Far From Home Jake Gyllenhaal is...Mysterio?

samsnee

Ok
Reaction score
I don't think anyone saw this coming. And to think way back in the Raimi era he was one of the ones discussed to replace Maguire for Spider-man 3.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jake-gyllenhaal-talks-star-spider-man-homecoming-2-1113627

Gyllenhaal will play the classic villain Mysterio.
Jake Gyllenhaal is ready to bring a little mystery to the Spider-Man universe.

The actor is in talks to play the classic Marvel villain Mysterio in the sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming. Spider-Man creators Stan Lee and Steve Ditko introduced Mysterio in the comics in 1964. A special effects expert, Quentin Beck used his talents to create elaborate illusions to commit crimes and to fight Spider-Man.

Tom Holland starred as the Marvel hero in Spider-Man: Homecoming and recently appeared in Avengers: Infinity War. Jon Watts is returning to direct the sequel to Homecoming, which earned $880 million worldwide. Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers, two of the screenwriters behind the first movie, are back as well.

Gyllenhaal has an interesting history with Spider-Man. Original Spider-Man star Tobey Maguire injured his back while shooting Seabiscuit in between Sam Raimi's Spider-Man (2002) and Spider-Man 2 (2004), and Gyllenhaal was briefly considered to take over the role if Maguire could not resume his duties. Maguire was able to return to work, and the filmmakers put a joke about Spider-Man hurting his back into the sequel.

Sony and Marvel's Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel is set for July 5, 2019.

Last edited:
Might wanna include some articles for the thread. :oldrazz:

This is perfect. I'm so happy about this.

I think this is what they meant by a villain/actor with "elevated" ideas. I feel that out of everyone in Spidey's rogue gallery, Mysterio is different in the sense that yes, he's theatrical, but he's obsessed with theatrics which brings his psyche to that level of "weird" and I think Gyllenhaal can portray that perfectly if you've seen NIGHTCRAWLER.

I've haven't seen Nightcrawler, I will have to check it out but wow this is going to be nice for Jake. Phase 4 should start with a bang.

I'm so excited. My favorite actor in the MCU playing a Spider-Man villain, wow. Cannot wait.

Bring on Jake Gyllenhaal in the fishbowl!

That would be awesome if it came to be.

Mysterio is an interesting villain because he is just so different from most. I put him in the same category as the Scarecrow. A psychological threat more than a physical one. He's like the Vulture. Don't make him totally faithful to the comics or else he'll be silly as he'll. Gyllenhaal is a great actor of course and even looks like Quentin Beck.

The MCU embraces the silly, though. I imagine Mysterio will be taken seriously enough, but still funny.

Whilst mysterio isn't a favourite spider villain of mine its all about how they write him, and JG is a fantastic actor. Same with vulture, and keaton was the best part of homecoming for me.

Mysterio is an interesting villain because he is just so different from most. I put him in the same category as the Scarecrow. A psychological threat more than a physical one. He's like the Vulture. Don't make him totally faithful to the comics or else he'll be silly as he'll. Gyllenhaal is a great actor of course and even looks like Quentin Beck.

All this.

My preferred take of Mysterio is where he's more over-the-top and cheesy like how he was in the early comics and the 60s cartoon (which makes Bruce Campbell never getting to be him that much more heartbreaking), but I'm not against a more serious approach especially with someone like Gyllenhaal in the role.

My preferred take of Mysterio is where he's more over-the-top and cheesy like how he was in the early comics and the 60s cartoon (which makes Bruce Campbell never getting to be him that much more heartbreaking), but I'm not against a more serious approach especially with someone like Gyllenhaal in the role.

I think the classic, 60s Mysterio is perfect for the general tone of the MCU, so my preference is for him to be silly as well.

I definitely didn't see that coming!

As much of fan I am of the earlier version of Mysetrio, I have a feeling they're gonna go more serious with it but still, Mysterio presents a nice contrast to the usual physical threats like Vulture, Shocker, etc. His attacks on Peter's psyche and emotions and with the almost unlimited amount of potential with special effects--we could be in for some really great work. We could even get some nice flashbacks to Ben as a part of the attacks on his psyche.

I definitely didn't see that coming!

latest

In all fairness... I didn't either. For sure, thought he'd take on the titular role of Batman.

He still could, I doubt this will be more than a one film deal.

Donnie Darko vs Spiderman...sign me up. :mnm:.

I'm thrilled with this potential casting. Not only is he one of the original baddies who hasn't made it to screen yet, but there's alot of cool directions they could take the character in.

He's a great actor and was considered to replace Maguire in the event he didn't return for Spiderman 2.

Its also awesome to hear Keaton will be returning as well.

Dr Strange cameo?! :p

"This is not sorcery, don't waste my time with this nonsense."

Fishbowl & green onesie or bust, biznatches.

I'm very happy to see Mysterio and I'm always happy to see Gyllenhaal, but there are quite a few other projects I'd have preferred him to take up.

I hope he's a vfx genius who gets his hands on some advanced nanites that can make his creations into realistic constructs.

Mysterio would have been my personal choice of villain, so I am beyond thrilled. Was worried about that solo movie Sony was planning.

Even if Gyllenhaal doesn't get the part (he mostly will sign though), I am still getting my dude in this movie!

I'm so excited. My favorite actor in the MCU playing a Spider-Man villain, wow. Cannot wait.

Bring on Jake Gyllenhaal in the fishbowl!

Same here! I admired Jake since his early days... so talented, so handsome, so perfect in every way :woot:

And now... he might become a part of another passion of mine!! That prospect is so unbelievable, I must be dreaming! Jake in a Spider-Man movie, as a villain! As Mysterio possibly!!

This must be some kind of illusion....
:cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"