James Gunn Is The Director!

Gunn's been given the keys to a new Lamborghini. No way he's gonna let someone else drive it.
Him and Safran are already in it.

Still waiting on Gunn to ****ing state the obvious.

I think it makes sense to have the showrunner open and close the seasons like russel t Davies and he who must not be named from buffy

FrSUk4dagAA8gOB

Merged with the director thread. We don’t need 2 threads.

I respect your decision @flickchick85 but I don’t why you couldn’t just close or delete the old thread(which already has quite a few pages already) and let the initial new thread I made remain separate.
Because there’s no reason to have 2 threads taking up forum space for one topic. This is how we’ve always done it, and we stated this on the previous page. The director thread usually just gets retitled when a director is named.

We can make new threads for the cast when they are announced though, because casting threads typically get a lot more traffic, images and video than director threads.

I mostly enjoy him for his mix of dirty humor, heightened action, deconstruction of 'heroes' and that is why Peacemaker rules...

I just don't see how that fits well with ol' Last Son of Krypton.

Phplj7P.gif

Gunn's full statement on his announcement as the director of Superman: Legacy feels like required reading IMO.

James Gunn on Twitter said:
"My brother Matt said, when he saw the release date, he started to cry. I asked him why. He said, 'Dude, it’s Dad’s birthday.' I hadn’t realized.

I lost my Dad almost three years ago. He was my best friend. He didn’t understand me as a kid, but he supported my love of comics and my love of film and I wouldn’t be making this movie now without him.

It has been a long road to this point. I was offered Superman years ago - I initially said no because I didn’t have a way in that felt unique and fun and emotional that gave Superman the dignity he deserved.

Then a bit less than a year ago I saw a way in, in many ways centering around Superman’s heritage - how both his aristocratic Kryptonian parents and his Kansas farmer parents inform who he is and the choices he makes.

So I chose to finally take on writing the script. But I was hesitant to direct, despite the constant pestering by Peter Safran and others to commit (sorry, Peter).

Just because I write something doesn’t mean I feel it in my bones, visually and emotionally, enough to spend over two years directing it, especially not something of this magnitude.

But, the long and the short of it is, I love this script, and I’m incredibly excited as we begin this journey."

I really think Gunn is going to nail this film.

Guess this belongs here more than the other thread--

I've only seen the GotG movies, and honestly I can't say they were for me... But I'm really hoping he steps up to the plate for this. He does seem genuinely passionate about it, he seems to have mostly good influences from what he's shared of his reading/research, that whole connection to his dad...

In regard to his actual style, he's someone who (again, based only off the GotG's) let's his characters have a heart, and who isn't afraid to go BIG and zany, both in terms of character and the surrounding world. Those are things Supes is desperately overdue for on film. People have only really tapped into a small fraction of what makes this guy and his world tick, to varying degrees of success... here's hoping Gunn can really push the envelope.

On the negative side-- man, his humour ain't for me. But I'd hope this is less out-and-out comedy and more action-adventure in tone. And while I love the concept of his big out there visuals, I find the execution lacking... But that could (hopefully) be an MCU problem that doesn't make its way over here?

Either way, my fingers and toes are crossed, and I'm feeling overall hopeful and excited about the possibilities so far.

EDIT: Oh wait, I've seen TSS and Peacemaker, too. Guess that says how much they stuck with me... either way, the above applies. Humour was hit and miss, characters and worlds were mostly cool... Big points for doing Starro in all his silly glory.

Last edited:
I’ve seen pretty much all of his movies. His sensibilities ain’t for me. Not the humor, not the “heart” that he’s always praised for (which feels forced and unearned to me more often than not). But he clearly has a reverence and respect for the character that the last guy didn’t, and he’s doing the right research, so I can only hope that this project, by getting him out of his usual wheelhouse, lends itself to some creative growth from him so that it might result in the first time I’ve ever truly enjoyed a James Gunn film.

But here’s the thing - I’ve never truly enjoyed a Superman film in my life either, despite him being my favorite fictional character, so even if I only mostly enjoy this with reservations, I’d still consider that a pretty big win.

As as was telling a friend on Twitter;

Gunn can bring some heart or emotion... usually it only works after he's presented said characters as losers, *******s, or un-heroic.

Now if he was continuing on with Snyder's un-heroic ******* Superman... that 'Gunn Character Wash' would work, but he's starting fresh.

So, I'm a bit hesitant.

I’ve seen pretty much all of his movies. His sensibilities ain’t for me. Not the humor, not the “heart” that he’s always praised for (which feels forced and unearned to me more often than not). But he clearly has a reverence and respect for the character that the last guy didn’t, and he’s doing the right research, so I can only hope that this project, by getting him out of his usual wheelhouse, lends itself to some creative growth from him so that it might result in the first time I’ve ever truly enjoyed a James Gunn film.

But here’s the thing - I’ve never truly enjoyed a Superman film in my life either, despite him being my favorite fictional character, so even if I only mostly enjoy this with reservations, I’d still consider that a pretty big win.
Kevin Bacon, though.

Re the bolded-- Honestly, same here. But I'll take someone at least attempting to do it over the last guy whose version of heart was making him look stoically sad at everything.

Firmly in the 'He can't do a worse job than the last guy' camp.

Which is about as good as it gets on this one, really.

I am sorry I can't hear you. The sound of Zod's neck getting broken by Superman's bare hands is getting in the way.

Oh I'm not a Snyder fan even remotely, just saying, if anyone, James Gunn would put dick jokes in a Superman movie. :lol:

We kind of already knew but I’m really excited to see what he does. I love what he said about his father and superman on twitter. I feel a lot better this time than last time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"