Eternals Eternals at the Box Office

I don't see that happening at all. But we will see.............
At this point, I don't either. I think the RT ratings will drive it down somewhat. My guess is they expected a better reception from the critics.

At this point, I don't either. I think the RT ratings will drive it down somewhat. My guess is they expected a better reception from the critics.
I honestly don't think it's the critics. The movie looks boring AF, no one knows the characters(I'm a Marvel diehard and I barely know them)the villains look generic AF, introducing to many characters at once............this movie had a lot going against it from the start.

I honestly don't think it's the critics. The movie looks boring AF, no one knows the characters(I'm a Marvel diehard and I barely know them)the villains look generic AF, introducing to many characters at once............this movie had a lot going against it from the start.
I liked the last trailer and got sort of a Prometheus vibe from it....in case you're wondering, that's a good thing for me. :yay:

Not knowing the characters isn’t a big deal. Look at guardians. They just didn’t promote this well enough to be more than something visually interesting.

Not knowing the characters isn’t a big deal. Look at guardians. They just didn’t promote this well enough to be more than something visually interesting.

Have you missed all those tv spots that have more views on Youtube than the Shang-Chi ones? Or the character introduction video they released earlier this week? There's literally a new Eternals video on Marvel Entertainment's channel every day.

The posters/promotional piX does look more polished/stylized than the posters/promo piX for Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

GOTG promotes a lot of fun they are a what you see is what you get group.
You see a giant tree that says Groot, a Raccoon with a foul mouth, a snarky lead in Star Lord, a warrior in Gamora, a big dense oath in Drax. Easy to get to know 5 characters in a wacky fun adventure with good music pumped in.

Eternals is asking viewers to do a lot of work since most of the trailers don't come off fun. It is a giant group of like 8 or 10 never appeared in anything like cartoons or video games. I can't see many kids wanting to view it just because it is Marvel. I want to get excited for the movie like every Marvel movie but I just can't bother learning these characters names and powers when I expect most to die. I am not expecting a sequel and those that survive will be side characters. Probably the wrong way of thinking going in, but it is my current feeling for the movie.

Very interested to see how the movie does. The power of the Marvel brand will really be put to the test.
Probably big opening week
no competition in week 2 so #1 because of that but it does not mean a ton of money.
week 3 Ghostbusters will be #1 this probably 2nd
Thanksgiving week depends since nothing comes out, Ghostbusters could still be #1 if it gets good praise.

GOTG promotes a lot of fun they are a what you see is what you get group.
You see a giant tree that says Groot, a Raccoon with a foul mouth, a snarky lead in Star Lord, a warrior in Gamora, a big dense oath in Drax. Easy to get to know 5 characters in a wacky fun adventure with good music pumped in.

Eternals is asking viewers to do a lot of work since most of the trailers don't come off fun. It is a giant group of like 8 or 10 never appeared in anything like cartoons or video games. I can't see many kids wanting to view it just because it is Marvel. I want to get excited for the movie like every Marvel movie but I just can't bother learning these characters names and powers when I expect most to die. I am not expecting a sequel and those that survive will be side characters. Probably the wrong way of thinking going in, but it is my current feeling for the movie.
Agreed and that's what I don't get! Eternals and GotG are 2 different genres it seems. GotG comes off as a fun film in outer space. This comes off like Gone with the Wind with superheroes. There are no known characters in the film and notice how they are leaning on past Marvel movies to sell it. For people to compare this with GotG is quite a reach!

Probably big opening week
no competition in week 2 so #1 because of that but it does not mean a ton of money.
week 3 Ghostbusters will be #1 this probably 2nd
Thanksgiving week depends since nothing comes out, Ghostbusters could still be #1 if it gets good praise.
My prediction? $60M OW and a HUGE drop the second weekend. But............I maybe wrong.

I don't agree with this idea that all Marvel films are like the others. I don't think Winter Soldier was this quippy fun rompy comedy.

I agree, but there is a sense I am getting essentially here that Marvel should have just made this identical to something like GotG or something. I find that notion to be fairly limiting if all their films must be super jokey romps. They tried a more serious approach here, and maybe it didn't work. I don't know, I haven't seen it. But even if it didn't work, that doesn't mean all the movies should just be the same cut and paste style. There should be room for all kinds of movies, and super jokey films can maybe suck too.

I don't agree with this idea that all Marvel films are like the others. I don't think Winter Soldier was this quippy fun rompy comedy.

Not every Marvel cosmic film with new characters has to be a fun romp like GotG.

Winter Soldier is my favorite of all the MCU movies, it had well placed humor. We also had Cap appear for two movies in Cap 1 and Avengers.

Yes they may need some semi serious space characters with GOTG and Captain Marvel herself being quip heavy.

Just hard to sell a giant group like this, I am sure Kamil will be saying some jokes since he is a stand up comedian. The movie will have some fun since it is Marvel, but with all the characters expected at the end of this phase I feel Eternals maybe forgotten as a whole.

Winter Soldier is my favorite of all the MCU movies, it had well placed humor. We also had Cap appear for two movies in Cap 1 and Avengers.

Yes they may need some semi serious space characters with GOTG and Captain Marvel herself being quip heavy.

Just hard to sell a giant group like this, I am sure Kamil will be saying some jokes since he is a stand up comedian. The movie will have some fun since it is Marvel, but with all the characters expected at the end of this phase I feel Eternals maybe forgotten as a whole.

Very well maybe. We gotta see what kind of business the movie attracts

If I were somebody who had never seen a Marvel film and I came into this forum and saw these reactions, I would naturally assume that the MCU's success was built ENTIRELY on RT scores.
But, in reality, THAT IS NOT THE CASE!

Last edited:
Very interested to see how the movie does. The power of the Marvel brand will really be put to the test.
If Eternals is putting the Marvel brand to the test than No Way Home & Multiverse of Madness will be when the Marvel Brand, BOUNCES BACK!

Agreed and that's what I don't get! Eternals and GotG are 2 different genres it seems. GotG comes off as a fun film in outer space. This comes off like Gone with the Wind with superheroes. There are no known characters in the film and notice how they are leaning on past Marvel movies to sell it. For people to compare this with GotG is quite a reach!
There certainly is a romance, But Gone With The Wind? Sersi certainly doesn't seem as bratty & selfish as Scarlett Ohara to me.And Ikaris barely talks in the trailers.

If Eternals is putting the Marvel brand to the test than No Way Home & Multiverse of Madness will be when the Marvel Brand, BOUNCES BACK!
The only test to me from Marvel and the brand is how far they feel they can go in the roster for movies. If Eternals does well enough they can do lesser known characters once or twice a phase. The rest of the phase is pretty stacked that if Eternals was not liked by majority it is quickly forgotten, MCU brand won't feel it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"