Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

dude he was awesome on Sliders I had a book based on one of the episodes (pilot I think) and they even described him as how he looked like Sallah from Indy lol.

Well, Mangold directed two fantastic movies:

The Wolverine and Logan.

The Wolverine is a very underrated adventure superhero movie. And it was a hit anyway.

Mangold is a great director, so I trust him.

I am eagerly awaiting hearing the legendary John Williams score for this on the big screen he was and always be the musical 'voice' of Indy.

Gothamsknight was responding to Mutant 77's post which had already acknowledged Logan, so it doesn't seem necessary to directly bring it up if he shares the same opinion on the movie. He was simply commenting on Mangold's other work.

You forgot Logan.

Gothamsknight was responding to Mutant 77's post which had already acknowledged Logan, so it doesn't seem necessary to directly bring it up if he shares the same opinion on the movie. He was simply commenting on Mangold's other work.

Haha what Arachnerd said. :up:

He also directed Ford vs Ferrari, 3:10 to Yuma, cop Land, etc. I will say I think The Wolverine is very underrated as well.
I love Ford v Ferrari and 3:10 to Yuma might actually be my favourite western. Also Walk the Line is a great biopic and Identity is one of the best mind bending horror/mystery whodunnits. Knight and Day is the only black sheep out of the ones that I've seen.

I love Ford v Ferrari and 3:10 to Yuma might actually be my favourite western. Also Walk the Line is a great biopic and Identity is one of the best mind bending horror/mystery whodunnits. Knight and Day is the only black sheep out of the ones that I've seen.
He's got a really great filmography. It's why I'm so confident in the quality of this flick.

Mangold has to be the best journeyman director in Hollywood right now.

I wonder if Indy in 1944 is currently active with OSS when we see him given his service record or if this is his own little quest?

Considering the passage of time has to come into play as the years and mileage have finally caught up with him. This opening flashback to Indy in his mid forties gives of us a taste of the final years of a peak health Jones before the transition to the present day.

I'm betting we will see a send-off for him in this.
Not sure I would bet he dies, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if he dies either.

He probably gets a lead on an artifact.
He remembers it from his past.
He starts telling the story of it, and we go back in time and see the story.

Indy used the Holy Grail in this film so he'd have the fountain of youth and be back to the age he was in the original trilogy.

It's sad to see so much cynicism towards this film online. In some ways I get it, but I have faith Mangold will prove the doubters wrong.

The Last Crusade WAS the perfect ending. It absolutely was, but KOTCS happened, so Last Crusade isn't the ending anymore. We need another satisfying finale.

Last edited:
The dial of density:

Nadivalaya-kb76592.jpg

The world's largest sun dial.

I'm betting we will see a send-off for him in this.
Not sure I would bet he dies, but at the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if he dies either.
I don't know, I don't think Mangold will handle Indy the exact same way he did Logan, at least in regards to the character's conclusion.

It's sad to see so much cynicism towards this film online. In some ways I get it, but I have faith Mangold will prove the doubters wrong.
Some folks have just been burned out by disappointing/underwhelming conclusions to long-running franchises over the years that it's just a default coping mechanism to expect the worst. I understand that point of view. That being said, Mangold has proven to be a really good director so I think some people are really underestimating his talent. I'm still cautiously optimistic for this and will continue to be until the film comes out. Whether it turns out good or bad we have yet to see, but no option is a guarantee yet (except for those who have already made up their mind on hating it, but those peeps aren't worth paying attention to nor having any worthwhile discussion with).

Yeah the GA will absolutely go see this

But for a lot of fans, there's a number of red flags:
-Delayed Sequels are very rarely all that good
-The lead of this action film, who we all remember at his physical peak in the old movies, is now in his 80's
-A lot of CGI work in a movie series that had been done more traditionally (except the last one which left a bad taste)
-Kingdom of the Crystal Skull PTSD

Then smaller s**t like a silly sounding title and the possibility of time travel, seeing Indy in 60's New York which just feels off...

I do trust Mangold, he's a fantastic director, but even my mind does go to "Logan, but with Harrison Ford". I'm gonna try not to be a Debbie Downer from here on out, and I am hopeful he makes a great movie, but if he doesn't, I'll just go back to pretending Last Crusade was the final Indy movie.

I don't know, I don't think Mangold will handle Indy the exact same way he did Logan, at least in regards to the character's conclusion.

Some folks have just been burned out by disappointing/underwhelming conclusions to long-running franchises over the years that it's just a default coping mechanism to expect the worst. I understand that point of view. That being said, Mangold has proven to be a really good director so I think some people are really underestimating his talent. I'm still cautiously optimistic for this and will continue to be until the film comes out. Whether it turns out good or bad we have yet to see, but no option is a guarantee yet (except for those who have already made up their mind on hating it, but those peeps aren't worth paying attention to nor having any worthwhile discussion with).

Oh totally. Skepticism is totally logical and valid, I agree. I think what gets me is how people are so willing to believe the silly nonsensical rumors, almost as if they WANT it to be true. I'm so burnt out on negativity surrounding IP's today. It's hard to continue to be excited for stuff when people are yelling out absolute nonsense rumors. I know it's best to just shut them out, but I have to be honest, I blame them more than I do the ST for being burnt out on stuff like Star Wars. It's just not fun to talk about anymore, and I only enjoy it in a Vacuum.

Being skeptical is one thing, and I think people have just as many valid reasons to be excited as they do to be skeptical, which even Mangold has said is okay. I just wish people would wait to see the movie before deciding it's bad haha. There's so much we still don't know.

Last edited:
Well, Mangold directed two fantastic movies:

The Wolverine and Logan.

The Wolverine is a very underrated adventure superhero movie. And it was a hit anyway.

The Wolverine (Director's Cut) was fantastic, as long as you end the movie with Wolvie's fight against the Ninjas in the snow
The final boss fight was not good though

He also directed Ford vs Ferrari, 3:10 to Yuma, cop Land, etc. I will say I think The Wolverine is very underrated as well.

You forgot Logan.

Ya’ll also forgot Girl Interrupted and Walk the Line. I even enjoyed the hell out of Knight and Day and Kate & Leopold has its charms. Mangold is a great director.

I think it will be great.
I just don't want any silly stuff like hiding in a fridge to survive a nuclear blast, said fridge travels a mile through the air, and indy then rolls out unharmed.

I think it's gonna be great as well. And keep in mind, ViewerAnon has emphasized that what he's heard indicates the film is really really really damn great and I never doubt it when he says things like that. I feel like the issue some fans need to come to terms with is that this isn't a movie made in the 80s. It's a different era, and it's a James Mangold movie. Movies are different today and you can't help that, but I think that James will honor the feeling those original 3 films gave us while also giving us a very exciting and contemporary thrill ride. It's kinda fitting too since 1969 is a whole different era than 1939.

Maybe it's the optimist in me, but I feel even more excited for Indy this time around than I did in 2008.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"