Eternals Eternals at the Box Office

I actually think Afterlife is pretty much guaranteed a sequel because Sony is thirsty for a franchise right now that they can ride. Men in black wasn't wasn't but they keep looking for it.
They might, but even with a reasonable budget, it's got a way to go at the BO if it's even going to break even. Sony doesn't really have the cache that, say, Marvel or Disney does. No one likes to lose money, but some can play the long game better because of resources. Personally, I think it's more likely to see more of the Eternals (maybe their own movie and maybe not) than having a follow up to Ghostbusters unless they trim back on the budget even more than they did this time.

They might, but even with a reasonable budget, it's got a way to go at the BO if it's even going to break even. Sony doesn't really have the cache that, say, Marvel or Disney does. No one likes to lose money, but some can play the long game better because of resources. Personally, I think it's more likely to see more of the Eternals (maybe their own movie and maybe not) than having a follow up to Ghostbusters unless they trim back on the budget even more than they did this time.

Nah, Ghostbusters looks like it's safely going to be the family film of the season until just before Christmas. It's showing good legs.

A sequel is all but assured at this point. There can be more than one hit in a season.

Nah, Ghostbusters looks like it's safely going to be the family film of the season until just before Christmas. It's showing good legs.

A sequel is all but assured at this point. There can be more than one hit in a season.

We'll see. It's a little bit premature to start talking about legs when the second weekend is only half over. I suspect it will have decent legs, but lower grossing movies usually do. It generally seems like the more money a movie makes OW, the more precipitous the drop on week 2. Still, it doesn't look like it's going to make a ton of money and doesn't really seem to be killing it at the foreign box office. It's been out for about a week in some larger markets, but doesn't seem to be doing much. At least it doesn't look like it's going to lose money and that's saying something in the current environment.

I think it'll probably get a sequel, but don't think it's a gimme. There are clearly other movies that are contending for the "family" film honors.

Y’all do know there’s an Afterlife thread on the misc films board, right? :cwink:

anyhoo…

Last edited:
Y’all do know there’s an Afterlife thread on the misc films board, right? :cwink:

anyhoo…

everything-is-connected-neil-degrasse-tyson.gif

anyhoo…

Seems to have done quite well overseas; even without China.

Looks a lot like Ant-Man numbers.

Seems to have done quite well overseas; even without China.

Looks a lot like Ant-Man numbers.
So............................ is that a good thing? I, for one, don't think it is. No Marvel movie after Endgame should make less than $500M WW because of the brand. I just think the way phase 4 is right now........it is not a good look at all! And putting off all the big guns to whenever is not a good idea. Marvel is not to big to fail.

So............................ is that a good thing? I, for one, don't think it is. No Marvel movie after Endgame should make less than $500M WW because of the brand. I just think the way phase 4 is right now........it is not a good look at all! And putting off all the big guns to whenever is not a good idea. Marvel is not to big to fail.

I think it's doing "OK". I wouldn't describe it as good or bad. As I've said before, I think they are setting the stage for Phase 4 and, "if" I'm right, I'm good with a couple of new groups of characters. We'll get the FF and some cool new villains, but I would rather they not rush it. I liked Shang-Chi and liked The Eternals (esp after 2nd viewing). We've got DS, Thor and others coming up so I'm not really that worried about it. Marvel took their C list characters, did the intro, built up the first Avengers, introduced lesser known characters and built them up for the IW and EG finale.

Maybe they mess it up and maybe they don't, but nothing tells me Phase 4 will not work.

Big shock here.....I completely disagree with your WRT to what WW Box office "should" be. 500M should certainly be in reach, but the BO is way off because of COVID. It might very well have hit 500 with China, but likely would have come in a shade under that. Pre-pandemic, this goes way over that mark.

I think it's doing "OK". I wouldn't describe it as good or bad. As I've said before, I think they are setting the stage for Phase 4 and, "if" I'm right, I'm good with a couple of new groups of characters. We'll get the FF and some cool new villains, but I would rather they not rush it. I liked Shang-Chi and liked The Eternals (esp after 2nd viewing). We've got DS, Thor and others coming up so I'm not really that worried about it. Marvel took their C list characters, did the intro, built up the first Avengers, introduced lesser known characters and built them up for the IW and EG finale.

Maybe they mess it up and maybe they don't, but nothing tells me Phase 4 will not work.

Big shock here.....I completely disagree with your WRT to what WW Box office "should" be. 500M should certainly be in reach, but the BO is way off because of COVID. It might very well have hit 500 with China, but likely would have come in a shade under that. Pre-pandemic, this goes way over that mark.
I KNEW that excuse was coming! Two Words: Venom and Spiderman: No way home. Watch how the latter does and this is after some new variant came out.

I KNEW that excuse was coming! Two Words: Venom and Spiderman: No way home. Watch how the latter does and this is after some new variant came out.
If opinions are excuses, so be it. Let’s take the latest installment of Venom. It’s probably doing marginally better than Eternals and benefited from a publicly popular movie. Spidey is not a comparable IP. We all know that.

It’s doing okay. Not great and not poor.

I mean.... I don't know why you eXpect a movie to be doing "that well" worldwide in these times and bring up "Endgame". There's only few American films that hit $500 million worldwide. One of those films, is reported that it should gross 900 million WW to earn a profit... While Black Widow and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings didn't even hit $500 million.

Its like beating the dead horse at this point. If Eternals did so bad, at the boX office then what does it say to other blockbuster films that came out this year.

Venom 2 is overall waaaay down from first movie. Not a great example

Venom 2 is overall waaaay down from first movie. Not a great example
But it still made a lot of money during this time. I'm not bashing Eternals! I'm just being open about them putting A and B list characters on the backburner for no reason.

But it still made a lot of money during this time. I'm not bashing Eternals! I'm just being open about them putting A and B list characters on the backburner for no reason.

I think the reason they are putting them on the back burner is because they want a great intro and are setting things up. I could be completely off base, but I'm not down on how things are going just yet. Marvel can afford to play longer game here than can a lot of other studios..

WRT Venom, you would expect the sequel to do less at the BO. That usually happens when you have a first movie that exceeds expectations. Throw in COVID and that probably accounts for most of the drop off.

I don't think you are bashing Eternals, BTW. You aren't even going to see it. I just think you're sort of frustrated with the wait on the characters Marvel got from Fox. They're coming and hopefully when they do, it'll be the eye popper you're hoping for.

I would say give Eternals a chance and check it out. I've already described how I felt about it. The first viewing, I had mixed feelings, but felt it closed really well. I really thought it would benefit from a second viewing and, from my perspective, I was right. The second viewing was quite good from start to finish. For some reason, it flowed better.

CBR is saying the movie will come out on D+ on Jan 12th. Was hoping for a Christmas release but I guess that would take away from Spider-Man/Hawkeye/Boba Fett

CBR is saying the movie will come out on D+ on Jan 12th. Was hoping for a Christmas release but I guess that would take away from Spider-Man/Hawkeye/Boba Fett
Wait, what?!! When does Boba Fett come out?!?
loki-tell-me.gif

But it still dropped about half from movie 1 to 2. Even major successes for this era like F9 and Bond both have steep drops relative to their franchises. BO in general is just down. Even NWH, which is going to be huge make no mistake, will likely be leaving money on the table it would once have made thanks to the world climate. Point is, you cannot really compare the BO situations for this year's crop of MCU films at a 1:1 comparison to other MCU films. If not for Covid, who knows what these movies would have done globally. But pointing out Covid exists isn't making excuses. It is pointing out observable facts.

Now the fifth highest grossing film in North America! I don't think it would outgross f9, but if it did, all 5 Marvel movies would be in the top 5 of 2021.

Just 5 million away as well from hitting $400 million worldwide!

But it still dropped about half from movie 1 to 2. Even major successes for this era like F9 and Bond both have steep drops relative to their franchises. BO in general is just down. Even NWH, which is going to be huge make no mistake, will likely be leaving money on the table it would once have made thanks to the world climate. Point is, you cannot really compare the BO situations for this year's crop of MCU films at a 1:1 comparison to other MCU films. If not for Covid, who knows what these movies would have done globally. But pointing out Covid exists isn't making excuses. It is pointing out observable facts.
COVID is still having a big impact on every film. Even if a film explodes now and is a 10/10 perfect blockbuster, I would be hard pushed to see it more than once whereas before I might have gone back 10 times. So even wild success doesn't tell you how much more success would have been possible pre-pandemic.

COVID is still having a big impact on every film. Even if a film explodes now and is a 10/10 perfect blockbuster, I would be hard pushed to see it more than once whereas before I might have gone back 10 times. So even wild success doesn't tell you how much more success would have been possible pre-pandemic.

I'm still in awe of how folks have time to do this. Not saying that out of derision. I like that people can make time to see a movie more than once, but I just wonder how they find the time to do so? Hell, I think the last time I saw a movie more than once in a theater was Logan (only twice), and that was four years ago now! The max amount of times I've seen a film in a theater might just be three times, but in that case....it was The Dark Knight.

I'm still in awe of how folks have time to do this. Not saying that out of derision. I like that people can make time to see a movie more than once, but I just wonder how they find the time to do so? Hell, I think the last time I saw a movie more than once in a theater was Logan (only twice), and that was four years ago now! The max amount of times I've seen a film in a theater might just be three times, but in that case....it was The Dark Knight.

I think the last time I saw a movie more than once in theaters was in 2004 with Spider-Man 2. I was working in a theater so it was free to me. But yeah, I don’t know how people have the time and money to see movies more than once in theaters.

COVID will undercut the legs of any movie, but I grossly underestimated OW for NWH, so what do I know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"