Apocalypse James McAvoy is Professor Charles Xavier!

I said this before, but I think it bears repeating: McAvoy should go down as one of the all-time great casting decisions alongside Jackman, RDJ, and Christopher Reeve. Obviously I love Fasbender as well, the guy gives it his all in every role, but McAvoy doesn't get anywhere near the amount of praise he deserves. He has such an effortless charm, and it's been a joy to watch him evolve over these three movies. There were numerous moments in Apocalypse where I was convinced I was looking at a younger Patrick Stewart. Here's to hoping he sticks around to lead this new team.

I couldn't have said this any better. James was amazing in the film. :hrt:

Did anyone else think the opening monologue by Charles was the best one yet?

Paraphrased..

"Mutants have incredible gifts yet they are children, lost. A gift can often be a curse. Give someone wings and they will fly too close to the sun. Give them the gift of prophecy and they will live in fear of what the future holds. Give them the most incredible powers, beyond imagination and they will think they should rule the world..."

Cuts to people in their droves worshiping Apocalypse.

I didn't understand it on first viewing but on 2nd its clear he's referring to Apocalypse. It gives me chills that hes actually calling Apocalypse, a self proclaimed God, just a child whose lost and needs guidance which is ironic because Apocalypse says the same to other mutants throughout the film.

Genius exposition.

Last edited:
Downgrade his role to supporting character in X-Men 7. He'll be in New Mutant's so he'll make it up there with another support role that combined can equal on big role.

Downgrade his role to supporting character in X-Men 7. He'll be in New Mutant's so he'll make it up there with another support role that combined can equal on big role.
I don't think James would want any downgrade. He said he loves Charles and wants to keep playing him, but only if he can move forward with the character and do different things. And as a fan I'm not really interested in seeing James playing a character who's just there for the sake of it.

I don't think James would want any downgrade. He said he loves Charles and wants to keep playing him, but only if he can move forward with the character and do different things. And as a fan I'm not really interested in seeing James playing a character who's just there for the sake of it.

I'm mixed about it--I love seeing James play Charles, but Xavier has never really been an "in the field" type of character. He's always been a spiritual guide--that doesn't mean he can't have a great role (Patrick Stewart had more lines and influence than Storm or Scott in X1 and much more than most in X2). But I think his time as a central protagonist might be at an end.

Isn't that where he should be by this point? The character is about 50 years old now.

Off this topic, an interesting tidbit of information about Stewart's Xavier that is going to be in Wolverine 3--apparently, they're altering Xavier to be a little more like McAvoy's Xavier to match up with the timeline. So now...Stewart is going to be playing the Xavier role influenced by James. And he's excited about it. That's kinda cool, I think.

Did anyone else think the opening monologue by Charles was the best one yet?

Paraphrased..

"Mutants have incredible gifts yet they are children, lost. A gift can often be a curse. Give someone wings and they will fly too close to the sun. Give them the gift of prophecy and they will live in fear of what the future holds. Give them the most incredible powers, beyond imagination and they will think they should rule the world..."

Cuts to people in their droves worshiping Apocalypse.

I didn't understand it on first viewing but on 2nd its clear he's referring to Apocalypse. It gives me chills that hes actually calling Apocalypse, a self proclaimed God, just a child whose lost and needs guidance which is ironic because Apocalypse says the same to other mutants throughout the film.

Genius exposition.

It's even more brilliant since it could also apply to

Phoenix, or at least Dark Phoenix

He's always been a spiritual guide--that doesn't mean he can't have a great role (Patrick Stewart had more lines and influence than Storm or Scott in X1 and much more than most in X2). But I think his time as a central protagonist might be at an end.
Spiritual guide = boring. He'll just...stand there being that morally impeccable character. To be honest, I'd rather see James leaving the franchise for good, if he can't take Charles Xavier any further. Will he keep shaving his hair and investing a lot of time and effort just to serve as a decorative character? Not a wise career choice.

I would be tremendously disappointed, but of course it's James' decision, and if they'll want him back.

And as a fan I'm not really interested in seeing James playing a character who's just there for the sake of it.

bye-bye-bye.gif

X-Men you know the title of these movies but who their never actually about are supposed to be about the actual X-MEN ensemble team. Take this cover from the highest selling comic of all time that could possibly be the highest selling comic book movie if ever done correctly and not Magneto vs Xavier VII features your boy Xavier can you make him out in the back as a supporting character where he belongs.

X-Men_1_1991_20th_Anniversary.jpg

Last edited:
Spiritual guide = boring. He'll just...stand there being that morally impeccable character. To be honest, I'd rather see James leaving the franchise for good, if he can't take Charles Xavier any further. Will he keep shaving his hair and investing a lot of time and effort just to serve as a decorative character? Not a wise career choice.

I would be tremendously disappointed, but of course it's James' decision, and if they'll want him back.

First, James expected to be bald for all three movies--it just didn't end up that way. And my guess is, with the mixed reaction from X:A, they are going to slow down production on the next one to get the bitter taste out of everyone's mouth. So...don't worry too much about James shaving his head all the time.

Being the spiritual guide is Xavier's role in X-men. Just like him eventually becoming bald--it was bound to happen. That was the expectation.

In X1, Xavier had some of the greatest scenes--he was involved up until the climax (which is typical for a spiritual guide), had great influence and discussions with the other characters and main protagonist (Wolverine), and had some of the best lines. "Well, I am pyschic, you know..."

In X2, he froze everyone at the museum, had a great moment with Wolverine in cerebro, great scene with Magneto in the prison, he was central to the plot (kidnapped, exploited, rescued), and finished up the second to last scene in the movie.

And he narrates the start of each movie.

X3 is crap--I'm ignoring that one. None of the characters were consistent.

Xavier really plays a crucial role in all the good X-movies, including the ones where he's a spiritual guide. I'm not disappointed in this because that's the way this was supposed to be in the end.

I'm mixed about it--I love seeing James play Charles, but Xavier has never really been an "in the field" type of character. He's always been a spiritual guide--that doesn't mean he can't have a great role (Patrick Stewart had more lines and influence than Storm or Scott in X1 and much more than most in X2). But I think his time as a central protagonist might be at an end.

Isn't that where he should be by this point? The character is about 50 years old now.

Off this topic, an interesting tidbit of information about Stewart's Xavier that is going to be in Wolverine 3--apparently, they're altering Xavier to be a little more like McAvoy's Xavier to match up with the timeline. So now...Stewart is going to be playing the Xavier role influenced by James. And he's excited about it. That's kinda cool, I think.

if you watch ending of DOFP it's clear patrick adjusted his portrayal of Xavier to be influenced by McAvoy.They want films to be more connected.The line in deadpool on mansion blowing up every few years was put in there to reference Apocalypse.of course the under-performing of apocalypse could change things after wolverine film.

if you watch ending of DOFP it's clear patrick adjusted his portrayal of Xavier to be influenced by McAvoy.They want films to be more connected.The line in deadpool on mansion blowing up every few years was put in there to reference Apocalypse.of course the under-performing of apocalypse could change things after wolverine film.

Honestly, I didn't feel that. The scene was really short and Stewart shot it before James came on set, so if he's influenced by James' Xavier, it would have to be the Xavier from FC.

Honestly, I didn't feel that. The scene was really short and Stewart shot it before James came on set, so if he's influenced by James' Xavier, it would have to be the Xavier from FC.

I did.there was clear attempt to make patrick's xavier more like mcavoy.

First, James expected to be bald for all three movies--it just didn't end up that way. And my guess is, with the mixed reaction from X:A, they are going to slow down production on the next one to get the bitter taste out of everyone's mouth. So...don't worry too much about James shaving his head all the time.

Being the spiritual guide is Xavier's role in X-men. Just like him eventually becoming bald--it was bound to happen. That was the expectation.

In X1, Xavier had some of the greatest scenes--he was involved up until the climax (which is typical for a spiritual guide), had great influence and discussions with the other characters and main protagonist (Wolverine), and had some of the best lines. "Well, I am pyschic, you know..."

In X2, he froze everyone at the museum, had a great moment with Wolverine in cerebro, great scene with Magneto in the prison, he was central to the plot (kidnapped, exploited, rescued), and finished up the second to last scene in the movie.

And he narrates the start of each movie.

X3 is crap--I'm ignoring that one. None of the characters were consistent.

Xavier really plays a crucial role in all the good X-movies, including the ones where he's a spiritual guide. I'm not disappointed in this because that's the way this was supposed to be in the end.

I like Patrick's Prof. X very much. And no I wouldn't say he is just a background role. But as James stated in his interview, it really depends on how they would develop the character further. If from now on Prof.X would just have the same tune, he might not be so interested in continuing.

The New mutants if happens in the past, James would be the Prof.X. 90s is still ok but a bit stretch as he still looks very young. Unless they will do it like in the comics, nobody ages, otherwise, Patrick can total come back for this role.

I did.there was clear attempt to make patrick's xavier more like mcavoy.

I didn't get that sense. Stewart's Xavier has always been charming, kind, a little bossy (he's the leader, so he would be) and has a good sense of humor.

The scene was very short. Maybe if it were a longer piece, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I like Patrick's Prof. X very much. And no I wouldn't say he is just a background role. But as James stated in his interview, it really depends on how they would develop the character further. If from now on Prof.X would just have the same tune, he might not be so interested in continuing.

The New mutants if happens in the past, James would be the Prof.X. 90s is still ok but a bit stretch as he still looks very young. Unless they will do it like in the comics, nobody ages, otherwise, Patrick can total come back for this role.

James' Xavier is my favorite now, just because you see the character arc more with him than Stewart (which makes sense, given the protagonist vs. spiritual guide roles).

That being said, for present day Xavier, I want Stewart. For continuity reasons--he's the right age, he does great with the role. I love him as Xavier as well.

Honestly, I would love--LOVE--to see a scene with Deadpool meeting older Xavier. Just the way Wade talks smack about him in the movie, "creepy, old, bald, Heaven's Gate looking MF..." I died! I was laughing with tears! I could just see these two baiting each other, Xavier obviously more subtly (and with less cursing--haha) but he's got a good sense of humor--it would be funny. :)

Honestly McAvoy owes FoX after that flop he starred in Frankenstein. Just take a damn reduced role. He'll have time to do other things win/win

Lawrence can kick rocks FoX gave her Joy and that didn't even double its budget.

Assassin Creed probably won't do much either for FoX. Idky they don't realize in X-Men the characters > the actor's.

It's not a coincidence that Jackman doesn't do squat box office wise outside of Wolverine. The X-Men > These Actor's

Last edited:
Honestly McAvoy owes FoX after that flop he starred in Frankenstein. Just take a damn reduced role. He'll have time to do other things win/win

Lawrence can kick rocks FoX gave her Joy and that didn't even double its budget.

Assassin Creed probably won't do much either for FoX. Idky they don't realize in X-Men the characters > the actor's.

It's not a coincidence that Jackman doesn't do squat box office wise outside of Wolverine. The X-Men > These Actor's

Victor Frankenstein flop is not McAvoy's fault, his acting was one of the highlights. Did he beg Fox to invest money for that movie? If he takes reduced role, it would not be because the Failure of Victor Frankenstein. McAvoy is an actor who is all about story so as long as the story is good and he has something to do with the character, I don't think he minds to do what Patrick did in OT.

Besides, based on your logic, every actors who stared in any Fox's flop would have to do whatever Fox wants them to do because apparently because of that failure, the Studio owes their asses. And what about Danniel Radcliffe? He was the first billing for VF.

Nevertheless, you are absolutely right about character (X-men) >>>>> actor. No argument here.

Last edited:
Honestly McAvoy owes FoX after that flop he starred in Frankenstein. Just take a damn reduced role.
What a ridiculous thing to say. More like Fox owes him. James gave a great performance and worked his ass off promoting the film, which was killed not because he didn't dedicate himself as an actor, but because Fox made a mess with the release date, promoted it like ZERO, and probably interfered with the final product, bringing in editors who messed with the film's structure by removing/reducing pivotal scenes. How is this the actor's fault?

I don't know about Jackman, but James has an acting career outside of X-Men that has nothing to do with box office competition. He can even leave films for good and just be a respected stage actor in London.
Everything is about "box office" these days; I certainly don't care about it when admiring good acting.

Take this cover from the highest selling comic of all time that could possibly be the highest selling comic book movie if ever done correctly and not Magneto vs Xavier VII features your boy Xavier can you make him out in the back as a supporting character where he belongs.
Just like Jean belongs too? :o
A bit hard trying to understand a sentence without commas, but I guess that's what you were trying to say. Yeah, "unimportant" characters belong together. :whatever:

Last edited:
Just saw the film. As usual, I loved James's performance as Charles in this film. I also appreciated on how much focus his character got during the final battle with Apocalypse, let alone his final shot in the film.

The only thing that really peeves me is how his character gets NO CREDIT for the role that he played in DOFP. Hell, the dude is responsible for preventing a nuclear war between the US and Russia within the X-Men Universe and yet the guy gets no acknowledgement for his actions while Mystique constantly gets praised for her role in DOFP

He seemed rather eager to shave his head. I mean, he did it with Stewart on video chat.

I think there is still plenty of meat in the role. I mean, we only see glimpses of him being the mentor role to young students. Ideally, he gets to plenty of that with New Mutants.

Decided this is my favorite live action depiction of both characters:

aefafae.png

Did Xavier wear that outfit in the film? I dont remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"