

From Black Widow to Shang-Chi, Superheroes Face Iffy Box Office Future - Variety

I hope the low 2nd weekend drop of Free Guy convinces Disney not to release this on Premier Access.

If superhero films are struggling, surely most other films will also be in trouble. At least there is some built in loyalty with these.

The movie got 1 less competition with Top Gun Maverick moving to 2022.

trailer's reaction were amazing. this is going to be hit.

Please, PLEEEEEASE keep this as a theatrical exclusive like SHANG-CHi, Disney! You'll be rewarded! Box office runs make the success of films even more fun to follow. It adds to the hype.

Please, PLEEEEEASE keep this as a theatrical exclusive like SHANG-CHi, Disney! You'll be rewarded! Box office runs make the success of films even more fun to follow. It adds to the hype.

Doesn't look like it will happen with Eternals if the projected numbers for Shang Chi are anything to go by.

Yeah, Disney really has no reason to release this in Premier Access after the success of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. Though I think Disney should probably extend the 45 day window to 60 days if the film does well at the boX office.

I think this is at least guaranteed to open at 50 to 60 million in North America rn.

Yeah, Disney really has no reason to release this in Premier Access after the success of Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.
I think they'll wait to see the drop in the second weekend for Shang-Chi before making any final decision on that.

I agree. And because it won't have premier access like the previous Disney movies or bad word of mouth like F9 to kill its legs, I think the drop is going to be more to their satisfaction this time.

With how well Shang-Chi did, I am not as worried about this being an unknown product. They have a bigger known cast, they name drop Thanos in the trailer and will talk about how they did not want to be involved.

I think they'll wait to see the drop in the second weekend for Shang-Chi before making any final decision on that.
Even if it dropped like Black Widow. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings wouldn't have opened the way it did if it was accessible through Disney+.

I always thought that Eternals had the higher ceiling between it and Shang Chi. Shang Chi managing to rake in 75 million over 3 days makes me a believer that Eternals has a good chance at a 100 million opening weekend.

Even if it doesn't I think it definitely beats Shang Chi and Black Widow's opening 3 day.

There are more characters with power displays so that should help plus Angelina Jolie in a Marvel movie is a huge selling point.

I always thought that Eternals had the higher ceiling between it and Shang Chi. Shang Chi managing to rake in 75 million over 3 days makes me a believer that Eternals has a good chance at a 100 million opening weekend.

Even if it doesn't I think it definitely beats Shang Chi and Black Widow's opening 3 day.
Yeah, agreed. If they all maxed their potential I’d have expected Eternals to come out with the bigger gross.

There are more characters with power displays so that should help plus Angelina Jolie in a Marvel movie is a huge selling point.
Yeah, hopefully this allows for some stellar scenes. I’m very interested in what Jolie will be like after not seeing her in films for a good while, and I would think a chunk of the GA might feel the same.

I think that's right. I think this may well do OW Shang-Chi numbers (remember SC opened on a 4 day weekend) or maybe a little bit better. I think SC's recent success and WOM will help. The release schedule worked out really well and SC helped prime the pump for this section of the movie going public. The risk was mainly in SC's court because we didn't really know if people were ready to go to theaters to see a SH movie where the hero is relatively unknown. BW set the stage and encouraged people to show up and see a well known hero.....and they did. When all is said and done, we may well have 4 Marvel movies at the top of the BO charts for 2021. Of course a movie or so might also be in there (thinking Bond in particular).

I don't see a Bond movie doing as well as a Mcu in North America in this time. But who knows.

I'm not that optimistic this would open as high as Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, but I hope it gets legs as strong as that movie.

I don't see a Bond movie doing as well as a Mcu in North America in this time. But who knows.

I'm not that optimistic this would open as high as Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, but I hope it gets legs as strong as that movie.

We'll see. That's why I said another movie "might" crack the top 4. Bond (and Craig) has done well at the box office in the past so it seems like the most likely candidate from where I sit.

As far as Eternals box office, I can "see" it doing SC type of OW numbers and maybe a little better. I say that because I think SC kind of got the interest level up a notch or two when it comes to seeing SH movies in the pandemic era and there are some more recognizable stars in the movie. Star power helps and Angelina Jolie definitely has that.

It'll be tough for The Eternals to have the same legs as SC because it doesn't have as good a corridor IMO.

Spectre outgrossed Ant-Man in 2015 butthat movie didn't even hit 200 million in North America and was just a big drop to Skyfall in comparison.

You're making my point.

"When all is said and done, we may well have 4 Marvel movies at the top of the BO charts for 2021. Of course a movie or so might also be in there (thinking Bond in particular)."

It would be cool if the top 4 highest grossing films in North America are all MCU films.

It's very likely but I hope not.
I hope its the case as none of the upcoming 2021 films are as interesting as Eternals and Spider-Man: No Way Home to me.

MatriX Resurrections/Dune would probably be hurt by the day/date HBO MaX release.

It's very likely but I hope not.
:funny:

Really, I think what we should all be hoping to happen is for the box office to recover in general and not for all theatrical releases to do as well as possible; at least at this point in time. We could be in a transition period away from going to theaters and I think the studios are looking at their bottom line. "IF" the 4 MCU movies are at the top of the box office by year's end, it tells me that they are doing something right and others should take heed. It's in this context that I sort of hope the 4 MCU movies ARE in at least the top 5 (and I think this is almost assured). Specifically, Disney isn't streaming movies same day for at least the rest of the year and that encourages people to go to the movies (safely please). That helps the entire industry. For some reason, Warner decided to release some movies on their streaming platform simultaneously with the theatrical release. As I understand it, there's no premium charge for it as there is with Disney so they've accomplished two things are far as I can see; first, they've found a way to suppress the theatrical box office receipts and, second, they will get very little, if any, increased revenue from streaming. I also read that they are cutting the monthly cost of Max because of losing some titles (not 100% sure of this).

Frankly, certain business models are better than others. From my vantage point, Warner has made a bit of a mess of things and I hope they wake up. I hope Disney believes they made a mistake by streaming Black Widow same day (although they made a S***Ton of money that went directly into their coffers) and will continue on the road they are currently on; which helps the theaters. My fear is that they are just evaluating their bottom line and may decide to go back to same day streaming; with the premium associated cost of course.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"